State Senator Introduces Bill; Stop F...

State Senator Introduces Bill; Stop Food Deserts | Ohio News Network (ONN)

There are 26 comments on the 10TV WBNS story from Jan 28, 2011, titled State Senator Introduces Bill; Stop Food Deserts | Ohio News Network (ONN). In it, 10TV WBNS reports that:

At a vacant and boarded up grocery store, Natalie Pierce said that she use to shop at a Kroger store in her Bond Hill neighborhood of Cincinnati.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 10TV WBNS.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SmallBiz

Columbus, OH

#1 Jan 28, 2011
Residents steal the store blind and then whine when it packs up and leaves.
2 cents

Elmhurst, IL

#2 Jan 28, 2011
Second that!
avz

North Fort Myers, FL

#3 Jan 29, 2011
Agree 100% Westside is a grocery desert. Nothing from downtown to past I-270. Central Point, Great Western, Hague & Broad, Norton & Broad, all gone. There has to be an unfilled need there.
LEGALIZE IT

Ashburn, VA

#4 Jan 29, 2011
They are DRIVEN OUT of poor , aka BLACK neighborhoods BECAUSE OF BLACK VIOLENCE AND CRIME.

they would need much more than 10% of CAT to make up for the LOSSES DUE TO BLACK THIEVERY.

all the SHOPLIFTING, BOUNCED CHECKS, STOLEN GOODS RETURNED FOR REFUNDS.

BLACKS HAVE EARNED FOOD DESERTS with their CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR
delaware resident

Radnor, OH

#5 Jan 29, 2011
this is a bad idea for a law. our lawmakers need to balance the budget and insteed are having to deel with crap like this insteed.
Athletic supporter

Dublin, OH

#6 Jan 29, 2011
No business owner wants the risk.
someone who knows

Middlesboro, KY

#7 Jan 29, 2011
LEGALIZE IT wrote:
They are DRIVEN OUT of poor , aka BLACK neighborhoods BECAUSE OF BLACK VIOLENCE AND CRIME.
they would need much more than 10% of CAT to make up for the LOSSES DUE TO BLACK THIEVERY.
all the SHOPLIFTING, BOUNCED CHECKS, STOLEN GOODS RETURNED FOR REFUNDS.
BLACKS HAVE EARNED FOOD DESERTS with their CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR
Kroger Co used to hire CPD Special Duty at it's inner city stores to help curb the theft and robbery threat. Kroger decided to eliminate them this year.
Allan

Columbus, OH

#8 Jan 29, 2011
If citizens in these areas took a little community pride then just maybe the stores wouldnt move out. Seems like all the hoods in the neigborhood want to hang out around these stores, shoplifting is a big problem, and then of course come the teenies with their spray cans. Think all this cleanup is free? Think again, the buck doesnt stop with the store, it comes back to me and you in raised prices.......
James

Columbus, OH

#9 Jan 29, 2011
Oh and by the way leave the darn shopping carts at the stores, where they belong, dont use them like a Cadillac.
just a thought

Cincinnati, OH

#10 Jan 29, 2011
I agree with every one of the first 9 posters....and that doesn't happen often. I get sick and tired of hearing about "the poor people 'trapped' in their poor neighborhoods" ....but when it comes time to party or find trouble, everyone finds their way from the east side hoods to the west side hoods and vice-versa, and to downtown, just fine. This bill is just "feel-good" eye wash. Offer more tax incentives (from broke city, county, and state governments) to private business. Nothing says they'll take that bait anyway. If Kroger already left an area, pretty much for all the reasons everyone listed above, they aren't coming back for a 10 percent tax break or whatever they're proposing. It sounds like they interviewed a senior for the story. There are services already in place that can deliver them food, will assist them with shopping, or transport them to a good grocery store. As for Dante and LaWanda, if their afternoon snack is going to be hot Cheetos, a Tahitian Treat, and a Black and Mild from the corner Stop-N-Rob, the Government forcing Kroger to build a new super store in Avondale won't change that. IMHO. BTW, I used to run the same beats Cecil used to when he was CPD.
just a thought

Cincinnati, OH

#11 Jan 29, 2011
Actually, when I commented that I agreed with ALL above posters, I guess I misread #3, because it sounds like you agree with this government intervention nonsense. I will agree with your observation of the lack of grocery stores in the area you listed, and that there is probably an unfilled need there for some residents. I don't agree with more government to fix the problem. What they need to do is balance the budget and make this state more attractive to businesses to expand, relocate, and develop here; which will equal more jobs, more money in the economy, etc.
one more thought

Cincinnati, OH

#12 Jan 29, 2011
Before anyone jumps on me about the "Dante and LaWanda" comment, I could just as easily insert "Cletus and SueEllen".
judy

Cutler, OH

#13 Jan 29, 2011
If people do not spend their money when stories are in the area the store will close. You can not expect stories to stay open if they are not making money. Moral is support your neighbor stores.
The end is near

Defiance, OH

#14 Jan 29, 2011
Yes, the government knows best! It must choose the winners and losers in the market place. This bill should mandate the government take money from productive businesses and spend it in areas where no one else is willing to invest their own money. The government should also only give this money to businesses that will support them politically.
WTF

Chillicothe, OH

#15 Jan 29, 2011
We don't need more government regulation of business. We need less government intevention and intrusion into business. If these folks want a law to promote this sort of crap then perhaps they could go to Venezula. Ole chavez will help them out.
Faung

West Jordan, UT

#16 Jan 31, 2011
I have store near that closed Krogers. People steal from me. They say bad words to my workers. They give fake money. I loose lots of money.
ugh

Elmhurst, IL

#17 Feb 1, 2011
The end is near wrote:
Yes, the government knows best! It must choose the winners and losers in the market place. This bill should mandate the government take money from productive businesses and spend it in areas where no one else is willing to invest their own money. The government should also only give this money to businesses that will support them politically.
commie
ugh

Elmhurst, IL

#18 Feb 1, 2011
c o m m i e
ugh

Elmhurst, IL

#19 Feb 1, 2011
dumb filter
Sparky

New York, NY

#20 Feb 1, 2011
James wrote:
Oh and by the way leave the darn shopping carts at the stores, where they belong, dont use them like a Cadillac.
When I lived up in Lima, a downtown grocery store had so many carts stolen they attached an eight pole to all of the shopping carts so they wouldn't fit through the door opening and couldn't be taken out of the store.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kroger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
gas pumps Jul 23 Django2 1
Krogerfeedback.com (Nov '15) Jul 21 blckwdw132 2
News Altria Group: An Attractive Investment (Apr '14) Jul 5 Mugs mahone 2
News Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Jun '16 Gold Dust 94
Wage increase, automatic? Jun '16 Mrs johnson 4
News Kroger to sink millions into Columbus area, wit... May '16 Contrarian 1
News Kroger to offer online ordering service at Sand... May '16 Apollo13 1
More from around the web