Journal Register Closing New Britain Operations -- Courant.com

Full story: Hartford Courant

The Journal Register Co. will close its printing and mailroom operations in New Britain and consolidate them to its facility in New Haven in an effort to save $500,000 in annual costs.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
RutRow

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2007

This can't be healthy for CT jobs. Someone told me the other day everyone is leaving CT. It's true.

Although they aren't leaving CT, they are taking the jobs away... mine as well.
Friend

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2007

Journal Register ruined the New Britain Herald the day they bought them. They don't care about their employees only the bottom line. I used to work there and I have many friends who still do. I feel bad for all of them there. Most have been there for many years and now will be out of a job.
Kelly

West Haven, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2007

JRC could be the worst publishing company in the world, so don't think this is indicative of anything for Connecticut. What's amazing is that any of their newspapers stay in business.
Lucy

Newport, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2007

The news print by saying and doing
nothing about Nafta, Cafta, and all
those other fancy nick-names that
outsourced our industrial base has
destroyed the small businessmen in
this area, and they simply cannot advertise in the newspapers that look
at the retail business for income.
Like the rest of the Newspapers that
are simply Protectors of People like
the Clintons and the Bush Empire,
the chickens have come home to roost.
Go to Google and print the following
"Musharraf The Carlyle Group" and
find out what Bush is up to..
Bob Dylan

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2007

The future is already a thing of the past.

Come on no one reads papers anymore and if they do, many read them online. I know many well educated older people who never read a newspaper. What does that tell you?
inane banterer

Windsor, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2007

Unfortunately, this makes sense. CT is a very small state with far too many redundant services. In order to be competitive, we need to consolidate. Right now the newspaper industry in our state is feeling the pinch, but this is bound to happen within numerous other state and private industries as well.
dee

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2007

RutRow wrote:
This can't be healthy for CT jobs. Someone told me the other day everyone is leaving CT. It's true.
Although they aren't leaving CT, they are taking the jobs away... mine as well.
I was born and raised in CT. Lived there for 47 years. I finally had to leave because of the cost of living. I can't say that where I am is better, but I can tell you that I make more money now than I did in CT. I pay much less in taxes, except for tax on food. There are no emissions test. You can register a car that is over 10 years old without having to have it inspected. I have a 66 mustang. Also there is no yearly tax on cars. I miss the seafood and other chooses in food big time! But, jobs are going further south. Better be able to speak spanish.

Since: Feb 07

moodus, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2007

And so it goes...Today it's the journal register and next week it will be ME! Times are tough and everyone is cutting back,cutting out or just plain getting out! No matter how you slice it or dice it,IT STILL SUCKS for the poor slob who just lost his job!
dan

Novi, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2007

JRC is a rag based out of a pit
MD Meriden CT

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2007

It's a sad day for CT and The Herald of long ago. I worked there when it was a family-owned, supportive environment and also stayed through the JRC aquisition. This company knows nothing about what people want to read and only cares about the money. They turned it into an unreadable rag and that is sad. Former (and late) owner Judith Brown will be crying tears from above.
Guile from New Haven

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2007

JRC (Journal Register Co.) is probably the worst investment in the world. With a stock price currently trading around $2.60, a market cap of just $100 million and debt of $650 million plus, this is a real dog. The newspaper industry in general is dying and this is one company that no one can help. It doesn't help matters that their management is totally incompetent in online publication and content. Who wants to make a bet this one goes up for liquidation really soon?
EMPLOYEE OF JRC

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2008

JOURNAL REGISTER IS OWNED BY A BUNCH OF KNOW NOTHING, LETS BUY EVERYTHING WE CAN GET OUR HANDS ON VULTURES! AND SOON THE BANKS WILL TAKE OVER AND JELNICK AND HIS CRONIES WILL HAVE DESTOYED EVERYTHING THAT IT TOOK, IN SOME CASES A HUNDRED YEARS, FOR THESE COMPANIES TO GROW, THEY WILL HAVE DESTROYED IN AS LITTLE AS 10 YEARS THE TRENTONIAN IS A RAG SHEET AND SOON POTTSTOWN MERCURY WILL BE A BIG PILE OF WET NEWSPAPERS, TOO WORTHLESS TO SALVAGE!
PA JRC FORMER EMPLOYEE

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2008

JRC ruined the Norristown Times Herald. That former family owned newspaper had a strong reputation, and covered important local news. No longer, they just don't care. They raped us in 1993. Massive layoffs with 2 hrs notice. The Herald is the "5 minute read", and no one in mgmt has a clue how to fix the problem. They all lack common sense. I think Jelenic should re-write his will, and give back the porsche he got for $1, and the 4.7 million parachute payment he got.
Pottstown and the North Penn Reporter are also joke. They need to fire Dena Fritz. She's a hot headed dingbat.
jeff

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2008

Bob Dylan wrote:
The future is already a thing of the past.
Come on no one reads papers anymore and if they do, many read them online. I know many well educated older people who never read a newspaper. What does that tell you?
I read the free ones at the hotel but refuse to pay the price .75 for a daily and $2 for a Sunday with all the adverts, Gore's internet has doomed them to the ash heap
paper boy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2009

Judged:

this paper is on life support just a matter of time till it die's for good

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Journal Register Discussions

Search the Journal Register Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Journal Register CEO leaves for cancer treatment (Jun '07) Sep '13 Aditya 5
Sale of Journal Register's assets OK'd (Mar '13) Mar '13 Tom Stintsman 1
East Hartford Weekly Newspaper Back In Business (Jan '09) Dec '12 Witness 14
Journal Register Co. to Pay Out Extra Week's Sa... (Nov '10) Nov '10 snoopy220 2
CEO: Time to Change Name of Journal Register Co.? (May '10) May '10 John 1
Stocks in focus for Monday (Jun '07) Dec '09 dave 2
Woman Staying In Newspaper Business, Starting F... (Jan '09) Jun '09 dlh 17
•••
•••
•••
•••