lawsuit filed Gynecare TVT bladder su...
Nikki

Chesapeake, VA

#1646 Jan 9, 2011
Barb2000,
I await for for complied settlement amounts regarding the bladder slings and I do know that these cases are "new" for law firms but as I stated before one law firm I talked to claimed that they just settle " a bunch" of the mentor obtape cases and now were moving along to another type of sling and I often wondered if that lawyer lied to me since she claimed that she did so before the summer of 2010, how could she when you said that it takes approx 2 years and with the fact that these are new to many law firms. That law firm in question was Burke Harvey and franksowki (not sure if spelled correctly). The fact that we all suffer in pain day in and day out I personally can not wait to receive what's due me and to have this mesh removed.
Nikki

Chesapeake, VA

#1647 Jan 9, 2011
Barb2000
You said a settlement of 200,000 to 300,000 seemed to low well I just read a case where a women's case was thrown out of court because she asked for 4 million the judge claimed he thought the jury felt she asked for too much, that doesn't seem fair to me and he also told her that "at best her case was only worth several hundred thousand". Sex is overrated at times but when you loose the ability to have it you should be awarded in the millions.
Roberta V

Canada

#1648 Jan 9, 2011
barb2000 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nikki & Nana2seven,
As I stated a couple of days ago,I am working on compiling some settlement amounts from different law firms (along with trying to locate some law firms that will represent these ladies from Canada)in order to give you a range of what to expect but keep in mind there isn't that many cases that have settled yet. Most lawsuits take an estimated 2 years to reach a substantial settlement. Since law firms are just now starting to take these cases, therefore the lady that said her friend settled for around 2-300,000.00 I feel that is very low! I should have some estimated amounts for you by next week.
Sincerely,
Barb~
[email protected]
I really would appreciate the law firms that may be willing in Canada to represent Canadian women with the same issues as the American females on this board have with our legal system, etc. Class action appears the best way to address these issues is my understanding. I think we have to band together world wide as these corporations are selling their product to physicans to use world wide knowing full well that there are many many serious, long-lasting, life-time and life altering complications. Thanks for your time, expertise and any info that you can shed on this!!!! You are definitely appreciated.

Sincerely,
Roberta
(from British Columbia, Canada)
Nikki

Chesapeake, VA

#1649 Jan 10, 2011
Barb2000
Still waiting for my answers

“Public Consultant”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#1650 Jan 10, 2011
Nikki wrote:
Barb2000,
I await for for complied settlement amounts regarding the bladder slings and I do know that these cases are "new" for law firms but as I stated before one law firm I talked to claimed that they just settle " a bunch" of the mentor obtape cases and now were moving along to another type of sling and I often wondered if that lawyer lied to me since she claimed that she did so before the summer of 2010, how could she when you said that it takes approx 2 years and with the fact that these are new to many law firms. That law firm in question was Burke Harvey and franksowki (not sure if spelled correctly). The fact that we all suffer in pain day in and day out I personally can not wait to receive what's due me and to have this mesh removed.
Nikki,

I will look that up right now for you because they are new and I am just not seeing settlements yet from most firms that are ACTUALLY litigating these cases! I myself would assume they must have settled out of court immediately and if they did I won't be able to pull up the amount but I will say I have NEVER heard of this group.
I did say I would have some answers for you by this week and I know everyone is patiently awaiting and I truly apologize it is taking so long but it is hard to get settlement amounts and I do want everyone to keep in mind every case is different. I know I have said that before but just wanted to put it out there again.

Also Nikki I can't EVEN start to imagine the pain you ladies are going through but there is NO WAY to speed up the process UNLESS you happen to go with one of the law firms that will negotiate your case out of court! When you do that and only if the defendant is willing to do this you are selling yourself short and seeking no justice as in stopping them from the continuing of marketing this product! Not even a slap on the hand therefore is not waiting and settling out of court worth it?

I am just trying to help so please hang in there for me a bit longer.

Sincerely,
Barb~
Jackie

Daytona Beach, FL

#1651 Jan 10, 2011
Barb,
you said that we might have to have a deposition taken, or give oral testimony and/or appear at trial. If that is so, who pays for me to travel from Fl. to texas?
I already had 3 surgeries done, and my husband has been out of work for the last 5 months. I am saving up some money to have this next surgery done. I just don't have that kind of money to travel with.
Anonymous

United States

#1652 Jan 10, 2011
I would like to see more results from cases already won. Like I said before I know the lawyers take a big amount and thats ok if I am getting a big amount too. My situation is that I have no insurance due to pre-existing conditions and the drs that I have seen are hesitant to say my problem is from the sling, even tho I am sure it is, I have researched enough that I know that much. So I do not go to a dr much, just do the best I can. It gets really discouraging when you hurt and have infections and sex is terrible now. I have not ruled out persuing this, just want to be sure its the right thing. Was told by two other law firms that the time had run out, that makes no sense to me, How could the time be out if I am still coping with this problem, I wish it could run out for the pain for me. Sorry for rambling!!

“Public Consultant”

Location hidden

#1653 Jan 10, 2011
Nikki,

I just ran a check on the law firm you mentioned and you must have spoke to C. Edwards. I do see 1 case that she has filed and it was a Mentor obtape case but I am not seeing a settlement amount or if it is settled since in the documents they have; Restricted Document - Pursuant to Protective Order, therefore I can't open documents. The case is Mentor Corp. obtape Transobturator Sling Products Liability Litigation;
MDL Docket No. 2004
4:08-MD-2004 (CDL)
ALL CASES

Therefore those cases have been consolidated.
I have contacted someone that might know this group and can assist me in getting more information, therefore hope to update you tomorrow concerning that as well.
Sincerely,
Barb~

“Public Consultant”

Location hidden

#1654 Jan 10, 2011
Jackie wrote:
Barb,
you said that we might have to have a deposition taken, or give oral testimony and/or appear at trial. If that is so, who pays for me to travel from Fl. to texas?
I already had 3 surgeries done, and my husband has been out of work for the last 5 months. I am saving up some money to have this next surgery done. I just don't have that kind of money to travel with.
Jackie,

Travel would be paid by law firm then reimbursed through expenses they submit upon settlement.

Sincerely,

Barb~

“Public Consultant”

Location hidden

#1655 Jan 10, 2011
nana2seven wrote:
I would like to see more results from cases already won. Like I said before I know the lawyers take a big amount and thats ok if I am getting a big amount too. My situation is that I have no insurance due to pre-existing conditions and the drs that I have seen are hesitant to say my problem is from the sling, even tho I am sure it is, I have researched enough that I know that much. So I do not go to a dr much, just do the best I can. It gets really discouraging when you hurt and have infections and sex is terrible now. I have not ruled out persuing this, just want to be sure its the right thing. Was told by two other law firms that the time had run out, that makes no sense to me, How could the time be out if I am still coping with this problem, I wish it could run out for the pain for me. Sorry for rambling!!
When was your surgery? Since the FDA didn't send out the warning notice until 08, then it is possible to go by the first date of notice not date of surgery.

Please I hear what you are saying but if you don't do something NOW you will lose your rights to sue and that would be ashame to let that pass. There are Letters of Protection that some doctors will take which means they will be paid once a settlement comes in. Now we would have to just work together to find a surgeon that would take a letter of protection but I am willing to help you. Having no insurance and in the critical health situation you are in surely there are some good surgeons out there that will work with us.

Sincerely,
Barb~

“Public Consultant”

Location hidden

#1656 Jan 10, 2011
Roberta V wrote:
<quoted text>
I really would appreciate the law firms that may be willing in Canada to represent Canadian women with the same issues as the American females on this board have with our legal system, etc. Class action appears the best way to address these issues is my understanding. I think we have to band together world wide as these corporations are selling their product to physicans to use world wide knowing full well that there are many many serious, long-lasting, life-time and life altering complications. Thanks for your time, expertise and any info that you can shed on this!!!! You are definitely appreciated.
Sincerely,
Roberta
(from British Columbia, Canada)
Roberta,
I truly agree and I am working day in and day out trying to find you a law firm that will take on your case.
Hang in there with me sweetheart!

Sincerely,
Barb~
mary

Boise, ID

#1657 Jan 10, 2011
all of this sounds so familiar to me too ... something needs to be done to get some compensation for the pain and suffering from this device..
I want my life back ...

Since: Jan 11

London, UK

#1658 Jan 11, 2011
aloha 1983,could you message me as I want to find out more details about recovery times. I have joined but not received acknowledgment yet. I am in London, my email is [email protected]
thanks
03249hmk

Meredith, NH

#1659 Jan 11, 2011
I had the TVT done on Oct 2006. I was hospitalized three days later with extreme pain and fever. Was told by docs just a coincidence, has nothing to do with the TVT. I have been sick for almost two years. High fevers 104.8+ 3x's last year. Was in Boston Medical Center for 6 days. Saw all kinds of doctors and had every test done under the sun. Still asked,"What about the tape?'Nope, can't be, must be some genetic disorder or rareinfectious disease. Really???? I feel so stupid! I finally found a urologist who said,"it's the tape!" Really???? Cycstoscopy on Friday and hopefully removal of the tape ASAP. Please let me know who the surgeon was in Boston in case the doc in New hampshire won't do it.
03249hmk

Meredith, NH

#1660 Jan 11, 2011
Hi Barb. Can you give me any info you might have of women in New Hampshire who have sought legal counsel? I know there is a time limit, si I want to be informed as soon as possible.

Heather
Annie

Temple, TX

#1661 Jan 11, 2011
Hello, its been a year since I wrote on this site. I had my pelvic floor reconstruction and bladder sling done just before Thanksgiving, November 2009. And for the next 8 weeks I had bladder infections, bleeding, horrible pain and was unable to have sex with my husband. And so In January of 2010, I was back in the hospital getting the mesh removed from around my bladder and then my Dr. built a sling with my own tissue.I injured my back and began going to physical therapy.one afternoon I was doing the "clam shells" laying on my side, knees up so that my legs are at a 90 degree angle and I am in excruciating pain lifting my right leg up and down, and the pain is in my low back, talibone and inside of my vagina. the therapist listened to me describe where the pain was, and brought back Deanna whose specialty is pelvic floor rehab.and from that point on, I began seeing a pelvic floor therapist one on one.a lot of biofeedback with an internal sensor to try to relax, a lot of pain with internal trigger point massage on the posterior vaginal wall and on my cervix as well.the mesh the Dr. used on the posterior wall to repair my rectocyle was so rigid, that no amount of stretching was going to help. And I have not been able to have sex with my husband for 14 months with out horrible pain, back pain and lower abdominal pain inside. I am being seen at a pain clinic for my ongoing pain and I see a counsler so I can cope with it better. It is hard on my husband because the woman he married was was a whole lot more active that the one he is with now. I agree with most of the ladies here, I wan't my life back. went to see my Dr.about the pelvic pain and so tomorrow is surgery #3 and he is removing the mesh, repairing the rectocyle, and using my own muscles and tissue to repair the wall, and I am having my cervix removed. Although I do have a back injury,my physical therapist and my dr.'s think that my pain is coming from the mesh and my cervix. once these are gone, and I heal they can now address the back pain issue and maybe I can come off of some of the medications I am on. It would be nice to just be able to live on muscle relaxers, tylenol and maybe the percocet when there is breakthrough pain. I would like to write again in January of 2012 that I am doing wonderful. I don't know what kind of mesh he used, I guess I could ask, but to sue my Dr.? I can't do that, he was using a new product that he believed to be helpful for his patients,there was no intent to knowingly cause harm to me. He has removed it when it was a problem the first time, and he did not argue with me 14 months later when I came to see him again to ask why I was still having issues. He has doen what he needs to do. Now to sue the companies that sell this stuff to Dr. yes they do need to be sued. so what do I do?
Laura

Jacksonville, NC

#1662 Jan 11, 2011
Renee wrote:
Lana,
I feel like perhaps you are doubting my story? I have indeed had the TVT surgery and then had the mesh removed... all my posts are true. I have named doctors, hospitals, locations and dates.
If you notice any common "thread" running through my posts, it is only my attempt to be fair to the women who have already had the surgery or those who have found this forum and are considering it, after researching ALL the different aspects of it.
Also, IMHO, it does no good to tell the women who have already had the surgery that they are doomed! How cruel is that!
And I do still believe that many women MUST have successful results because BOTH of the doctors who I have experience with (the doctor who did the TVT surgery and the doctor who removed the mesh) are physicians whose opinions I DO respect, and BOTH of them told me that "many women have excellent results" from this procedure.
That's all I know. I have no other "proof", no "studies", no "clinical trials"... just the words of two physicians in the field whom I admire. Maybe they're wrong? But maybe they are right? Who really knows? What I have stated in my posts is just my humble opinion and I have always tried to make that clear.
And regarding my husband and our sexual relationship, again, all that I have written is true. I never thought of it as "amazing"... but to be honest, it is typical of our relationship. We were married young and we have been together a long time... we have made a home, raised two children, and we are still deeply in love with one another.
These last few months post TVT (as it relates to our sex life) is only one VERY small bump in the road for us; in our grand scheme of things, frankly, it is not a *biggie* at all.
All that being said, pehaps I am (as you said) "untypical"... I generally like to think so! ;o)
Honestly, Lana, I feel rather discouraged and disappointed by your post. I don't like feeling that my posts are being scrutinized under a microscope for inconsistencies or whatever. If you would prefer I not post here anymore, just let me know.
And BTW, now I feel like I should explain that am actually on vacation right now, posting from my laptop, so perhaps that's why the location listed under my name changed. I have no idea! It's not even where I am.???! But it doesn't discount who I am or anything I have said.
I have read 17 pages and Lana pounces on people and does not seem helpful. You were normal and kind.
Some one who cares

Halifax, Canada

#1663 Jan 12, 2011
Lana has helped many people, myself included, I am from Canada. The point of the mattter is, mesh period is not good for anybodys body.Many women have proved that with their stories of how it has affected their lives. I guess when people dont listen to common sense, it gets frustrating, why would anybody even want to use it, why take the chance, our bodies are our temple of life. She is trying to represent all of us and to get this mesh of the market so it dosent try to harm anybody else. She has done alot of this on her own exspense. We women have to stick together, we all want one thing here, to get our lives back and to make sure the mesh dosent harm any more women, they are all our sisters. Like a car with a faulty part, pull it of the market. Its really not that hard to figure out. May God be with us all, to keep us focused on the issue through the pain the mesh has given us on the ups and downs of our attitudes. Thank you to all the women trying so hard to help each other, we need all of you together to get through this mess.Thank you God for answered prayer!
Laura

Jacksonville, NC

#1664 Jan 12, 2011
wisemom wrote:
Christine:
There is a Dr. Zimmern in Dallas, TX that can correct incontinence using your own body tissue. Do not have the mesh put it. Go to a highly skilled surgeon that can use your own tissue..this way you won't have any rejections or erosion. Remember..it is your body and your life...don't hesitate to fly/drive wherever you have to to get a good doctor. I had 3 years of pain and no physical sports or work of any kind without considerable pain,. not to mention issues with sexual relations. I am now recovering from having it removed and possible future surgeries b/c of mesh. Please don't even consider using mesh!!!
I have heard that the flesh being used to hold the bladder has your body rejecting problems
Anonymous

Dallas, TX

#1665 Jan 12, 2011
barb2000 wrote:
<quoted text>
When was your surgery? Since the FDA didn't send out the warning notice until 08, then it is possible to go by the first date of notice not date of surgery.
Please I hear what you are saying but if you don't do something NOW you will lose your rights to sue and that would be ashame to let that pass. There are Letters of Protection that some doctors will take which means they will be paid once a settlement comes in. Now we would have to just work together to find a surgeon that would take a letter of protection but I am willing to help you. Having no insurance and in the critical health situation you are in surely there are some good surgeons out there that will work with us.
Sincerely,
Barb~
barb, i want to know more about this im fixing to have a 3rd surgery with a different dr to redo my mesh its eroded and has cut thru my skin its infected and i have pelvic pain lower back pain and also bloated which im not sure if its related but it sure happened after the first surgery in august of 2008 i had a partial hysterectomy along with sui where they used the mesh for the sling but i do not know what kind of mesh, and then i still was not healing well from my bladder i was bleeding thru my vaginal and dr said it was going to take time prescribed some vaginal cream to put in daily to help the healing so i did not see her again until feb 2009 pretty much 6 months after i went bowling and then i could not urinate and had to go to ER they put a catheter in me and a week later when i got the appt she said they were going to have to redo my mesh march 2009. and i still have not healed. but had been busy having pelvic pain lower back pain and still bleeding light thru my vaginal finally made an appointment w/ my ob gyn and he said the mesh had eroded so he referred me to urologist(another one)so how can i proceed to see if i a case

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson and Johnson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gynecare tvt settelment Sep 27 Cindy Riley 1
News Transgender teenager Jazz Jennings signed to be... (Mar '15) Aug '17 TipsyFromCentralC... 4
Ethicon Suture Recall (Jun '09) Apr '17 Lika123 50
Poll Injured by Ethicon's Prolene Hernia/Bladder Mesh? (Jul '08) Apr '17 Denise Schrader 203
News N/R: Lack of mental, epileptic drugs hit health... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Humanspirit 1
Successful removal of TVT (Apr '11) Jan '17 Jackiedee 89
shampoo for over 40s (Apr '07) Aug '16 Vcb 17
More from around the web