Roberta V

Canada

#1632 Jan 8, 2011
barb2000 wrote:
<quoted text>
Roberta,
I am reading what you post and promise I am searching for a strong Law Firm that is licensed in Canada that will take your case. I know it is frustrating and your in pain but hang in there for me. I should know something by the middle of next week.
Sincerely,
Barb~
barbmartin_2000@yahoo.com
Barb:
Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I await any info you can provide me on legal firms in Canada and class action suits!!!!

Sincerely,

Roberta
Kim

Sugar Land, TX

#1633 Jan 9, 2011
Does anyone know a doctor in the Houston area? I had the surgery done in December 2009. I only have problems during intercourse and sensativity near I suppose where the monach is attached near my vagina. My doctor says the pain I encounter is the incision in the vigina and has used silver nitrate to "burn" the sensative areas (very painful). I would like to get another opinion. Anyone know of a good urogynecologist or gyn in the Houston area that has dealt with the mesh and removal?

“BEWARE- DOCTOR'S PUSHING MESH!”

Since: Apr 09

Maben, MS

#1634 Jan 9, 2011
Kim,

I recommend trying to contact Dr. Zimmern. He is located at UT in Dallas, but it would be well worth the consultation.

“BEWARE- DOCTOR'S PUSHING MESH!”

Since: Apr 09

Maben, MS

#1635 Jan 9, 2011
That is, Dr. Philippe Zimmern...
Anonymous

United States

#1636 Jan 9, 2011
My big concern here is that after you paid all the legal fees involved it would not be worth the trouble, too much unknown in this contract. I know they say you don't pay unless they collect, but it still is not clear to me the fees involved, seems a lot of open-ended legal terms they use. How about some infor on what people have settled on with these lawsuits and a post from those folks. Guess I am just not too trusting with lawyers and how doctors stick together with this stuff.
khughes

London, UK

#1637 Jan 9, 2011
Aloha 1983 can you tell me who you used for mesh removal in UCLA?

“Public Consultant”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#1638 Jan 9, 2011
nana2seven wrote:
My big concern here is that after you paid all the legal fees involved it would not be worth the trouble, too much unknown in this contract. I know they say you don't pay unless they collect, but it still is not clear to me the fees involved, seems a lot of open-ended legal terms they use. How about some infor on what people have settled on with these lawsuits and a post from those folks. Guess I am just not too trusting with lawyers and how doctors stick together with this stuff.
Nana2seven,
I have worked with some of the Top law firms and it's sad to say but it will be hard pressed to find a law firm that will take a small fee and if you do then I would do my home work on that firm to make sure they have actually reached Big settlements in court! Most of the reptuable firms will ALL be around the same in Fees.

Yes it doesn't seem fair but what do you do? Should you just let the Giant Corporate/Pharm Groups get away with this because the law firm will take to big of a percentage. Trust me when I say I have struggled with this issue for over 12 years and have came to the conclusion if you want the BEST to represent you then you pay for the BEST. Along with I really don't agree that the BIG Firms are in bed with the doctors. The attorney presents the case and the Judge and Jury make the decision and if there was ANY possibility that any firm was in bed with the doctors the other attorneys on similar cases would EXPOSE that in a heart beat:) which that is a Positive Note for the Plaintiff as in it's a cut throat legal battle for all attorneys to get their hands on these cases therefore digging up dirt on other law firms is a must!

I know it sounds as though I am rambling but just trying to explain the best I can so......PLEASE everyone when it comes to retaining a law firm for any case do your home work and choose according to their credintials not their fees and you will come out better on the settlement.

Sincerely,
Barb~
mary shelton

Stonewall, LA

#1639 Jan 9, 2011
Is there any one in the Shreveport/Bossier,La area
Or Texas that has had this mest put in. Then had it removed?
Nikki

Chesapeake, VA

#1640 Jan 9, 2011
Nana2seven
You and I feel the same way, I wanted to know the approx. Amounts people settled for or won verdicts against the bladder sling companies also but no one is talking. I also know that if people are settling for undisclosed amount they can't talk but come on people give us a break. Some info would be useful here, I mean use a fake name if you need to but we just want to know if it is all worth it. I also don' t really trust lawyers or doctors anymore due to the horror stories I have been told.

“Public Consultant”

Location hidden

#1641 Jan 9, 2011
I will try to explain in caps in order for you see what I am saying vs what is in most contracts.
IV. ATTORNEY'S FEES- NO FEE UNLESS YOU WIN
Prospective client hereby grants the law firm a lien on the attorney's file, cause of action, settlements and judgments, to the extent of the share and sums herein mentioned as attorney fees, costs and expenses. This lien remains in effect not withstanding premature termination of this contract by the prospective client. The law firms retain the discretion to withdraw as the attorney if, in the attorney's opinion, the probable recovery would not justify litigation.
THIS IS IN CASE ALL CASES ARE CONSOLIDATED INTO A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT.
Both you and the class will be represented on a contingent basis. This means that you will not be obligated to pay any of our attorneys' fees or expenses unless we secure some recovery, whether through settlement or judgment or otherwise, whether monetary or otherwise, on behalf of either you or the class.
Should we achieve a recovery on behalf of the class, we will petition the court for an award of attorneys' fees and expenses. Although the court will determine what to award, you agree that a fair award of attorneys' fees from a fund recovered for the class would be one-third of the total recovery plus reimbursement of all costs and expenses with interest. THE JUDGE WILL DETERMINE THE FEE, THEREFORE THERE IS NO WAY FOR THE ATTORNEY TO DETERMINE THE FEE ALL IS UPTO THE JUDGE.
Alternatively, should the court use the lodestar method of awarding fees (number of hours worked times a multiplier), you agree that a fair award of fees would be a lodestar based on our then-current hourly rates with a multiplier of at least three, plus the reimbursement of all our costs and expenses with interest.
LODESTAR WAS PLACED UPON THE ATTORNEYS SEVERAL YEARS AGO TO PROTECT THE PLAINTIFF OF LAW FIRMS THAT TAKE IN YOUR CASE AND DO NOTHING BUT REFERRE IT UP TO THE "BIG DOGS" TO LITIGATE BUT THE REFERRING ATTORNEY STILL TAKES HIS PERCENTAGE ALONG WITH THE NEW FIRM. NOW THE REFERRING ATTORNEY HAS TO WORK ON YOUR CASE AND PROVE UP HIS TIME AND EXPENSES TO GET AWARD HIS FEES FROM THE JUDGE.

“Public Consultant”

Location hidden

#1643 Jan 9, 2011
Last part:

If the court determines that a Class Action is viable for this case, and such litigation is concluded successfully, we will apply to the Court for a fee based upon the total recovery obtained, and the court will determine any and all fees. Fees in such actions can be based on the number of hours the attorneys work on the case, times a multiplier, or on a percentage of the total recovery in the case. Typically, fees range from between 25% and 35%(THIS IS NORMAL FOR ALL BIG LAW FIRMS. ACTUALLY I FEEL THIS IS LOW I HAVE SEEN SOME SAY 40-45 PERCENT IF THEY LITIGATE) of the amount recovered, although the fee can be a little higher or lower depending on a number of factors. If we decide to represent you, we will advance, on a totally contingent basis, all out-of-pocket expenses. These expenses will be sought from the Court at the end of the litigation if it is resolved successfully.
TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THE JUDGE WILL ASK FOR ATTORNEYS TO SUBMIT THEIR TIME AND EXPENSES AND IF THEY ARE WAY ABOVE WHAT IS NORMAL THAT WILL CAUSE THE JUDGE TO ASK FOR FURTHER PROVE UP AND DELAY SETTLEMENT AND POSSIBLILTY OF DENIAL OF FEES, THEREFORE ATTORNEYS NORMALLY WILL NOT CROSS THE LINE ON OBSESSIVE EXPENSES.
In connection with any litigation we initiate on your behalf, you may have to produce evidence of your ability to be an adequate representative on behalf of the class. You also may have to have your deposition taken, or give oral testimony and/or appear at trial on these issues, should any such action proceed that far, although it is premature to know whether this will be necessary or not.
I HOPE THIS WAS HELPFUL AND I AM NOT DOING THIS FOR ANY OF YOU TO CONTACT ME. I AM JUST TRYING TO HELP AND SAY..........DON'T LET THE FEE PERCENTAGE STOP YOU FROM AGGRESSIVELY GOING AFTER JUSTICE!! IF YOU CONTACT ME OR SOMEONE ELSE JUST DO IT BEFORE YOU HAVE LOST YOUR RIGHT TO FIGHT FOR WHAT YOU DESERVE.
Sincerely,
Barb~

“Public Consultant”

Location hidden

#1644 Jan 9, 2011
Nikki wrote:
Nana2seven
You and I feel the same way, I wanted to know the approx. Amounts people settled for or won verdicts against the bladder sling companies also but no one is talking. I also know that if people are settling for undisclosed amount they can't talk but come on people give us a break. Some info would be useful here, I mean use a fake name if you need to but we just want to know if it is all worth it. I also don' t really trust lawyers or doctors anymore due to the horror stories I have been told.
Nikki & Nana2seven,

As I stated a couple of days ago,I am working on compiling some settlement amounts from different law firms (along with trying to locate some law firms that will represent these ladies from Canada)in order to give you a range of what to expect but keep in mind there isn't that many cases that have settled yet. Most lawsuits take an estimated 2 years to reach a substantial settlement. Since law firms are just now starting to take these cases, therefore the lady that said her friend settled for around 2-300,000.00 I feel that is very low! I should have some estimated amounts for you by next week.

Sincerely,
Barb~

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#1645 Jan 9, 2011
Suzanne in Dixieland wrote:
Kim,
I recommend trying to contact Dr. Zimmern. He is located at UT in Dallas, but it would be well worth the consultation.
I know ladies that went to Zimmern. He is a wonderful doctor, but does not go after the arms/tabs that are deeply embedded in the obturator and levator muscles. My dr. in Ca removed ALL of my mesh in one surgery. It was very difficult, but I am 11+ wks post op and some days am completely pain free.I only take ibuprofen if I need it. I am returning to some stretching exercises and my pelvis is weak, but what a difference to get it all out. Depending what type of mesh and where it is,depends on what the surgeon feels comfortable removing.Mine was so infected it all had to come out. It is a breeding ground for infection. The dr at UCLA also does a translabial ultrasound to see the remaining mesh, you can see it plain as day. Therefore, he knows where to locate it and remove it. There are few doctors that use that type of technology. Google UCLA urology department and look for Dr. Raz. It was worth the trip to CA for me, it is usually out pt., unless complications arise. I drove 4 hrs in the car to visit my mom the day after Christmas, went to an all day seminar for my nursing license renewal last week.Can have relations with my husband! He is very skilled and so caring. Good luck to you, don't give up.
Nikki

Chesapeake, VA

#1646 Jan 9, 2011
Barb2000,
I await for for complied settlement amounts regarding the bladder slings and I do know that these cases are "new" for law firms but as I stated before one law firm I talked to claimed that they just settle " a bunch" of the mentor obtape cases and now were moving along to another type of sling and I often wondered if that lawyer lied to me since she claimed that she did so before the summer of 2010, how could she when you said that it takes approx 2 years and with the fact that these are new to many law firms. That law firm in question was Burke Harvey and franksowki (not sure if spelled correctly). The fact that we all suffer in pain day in and day out I personally can not wait to receive what's due me and to have this mesh removed.
Nikki

Chesapeake, VA

#1647 Jan 9, 2011
Barb2000
You said a settlement of 200,000 to 300,000 seemed to low well I just read a case where a women's case was thrown out of court because she asked for 4 million the judge claimed he thought the jury felt she asked for too much, that doesn't seem fair to me and he also told her that "at best her case was only worth several hundred thousand". Sex is overrated at times but when you loose the ability to have it you should be awarded in the millions.
Roberta V

Canada

#1648 Jan 9, 2011
barb2000 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nikki & Nana2seven,
As I stated a couple of days ago,I am working on compiling some settlement amounts from different law firms (along with trying to locate some law firms that will represent these ladies from Canada)in order to give you a range of what to expect but keep in mind there isn't that many cases that have settled yet. Most lawsuits take an estimated 2 years to reach a substantial settlement. Since law firms are just now starting to take these cases, therefore the lady that said her friend settled for around 2-300,000.00 I feel that is very low! I should have some estimated amounts for you by next week.
Sincerely,
Barb~
I really would appreciate the law firms that may be willing in Canada to represent Canadian women with the same issues as the American females on this board have with our legal system, etc. Class action appears the best way to address these issues is my understanding. I think we have to band together world wide as these corporations are selling their product to physicans to use world wide knowing full well that there are many many serious, long-lasting, life-time and life altering complications. Thanks for your time, expertise and any info that you can shed on this!!!! You are definitely appreciated.

Sincerely,
Roberta
(from British Columbia, Canada)
Nikki

Chesapeake, VA

#1649 Jan 10, 2011
Barb2000
Still waiting for my answers

“Public Consultant”

Location hidden

#1650 Jan 10, 2011
Nikki wrote:
Barb2000,
I await for for complied settlement amounts regarding the bladder slings and I do know that these cases are "new" for law firms but as I stated before one law firm I talked to claimed that they just settle " a bunch" of the mentor obtape cases and now were moving along to another type of sling and I often wondered if that lawyer lied to me since she claimed that she did so before the summer of 2010, how could she when you said that it takes approx 2 years and with the fact that these are new to many law firms. That law firm in question was Burke Harvey and franksowki (not sure if spelled correctly). The fact that we all suffer in pain day in and day out I personally can not wait to receive what's due me and to have this mesh removed.
Nikki,

I will look that up right now for you because they are new and I am just not seeing settlements yet from most firms that are ACTUALLY litigating these cases! I myself would assume they must have settled out of court immediately and if they did I won't be able to pull up the amount but I will say I have NEVER heard of this group.
I did say I would have some answers for you by this week and I know everyone is patiently awaiting and I truly apologize it is taking so long but it is hard to get settlement amounts and I do want everyone to keep in mind every case is different. I know I have said that before but just wanted to put it out there again.

Also Nikki I can't EVEN start to imagine the pain you ladies are going through but there is NO WAY to speed up the process UNLESS you happen to go with one of the law firms that will negotiate your case out of court! When you do that and only if the defendant is willing to do this you are selling yourself short and seeking no justice as in stopping them from the continuing of marketing this product! Not even a slap on the hand therefore is not waiting and settling out of court worth it?

I am just trying to help so please hang in there for me a bit longer.

Sincerely,
Barb~
Jackie

Daytona Beach, FL

#1651 Jan 10, 2011
Barb,
you said that we might have to have a deposition taken, or give oral testimony and/or appear at trial. If that is so, who pays for me to travel from Fl. to texas?
I already had 3 surgeries done, and my husband has been out of work for the last 5 months. I am saving up some money to have this next surgery done. I just don't have that kind of money to travel with.
Anonymous

United States

#1652 Jan 10, 2011
I would like to see more results from cases already won. Like I said before I know the lawyers take a big amount and thats ok if I am getting a big amount too. My situation is that I have no insurance due to pre-existing conditions and the drs that I have seen are hesitant to say my problem is from the sling, even tho I am sure it is, I have researched enough that I know that much. So I do not go to a dr much, just do the best I can. It gets really discouraging when you hurt and have infections and sex is terrible now. I have not ruled out persuing this, just want to be sure its the right thing. Was told by two other law firms that the time had run out, that makes no sense to me, How could the time be out if I am still coping with this problem, I wish it could run out for the pain for me. Sorry for rambling!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson and Johnson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Safety trial of Ebola vaccine under way in England Jan 7 Thx 1
Branswell: Halted Swiss study of Canadian Ebola... Jan 7 Thx 1
Injured by Ethicon's Prolene Hernia/Bladder Mesh? (Jul '08) Jan 6 denise chuck schr... 207
Verdict: $3.35 Million Awarded in Vaginal Mesh ... (Mar '13) Nov '14 Ericaparker 4
J&J may face additional payments of $250M on hi... Nov '14 Ericaparker 1
Stop Johnsons and Johnsons Incorporatedís abili... Sep '14 Gerald 1
Successful removal of TVT (Apr '11) Sep '14 karen53 78
More from around the web