Shell joins Kroger's gas-savings program | The Columbus Dispatch

Kroger is turning higher gas prices into an opportunity to gain customers, announcing today that it is expanding its gas-discount program. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
AVZ

Reynoldsburg, OH

#2 Apr 28, 2011
Funny Shell is the gas station to use Winn-Dixie Fuel Perks. Amazing you have to use these loyalty cards or be punished with higher prices.
UnhappyKrogerSho pper

Westerville, OH

#3 Apr 28, 2011
"The offer is valid for up to 35 gallons per purchase ..."

Does this mean Kroger will continue to arbitrarily restrict gasoline sales to one vehicle per transaction?

This restriction favors driver's of large vehicle's over driver's of smaller, more fuel efficient ones while implicitly encouraging the latter to engage in a very unsafe practice of hauling multi-gallon gasoline containers.

Monday of this week a young 'gas Nazi' at Kroger's 6th Avenue (Lancaster) station shut off the pump after I filled my wife's vehicle disallowing me to fill the tank in mine (no extra or out-of-the-way driving, just good timing to be at the same station at the same time).

In a 'new' transaction it cost $0.279 per gallon more - we bought a total of 28.9 gallons to fill both vehicles.
R U Kidding

Columbus, OH

#4 Apr 28, 2011
Our family of five has never been able to purchase enough groceries at Kroger to earn more than a ten cent per gallon discount. Seriously, how many hotdogs and macaroni and cheese do you have to buy to get a decent discount?!
I Know

Columbus, OH

#5 Apr 28, 2011
If you think you're getting a deal, you're **** in the head. Those fuel "discounts" are rolled in to the price of your groceries and their fuel prices are often higher than at surrounding stations. Kroger is the master of making you think you're getting a deal when you're not. If you watch prices, you'll notice that one week's "every day low price" is actually higher than the previous week's and if they say they cut the price on 3000 items, they raised the price on 6000 other items.
The Real Deal

Columbus, OH

#6 Apr 28, 2011
And if you think Kroger is the only doing it, then you are more gullible that there customers.

Like everything else, buyer beware.
I Know wrote:
If you think you're getting a deal, you're **** in the head. Those fuel "discounts" are rolled in to the price of your groceries and their fuel prices are often higher than at surrounding stations. Kroger is the master of making you think you're getting a deal when you're not. If you watch prices, you'll notice that one week's "every day low price" is actually higher than the previous week's and if they say they cut the price on 3000 items, they raised the price on 6000 other items.
Just curious

Naples, FL

#7 Apr 28, 2011
Why would anyone prefer the Kroger program? It offers a $.10 off per gallon discount for every $100 spent. Giant Eagle offers $.40 off per gallon for every $100 spent. Kroger's maximum savings is $1 per gallon. There is no limit on Giant Eagle's savings, so one could accumulate enough discounts to get their gas for free. Giant Eagle is the clear winner in offering great value for its customers.
Hop Along Buckaroo

Columbus, OH

#8 Apr 28, 2011
All this talk about gas makes me want to go to the crapper.
I get my gas at Chipolte!
paul

Coshocton, OH

#9 Apr 28, 2011
Send a Giant Eagle store to Zanesville and give Krogers some competition.
George Bursck

Columbus, OH

#10 Apr 28, 2011
R U Kidding wrote:
Our family of five has never been able to purchase enough groceries at Kroger to earn more than a ten cent per gallon discount. Seriously, how many hotdogs and macaroni and cheese do you have to buy to get a decent discount?!
You should get some of them twinkies too! They add up fast.
victor

Columbus, OH

#11 Apr 28, 2011
sounds like a rip off
notaDUMBASSCRAT

Columbus, OH

#12 Apr 28, 2011
WTF!!! I used to spend 750.00 and could save up to 60.00 per month and now I'll have to spend 1000.00 to save 35.00 in a one-time-use !!!!! KROGER SUCKS
Gift Card King

Columbus, OH

#13 Apr 28, 2011
R U Kidding wrote:
Our family of five has never been able to purchase enough groceries at Kroger to earn more than a ten cent per gallon discount. Seriously, how many hotdogs and macaroni and cheese do you have to buy to get a decent discount?!
The way to do it is to buy gift cards for stores where you'll shop anyway...Giant Eagle and Kroger often offer double fuel rewards on Gift Card purchases. I buy cards for Target, Home Depot, Macy's, even Southwest Airlines...the points add up quick and I was going to shop at those places anyway. I know contractors who load up on Lowe's or Home Depot gift cards for their purchases and they haven't paid for gas in a few years.
WHO CARES

Canal Winchester, OH

#14 Apr 28, 2011
So where is the savings. Kroger gas is almost as high as Shell gas. Go to UDF or swifty for better savings w/o the discount cards. I am not going to buy $1000. of food to save 1.00 per gallon in gas. At a max of 35 gallons . That is a lot of groceries.
FedUp

Westerville, OH

#15 Apr 28, 2011
Just curious wrote:
Why would anyone prefer the Kroger program? It offers a $.10 off per gallon discount for every $100 spent. Giant Eagle offers $.40 off per gallon for every $100 spent. Kroger's maximum savings is $1 per gallon. There is no limit on Giant Eagle's savings, so one could accumulate enough discounts to get their gas for free. Giant Eagle is the clear winner in offering great value for its customers.
Thanks, I'm switching to Giant Eagle. Another plus: To get into/out of the company's Lancaster store one doesn't have to contend with those awful speed bumps and the parking lot seems to be more driver friendly.
Forever Cowtown

Maineville, OH

#16 Apr 28, 2011
This has been going on for at least 8 months, welcome to the rest of the world santral ahia.
North Campus

Columbus, OH

#17 Apr 28, 2011
Just curious wrote:
Why would anyone prefer the Kroger program? It offers a $.10 off per gallon discount for every $100 spent. Giant Eagle offers $.40 off per gallon for every $100 spent. Kroger's maximum savings is $1 per gallon. There is no limit on Giant Eagle's savings, so one could accumulate enough discounts to get their gas for free. Giant Eagle is the clear winner in offering great value for its customers.
Giant Eagle is a winner for Pennsylvania? Kroger sells far more Ohio-made food items, while Giant Eagle brings Pennsylvania's foods to Ohio.

Furthermore, the food items in Giant Eagle are significantly higher than the food items in Kroger.
tom the traveler

Hyattsville, MD

#18 Apr 28, 2011
Long live competition and fee markets.

This is what happens when freedom and competition mix. You get businesses knocking each other out to help the consumer.

This is very unlike the govt. and public sector employees most of whom hold a monopoly like the post office and the public schools. As long as their monopoly holds, they will never go the extra mile for the taxpayer.

Now in the case of politicians in a competitive district, they will do almost anything for your vote. Unfortunately, since the politicians draw the district lines, competive districts are few.

Now if you are a big business and more than one govt. is courting you to move, then again, the services provided by the govt. is wonderful.

Alas, for the individual, about all you can do is vote with your feet and move. Eventually, the monopoly politicians get the message, sometimes they don't and you end up like Detroit.
Money Hog

Columbus, OH

#19 Apr 28, 2011
Kroger fuel perks stink. I get 3 cents off. Giant Eagle perks add up much faster. I can get 60 or 80 cents off periodically. I bring extra 5-gallon jugs to get my 30 gallons of gasoline.
Congress Works For Us

Hilliard, OH

#20 Apr 28, 2011
Gift Card King wrote:
<quoted text>
The way to do it is to buy gift cards for stores where you'll shop anyway...Giant Eagle and Kroger often offer double fuel rewards on Gift Card purchases. I buy cards for Target, Home Depot, Macy's, even Southwest Airlines...the points add up quick and I was going to shop at those places anyway. I know contractors who load up on Lowe's or Home Depot gift cards for their purchases and they haven't paid for gas in a few years.
Exactly. Especially the home improvement stores. Does anyone ever go in there and spend less than $200? That's 80c a gallon in discounts from Giant Eagle, which saves $15 on a typical fill-up.

You're going to the other places anyway, right?
Do the Math

Zanesville, OH

#21 Apr 28, 2011
The old Kroger program allowed me to save 50 cents on four fill ups if I spent $750 a month. On a 15-gallon tank that is $7.50 a tank, $30 a month in savings. Now, if I spend $750, I save 70 cents one time, for savings of $10.50. Nice job Krogers, way to cost yourself customers. Giant Eagle offers 10 cents off every 50 dollars I spend. For $750 a month, I would earn $1.50 off per gallon for a savings of $22.50 on a a 15-gallon tank.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kroger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What should Key Retailing be renamed (Jun '09) Dec 12 An observer 117
Moms Demand Action Calls On Kroger Family Of St... Dec 6 Independent1 56
OUR Walmart Demands Chain Pay $15/Hr., While UF... Dec 2 The Hack Checker 3
Free coupons Nov 25 angie Young 1
Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Nov '14 TIREDOFIT 91
Rumor of Kroger Coming Back Sep '14 LordHDR1 3
Food stamp arrivals drive midnight run on groce... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Elizabeth 20
More from around the web