samara

Cincinnati, OH

#64 Aug 31, 2010
Kroger, the largest grocer with $8 billion in debt
it must be failing! who in the hell wants to invest in this comany
geyser

United States

#65 Sep 13, 2010
What do you all think of this new Quevision Kroger has started?I think that's yet another part of key retailing
Joe

Scott Depot, WV

#66 Sep 13, 2010
geyser wrote:
What do you all think of this new Quevision Kroger has started?I think that's yet another part of key retailing
Another attempt to take care of business by waxing MBA. Let's go back to putting food in the bag, transacting and thanking our customers. It's not really that hard. The market is up today put look at poor sorry assed KR. Give up the "key retailing" regardless of who loses face from such a sorry attempt to reinvent our industry. How far does this have to go??????????

Since: Nov 10

United States

#68 Nov 21, 2010
I work in michigan and when ever we have a key retailing evaluation we fail and we are being told that we are the only ones failing and that all over the rest of the company key retailing works is this true is michigan just a big failure if anyone out there has ever passed i would like to know speak up give the rest of us some hope
frozen head

AOL

#69 Nov 30, 2010
we are in the mid south division and only one store in our district has passed key retailing. So don't believe all the bull you are hearing. We hear the samething.
haha

Chicago, IL

#70 Dec 17, 2010
I think there is a major gap in-between divisions. Key Retailing is merely a check list to make everything but our jobs is completed. Like bathroom checks for example. Your counted off if you're missing one hour of one day. I thought taking care of the customer was more important. but this is extreme. At the same time it holds shitty department heads accountable. Just a way to manipulate the system. If you can't get someone fired changed the rules and exceptions.
pay forward

Stone Mountain, GA

#71 Dec 27, 2010
i think kay retailing is a way to get ride of good employees , so they will have min wage employees that they donot care jack about company .
in way they destroying our job .
every management they think it doesnot effect them , but when shit falls thay have to pick up no one to call kay ratailing just kick all his good employees out the door .
and think union didnot do nothing to help easy this stress
Dillons employee

Hutchinson, KS

#72 Dec 28, 2010
haha wrote:
I think there is a major gap in-between divisions. Key Retailing is merely a check list to make everything but our jobs is completed. Like bathroom checks for example. Your counted off if you're missing one hour of one day. I thought taking care of the customer was more important. but this is extreme. At the same time it holds shitty department heads accountable. Just a way to manipulate the system. If you can't get someone fired changed the rules and exceptions.
We have passed Key Retailing at my store everytime we are checked for certification. We are now a learning store for our division. Key Retailing works because we have all bought in. We don't bitch and moan about it, CAO, ELMS, etc. We make it work.
We run $800000 a week with a backroom for a store that runs half that, but we make it work within the standards set by K.R. Our store is very organized, low overtime and very low out of stocks. Our management team is very succesful because they are on the sales floor directing associates, engaging with customers and working stock on the shelves. Key Retailing will never work in your stores if you don't give it your 100% best effort. We are always told that the best thing we can do is work whatever program we are given by G.O. to the best of our abilities and prove them wrong that it works. 90% of the time, we are wrong.
Scott 696

Kittanning, PA

#73 Jan 3, 2011
Ryan wrote:
Key Retailing has an effective goal- streamlining stores, thereby increasing consistency and efficiency.
Where it runs into problems is in the execution of the thing. The biggest issues I run into with it:
- A failure to take into account the impact of micro markets. It always has been the case that customers are detail oriented. It is those little things that stick with them, and my store has lost a meaninful amount due to condensing and reducing product lines. Even something as simple as anchovie paste can let a $200 a week customer walk out the door.
- Too much micromanagement. Key Retailing often behaves like an artificial beaurocracy. It comes in, and lays down its law often in the face of common sense. One of the most telling incidents to me? Taping a square on to the receiving dock floor to let us know where to place pallets while they're being broken down. Nevermind that our stock room is small enough that said box is regularly covered by a mass of unloaded pallets. Nevermind that in order to break down a pallet on the box, the stock carts almost inevitably block off the walk way to the dumpster and/or one of the coolers. So, naturally, we ignore the box. Thus, we are literally outside the box.
Key Retailing is a hammer. Some problems are nails, and thus are solved by KR pretty effectively. Other problems are definitely not.
Everything about this is crap, we have a similar problem down here in ga, the trucks come in and where do they put it? right in front of every single cart ,then we have to dig everything out wasting precious time. Team stocking guides are a joke and are never accurate not to mention a huge waste of time. I was around when this key retail shit came down from ohio and every six months or so some suit from atlanta comes up with a different way to do the same thing, kroger needs to get rid of this bottom line, god knows they don't listen to the people who are down in the trenches everyday. I started at cubfoods almost 20 years ago and moved to kroger in 2002 and never in my life have i seen the amount of b/s that abounds here at kroger. Our dept hours have been slashed from 648 to below 600 in just 3 weeks and might go lower putting additonal pressure on us that are full time to try and meet almost unrealistic goals setforth by this program.
Scott 696

Kittanning, PA

#74 Jan 3, 2011
Dillons employee wrote:
<quoted text>
We have passed Key Retailing at my store everytime we are checked for certification. We are now a learning store for our division. Key Retailing works because we have all bought in. We don't bitch and moan about it, CAO, ELMS, etc. We make it work.
We run $800000 a week with a backroom for a store that runs half that, but we make it work within the standards set by K.R. Our store is very organized, low overtime and very low out of stocks. Our management team is very succesful because they are on the sales floor directing associates, engaging with customers and working stock on the shelves. Key Retailing will never work in your stores if you don't give it your 100% best effort. We are always told that the best thing we can do is work whatever program we are given by G.O. to the best of our abilities and prove them wrong that it works. 90% of the time, we are wrong.
I think your a manager, only a manager thinks like you do. Every store is different, we have managers that take a minimalistic approach to everything and flat out don't give a shit unless their bottom line is threatened. We pass recert everytime those stiffs come around as well, but the intensity is upped everytime because nothing gets done the way it's supposed to till the last minute.
Scott 696

Kittanning, PA

#75 Jan 3, 2011
StoryM wrote:
Key Retailing has done a lot of good for Kroger and yes there is still room for improvement but that is true of any program.
Key Retailing looks at all of the different procedures that each division uses to do a specific job and then they compare them to see which one is the best overall procedure.
That procedure is the one that they roll out across the company. But most people don't like change and will fight it every step of the way. They will say things like: "But we have always done it this way." or "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
I designed a distribution program for an auto parts company that doubled the number of orders they processed every hour. However, there were people at the company who refused to use the program because it would require them to change the way they have always done things.
When I design something new, I always tell people that it will slow them down at first but once they get used to doing things a new way they will see an improvement. Most of the skeptics have come back later and say, "Hey, your right. This is a better way of doing things."
and how long did it take to be effective? I have been around this since it was started Over six years ago.
Scott 696

Kittanning, PA

#76 Jan 3, 2011
kch wrote:
kroger is miss managed .The store in smyrna has five managers and some days they are all there at the same time ,and maybe one on weekends .Then they will pay a clerk relief pay to close the store late. What the hell is there a training program for, they do not learn anything .The employees attitudes are terrible , and getting worse .I have been in stores that are going to have inspections for big bosses coming into town .They will go to no exspense for this to make the stores look good,has if they always look like this.Then get a pat on the back ...good job .HA! they should stay in town a couple of days unanounced ,then go back to the stores ,boy would they be surprised.Its like not taken a shower for a year then putting your best suit on .you look good,but when the suits gone you still stink! they should spend more money on the looks ,and upgrades of there stores than on stupid programs like key retailing.
i agree, everytime the suits come down the store is spotless in very sense of the word but a soon as they are gone managment lets everything fall apart until it's time to do it again. We have a bunch of dimwitted college trained managers, some have never worked retail in their lives.
Scott 696

Kittanning, PA

#77 Jan 3, 2011
Key retailing was thought up by some college educated suit sitting in a dark room smoking a fat one.
geyser

United States

#78 Feb 10, 2011
I hate this quevision because this one customer checking out and only one waiting is HIGHLY unrealistic.Especially when there is not enough front end help or front end hours are cut.As for calling for people on the sales floor to help..that just takes time from their job they could be doing.Pretty much a no win situation.Who knows what other idiotic things they will come up with this year?
Jdog

Dallas, TX

#79 Feb 18, 2011
Does anyone else here have to go to a seminar for this quevison bs. I'm being told we have to go to meeting at some hotel that's like 40 miles away I'm just a supervisor making minimum wage they're asking alot for that
Louisville

AOL

#80 Mar 2, 2011
Kroger doesn't want people working for them. They want robots.
Louisville

AOL

#81 Mar 2, 2011
Jdog wrote:
Does anyone else here have to go to a seminar for this quevison bs. I'm being told we have to go to meeting at some hotel that's like 40 miles away I'm just a supervisor making minimum wage they're asking alot for that
You're a supervisor and only making minimum wage? Why on earth would you do such a thing? I've been with Kroger for over 20 years and there's absolutely no way I would want to be a supervisor or department head. I know what they have to put up with.
Frozen JOHN

Clinton Township, MI

#82 Mar 4, 2011
I'v been working for kroger for 15 years in michigan. I'v allway's been the faster then anyonelse at stocking. From the time I punch
in till the time I leave I'm constantly working.
Before key retailing I had time to finish my dept.
and then help out in another dept. Everyday I worked. I allway's put in extra time to help
out the store. There was a time where "before key-retailing" they would send me from one store to another to help clean up depts, and finish large amounts of stock. I was allway's applauded for my efforts. I'm told now that my efforts are not good enough. I'm consisantly harrassed by managment. I'm in charge of the frozen section in
my store. My help is constantly used elsewhere, cashiering for "crap vision" bagging ect.The front end is kept so tightly budgeted. Kroger plans for no room for error one call in then the ship sinks. I fill out my tsg every morning then I get yelled at for not getting it done on my day off. Union is useless. A tsg doesn't save time. you can assign tasks but it is no subsitute for telling them what you need done. Most of these steps should be done by store managment. SO we can get back to serving the customers. With "key retailing" no matter how hard I work nothing is ever done. Too many things have an added extra step. I'm told that will only take 5 mins. after 50 things that take 5 mins one day is gone... THere alway's harrassing me allway's telling me I'm doing a shitty job. MY backroom is neat and swept and Yet my dept. is allway's full unless i'm off. I keep 1 or 0 out of stocks, despite being behind I manage to stay up on things when it comes to stocking. It's takes magor personal sacrifise to keep up with this ever rising bar. I like to pride myself on my work, but the way I'm treated baffles me. I personally do 70 cases an hour. Kroger management is right I must be a s*** head to work like this for a company that does not seem to care. Kroger is the only grocery store I'v worked for. Would i be treated this bad at walmart? Is it my pay rate? Get this my dumbness goes futher. I write my own schedule. Poeple call in alot at my store. SO I consistantly work on my day's off and they are happy to see me. Then when the overtime bill is checked at the end of the week, they threaten me with write ups and worse termination. Yet they wanted me there. I'm told we didn't know how much you worked. When I actually do work 40 hours they blame me for not being there if someone calls off. I ask if I can write up the consistant callers and I'm told I can't. That they will take care of it. The managers at my store rigged the customer tracking survey they made it available to only poeple they knew would give them a good score. Only a third of the store took the last survey. I don't complain much. This would be the first time. I'm tired of this treatment. Before key retailing I had everything running smoothly.. I do everthing I'm asked with key-retailing and now my 100% is not good enough they somehow think I can do 80 or 90 cases per hour. They somehow think I can control things on my off day's, and they get mad when the key-retailing doesn't get done when I'm off. Everyone knows there job, yet they feel no need to do it. Saying I won't work that hard for 7.00 an hour. I wish this would end does anyone know of a job for me that will pay well with out constant bull***, and harrassment. What happened to a thankyou. In a video that they had us watch it showed how key retailing made it easier to locate items in the backroom. It changed nothing but add to my backstock by giving me less time to check the items on it. luckly I still keep it down but I thought key retailing was supposed to help not hinder backtstock. Every bar just gets higher when I'm already at the cieling how do I go higher?
Louisville

AOL

#83 Mar 4, 2011
Before Key Retailing started people would fight for department head jobs. Now, nobody wants to take them. The dairy depatment at my store has probably gone through at least half a dozen department heads within the last two years. Here's a funny story. The bakery manager at my store was told to put more fruit pies on a table that already had plenty on it. When all those pies had to be marked down because they didn't sell and were going out of date she was told that they had baked too many and it was causing shrink. Now explain that. If you know you only sell so many of a certain item a day it doesn't make any sense to make 3 times that many just to fill up a shelf.
psx

Miami, FL

#84 Mar 8, 2011
Regarding this quevision program,what do you all think of these new Kroger commercials that are saying "faster checkouts"?I think people do get a faster checkout for the most part,provided that the customer in front of them isn't fumbling for their kroger card,their method of payment,using multiple WIC vouchers,etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kroger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Krogers discriminating handicapped people Nov '17 Disabled kroger s... 1
pay raise equals less hours!! Aug '17 TonyaG 1
News Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Aug '17 sarahleespring 99
How to do a Wic transaction (Jun '17) Jul '17 Renovator K 2
Hour Trouble (Apr '14) Jul '17 Renovator K 2
East side Kroger (May '17) May '17 Lalalala 1
Hurtd (Apr '17) Apr '17 Dee 1
More from around the web