lawsuit filed Gynecare TVT bladder su...
bobbie

AOL

#162 May 22, 2008
Renee wrote:
Yes, of course, Mom1965... I was being somewhat facetious, I guess it didn't come across like I meant it to. Sorry.
I well realize it's serious, and yes, actually I do regret having the TVT done in the first place. I know it's not over yet for me, and yes, I'm also very scared.
I just wanted the Bobbi to know that perhaps the Kegel exercises will help her get to 100% dryness.
Thanks so much for the advise. I will start the kegal exercises right now. Did you do them alot during the day? I guess I'll have to learn to get used to doing them, lol. I am still having some leakage. I am disappointed at that part. I think alot of my leakage is also from the urgency part, though, which the surgery woulld not help anyway. The doctor put me on Vesicare, but believe it or not that caused me to have suicidal thoughts. Very scary. So he has changed my medicine, and it might not be working well enough. At any rate, thanks and I appreciate it.
Kristi Knoxville TN

Hollywood, FL

#163 May 22, 2008
I had the Gynecare TVT surgery 6 weeks ago. It was the same story as others as far as "One Day You Have Urine Leakage, The Next Day You Don't, End Of Story". It sounded too good to be true. I trusted my gynogologist, after all he did deliver my son 7 years ago and has been my OBGYN ever since. I went in 2 weeks after my surgery for my checkup and he poked around in there and REALLY HURT me. He said the sling wasn't completely healed over and he gave me some vaginal cream called Premarin to insert every night for 2 weeks. After that 2 weeks, I went back again. This time he said he could just "cut out" the part of the sling that was showing through and not being covered by inner skin that was stitched over it during the surgery. He went in there with siccors and no anesthesia and tried to "cut away" part of the net. It hurt like hell. He gave me more cream and said to come back in another two weeks. I see him tomorrow. I sure wish I had seen this website before I had the stupid surgery. I may still get better but it sounds like either it works 100% at first or it causes complications forever. Do you think I should have a second opinion before I let him get in there again? He said he would not do any more procedures in his office since it hurt me so badly. He said next time he would sedate me and do it at the hospital and remove more of the netting by cutting out part of it while I was under anesthesia. After reading all of this, I'm scared to let him touch me at all. Oh, and of course in the mean time I cannot have sex or use tampons. This has been a real picnic for my husband too. I am 43 years old and am obese. I have heard, since my surgery, that obese women have even more complications from this surgery than healthy sized women. Does anyone realte to my situation?
Kristi Knoxville TN

United States

#164 May 22, 2008
Cathy wrote:
I have been surfing for months to find this web site, I knew that I wasn't alone. I am from the Phila. area and I had a partial hysterectomy in June 2007, I was told that I could have this safe, minimually evasive procedure done at the same time. It was a sling to stop me from dripping, when coughing or laughing, which wasn't all the time. I agreed and I haven't been the same since. The plastic mesh is protruding through my vagainal wall and causing constant infections and pain. I had another corrective surgey in Oct. 2007 and still the problem exists. I was told by my doctor that it was my fault because I shouldn't have had sex. Since then, I have had two more procudes done in his office, where he has gone in and cut the plastic with no anestisia, no pain medications, nothing. The mesh is still coming through my wall and causing me problems. I don't know what to do, who can I call, who can I see? I am a 44yr old divorced woman with a lot of life left and I feel like it is over. Pleaes help!
My situation is very similar to yours. I am 43 years old and also feel like there is alot of life left in me. My input is #162.
Mell

Ottawa, Canada

#165 May 26, 2008
I had the tvt-O surgery and it was incredibly painful for recovery as they stressed my hip flexor and tore my knee while in the stirrup. It was painful indeed! I had the surgery March 8 of this year and now find that sex simply must be gentle. There are certain positions that can't be done anymore otherwise it feels like I'm being torn just inside my vagina. As happy as I am about being continent again, I am as unhappy about the sex life.
bigouch51

United States

#166 May 27, 2008
I'm from Minnesota, are you? I had partial removal due to infection from mesh in Dec. 07....let me know if you're from minnesota. [email protected]
Missy wrote:
So now I know I'm not the only one experiencing knife like stabbing pains in my left abdomen and affecting my left leg. Sometimes just wearing clothes and rubbing my abdomen feel like knives to me. I'm 12 days post op and should not be in this much pain yet. Its unbelievable. Nothing works for the pain. I'm tired of sitting here and crying and feeling alone. I feel as if no one understands me. That I'm making it all up. I wish I would have found this site before I had the surgery done. I'm now calling the surgeon on Monday and explaining everything and demanding I get in immediately. After reading all the other posts on here I'm scared as hell now. I just hope since mine is fairly new there won't be no major problems. Lori and Mom please keep in touch with me and let me know how things go for you. I sure hope we can help each other out on here. Best wishes, Missy
<quoted text>
bigouch51

United States

#167 May 27, 2008
in Response to Tammy....I have developed a type of restless legs twitching although not just at night but sporatically....I had mesh implanted 8/04, and partial removal 12/21/07 due to imflamation/infection and it poked thru my vagina wall and tore up my whole vagina....could this leg stuff be similar to what you were talking about? Have been looking for a lawyer....not so much luck say they'll take my case but poor follow up with me. ke from minnesota
Helen

UK

#168 May 28, 2008
Hi
Im so upset reading all your pain and suffering... I wish I had found this site before having my TVT done 3 weeks ago. I had what I thought was the perfect consultant. Im wishing I had never met him.

I ffeel so disgusting as I can feel the mesh rubbing on my vagina wall when I sit, walk and lay down. He made it sound so simple and like an idiot I believed him. I imagined by the way he was talking it was something like the size of a plaster. I can totally feel it inside and the stitches on the outside just keep getting irritated by the mesh when I sit.

I have never in my life felt so depressed. I had keyhole hysterectomy done 8 weks ago and fully recovered in 2 weeks...... I cant see any light at the end of the tunnel with this TVT..
Renee

Cranberry, PA

#169 May 29, 2008
FWIW, I'm 50 years old, very healthy, and quite active. Also, 5'4" tall and 120 pounds.

I, too, could actually *feel* the mesh tape cutting into tissue from about Day 2 on. I told my gyne this, and he was very sympathetic, but could never see or feel anything. Finally, 7 weeks post op, I was nearly frantic, so my husband looked, and he actually COULD SEE the bright blue color of the mesh when he looked inside! Note this was with his naked eye and no speculum, or other "tools"! I saw the gyne the next day and he said, "Yep, you have full vaginal erosion."

I didn't know this before, but the mesh is very sharp along the edges, allegedly to help it bond with tissue, and to help tissue *imbed* in it. The mesh tape is covered with a thin smooth sheath when they insert it, then they pull the sheath off.

I am scheduled for surgery to remove the mesh on June 9 (well, all the mesh except the ends which are ticked up inside my legs somewhere; they can't get to those so they leave them). It scares and worries me that I have to live like this until then... it can't be good for me!

I am just hoping hard for a good outcome... and no permanent problems.
Renee

Cranberry, PA

#170 May 29, 2008
FWIW, I'm 50 years old, very healthy, and quite active. Also, 5'4" tall and 120 pounds.

I, too, could actually *feel* the mesh tape cutting into tissue from about Day 2 on. I told my gyne this, and he was very sympathetic, but could never see or feel anything. Finally, 7 weeks post op, I was nearly frantic, so my husband looked, and he actually COULD SEE the bright blue color of the mesh when he looked inside! Note this was with his naked eye and no speculum, or other "tools"! I saw the gyne the next day and he said, "Yep, you have full vaginal erosion."

I didn't know this before, but the mesh is very sharp along the edges, allegedly to help it bond with tissue, and to help tissue *imbed* in it. The mesh tape is covered with a thin smooth sheath when they insert it, then they pull the sheath off once the mesh is in place.

I am scheduled for surgery to remove the mesh on June 9 (well, all the mesh except the ends which are ticked up inside my legs somewhere; they can't get to those so they leave them). It scares and worries me that I have to live like this until then... it can't be good for me!

I am just hoping hard for a good outcome... and no permanent problems.
Pat

Fairport, NY

#171 May 29, 2008
I had the gynecare tvt mesh in-serted under my uretha three years ago and it completely stopped the urine leakage, but lately i have been having a lot of hurting and burning in that area. Has anyone had this done and are having problems?
Sandy

Canada

#172 May 29, 2008
I'm Canadian and I have had the surgery done last June 2007 know they are having to remove it because it has bunched up and has been causing me a lot of pain and bladder infections. I do not know what they will do after they remove it but I don't want it put back in. i will be having a histo at the same time (vaginaly) so we will see how it goes. I have been on Detrol for 4 months with no help at all and have still been leaking all the time and have very bad pain. Wish I would have never gotten the surgery done. Has anyone been compinsated from the manufacter for the problems that this is causing women????
e-mail at [email protected]
mom1965

Sudbury, Canada

#173 May 30, 2008
Sandy wrote:
I'm Canadian and I have had the surgery done last June 2007 know they are having to remove it because it has bunched up and has been causing me a lot of pain and bladder infections. I do not know what they will do after they remove it but I don't want it put back in. i will be having a histo at the same time (vaginaly) so we will see how it goes. I have been on Detrol for 4 months with no help at all and have still been leaking all the time and have very bad pain. Wish I would have never gotten the surgery done. Has anyone been compinsated from the manufacter for the problems that this is causing women????
e-mail at [email protected]
Hi Sandy I am a canadion also .I had my tvt done in aug of 2007 and the pain is unbearable at times Detrol hasent worked for me either along with a list of other meds which in my openion is a wast of our money.I was told that it was going to be such a simple procedure,wish I never heard tell of it. I have nerve damage and heaven knows what else.I think I am soon going to have the drs office wore outgoing back and forth...but its not fair its been 9 months for me and I dont even go for walks amy more because of the pain from moving around..Its hard and not fair and believe me if there was some way to sue I would be one of the first..........Take care Mom1965
Helen

UK

#174 May 30, 2008
Renee I dont envy you at all having to wait all that time. I went to my consultant today and told him to sort it out or take it out. He managed to take out some stitches and cut some of the edges off. The pain was unbearable and I was screaming the place down........he said I have to rest for a few days as the whole thing may just drop.
I have had two baths in the past 4 hours as it seems to relieve the bladder pressure
I sincerely wish you well Renee and hope the surgery sorts out your problems and too all of you that are having problems
Take care
Helen
xx
Barbara

Ball Ground, GA

#175 May 30, 2008
Lana Miami wrote:
WOMEN UNITE!
Now is your chance to stand up and shine like a star!
Has your life and body been irrevocably changed (and not in a good way) by the Gynecare TVT System?
Tell it to the judge!
Stand up in a court of law and tell it like it is. I'm calling on all women who have been injured by this product and procedure to speak their piece.
Stand up and be counted! Let's unite to make certain no other innocent person has to suffer in pain for the rest of their lives because of a product and procedure that should not even be in the marketplace.
My lawsuit is the ideal platform from which to strike a blow at the company that manufactures and distributes the Gynecare TVT System.
I have filed a product liability lawsuit against Ethicon, Inc, Gynecare and Johnson & Johnson in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
Lana C. Keeton, Plaintiff Pro Se vs. Ethicon, Inc.(d/b/a Gynecare Worldwide) and Johnson & Johnson, Case #06-21116-Civ-Ungaro-Benages.
I do not have an attorney. I am doing this by myself. I really need your support.
It is set for trial for October 1, 2007.
Will you, and anyone else reading this with problems from the Gynecare TVT tape, please testify at trial? We have to help each other to stop this from happening to other women.
Please send me your contact info: name, e-mail address and phone number to:
Lana Keeton
Miami, Florida
e-mail: [email protected]
blog: http://www.theladyisachamp.blogspot.com
August 17, 2007 is the deadline for my witness list, so please contact me now, or I will not be able to put you on the witness stand to tell your story.
A huge issue for all women, this procedure, if done at all, should only be done by an experienced urogynecologist. The procedure is blind. The doctor sticks a needle into your vagina and brings it out through the abdominal skin. They then look through a cystoscopy to make sure it is not in your bladder. The only thing they know from this, is that it is (problably) not in your bladder. No one knows where that tape is once it is inside of you.
That is, unless you have problems from it, of course. Problems that includes cutting into your bladder, your vagina, your urethra. Then, believe me, you definitely know where it is. You can feel it hurting you. At the same time, however, your doctor still does not know where the tape is for sure.
The Gynecare TVT System and its TVT Device (Prolene mesh tape) are inherently defective for more than one reason.
1. The tape itself has abrasive edges that cut human tissue. Sensitive, living tissue in organs like the bladder, the vagina, the urethra. It is a process that will not stop unless your doctor surgically intervenes in some manner.
I have reports from an expert witness that the edges of the tape are defective. Please contact me at [email protected] if you would like me to send you the information.
2. The plastic sheaths that cover the tape for the purpose of implanting it in your body have to be pulled out after the tape is put inside you. Any movement of that tape after implantation is undesirable based on a patent that Ethicon filed in 2004.
3. There is much more....
There is a way to conservatively manage the complications so as not to further damage your healthy tissue. Dr. G. Willy Davila of the Cleveland Clinic Florida in Weston, Florida has been treating me now for almost 5 years removing parts of the sling. He will be able to refer you to a competent urogynecologist if you do not live in Florida.
This has been a long arduous painful process for me. I hope I will be able to help other women not to suffer as I have. Please contact me.
Peace and Blessings,
Lana
Lana, has your lawsuit been settled? If so, what was the verdict?
Renee

Cranberry, PA

#176 May 30, 2008
Helen wrote:
Renee I dont envy you at all having to wait all that time. I went to my consultant today and told him to sort it out or take it out. He managed to take out some stitches and cut some of the edges off. The pain was unbearable and I was screaming the place down........he said I have to rest for a few days as the whole thing may just drop.
I have had two baths in the past 4 hours as it seems to relieve the bladder pressure
I sincerely wish you well Renee and hope the surgery sorts out your problems and too all of you that are having problems
Take care
Helen
xx
Oh Helen, that's just dreadful. I am soooo sorry. Please keep us posted.

The waiting for my mesh-removal procedure is hard, but the time is passing quickly... only 10 more days. The pain's not so bad as it was (but I am taking Motrin 800 mg several times a day and Tylenol #3 at bedtime.) I am also using Premarin vaginal cream at bedtime.

I had LASIK vision correction surgery a few years ago and never, ever regretted it. And there are plenty of horror stories out there about THAT... but I just took a *leap of faith* and have been happily seeing 20/20 since.

I guess I thought the TVT would be a similar thing... I knew there were risks and I had heard some horror stories... but I took another leap of faith. Unfortunately, this one didn't turn out so well. But I still have faith and confidence in the mesh removal procedure and I'm trying to keep a positive outlook about it. I will keep you guys posted.

But again, I feel STRONGLY that many, many women have successfully had the TVT procedure, and for those women, I am so very happy. I hope that this forum doesn't scare those women that have had it and are doing well.
Helen

UK

#177 Jun 1, 2008
I Renee am more comfortable sitting etc but feel like its all dropped again inside....I can honestly say I have never been so depressed in my life. I have not been able to ride my horses for 6 months I can now barely sit in the car as a passenger as I still cant drive myself anywhere. its too painful. I have to see how I am the next couple of days and go back and speak to him Friday

I wish I had looked into this a bit more before believing it was just a simple procedure with a simple bit of tape.......

I feel the same about the success stories, Im so glad it has worked for the thousands that have had it done

Funny thing is I was going to have eye laser surgery done this year as I hate wearing glasses.......Im too scared now of having any surgery
Oh too be a man. still they have a hard life dont they.. they do have to shave every day ha ha and then they cant do that without cutting themselves

Take care Renee and anyone else due to have surgery

xx
Helen

UK

#178 Jun 2, 2008
just to make me feel even lower than low. I am now as of today back to peeing myself at the slightest sneeze or cough........how lucky am I

xx
Renee

Cranberry, PA

#179 Jun 2, 2008
Helen wrote:
just to make me feel even lower than low. I am now as of today back to peeing myself at the slightest sneeze or cough........how lucky am I
xx
Helen,
Don't minimize the effects that Kegels can have for you! Do them at every opportunity. Do 10 at each red light... do them when you are on the phone, brushing your teeth... you get the idea... just try to make them a habit. I definitely think that will get you back to where you were. Keep us posted.
wisemom

Warrendale, PA

#180 Jun 5, 2008
Has anyone had the Avaulta Plus system put in? I had it done 10 months ago along with hysterectomy. Sex is painful, have leaking, blood in my urine since day one and continues and now I am on my 3rd round of Cipro for bladder infections with the last 2 months. Bladder spasms are constant and painful. My doctor was fired, seen the Dr. in charge and he wants me to have cystoscope. He thinks the mesh may have eroded into the bladder. Anyone had this happen to them?
mom1965

Halifax, Canada

#181 Jun 5, 2008
wisemom wrote:
Has anyone had the Avaulta Plus system put in? I had it done 10 months ago along with hysterectomy. Sex is painful, have leaking, blood in my urine since day one and continues and now I am on my 3rd round of Cipro for bladder infections with the last 2 months. Bladder spasms are constant and painful. My doctor was fired, seen the Dr. in charge and he wants me to have cystoscope. He thinks the mesh may have eroded into the bladder. Anyone had this happen to them?
Hi I had the tvt done in aug 2007, and it seems that every couple of weeks there are infections and pain I had the cyscacope done in feb 2008 and the dr said it looked fine but gave me demerol perscription an 7 weeks of antibiotics .Since feb I have had 6 infections cipro ,macribid,sulfer and it seems nothing works.I hope you feel better soon because I think we can all relate to these problems....mom1965

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson and Johnson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ethicon Suture Recall (Jun '09) Aug 7 eddalton 50
Poll Injured by Ethicon's Prolene Hernia/Bladder Mesh? (Jul '08) Aug '15 Denise Schrader 207
Successful removal of TVT (Apr '11) Jul '15 jane 81
News Transgender teenager Jazz Jennings signed to be... Mar '15 Bikash 2
News Hillsborough in hunt for up to 700 Johnson & Jo... (Mar '15) Mar '15 HumanSpirit 1
News Safety trial of Ebola vaccine under way in England (Jan '15) Jan '15 Thx 1
News Branswell: Halted Swiss study of Canadian Ebola... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Thx 1
More from around the web