lawsuit filed Gynecare TVT bladder su...
chefmom7

United States

#1026 Sep 10, 2009
I am trying to find a doctor who is willing to remove my mesh. I had the Gynecare 810041 used with the TVT procedure in 2003. I have had problem upon problem and the pain is now beyond excruciating. I am scheduled at University Hospitals in Cleveland for a "pain mapping" procedure. The doc said that if the mesh was the problem, he would take it out. This scares me. I have been to a uro-gyn at Cleveland Clinic, but he didn't think the mesh was the problem. I KNOW the mesh is problem. I want it OUT. Any information is appreciated.
Suzanne McClain

Starkville, MS

#1027 Sep 10, 2009
Hi Becky,

I am so happy for you. I have read articles by Dr. Zimmern, et al and I have faith in him as well. Good luck to you and God Speed with the healing process.

Best,

Suzanne
Becky wrote:
God must be taking care of all this mess with which doctor I should see as I got a call from Dr. Zimmern's nurse about an hour ago and she said she saw my upcoming appt which was in November (I had thought it was Oct) and thought I may need to be looked at sooner because of the mesh and how awful Dr Zimmern knows it can be, so she bumped my appt up to Sept 17th! I think it must be a sign that this is the doctor I should be seeing!

Since: Mar 08

Huntington, WV

#1029 Sep 11, 2009
I posted yesterday. I spoke with my "pain mapping" doctor at University Hospitals in Cleveland. I don't think he believes it is the mesh. I called his office today to let them know I'm in incredible pain. He wanted to just put me back on Topomax. Yuck. I need to find a doctor who will remove this mesh from me. I want it OUT.

Also, it shows that I am in Toronto, Canada beside my name? I am not. I am in the Huntington, WV area.
Joy Stawarz

Clifton Hill, Australia

#1030 Sep 11, 2009
Whow I'm in Perth Western Australia and I have been though hell and I mean hell for the past 20 months. Got a bladder op in 1998 then again in 2002. Got infection and infection in 2008 then got some tape removed only to find the infections and the poking just came back. The doctors talked to me as if I was mad even told me I imagined the tape that it was only a stitch gone bad. I couldn't beleive this type of cover up goes on I thought it was only only tele. I have no idea what has been happening cause no one tells me. I have had depressions and pain for ages and it has cost me thousands and absolutely wrecked my quality of life. I dumped my urologist and found a woman urologist who seems to know what is happening as if she has run into it before. I get a flexible cystophry next week please if anyone can help and give me info to give the urologist email me I'm desperate to get my life back ta Joy [email protected]
Lorena In Oregon

United States

#1031 Sep 11, 2009
ChefMom7,
I had an Avaulta installed for a hysteretomy and also had a bladder and rectum lift in 3/07. Since then I've had severe chronic pain and have looked into everything to try to solve it. I've had almost all of it removed, but I can't say I feel any better and one operation was extensive, leaving me in the hospital for a week and a permanent scar all the way down my stomach. I don't necessarily think getting it out always helps, especially when you've had it for so long. My surgeon was and is great though. The one who removed it isn't the same who installed it. If you'd like to look her up her name is Connie DiMarco. She works in Springfield, Oregon and is a ob/urologist/surgeon. Good luck.
Lyndsey

Mauldin, SC

#1032 Sep 11, 2009
elizabeth wrote:
i had a tvt 4 years ago and a hysterecty and a repair all done at the same time i got a bladder infection and was in terrible pain for 4 days and 4 nights i wanted to die i felt so bad i really lost it in hospital and in the end they found the right antibiotic and as soon as i had taken 1 tablet i began to feel better now after 4 years have passed i now feel my bladder is coming down and i can see the white tape when i hold a mirrow and look so i know it is down i am so scared to go back to the hospital what can they do the surgeon said 4 years ago that he could not do the same repair again the next time it would b more extensive can any one advise me contact me at oreilly859.internet.com
Elizabeth - do you need to have something done? Are you in pain or can't urinate? A presserary could be used to help support. There are always options you just need to find a good Doctor. I found out today that I have a friend actually considering removal of her bladder. Find a Doctor that is as interested in getting you better as you are. It can be hard work, but your health is worth it. God Speed.
Becky

Denton, TX

#1033 Sep 11, 2009
Thank you Suzanne!
chefmom7

United States

#1034 Sep 12, 2009
Thanks, Lorena!
Oregon is probably a tad too far, but I'm almost to that point I would go.:) I'm so glad that you found this doctor.
Suzanne McClain

Starkville, MS

#1035 Sep 13, 2009
Chef Mom,

You may want to give Dr. Richard Miller a call to request a consult. He is in Nashville and only 300 or so miles from you. I have heard good things about him.

If you want his contact info, please feel free to contact me at:

[email protected]

Take care and good luck!

Suzanne
chefmom7 wrote:
I posted yesterday. I spoke with my "pain mapping" doctor at University Hospitals in Cleveland. I don't think he believes it is the mesh. I called his office today to let them know I'm in incredible pain. He wanted to just put me back on Topomax. Yuck. I need to find a doctor who will remove this mesh from me. I want it OUT.
Also, it shows that I am in Toronto, Canada beside my name? I am not. I am in the Huntington, WV area.
Cindy Chambers

Union, NJ

#1036 Sep 15, 2009
Back in 1997 I had an Incisionless Pubovaginal Fascial Sling procedure done by a local uroligist. After the 6 week recovery period, it seemed to be very successful and I had no problems for many years.

A few years ago, I started getting recurring urinary tract infections with blood in urine. Some of these infections were very resistant to antibiotics. Some lasted 1, 2, 3 months until tests would show them gone.

In June of this year, I visited my local hospital ER in excruciating pain and fever. Again I was diagnosed with a severe UTI, possibly involving my kidneys. This infection lasted the longest of any I have had and they are still not sure if it is gone.

At the advice of my family doctor, I returned to the urology practice that did the procedure. They ordered a CT scan with contrast which showed nothing. The urologist then did a cystoscopy and while doing told me that he had found one of the sutures had corroded thru the bladder wall. He cut the suture off at the bladder wall and proceeded to show me a 3-4”piece of bright blue wire. I am assuming this is the suture.

He told me I should start to feel better because this was actually a foreign body in my bladder.

I am to return for another cystoscopy on 8/24/09 so he can see how the bladder wall healed.

Should I assume that everything with my sling is still in tact?

I have no idea what type of material was used and don’t know where to even start to find out.

I have missed a lot of work in the past 6 months causing my employer to lay me off with no chance of recall.

I now have nothing but time on my hands and am only doing what the urologisrt is advising me to.

Should I be doing more than I am doing? I just know that I am feeling real ill a lot of the time with fevers, pain in bladder and flank area and now recurring multiple skin infections/abscesses many of them in the groin and low abdomen areas (not sure if the last here is related)

Any words or advice that anyone has for me is greatly appreciated as I feel at this time, I should be doing more to help myself feel better.

My email is [email protected]

Thank you
lily Marie

Syracuse, NY

#1038 Sep 15, 2009
Is there anyone here that has had good luck with the mesh sling? is it all bad? i am due to have surgery for prolapse on the 1st of October. and my Doctor thinks i should have a hysterectomy also. this thread is making me very nervous. it is so close. i go to the hospital on Thursday for my pre-op. i tried the pessary but it made me leak. but it looks like my problems could be a whole lot worse' anyone with any advice . it would be very appreciated.
Becky

Denton, TX

#1039 Sep 15, 2009
My advice is Don't Do It!!!
lily Marie wrote:
Is there anyone here that has had good luck with the mesh sling? is it all bad? i am due to have surgery for prolapse on the 1st of October. and my Doctor thinks i should have a hysterectomy also. this thread is making me very nervous. it is so close. i go to the hospital on Thursday for my pre-op. i tried the pessary but it made me leak. but it looks like my problems could be a whole lot worse' anyone with any advice . it would be very appreciated.
Lyndsey

Mauldin, SC

#1040 Sep 15, 2009
Cindy - I am so sorry that you have been so sick and that it has taken so long for someone to realize what was happening. The sling material is likely to erode into the bladder again. Some people that have posted here are treating this conservatively by having the pieces removed as it erodes and others have had the material removed all at once. I suggest that you seek a second and third opinion. Consider seeing a urogynecologist. Good luck.
Cindy Chambers wrote:
Back in 1997 I had an Incisionless Pubovaginal Fascial Sling procedure done by a local uroligist. After the 6 week recovery period, it seemed to be very successful and I had no problems for many years.
A few years ago, I started getting recurring urinary tract infections with blood in urine. Some of these infections were very resistant to antibiotics. Some lasted 1, 2, 3 months until tests would show them gone.
In June of this year, I visited my local hospital ER in excruciating pain and fever. Again I was diagnosed with a severe UTI, possibly involving my kidneys. This infection lasted the longest of any I have had and they are still not sure if it is gone.
At the advice of my family doctor, I returned to the urology practice that did the procedure. They ordered a CT scan with contrast which showed nothing. The urologist then did a cystoscopy and while doing told me that he had found one of the sutures had corroded thru the bladder wall. He cut the suture off at the bladder wall and proceeded to show me a 3-4”piece of bright blue wire. I am assuming this is the suture.
He told me I should start to feel better because this was actually a foreign body in my bladder.
I am to return for another cystoscopy on 8/24/09 so he can see how the bladder wall healed.
Should I assume that everything with my sling is still in tact?
I have no idea what type of material was used and don’t know where to even start to find out.
I have missed a lot of work in the past 6 months causing my employer to lay me off with no chance of recall.
I now have nothing but time on my hands and am only doing what the urologisrt is advising me to.
Should I be doing more than I am doing? I just know that I am feeling real ill a lot of the time with fevers, pain in bladder and flank area and now recurring multiple skin infections/abscesses many of them in the groin and low abdomen areas (not sure if the last here is related)
Any words or advice that anyone has for me is greatly appreciated as I feel at this time, I should be doing more to help myself feel better.
My email is [email protected]
Thank you
lily Marie

Syracuse, NY

#1041 Sep 16, 2009
Becky wrote:
My advice is Don't Do It!!!
<quoted text>
Thank you Becky, i have been rethinking my surgery after reading this thread. it is very frightening to hear the things that can happen. It makes one wonder why Doctors will keep doing these surgeries, when they know of all of the dangers involved. I am making my calls to cancel out all of the surgeries...i just do not know what to do about my prolapse, i heard it gets worse if you do nothing.. but if i do the surgeries i am most likely to get much worse. thank you again

Since: Mar 08

Huntington, WV

#1042 Sep 16, 2009
lily Marie wrote:
My advice: Don't do it!!!! Don't put this evil, wretched stuff in your body!!! There are other methods...find another doctor.
Mari

Bryanston, South Africa

#1043 Sep 16, 2009
I agree 100% with chefmom7 !!! Dont do it...I am recovering from an operation to remove the mesh four weeks ago. My doctor could only remove a couple of sentimeters as the rest of the mesh is impossible to remove ...he also found a huge cist between the mesh and the bladder which had to be drained ......I have been through hell these past four months and I am still not well nor painfree...dont insert this monster.....please find another method !!! Good luck & may God bless and help you !!!( If you need more info regarding my condition read my previous posts..before the op )
lily Marie

Syracuse, NY

#1044 Sep 16, 2009
Thank you chefmom7 and Mari. I am so glad that i found this thread. right now i am waiting for a call back from my Doctors office. i am going to cancel the surgery. i wish you girls a lot of luck and i will remember you in my prayers. I would check out the legal aspect of these surgeries. they should not be allowed. it certainly sounds like they ruin lives and give a lot of pain and suffering. i will go back and read your post. thank you again.

Since: Sep 09

Union, NJ

#1045 Sep 16, 2009
Thank you Lyndsey for the good advice. I am searching my area for a urogynecoligist for a second opinion. I have also called a lawyer for advice on whether I should continue to see the urologist I am seeing which is the same practice that did the original procedure in the 1990's.
Do you know if anyone has had any successful lawsuits filed and won over this procedure and materials used. Some of my family members want me to look into this as they seen the pain and turmoil I am suffering,

Thanks again and take care.
Lyndsey wrote:
Cindy - I am so sorry that you have so sick and that it has taken so long for someone to realize what was happening. The sling material is likely to erode into the bladder again. Some people that have posted here are treating this conservatively by having the pieces removed as it erodes and others have had the material removed all at once. I suggest that you seek a second and third opinion. Consider seeing a urogynecologist. Good luck. <quoted text>
Suzanne McClain

Starkville, MS

#1046 Sep 16, 2009
Lily Marie,

I agree wholeheartedly with Cindy. Please don't allow this garbage to be put in your body. Seek another doctor willing to use you own biological materials to correct your prolapse issues. Mesh is dangerous, and it should be outlawed.

Go to the injury board website and read the 4 part series of articles "Suffering in Silence from a Medical Device" This entire series deals with bladder mesh and is my story written by the editor of the Injury Board, Ms. Jane Akre. Ms. Akre is a former CNN and Fox News Reporter.

If you need more information on how to locate this website, or any other assistance, please feel free to contact me.

I wish you the best!

Suzanne
[email protected]
lily Marie wrote:
lily Marie

Syracuse, NY

#1047 Sep 17, 2009
Suzanne McClain wrote:
Lily Marie,
I agree wholeheartedly with Cindy. Please don't allow this garbage to be put in your body. Seek another doctor willing to use you own biological materials to correct your prolapse issues. Mesh is dangerous, and it should be outlawed.
Go to the injury board website and read the 4 part series of articles "Suffering in Silence from a Medical Device" This entire series deals with bladder mesh and is my story written by the editor of the Injury Board, Ms. Jane Akre. Ms. Akre is a former CNN and Fox News Reporter.
If you need more information on how to locate this website, or any other assistance, please feel free to contact me.
I wish you the best!
Suzanne
[email protected]
<quoted text>
Suzanne, what a wonderful and informative site. i started reading it and i could not tear myself away. there is still so much to read. I want to thank you so much.
I was so ready to have the mesh sling. i was told it was safe and 95% perfected. everything was so frightening to me.. the prolapse happened so suddenly, but i had been noticing symptoms earlier and thought it was a kidney infection, so when i heard there was relief from the prolapse i said get it done as soon as possible i did not do any research at all. Then i found this thread and then it seemed everything was going too fast. the pre-op day actually would have been today, and the surgery Oct1st. somehow i felt it may have been too late. but anyone that is following the course for this surgery remember it is never to late, to cancel before you get the surgery even the morning of.
Everyone on this thread has been so helpful . reading your comments and your experiences, made me rethink my decisions. today it feels like a big weight has been lifted. thank you all so much.
I especially want to thank the women that responded to me and to you Suzanne, for directing me to the site, with all of the informative info.
My prayers go to each and everyone of you.
Now i will do the research for the surgery that will use my tissue for the reconstruct.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson and Johnson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Injured by Ethicon's Prolene Hernia/Bladder Mesh? (Jul '08) Apr 21 Denise Schrader 208
News N/R: Lack of mental, epileptic drugs hit health... Mar '17 Humanspirit 1
Successful removal of TVT (Apr '11) Jan '17 Jackiedee 89
shampoo for over 40s (Apr '07) Aug '16 Vcb 17
News Johnson & Johnson to cut about 3,000 jobs (Jan '16) Aug '16 Dirk 2
News DePuy ASR Hip Lawsuit Update: Federal ASR Hip L... (Jul '13) Aug '16 Dirk 2
News Report cites untapped solar power potential of ... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Solarman 1
More from around the web