Some grocers abandon rebates for reus...

Some grocers abandon rebates for reusable bags | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 18 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Mar 16, 2011, titled Some grocers abandon rebates for reusable bags | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Supermarkets are finding a little bit of green doesn't make a big difference in breaking shoppers of the "paper or plastic?" habit.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Mike Goffee

United States

#1 Mar 16, 2011
Was not aware of Kroger's rebate policy. Whole Foods has one, and you can donate the rebate to charity
Forgetful recycler

Walbridge, OH

#2 Mar 16, 2011
I sometimes have a reusable bag in the car but forget to bring it in. How about if they attached reminder signs to the cart corrals, in the parking lot?
jerry

Dublin, OH

#3 Mar 16, 2011
Was not aware of Kroger's rebate policy but it would only p1$$ me off had I known. Like I am p1$$ed off by all that politically correct stuff at Whole Foods. They've sure got a lot of nerve. I'm in their store, spending my money, and they're shoving their politics down my throat. Especially Whole Foods, with all their Pagan, New age Religion that is part of the Whole Foods shopping experience.
jerry

Dublin, OH

#4 Mar 16, 2011
Forgetful recycler wrote:
I sometimes have a reusable bag in the car but forget to bring it in. How about if they attached reminder signs to the cart corrals, in the parking lot?
Why don't you ask them to tattoo a reminder to your hand so you'll never, ever forget. Keep saving that planet, you tool.
bluuper

Columbus, OH

#5 Mar 16, 2011
@ Jerry...you aren't very intelligent.
Bag It

Columbus, OH

#6 Mar 16, 2011
jerry wrote:
Was not aware of Kroger's rebate policy but it would only p1$$ me off had I known. Like I am p1$$ed off by all that politically correct stuff at Whole Foods. They've sure got a lot of nerve. I'm in their store, spending my money, and they're shoving their politics down my throat. Especially Whole Foods, with all their Pagan, New age Religion that is part of the Whole Foods shopping experience.
Sorry but your education of religion has shortcomings. The pagan religions (which only is a worship or reverance to mother nature) is the basis of most modern religions. In order to get the public to the churches, the holidays had to sycronize with the pagan traditions. Such as Christmas (Dec 25th)and the Winter Solstice (Dec 21st).I was never told about a rebate when I used my bags at Kroger. They didn't market it well. Also jerry, I don't know what is politically correct about the fact we earthlings have three areas in the oceans the size of Texas of floating plastic. I say "Band the Bag" and plastic bottles also.
Bag It

Columbus, OH

#7 Mar 16, 2011
"Ban the Bag" that is.
Hilliard resident

Columbus, OH

#8 Mar 16, 2011
jerry wrote:
My advice to you jerry is don't shop at Whole Paycheck!
from Delaware

Delaware, OH

#9 Mar 16, 2011
Yeah, Jerry. Jeez. Giving you a couple pennies back for bringing a reusable bag doesn't seem much like any kind of religion or politics to me. Just seems like giving you something for nothing, almost, which is something I'm sure you can appreciate.
It starts in the store

Blacklick, OH

#10 Mar 16, 2011
I use the self-check and don't have to deal with the people who think already bagged items need another bag. Packaged but raw meats and fresh produce are the only things I actually place in plastic bags. It all goes back in the cart, out to the car and into collapsible carriers in the trunk. To me it just makes sense to do it that way.
Dude

Columbus, OH

#11 Mar 16, 2011
If you really want to save money like I do, start wearing Jnco pants and pack all of your groceries in your pockets.
Jerry sucks!
People of Walmart

Dublin, OH

#13 Mar 16, 2011
jerry wrote:
Sounds like Walmart probably would be the best option for your 'kind' Jerry!
realist

Columbus, OH

#14 Mar 16, 2011
Not all "green" practices work for everybody. I don't drive, so getting a gas reward doesn't do me any good. The article said that Kroger was doing this in certain regions; it didn't specify central Ohio. I think it's fine to recycle and reuse plastic store bags. We reuse ours a lot, and I donate extras to a tiny thrift store near me. As much as I'd like to save the earth, I don't want everything to come in glass containers or need to be returned for deposit. Green options should be optional plus much more accessible and free for folks... older folks, those with disabilities, and so on.
SuLee

Grove City, OH

#15 Mar 16, 2011
I take my own reuseable bags into Kroger - and I NEVER got a discount. It must never have applied to Columbus, OH stores?
SuLee

Grove City, OH

#16 Mar 16, 2011
jerry wrote:
SUGGESTION: Stop going to Whole Foods.(Duh)
SAL

United States

#18 Mar 17, 2011
Kroger, wake up! Obviously, you are PO'ing people in Central Ohio by not having given bag discounts. I'm yet another one who would have appreciated that token of customer respect. Remembering to bring your own bags is a matter of training & consistency. Leave them in a place in your car where you'll see them.

For those grouches who still don't "get it," imagine a windy day in March when your back yard is littered with plastic bags, and some are perched in trees too high to reach ... there to remain for years before deteriorating. Imagine animals getting caught in those things ... Imagine the factory workers who must breathe those plastic fumes to earn a living. Imagine the energy needed to recycle them.

Only a fool would think that plastic bag wastage is OK. Kroger et al have not persisted long enough to see this through. After all, it's not like they're forcing it on anyone. My conclusion is that stopping those discounts is another way for them to save money.
Sickening

Dublin, OH

#19 Mar 17, 2011
SAL wrote:
Kroger, wake up! Obviously, you are PO'ing people in Central Ohio by not having given bag discounts. I'm yet another one who would have appreciated that token of customer respect. Remembering to bring your own bags is a matter of training & consistency. Leave them in a place in your car where you'll see them.
For those grouches who still don't "get it," imagine a windy day in March when your back yard is littered with plastic bags, and some are perched in trees too high to reach ... there to remain for years before deteriorating. Imagine animals getting caught in those things ... Imagine the factory workers who must breathe those plastic fumes to earn a living. Imagine the energy needed to recycle them.
Only a fool would think that plastic bag wastage is OK. Kroger et al have not persisted long enough to see this through. After all, it's not like they're forcing it on anyone. My conclusion is that stopping those discounts is another way for them to save money.
What the heck neighborhood do you live in to have plastic bags strewn everywhere like that?? I have never seen one in a tree like you have described.
It starts in the store

Blacklick, OH

#20 Mar 17, 2011
Sickening wrote:
<quoted text>
What the heck neighborhood do you live in to have plastic bags strewn everywhere like that?? I have never seen one in a tree like you have described.
I find them stuck in my fence all the time. They weigh nothing and a light breeze will move them long distances before they tangle in something.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kroger Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
pay raise equals less hours!! Aug '17 TonyaG 1
News Kroger Facing Discrimination Lawsuit (Nov '08) Aug '17 sarahleespring 99
How to do a Wic transaction Jul '17 Renovator K 2
Hour Trouble (Apr '14) Jul '17 Renovator K 2
East side Kroger May '17 Lalalala 1
Hurtd Apr '17 Dee 1
Kroger Gift Card at the gasoline pump (Nov '11) Jan '17 Rainy 4
More from around the web