Electric car for the masses

Electric car for the masses

There are 523 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 22, 2008, titled Electric car for the masses. In it, Newsday reports that:

Norwegian automaker Think Global said Monday it planned to sell low-priced electric cars to the masses and will introduce its first models in the U.S. by the end of next year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 27
Next Last
Belinda S

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Apr 24, 2008
Natural Gas powered vehicles are a far better choice.
make waves

Brestovany, Slovakia

#2 Apr 24, 2008
if you visit albania they´ve got horse carts and that´s the best of all !
no smoke, co2.. just a little smell once awhile.
John D

Warren, NJ

#3 Apr 24, 2008
The Volt by Chevy comes out in 2010... just plug in your garage and you go.
Opinionsarelikea -holz

Hartford, CT

#4 Apr 24, 2008
The idea of plugging in my car makes me awfully nervous. Would it be anything like my cellphone. You know- the battery is hell coming out of the gate but not much for stamina? I have to charge my phone twice a day now. I can't have my car "dying" on me!
bmartin

AOL

#5 Apr 24, 2008
If you really want to fix the gas problem...do a sweep of all the illegal cars on the road....no insurance, no registration, no drivers license......tow the car...give the culprit 60 days to get things in order or lose the car.....this will take at least 25% of the cars in Dade and Broward off the road........
Newman

Bronx, NY

#6 Apr 24, 2008
...what leaks out when one gets squished on the LIE and the batteries rupture?
Say the Truth

Wallingford, PA

#7 Apr 24, 2008
Belinda S wrote:
Natural Gas powered vehicles are a far better choice.
Like golf carts? BTW, natural gas is also going up. We're shipping lots of it to Asia.
Opinionsarelikea -holz

Hartford, CT

#8 Apr 24, 2008
bmartin wrote:
If you really want to fix the gas problem...do a sweep of all the illegal cars on the road....no insurance, no registration, no drivers license......tow the car...give the culprit 60 days to get things in order or lose the car.....this will take at least 25% of the cars in Dade and Broward off the road........
Thats actually a pretty good idea.
Thats a lot of scrap metal for recycling too! Hey! It's green!

“Vicar of Common Sense”

Since: Jan 08

Bangor, PA

#9 Apr 24, 2008
I thought electricity was bad, uses coal, major smog...batteries use more resources and put more toxins back...

Oh, if only algore would make up his mind. Maybe he could jetset on over here to tell us what to do. I am sure that we could stop clinging to our guns and religion long enough to cling to his religion.

Bah.

“Yes, it's Steve”

Since: Jun 07

Wellington

#10 Apr 24, 2008
battery operated that needs a charge? don't most power plants use oil to produce electricity? how does this solve anything except make us use more electricity that overtaxed power plants can't provide?

can you imagine the great handling this piece of cra-p "car" would have?

about as logical as the farce of bio-fuels and low flow flush toilets
Say the Truth

Wallingford, PA

#12 Apr 24, 2008
Newman wrote:
...what leaks out when one gets squished on the LIE and the batteries rupture?
Blood and guts.

Since: Mar 08

Lake Mary, FL

#13 Apr 24, 2008
mythbuster

Miami, FL

#14 Apr 24, 2008
Wavy Gravy wrote:
Harley Davidson.
50 mpg.
Ride a Hog, save the Planet.
And get rid of the illegals also.
and get either crippled for life or killed.
Mephamrog

San Antonio, TX

#15 Apr 24, 2008
Good idea, but not practical. You get in an accident and you and your car are history.
Mephamrog

San Antonio, TX

#16 Apr 24, 2008
Good idea but not practical. If you get in an accident you and your car are history.
Neo

North Chicago, IL

#17 Apr 24, 2008
It's made largely of PLASTIC. Would you want to inside that thing when 3000lbs of steel hit it at 30 mph??
Jeff H

New Britain, CT

#18 Apr 24, 2008
Steve in Wellington wrote:
battery operated that needs a charge? don't most power plants use oil to produce electricity? how does this solve anything except make us use more electricity that overtaxed power plants can't provide?
can you imagine the great handling this piece of cra-p "car" would have?
about as logical as the farce of bio-fuels and low flow flush toilets
Nope, most plants use coal, and since Clinton locked up the clean coal in the USA, we have to get it from his buddy Rhiadi (or something like that) in indonesia or somewhere.

So much for liberals being true stewards of the earth!
Jeff H

New Britain, CT

#19 Apr 24, 2008
Wavy Gravy wrote:
Harley Davidson.
50 mpg.
Ride a Hog, save the Planet.
And get rid of the illegals also.
No thanks, I am not a heroin addict.
Semper Fi

AOL

#25 Apr 24, 2008
I'd love an electic car, but if Think Global's offering doesn't meet the regular crash-test standards then it will only be allowed to be sold here as a LSV (i.e., a Low Speed Vehicle).

And that would mean that it's maximum speed would have to be regulated at 25 MPH, instead of the 65 MPH it's actually capable of. And I'm afraid that would mean that it wouldn't be practical for most people.
george bush is a monkey

Tucson, AZ

#29 Apr 24, 2008
Melissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said. Can I get my Nerf car in Nerf-football orange, that way the lady putting on make up in her mirror while driving might actually see me before she rear ends me?
I'll bring it up in our next board meeting. I'm CEO of nerf, and I make such dreams come true.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 27
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Experts: Sex bias case will embolden women desp... Mar '15 radiofreeamerica 7
News Silicon Valley gender bias suit puts spotlight ... Mar '15 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
News Former J.C. Penney CEO Ron Johnson launching a ... (Oct '14) Jan '15 Petunia54 6
News Venture capital deals (Jun '13) Jun '13 Will Gettling 1
News Mercury News interview: Greg Woock, co-founder/... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Tony 1
News Electric buses in Detroit? Not yet, but General... (Jun '11) Jun '11 Gm man 1
News Groupon may be about to go public | The Columbu... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Whatever 2
More from around the web