Prosecutors resist DNA testing in old...

Prosecutors resist DNA testing in old cases

There are 9 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from May 18, 2009, titled Prosecutors resist DNA testing in old cases. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

In an age of advanced forensic science, the first step toward ending Kenneth Reed's prolonged series of legal appeals should be simple and quick: a DNA test.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Same Old School

Miami, FL

#1 May 18, 2009
I'm sure the last thing the victims of a crime and they're families would want would be to imprison an innocent man a crime he didn't commit. The state, some cops, and prosecuting lawyers would be doing that, to boost they're records, as evidenced by the prison population in this country. We incarcerate more people in this country than any other industrialized nation on the face of the earth including China with approx. 300 times our population. Police State?
the Independent

Pompano Beach, FL

#2 May 18, 2009
they can use the test to convict, but, can refuse to provide the test to prove innocence? where's OJ?
the Independent

Pompano Beach, FL

#3 May 18, 2009
Same Old School wrote:
I'm sure the last thing the victims of a crime and they're families would want would be to imprison an innocent man a crime he didn't commit. The state, some cops, and prosecuting lawyers would be doing that, to boost they're records, as evidenced by the prison population in this country. We incarcerate more people in this country than any other industrialized nation on the face of the earth including China with approx. 300 times our population. Police State?
china? they just shoot them and then make them tour around the world in that traveling spectacle "Bodies: The Exhibition"...

you keep the prison population down and make money at the same time...china's "win-win" solution...
Joe

Pompano Beach, FL

#4 May 18, 2009
Whats the harm in asking for a DNA test, its more expensive to keep an innocent person in prison! And why would you want to?

Since: Oct 08

hollywood, fl

#5 May 18, 2009
DNA testing is accurate and reliable. Eyewitness identifications are notoriously inaccurate and unreliable. Why are the prosecutors resisting? Are they afraid that their stats might be affected, or that some cases might have to be investigated further?
jessix

Fort Myers, FL

#6 May 18, 2009
Any prosecutor resisting a DNA test should be DISBARRED!
The American legal system is supposed to stand for truth and justice.
DNA provides facts; truth and justice only exist in the presence of objectivity and fact.
Has America become so corrupt that we now willingly give up all sense of fairness and justice in our legal system?
Any representative of a fair justice system must understand the concept of JUSTICE.
An officer of the court who objects to the objective determination of justice must be removed IMMEDIATELY!
Socrates

Centreville, MD

#7 May 18, 2009
Why do prosecutors resist the idea of DNA testing in old cases?

Answer 1) They want to keep their record of successful prosecutions intact, without regard to the innocent people they have persecuted - yes PERSECUTED. That way they can run for public office on a "law and order" platform while credulous fools wave flags and vote for them.

Answer 2) They and the states they represent cannot afford the lawsuits for wrongful prosecution of the innocent, and if they have to, they will go out of their way to MANUFACTURE "evidence" in support of their position.

Answer 3) They are heartless, self-convinced bastards without one ounce of human feeling or empathy, in fact, they ENJOY hurting people, due to the fact their are sociopaths, just like their thugs, the jackbooted police.

That is how our system of "justice" works; isn't freedom wonderful?

Further, I appreciate the fact that most of our esteemed legal professionals and leaders are nothing but amoral alcoholic hypocrites who love to show everyone how "good" they are by going to church in front of cameras. Just look at Bill Clinton, a crooked lawyer, and George Bush, a war criminal, both are prime examples of this phenomenon.

So, why worry about it, we all die after a time and solve our problems that way, whether in a jail cell, hospital ward or in bed with some slut, like the "honorable" Nelson Rockefeller. He croaked off on top of a prostitute, what a way to go! Disgusting, but the race of man has always been this way and will never change, so just sit back and accept it, I do.

Call me cynical.
Somebodyhelpme

Spartanburg, SC

#8 May 18, 2009
Why on earth would they resist DNA testing. Maybe it would prove that they are incompetent.
THE WATCHER

Sea Isle City, NJ

#9 May 20, 2009
The courts aren't about the truth but expediency...If a person in jail claims DNA will prove certain arguments about his innocence...then no prosecutor should try and deny that person a DNA review...as eye witness testimony is one of the worst reliable tools there are and this has been proven time and time again...so let the truth be told...DNA will either set you free or can condemn you also.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kenneth Cole Productions Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Eileen Zelek, Brian Geiger Jan 29 He Named Me Black... 2
News Delta Dam, Rivers, Roads Flooding in Central Ne... (Apr '17) Apr '17 hesmadatthem 2
News Doctor, wife pay $1.7M to settle cancer drug bi... (Feb '17) Feb '17 PortnoyR 1
News Dow XLA Takes a Shot at Spandex (Sep '08) Mar '16 XLA 2
News Prison Guards Accused Of Beating Lebanon Inmate (Apr '09) Feb '16 Thelaywer 38
News Torrington Man's 'Bag Of Bones' Revives Cold Case (Sep '08) Feb '16 livelove 10
News NY Prison Guard Admits Providing Tools To Escap... (Jun '15) Jun '15 John 2
More from around the web