After fatal Lowell crash, police call...

After fatal Lowell crash, police call for ban on texting behind...

There are 30 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Dec 18, 2009, titled After fatal Lowell crash, police call for ban on texting behind.... In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

Police say it's a deadly problem that legislators need to stop now: serious crashes caused by people texting while driving.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
BackBone

Boston, MA

#1 Dec 18, 2009
Another key of money making, because you idiot texting. Thanks
say what

Windsor, CT

#2 Dec 18, 2009
Try again. You typing while driving?
Bill

East Hartford, CT

#3 Dec 18, 2009
So Sen. Steve Baddour Dem. Methuen, chair of the Senate Transportation Commitee thinks that one handed driving while talking on a phone is as safe as having two hands on the steering wheel and attention on the road. He is a good example of the elected leadership that we have in this State.
Veal Cutlet

Lowell, MA

#4 Dec 18, 2009
A day late and dollar short. Never happen in the liberalist of liberal states. This is what happens when you continue to elect defense attorneys as politicians. It pays to drink and drive in this state. Do you really think banning texting is going to change anything. Wake up moonbats.
MOM

Dracut, MA

#5 Dec 18, 2009
Is this how we want to see our young men & women die, It's not like they are in some senseless war, they are in there own car, usually in there own neighboorhood, I know it's cool or the thing to do, but where is the common sense, I'm not trying to preach here, this story hits to close to home as I have children this age, To all the young ones out there, Don't put your parents in there grave early. This is exactly why we nag like we do.
NewsJunkie

Windham, NH

#7 Dec 18, 2009
If they r not going to wear a seatbelt accordin 2 law What makes u think a law will stop them from drivin & textin ?

Since: Aug 08

Lowell

#8 Dec 18, 2009
I dont think a law will stop people from texting and driving. Drinking is against the law and people still do it. Supposed to wear seatbelts and some dont...what makes you think that just because a law is passed banning it that people wont continue doing it. We need to educate people on the dangers, show the pictures of the crashes. High schools always have cars on the front lawns that were involved in drunk driving accidents. Why dont they do the same with cars involved in texting accidents? If it could save some lives then whats the harm. It may be disturbing to look at but isnt that what we want? Make people understand and see what could happen if they continue texting and driving.
Stop it

Wallingford, CT

#9 Dec 18, 2009
NewsJunkie wrote:
If they r not going to wear a seatbelt accordin 2 law What makes u think a law will stop them from drivin & textin ?
When they wrap their car around a poll they'll stop texting now won't they?
Guess that's the price they'll have to pay..........just sucks when they kill others from their stupidity.
Mario Andretti

Wakefield, MA

#10 Dec 18, 2009
Bill wrote:
So Sen. Steve Baddour Dem. Methuen, chair of the Senate Transportation Commitee thinks that one handed driving while talking on a phone is as safe as having two hands on the steering wheel and attention on the road. He is a good example of the elected leadership that we have in this State.
I thought the same thing. This guy is chair of the Senate Transportation Committee? Hopefully somebody drives him to work. Any distraction while driving is unsafe.
john

Lowell, MA

#11 Dec 18, 2009
British Anti texting-while-driving PSA:
http://jalopnik.com/5342582/british-police-cr...
Concerned

Hudson, MA

#12 Dec 19, 2009
My daughter was a pedestrian who was hit by a car and almost killed. The driver was 'distracted' and actually swerved past the fog line to hit her. He didn't admit to using his cell phone but I am SURE he was texting. How many of these type of cases go unnoticed because drivers do NOT fess up! There needs to be a law against texting while driving!
Comm Lawyer

Cambridge, MA

#13 Dec 19, 2009
While I totally agree that something should be done about people texting while driving - I don't think that the cities/towns or state can pass laws regarding it that will stand up to a court challenge. Texting and cell phone use is federally regulated by the FCC - I think if someone like the ACLU took it to court any local rule would be thrown out - so we should get after our Congressional reps and Senators to have the FCC pass a law banning texting while driving (and also banning cell phone use unless hands free). Local governments stepping in where federal laws supersedes could make the matter worse when the courts strike it down.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#14 Dec 19, 2009
What I'd like to see.
Cell phone use while operating a motor vehicle.
First offense,$500 fine
Second offense,$1,000 fine
Third offense,$2,000 fine and one year loss of license
Fourth offense,$5,000 fine and permanent loss of license.

I have been run off the road twice and sat through a hundred green lights because of cell phone use while operating a motor vehicle.
Smokestack Lightning

Chelmsford, MA

#15 Dec 19, 2009
Comm Lawyer wrote:
While I totally agree that something should be done about people texting while driving - I don't think that the cities/towns or state can pass laws regarding it that will stand up to a court challenge. Texting and cell phone use is federally regulated by the FCC - I think if someone like the ACLU took it to court any local rule would be thrown out - so we should get after our Congressional reps and Senators to have the FCC pass a law banning texting while driving (and also banning cell phone use unless hands free). Local governments stepping in where federal laws supersedes could make the matter worse when the courts strike it down.
Using cell phones while driving is illegal in NY and some other states. Has the ACLU challenged any of those laws? FCC regulations do not say that use of cell phones or any other radio device cannot be limited.

What kind of law do you practice?
Speeders are Murderers

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#16 Dec 19, 2009
The auto industry will fight this tooth and nail. Every totaled car means another car sale. If they had their way drunk driving would be legal.
Speeders are Murderers

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#17 Dec 19, 2009
Concerned wrote:
There needs to be a law against texting while driving!
Many areas have such laws, but the "penalty" is like $25. It should be treated like DUI.

All electronic toys should be banned from cars and that includes radios. This auto industry propaganda that driving should be "fun" causes thousands of highway murders each year.
Wacky

Detroit, MI

#18 Dec 19, 2009
"Police say it's a deadly problem that legislators need to stop now: serious crashes caused by people texting while driving."
Oh yeah, pass a law against it. That'll stop them.
*idiots...*
Rich

Billerica, MA

#19 Dec 19, 2009
Laws cant replace common sense... texting while driving is unsafe but do we really want to make it illegal? making something illegal wont do anythin except be a source of money for the local PD's and the cities it wont stop people from doing it. All that people will do now is hide their texting while driving.
you dont get it

Lowell, MA

#21 Dec 19, 2009
Wacky wrote:
"Police say it's a deadly problem that legislators need to stop now: serious crashes caused by people texting while driving."
Oh yeah, pass a law against it. That'll stop them.
*idiots...*
laws don't stop people from doing anything. If they did we wouldn't have so many murders, rapes and drunk drivers. Those are against the law but people still do them. Laws do not exist to stop people from committing criminal acts. They exist to punish people for committing those acts. So I guess if y'all feel it's fine for people to text and kill people without any further consequence then hey, no need for a law. They'll get probation or 3-6 months for involuntary manslaughter.
you dont get it

Lowell, MA

#22 Dec 19, 2009
Rich wrote:
Laws cant replace common sense... texting while driving is unsafe but do we really want to make it illegal? making something illegal wont do anythin except be a source of money for the local PD's and the cities it wont stop people from doing it. All that people will do now is hide their texting while driving.
If an accident occurred and it was suspected texting were involved, it is easy to prove. The police pull the phone records and they can see each text and what time it was.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kenneth Cole Productions Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Delta Dam, Rivers, Roads Flooding in Central Ne... Apr '17 hesmadatthem 2
News Doctor, wife pay $1.7M to settle cancer drug bi... (Feb '17) Feb '17 PortnoyR 1
News Dow XLA Takes a Shot at Spandex (Sep '08) Mar '16 XLA 2
News Prison Guards Accused Of Beating Lebanon Inmate (Apr '09) Feb '16 Thelaywer 38
News Torrington Man's 'Bag Of Bones' Revives Cold Case (Sep '08) Feb '16 livelove 10
News NY Prison Guard Admits Providing Tools To Escap... (Jun '15) Jun '15 John 2
News New York high school drops 'Redskins' mascot (Mar '15) Mar '15 USSR 1
More from around the web