Report: AIG asks govA't to approve bonus payments

There are 24 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 10, 2009, titled Report: AIG asks govA't to approve bonus payments. In it, Newsday reports that:

After its bonus payments ignited a firestorm of criticism earlier this year, American International Group Inc.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jonny john

Woodhaven, NY

#1 Jul 10, 2009
great! yea, sure have some more money!

raise the money you need by charging the customer more in fees!
Tired Old Man

AOL

#2 Jul 10, 2009
AIG Arrogant, Incompodant, Greed. They still don't get it they are a big part of the reason for the economy failure. Top executives making millions and getting millions in bonuses for failure. In what other industry (stock brokers) the more responsibilty you have for the failure the more you are rewarded. This is the equvilant of a commanding officer getting a promotion for getting all his men killed.
THE FRITO BANDITO

Patchogue, NY

#3 Jul 10, 2009
No dobt in my mind they will get the bonuses because there appears to be a huge kickback going to Osama and his merry felons. This administration is as crooked as tehy come. watched a congressional inquirry and when they asked the woman inspector where or if there was an investigation to where the trillions dollars went she couldn't answer the question. She did admit that there was no inquiry as to where the $$ wen and no investigation is on the horizon. Just like a las vegas skimming operation. A lot of people are getting rich on our dime. Vote ALL these incumbent bums out.
candy rodriguez

United States

#4 Jul 10, 2009
NO more bonuses. Make due with what you have already. Too many people are losing their jobs, credit and homes. What purpose does the bonuses do for the economy when the taxpayers have bailed them out already. AIG is not a federal company and taxpayers should not bear the burden of these overpaid do nothings.
They got the last bonuses

Watertown, CT

#5 Jul 10, 2009
It appears to me that the last set of bonuses that prompted the congressional hearings and tax thing which the senate apparently did not act on seems to have been just showmanship. I feel sorry for the few poor souls who actually did return their bonuses (if in fact anyone actually did). The lesson again is that if you become the object of public scrutiny, you just need to ride it out for a couple of weeks until the media gets bored, and then you are back on track. Or am I wrong? So what actually was the result of all that handwaving a few months ago by congress in terms of actual bonus money that was or was not recouped?
Judy

Carle Place, NY

#6 Jul 10, 2009
Are they crazy. Or is is back to business as usual and lets give bonuses to people who are overpaid for doing a lousy job. Forget that less then a year ago they almost took down a major insurance company.
liner

Hicksville, NY

#7 Jul 10, 2009
THE FRITO BANDITO wrote:
No dobt in my mind they will get the bonuses because there appears to be a huge kickback going to Osama and his merry felons. This administration is as crooked as tehy come. watched a congressional inquirry and when they asked the woman inspector where or if there was an investigation to where the trillions dollars went she couldn't answer the question. She did admit that there was no inquiry as to where the $$ wen and no investigation is on the horizon. Just like a las vegas skimming operation. A lot of people are getting rich on our dime. Vote ALL these incumbent bums out.
Any proof? Or do you just have a "sort of a feeling about these things"?
Captain Jack

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Jul 10, 2009
give'em everything they want, they are government employees now. Throw in some more bailout money and raise the taxes, it's the american way.
Diogenes

Patchogue, NY

#9 Jul 10, 2009
I want to go to one of the gambling centers will A. I. G. insure me I will not lose any money. The same underwriters who guaranteed these derivatives that aren't worth the paper they were wrote up on. The people who they want to retain probably should get bonuses. The people who got them involved in the smoke and mirror investments should be prosecuted.
randi

New Delhi, India

#10 Jul 10, 2009
[IMG]http://www.ipodz.co.cc/im gs/signature_damo_foot.jpg[/IM G]
Greetings From Texas

Birmingham, AL

#11 Jul 10, 2009
These people should not get these bonuses if they have millions of dollars to give away to a bunch of incopetant people then they should give those millions back to the government and payback the taxpayers. There are millions of people out here with no jobs or just living paycheck to paycheck and they want to give people that are already making a fortune more money. This company should be ashamed of itself and be given a stern warning that if they give those bonuses the government will shut them down.
billp

Vancouver, WA

#12 Jul 10, 2009
Once again the same old threats about retainning employees for their(GOOD JOB). What a joke, where are they going?
b894j8n4ny

Montague, NJ

#13 Jul 10, 2009
Hahaha!!! Laughing out loud. Once again AIG is taking the lead to make America great!

I'm and anybody who are reading this should also ask gov't to approve your $400,000 bonus payments NOW!!!!
DJ A

Jefferson City, MO

#14 Jul 10, 2009
It's evident that the media can fool lots of people a lot of the time.

My mortgage banker doesn't tell me how to spend my wages, as long as I make the payments. Since when does the federal govt (or taxpayers) get to tell private corporations how to pay their employees? Bailout borrowing isn't being used for bonuses, it was used to pay off creditors that our government decided shouldn't go broke.

High-paid execs (which I'm not) are an easy target. The media are getting a lot of people to buy papers. Politicians are getting people to vote for them by stirring up the pot.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#15 Jul 10, 2009
What exactly is it these execs do to earn millions of dollars a year? Why not negotiate salary up front like everyone else and learn to live on the amount of your salary? The rank and file workers (the ones who actually produce revenue) aren't even getting costs of living raises and told they are lucky to have a job because the company is in dire straights while the CEO makes bank.
Is there some sort of tax break on a bonus or what/ I don't understand why the execs want this so bad. Obviously, I'm just a rank and file.
apache

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Jul 11, 2009
Where can I go to sign up to work for AIG? I live on Social security and need a bonus.I do not see why monkey face (obama) just doesn't print more money,,he has done nothing so far to help the little people,,promises of jobs (never happened) getting things back on track,,only thing on track is his family flying around the world with him,,great to be the President kids,,even bush did not do this with his family,,of course his kids were older,,,just think what monkey faces kids will tell their teachers when school starts,,"We went on vacations at the taxpayers expense and had a blast.
Our daddy gave money to bail out certain companies so they could give bonuses to their employees,,is he great as a prez. And just think you little people are going to pay to pay for the bailouts,,,we love our daddy
Spirit of 1776

AOL

#17 Jul 11, 2009
apache wrote:
Where can I go to sign up to work for AIG? I live on Social security and need a bonus.I do not see why monkey face (obama) just doesn't print more money,,he has done nothing so far to help the little people,,promises of jobs (never happened) getting things back on track,,only thing on track is his family flying around the world with him,,great to be the President kids,,even bush did not do this with his family,,of course his kids were older,,,just think what monkey faces kids will tell their teachers when school starts,,"We went on vacations at the taxpayers expense and had a blast.
Our daddy gave money to bail out certain companies so they could give bonuses to their employees,,is he great as a prez. And just think you little people are going to pay to pay for the bailouts,,,we love our daddy
Unfortunately for those on Social Security their usual COLA (cost of living allocation) increase has been stopped. COLA increases in previous yers have been increased between 2%-5% each year. Amazing that the government again plays with peoples lives in many ways.

The government has gained much publicity to show and keep major corporations such as AIG groveling at their feet; while not publicizing the fact they have discontinued retirees COLA increases and keeping that news buried (only to send those on Social Security a terse letter that COLA increases have been stopped.

Once again, Government at work for you!!!
bob

Rincon, GA

#18 Jul 11, 2009
Forget it. No bonus. They would have been bankrupt and lost it anyway.
bobby

West Hempstead, NY

#19 Jul 11, 2009
these people are lucky they still have a job .there like pimp/s looking for free money that other people worked for ,thats our tax dollars. if it was up to me they would get s--t.
dough

Montague, NJ

#20 Jul 11, 2009
Do it like all private American companies are doing nowaday. Ship AIG and all its jobs including its CEOs to Mumbai & Bangalore where the avg pay is only $4000 per employee and retention bonus or whatever you called it bonus is never required.

Please do it and save a boat load of money for the American taxpayers for once.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kenneth Cole Productions Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New York high school drops 'Redskins' mascot Mar '15 USSR 1
News Ex-Councilman Dan Halloran gets 10 years for br... Mar '15 the city I hate 2
News Small sandal business attracts big attention Feb '15 Pete 1
News 'Still Alice' powerfully presents a mind fallin... Dec '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News NY troopers arrest man for trying to eat DWI test (Nov '14) Nov '14 DILF 7
News Government funds lawyers for immigrant kids (Sep '14) Oct '14 Memo From Turner 85
News Prison Guards Accused Of Beating Lebanon Inmate (Apr '09) Aug '14 Evangelina Gomez 37
More from around the web