Scanner overcharges put Ralphs in hot water with LA

Full story: Daily Breeze

The Los Angeles City Attorney's Office today announced new misdemeanor charges against Ralphs Grocery Co.
Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Sep 25, 2010
HAHAHA

Cedarpines Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2010

Judged:

I like shopping at Ralphs but I know for a fact that they do jack there prices up to outrages prices. Look and see what a 12 pack of Budlight cost. It cost about $13.00 - $14.00 when you can get a 12 pack of bulight at Rite Aid for 5.99. There beer is expensive even when they are on sale. Its not only that I notice that you have to buy alot of 1 particular items to be able to get a good deal. But one thing I can say there stores are clean and there meat selection always look fresh and there workers are nice. Bring down the cost a litttle and that will bring in alot more business and gain you more customer.
Texas

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2010

Judged:

HAHAHA wrote:
I like shopping at Ralphs but I know for a fact that they do jack there prices up to outrages prices. Look and see what a 12 pack of Budlight cost. It cost about $13.00 -$14.00 when you can get a 12 pack of bulight at Rite Aid for 5.99. There beer is expensive even when they are on sale. Its not only that I notice that you have to buy alot of 1 particular items to be able to get a good deal. But one thing I can say there stores are clean and there meat selection always look fresh and there workers are nice. Bring down the cost a litttle and that will bring in alot more business and gain you more customer.
I thought y'all bought Lone Star
banosd

Torrance, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2010

Judged:

With them it's best to stick to their sale items only. It sounds like the scanner charges are about meats and frozen weighed items, not normal stuff. I check the receipts all the time and their scans are much more accurate than Target or Von's.
rich b

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2010

Judged:

Jesus! I should have know better than to click on a link that leads to the Daily Breeze. This site is in serious need of some bandwidth. F**k! And markets that overcharge and underweigh is news these days?
tired news

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2010

Judged:

Attack "news" stories against Ralpsh are older than my mama. Y'all need some new material there.
DodgersFan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2010

Judged:

Here in the South, Kroger, the Ralphs parent co, overcharges on about 1 out of 4 shopping trips. Usually it's because of codes, or scans that do not match posted prices, especially on Sale items. The management blames everyone but themselves. They will correct the error for your transaction, but the next person in line gets overcharged for the same item. There is no agency here that checks or cites or fines, so they don't care.

Kroger is not a Honest operation. I remember when Vons would give you the first item free if they over charged.

So I decided to try another chain store. I bought 18 grocery items at Target and was Overcharged on each one, which amounted to a $ 43 Overcharge.

I raised hell and they gave me the items for Free and a $15 Target Gift Card.

So watch what you are charged, and raise Hell with the Manager when overcharged,,,it pays and it's fun.
You are what you eat

Torrance, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2010

Judged:

and you are high fructose corn syrup if you shop at Ralphs.

You eat preserved cookies, high fructose soda and salty potato chips.
You deserve to be ripped off.

If you try to eat healthy, the fruits and vegetables are pesticide laden and tasteless.

Shop at the local Farmer's Market for some real food.

Eat only GRASS FED beef and organic chicken, stop being a tool of the industrialized food conglomerates who cheat your health for their profits.

Watch King of Corn and Food Inc. documentaries,

just an opinion
WSJisaJERK

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2010

Judged:

Been going on for years.

Maybe a million dollar fine will get their attention?
Neil Proffitt

Manhattan Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

Judged:

Sure, raise a fuss when you're overcharged. Make a scene. Gripe about how you're being ripped-off by big business. But do you say one word when you're undercharged? Or do you keep quiet, hoping the clerk won't notice? It works both ways, doesn't it?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

Judged:

banosd wrote:
With them it's best to stick to their sale items only. It sounds like the scanner charges are about meats and frozen weighed items, not normal stuff.
You're right. Since Obama came into office, meat and frozen food are no longer "normal stuff." They're luxury items!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

Judged:

DodgersFan wrote:
I bought 18 grocery items at Target and was Overcharged on each one, which amounted to a $ 43 Overcharge.
$43 overcharge on eighteen grocery items? B.S. That would be an average overcharge of $2.39 on each item. Liar.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2010

Judged:

You are what you eat wrote:
If you try to eat healthy, the fruits and vegetables are pesticide laden and tasteless.
Shop at the local Farmer's Market for some real food.
The "local" farmers market features only items from Hawthorne farms, right? Oh, wait. Hawthorne doesn't have any farms.

If you think "local" farmers do not use pesticides, you're nuts.
StoryM

Urbana, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2010

Neil Proffitt wrote:
Sure, raise a fuss when you're overcharged. Make a scene. Gripe about how you're being ripped-off by big business. But do you say one word when you're undercharged? Or do you keep quiet, hoping the clerk won't notice? It works both ways, doesn't it?
I agree with you. Those who complain about overcharging will not say anything if they are undercharged. It doesn't happen as often but it does happen.

Regardless of where you shop, you should always check your receipt and make sure that the prices match what is displayed at the shelf. Krogers does have a Scan Right Policy and if the receipt does not match the shelf tag, you get your item for free. You just have to contact the front desk and/or the store manager. Most overchargers are not intentional but are due to employees who are not trained properly or just don't care about procedures.
warrior

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2010

I get overcharged nearly 70% of my visits. I've been undercharged once and I told them about it and they didn't seem to care just as much as they don't care when I am overcharged.

But the thing is ... when Ralphs undercharges, it is their fault ... they cheated themselves -- just as much as it's their fault when they overcharge and cheat the customer.

I tried to help Ralphs about my one undercharge experience but the lack of care about the procedures goes across the board whether it's for or against the customer.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kroger Discussions

Search the Kroger Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Jun 29 Beanie Shoemaker 87
Food stamp arrivals drive midnight run on groce... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Elizabeth 20
Hour Trouble Apr '14 halfheartedworker 1
Altria Group: An Attractive Investment Apr '14 Chuckles 1
What should Key Retailing be renamed (Jun '09) Oct '13 seale 114
Ralphs to offer $4 generic drugs 6:52AM ET (Jun '08) Aug '13 Jaeden 2
As theft rises, stores step up anti-crime efforts (Jun '09) Aug '13 sweettalkinguy 6
•••
•••