Stock decline may hurt upscale retail

Aug 14, 2011 Full story: Philly.com

The stock market's 13 percent plunge since July 22 may mean lower sales for high-end retailers such as Tiffany & Co.

Full Story

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#1 Aug 20, 2011
No, the private sector I believe is still strong and I would expect retail to have a positive season considering online tax issues especially with the delivery tack on's that bump up on line prices.

Profit taking in the markets should slow down soon while the government realigns it's tactical strategies to pour the right incentives into the proper places, part of the learning curb from the depression.

As any expert will tell you the great depression suffered a secondary fall out after the initial injection of the stimulus package to finally end up in a new wave of industry. Most important is the positive out come in the long run, a better functioning economy.

World markets places have been lucrative for quite some time and profit takers will be looking for new investment trends...

Keep in mind that a majority of the wealthiest investors have passed on stocks and investments to their next generation strategically. Be careful when following old money.

Since: Sep 11

Buena Park, CA

#2 Sep 10, 2011
In general I try to keep my jewelry prices as low as I can, even for gemstone pieces. But it is an uphill climb and I can see that sales will not pick up until maybe October at the earliest. I have jewelry which has been sitting on my site for almost a year, while I am madly making pieces in trend colors on a constant basis. When the season for a color is over I sometimes find myself cannibalizing older pieces to make new ones because the prices of gold and silver have gone up so much I can no longer to afford the amount of materials I need to buy to keep everything fresh. I also can no longer afford to buy in bulk. Ever since 9/11/2001 times have been tough. When even high-end retailers are panicking about stock prices that spells a real long-term recession. I have basically written off the rest of 2011 as "the worst year ever".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nordstrom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nordstrom to debut 'smart mirrors' in eBay-desi... Nov '14 Philip Cohen 1
Nordstrom does not care about cutomers!! Oct '14 LyLy 1
Certain leopard print shoes (May '14) May '14 MGEEZY4SHO 1
Mall Owner Stocks Go From First to Last as Spen... (Sep '13) Sep '13 GTA 1
Nordstrom April revenue figure rises (May '12) Sep '13 doom24 5
J.C. Penney Brings Back Discounting; Was The Fo... (Jan '13) Jan '13 bob haller 2
Nordstrom issues email supporting gay marriage (Oct '12) Oct '12 Pumpkin Lipstick 21
More from around the web