Judge denies doctor's custody attempt...

Judge denies doctor's custody attempt in abuse case

There are 9 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Nov 26, 2009, titled Judge denies doctor's custody attempt in abuse case. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

A U.S. District Court judge in Buffalo, N.Y., last week denied an attempt by Kenneth Yaw and Rita Starceski to regain custody of the four girls they are alleged to have abused for months in Las Cruces, according to federal court documents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

EL POLITICO - ALBQ

United States

#2 Nov 27, 2009
My question is this "quack" still practicing in Las Cruces?

I would hope that the State Board of Medical licensing will "pull his leash" and yank his medical license.

No one with any love or compassion would treat anyone, not even their pet with this type of abuse.

I think that part of the parents punishment should be to be locked up in a cage with just bread and water for a couple of months.

Dona Ana County seems to attract unsavoring individuals who are mentally unstable. I guess that this shouldn't surprise us since they are famous for attracting "drunks" too.
Dona Ana resident

United States

#3 Nov 27, 2009
EL POLITICO - ALBQ wrote:
My question is this "quack" still practicing in Las Cruces?
I would hope that the State Board of Medical licensing will "pull his leash" and yank his medical license.
No one with any love or compassion would treat anyone, not even their pet with this type of abuse.
I think that part of the parents punishment should be to be locked up in a cage with just bread and water for a couple of months.
Dona Ana County seems to attract unsavoring individuals who are mentally unstable. I guess that this shouldn't surprise us since they are famous for attracting "drunks" too.
I am amazed that a seemingly intelligent individual would make the comment that the county attracts unsavory individuals. The county has nothing to do with individual's behavior nor is it any more famous for "drunks". If you are not happy here, please return to where you came from. I do, however, agree with your comment that the doctor's license to practice should be suspended and that all children in their custody be examined and interviewed. Child abuse is a national problem that is not reported on enough by the media. These children are adopted. I trust our local judge,(should the case come to trial here) will had out the maximum sentence allowed by law.
Garganchuan

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Nov 27, 2009
It was probably the peanut butter, trailer lock-up and latch-key style of baby-sitting that made up the judges mind.
EL POLITICO - ALBQ

United States

#5 Nov 27, 2009
Dear "Dona Ana Resident,"

I do not reside in Dona Ana County.

Know you know why.

I am well aware that its not the county that is at fault with the type of residents that inhabit it, however, the county elected officials, judges and other powers that be, do contribute to the failure in society when laws are not equally applied and enforced.

Wouldn't you agree that criminals are more attracted to "easy" targets whatever that may be?

If you can get away with drunk driving in one community compared to another, where would you go if you have this problem?
lcnative

United States

#6 Nov 27, 2009
Why is it that folks that appear to be psychotic in nature are the ones that pop out kids like a pez dispenser?
Connect4Kids

Las Cruces, NM

#7 Nov 27, 2009
Judas wrote:
Good. Yaw has a total of 12 children. Not only did he abuse these four; he abused all of the older ones as well, kicking them out of the house before the age of 18 so that he could shack up with his Pittsburgh prostitute. I'm glad that the judge saw the right thing to do in this situation, but am concerned about the kids whom Ken and Rita still do have in their custody. The authorities ought to take them away and check them for marks, scars, and other signs of abuse.
Sadly, some of the most damaging and heinous abuse does not leave marks, scars or visible evidence. These and others like them will think the emotional abuse and verbal attacks are acceptable and will end up in situation after situation that will result in more of the same from those in authority, teachers, classmates, employers, coworkers. Being bullied by those that are supposed to protect you leaves you trusting no one and feeling like the other shoe is about to drop when everything is going well. It is a vicious cycle. May they meet understanding and caring people on their path in life.
Notsofast

United States

#8 Nov 27, 2009
Connect4Kids wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadly, some of the most damaging and heinous abuse does not leave marks, scars or visible evidence. These and others like them will think the emotional abuse and verbal attacks are acceptable and will end up in situation after situation that will result in more of the same from those in authority, teachers, classmates, employers, coworkers. Being bullied by those that are supposed to protect you leaves you trusting no one and feeling like the other shoe is about to drop when everything is going well. It is a vicious cycle. May they meet understanding and caring people on their path in life.
Thank you. You could not know this unless you've experienced it first hand. Indeed, it leaves invisible scars that never heal.
You've answered a question I've had for over five decades.
anon

Beaver, PA

#9 Nov 28, 2009
So.... having money doesn't effect the out come of a court ruling.

These people should NEVER see those children again. They are happy now, and should be protected from any further abuse at the hand of their Father.

Lets hope the criminal trial has similar results. LOCK THEM UP!
Let Justice Prevail

United States

#10 Nov 28, 2009
I met Dr. Yaw years ago.

He struck me as a pretty serious control freak who demands perfection from everyone. While it is up to the system to determine innocence, guilt and penalties, I suspect his wife was probably under his control as well, even though she may or may not have condoned the alleged abuse.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kenneth Cole Productions Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doctor, wife pay $1.7M to settle cancer drug bi... Feb '17 PortnoyR 1
News Dow XLA Takes a Shot at Spandex (Sep '08) Mar '16 XLA 2
News Prison Guards Accused Of Beating Lebanon Inmate (Apr '09) Feb '16 Thelaywer 38
News Torrington Man's 'Bag Of Bones' Revives Cold Case (Sep '08) Feb '16 livelove 10
News NY Prison Guard Admits Providing Tools To Escap... (Jun '15) Jun '15 John 2
News New York high school drops 'Redskins' mascot (Mar '15) Mar '15 USSR 1
News Ex-Councilman Dan Halloran gets 10 years for br... (Mar '15) Mar '15 the city I hate 2
More from around the web