H&M's destruction of unsold clothes a...

H&M's destruction of unsold clothes a rarity among stores

There are 18 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 18, 2010, titled H&M's destruction of unsold clothes a rarity among stores. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

January tends to be bleak for retailers. Shoppers are weary. The hope of the holidays gives way to disappointing returns.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Since: Feb 08

Sandstone MN

#3 Jan 19, 2010
So if my bank can't sell all the foreclosed houses, they are morally obligated to give them to the needy?

Not in MY America.
Farm Hand

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Jan 19, 2010
Fleet Farm in Oakdale are you paying attention. Get rid of the clearance crap that you've been hoarding for years. The time is now.
Zoey

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Jan 19, 2010
The problem for some stores is that you have some fine upstanding members of the public that find these clothes and try and return them to stores for money.
impeachobamanow

Falcon, NC

#6 Jan 19, 2010
Disgruntled Outstater wrote:
So if my bank can't sell all the foreclosed houses, they are morally obligated to give them to the needy?
Not in MY America.
Good response!
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Jan 19, 2010
Disgruntled Outstater wrote:
So if my bank can't sell all the foreclosed houses, they are morally obligated to give them to the needy?
Not in MY America.
We're talking about clothes here, not houses. What good does it do to clutter up landfills with perfectly good clothes when they can be sent to charities?

Why are you against the thrifty disposing of unsold clothing rather than just tossing it into the garbage?
Climate Appropriate

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Jan 19, 2010
The donated attire should be suitable for the destination climate and have some utility.
I remember that tropical typhoon relief a few years ago included shipments of winter clothing and household furnishings, like curtains.
Another Observer

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Jan 19, 2010
Zoey wrote:
The problem for some stores is that you have some fine upstanding members of the public that find these clothes and try and return them to stores for money.
That's one reason the labels are usually cut off before the surplus is given away.

“REALLY? Are you serious?”

Since: Feb 09

Up north MN WI

#10 Jan 19, 2010
impeachobamanow wrote:
America...The greatest country on earth! The country obama travels the world badmouthing. Americans always step up to the plate to help. But here is the deal, We owe Haiti NOTHING! Americans give because they care and they can, and they want to! Haitis corrupt and evil government have kept the people surpressed for years. What we should do is overthrow the government and let the people be free!
Yes, those poor, surpressed people. How about, we impeach anyone that 1. doesn't use the right word 2. spells that word wrong and 3. doesn't use even basic grammar skills.

Since: Feb 08

Sandstone MN

#11 Jan 19, 2010
Sarah D wrote:
<quoted text>
We're talking about clothes here, not houses. What good does it do to clutter up landfills with perfectly good clothes when they can be sent to charities?
Why are you against the thrifty disposing of unsold clothing rather than just tossing it into the garbage?
Giving them away in a good thing. Vilification of those who do not (perhaps to keep prices high) is a bad thing.
Tony

Minnetonka, MN

#13 Jan 19, 2010
Although the New York Times mentioned in their article that Walmart did the same thing, it is not mentioned here. I guess Walmart is a sponsor.
Another Observer

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Jan 19, 2010
impeachobamanow wrote:
America...The greatest country on earth! The country obama travels the world badmouthing. Americans always step up to the plate to help. But here is the deal, We owe Haiti NOTHING! Americans give because they care and they can, and they want to! Haitis corrupt and evil government have kept the people surpressed for years. What we should do is overthrow the government and let the people be free!
Nice try, sport.

The last time Haiti had a freely elected President, he was overthrown by a military coup in 2004. The US did nothing to protect a legitimate, democratically elected government then; in fact, it seems likely that the Bush administration backed the coup.
ah ha ha

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Jan 19, 2010
Another Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
That's one reason the labels are usually cut off before the surplus is given away.
And another reason why more and more retailers are getting stricter with return policies. Hey monkey, guess what? No receipt, no return. Thanks for playing :)
ah ha ha

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Jan 19, 2010
Farm Hand wrote:
Fleet Farm in Oakdale are you paying attention. Get rid of the clearance crap that you've been hoarding for years. The time is now.
AH HA HA HA HA HA HA, did you ever nail the hammer on the head there. That whole company hoardes merchandise. And they don't give employees any discounts on merchandise, and they don't let employees leave the property on unpaid lunch breaks. And Menards isn't much better, either! But at least they clearance their crap out...

That's it, I'm stick with Lowe's and Home Depot.

JTY

Since: Sep 08

Lincoln, NE

#17 Jan 19, 2010
Why didn't all these bleeding hearts buy the clothing themselves at 90% off and give it to goodwill?
MN Observer

Phoenix, AZ

#18 Jan 19, 2010
Used to be Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, those poor, surpressed people. How about, we impeach anyone that 1. doesn't use the right word 2. spells that word wrong and 3. doesn't use even basic grammar skills.
surpressed? There is a danger when correcting other peoples' grammar and spellilng. You must yourself be mistkae free.
cityofstpaulrez

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Jan 19, 2010
I don't think it's rare. The military stores, The Exchange or commisary does them too. I heard they tear, cut clothes, furniture and smash computers that are not sold. They do for sure in Hawaii not sure about the other bases.
Ryan in Saint Paul

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Jan 19, 2010
Haven't these people heard of ebay? How about going even lower in price instead of throwing away? You take dollars to the bank, not percentages.
Jim

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Jan 19, 2010
MN Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
surpressed? There is a danger when correcting other peoples' grammar and spellilng. You must yourself be mistkae free.
I'm assuming you noticed that "surpressed" was a direct quote... and by the way, what is a "mistkae"

Do you know what they say about glass houses and stones?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kenneth Cole Productions Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dow XLA Takes a Shot at Spandex (Sep '08) Mar 31 XLA 2
News Prison Guards Accused Of Beating Lebanon Inmate (Apr '09) Feb '16 Thelaywer 38
News Torrington Man's 'Bag Of Bones' Revives Cold Case (Sep '08) Feb '16 livelove 10
News A look at gay marriage reaction from across US (Jun '15) Jun '15 Ringbearer 1
News NY Prison Guard Admits Providing Tools To Escap... (Jun '15) Jun '15 John 2
News New York high school drops 'Redskins' mascot (Mar '15) Mar '15 USSR 1
News Ex-Councilman Dan Halloran gets 10 years for br... (Mar '15) Mar '15 the city I hate 2
More from around the web