lawsuit filed Gynecare TVT bladder su...

“BEWARE- DOCTOR'S PUSHING MESH!”

Since: Apr 09

Maben, MS

#841 Apr 18, 2009
Becky TX,

I am so sorry to hear of the ordeal you are going through. I looked up Prefyx on the MAUDE Database, and found 37 adverse events so far. It sounds like you should be number 38, unless you have already filed an adverse event report.

Was the brand of the Transobturator Tape, Mentor?

Please email me and I will try to help you research the products implanted in you, and give you emotional support through this ordeal.

I too was sorry to hear of your Mother's passing. I think she must have been a great support to you.

My email address is: aunt_sanner@yahoo.com

Best ~ Suzanne
BeckyTX

Coppell, TX

#842 Apr 18, 2009
Thank you for your response! Suzanne, I sent you an email about the brand that was used. I'm not quite sure how to fill out the info on Maude. Lyndsy, thank you for your information. I am looking into just getting a policy for me. I have found some through Blue Cross Blue Shield online that seem okay. This is such a mess!

Since: Oct 07

Miami, Florida

#843 Apr 20, 2009
Hello Becky in TX,
Your doctor should not base your medical care on whether or not you have health insurance. Knowing the complications you suffer from a surgical procedure he performed on you, he really should have helped you to find financial help to get the treatment you need.
Many hospitals and organizations have foundations attached to them that will help you, even if you are not indigent. I myself went through a program at the Cleveland Clinic Weston, Florida to help me pay for some of the procedures I had to remove mesh. Under their program you can make 4 times the poverty level and they give you assistance.
Your doctor's treatment of you is appalling. I do hope you will search for another doctor who really believes in the Hippocratic Oath.
I started this blog August 12, 2007 during my lawsuit against Gynecare/Ethicon/Johnson & Johnson.
Since that time, I also started Medical Mesh, a yahoo health group. Link below.
http :// health. groups. yahoo. com/ group/ medicalmesh
There are over a hundred members. We actively support each other finding solutions to the complications of surgical mesh. We share names of doctors who have successfully removed mesh and give each other tremendous moral and spiritual.
Please go to the link and ask to join. It is a membership only group. Anyone reading this with problems of mesh is welcome to do the same.
I also founded Truth in Medicine, a not for profit to stop the use of synthetic surgical mesh in human beings. www. truthinmedicine. us. com
Our mission statement follows:
"Truth in Medicine" is a patientís advocate organization working to stop the surgical implantation of all petroleum-based synthetic medical/surgical meshes in human beings.
I. Congress will be asked to pass legislation to change All Surgical Consent Forms in regard to Medical Devices/Foreign Bodies if one is used. The following would be a separate consent form provided to the patient 3 days prior to surgery:
a. name of ANY medical device/foreign body that is being implanted
b. FDA approval process of the medical device/foreign body [the 510(k)
Premarket Notification Process, where no human clinical trials
are required, or Premarket Approval, where they actually do clinical
trials]
c. if clinical trials were conducted, what the results of the clinical trials were
d. all known risks and complications
II. An adverse event report would be provided to each and every patient who has a medical device/foreign body implanted with their discharge papers. Complications could be immediately reported to the FDA by patients. The doctor, the hospital and the pharmaceutical company would no longer control the flow of information.
III. Congress will be asked to create a Superfund to care for Medical/Surgical Mesh victims by imposing a tax against all pharmaceutical companies. Pharmaceutical companies will be held responsible for the ongoing pollution of humans, just as the Chemical and Petroleum companies are held responsible for the pollution of the environment.
It is a long road to make these changes but myself and so many other mesh sufferers are very focused and extremely dedicated to making these changes happen.
Becky....there is help out there. This blog is your start to finding real solutions to your major health issues. Join us at Medical Mesh.
blessings, Lana
Lana Keeton
P.O. Box 402494
Miami Beach, FL 33140
miamiblog@ bellsouth. net
Denise

London, UK

#844 Apr 22, 2009
Hi everyone, i had TVT surgery three wks ago and have been suffering with really bad lower back pain ever since, it feels like a burning sensation, i also feel very uncomfortable, hard to explain, its like i can feel the tape inside me, it has helped with my incontinence but im beginning to wonder at what cost, just hoping and praying it is going to get better, if not i will be taking action to have it loosened or removed. its a mans world.

Havent heard anyone else mention back pain so im trying to rule out TVT as source of my problem
BeckyTX

Coppell, TX

#845 Apr 22, 2009
Thank you Lana for all the information! My head is still spinning from all the information I've recieved the last few days and trying to focus on what to do first. What I really want is just to get this out of me! I am looking forward to getting on the Medical Mesh blog! Thanks again and I will be posting any updates I have.
God Bless You and everyone on this forum.

UK

#846 Apr 22, 2009
Denise wrote:
Hi everyone, i had TVT surgery three wks ago and have been suffering with really bad lower back pain ever since, it feels like a burning sensation, i also feel very uncomfortable, hard to explain, its like i can feel the tape inside me, it has helped with my incontinence but im beginning to wonder at what cost, just hoping and praying it is going to get better, if not i will be taking action to have it loosened or removed. its a mans world.
Havent heard anyone else mention back pain so im trying to rule out TVT as source of my problem
denise i had and still have back pain and severe leg pain and cramps in the calves plus other numerous complications could you please sign up to the email petition on the number 10 downing st website teresa hughes tvtslingmisery under health and well being. regards teresa
Jaye

AOL

#847 Apr 22, 2009
Many of you have mentioned that the arms or ends of the TVT tape were left in after surgery to remove the part that went around the urethra. In a phone convo with my surgeon told me he did same. And, as I've heard others mention, that to remove these parts would require a very delicate and painful operation with no guarantee of pain relief. Is there anyone here who has had the ends removed and if so, what was the outcome? I can feel them when I walk or sit or bend over and I'm scared silly wondering where they might migrate to.
I, too, have had the bloated feeling and gained weight since surgery. Also pain and numbness in the area around my tailbone, lower buttocks and in between my thighs, which makes sitting or walking a nightmare. The doctors told me the pain was from spinal stenosis or all in my head. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone nor delusional.
ali

Leicester, UK

#848 Apr 23, 2009
Denise wrote:
Hi everyone, i had TVT
surgery three wks ago and have been suffering with really bad lower back pain ever since, it feels like a burning sensation, i also feel very uncomfortable, hard to explain, its like i can feel the tape inside me, it has helped with my incontinence but im beginning to wonder at what cost, just hoping and praying it is going to get better, if not i will be taking action to have it loosened or removed. its a mans world.
hi denise
i had surgery done 9 weeks ago i got tvt tape done and also a anterior repair done . im still very confussed about my symptoms. but yes i thought i could feel the mesh too .It has settled but now and again i can still feel it . Back pain does not seem to be bad with me but they do have you in all posstions in surgery so maybe your back is sore from that my legs were so sore for weeks . my incontience has gone but i still find it hard to pass urine its either stinging and the flow is so so slow even sometimes the urine hessitates . im not to happy with this . but touch wood im so lucky copared to all these other woman that are extremly suffering .
thersea i have signed 10 downing street they sent me an email to click on to confirm but the link wont let me click on it so i manual typed it in and would not except , but i will keep tring
take care ali x

Maben, MS

#849 Apr 23, 2009
All Mesh Victims,

Please go to the Injury Board and read the following three articles:

1.) Medical Device Division of FDA Broke, Needs Fixing

2.) Suffering In Silence From A Medical Device - Surgical Mesh (Part 1)

3.) Suffering in Silence From A Medical Device - Surgical Mesh (Part 2)

Articles 2 and 3 can be found within the blue box in the first article entitled "Learn More."

These articles are important to mesh victims, AND the public in general, and comments need to be posted to ALL THREE ARTICLES!

Please make these comments to let the media and the government know that we are serious about pursuing changes to the way the FDA approves medical devices that are implanted in ones body, with no clinical trials being required, and getting surgical mesh off the market completely!

These articles do not pertain only to mesh victims, but to everyone. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A MESH VICTIM TO MAKE COMMENTS. PLEASE, SHARE THESE ARTICLES WITH EVERYONE YOU KNOW, AND ASK THAT THEY TO READ AND POST COMMENTS.

This is critical to our common goal.

If you cannot locate the Injury Board through your web browser, please email me and I will send you the direct link!

aunt_sanner@yahoo.com

Respectfully yours,

Suzanne McClain

UK

#850 Apr 23, 2009
ali wrote:
<quoted text>
hi denise
i had surgery done 9 weeks ago i got tvt tape done and also a anterior repair done . im still very confussed about my symptoms. but yes i thought i could feel the mesh too .It has settled but now and again i can still feel it . Back pain does not seem to be bad with me but they do have you in all posstions in surgery so maybe your back is sore from that my legs were so sore for weeks . my incontience has gone but i still find it hard to pass urine its either stinging and the flow is so so slow even sometimes the urine hessitates . im not to happy with this . but touch wood im so lucky copared to all these other woman that are extremly suffering .
thersea i have signed 10 downing street they sent me an email to click on to confirm but the link wont let me click on it so i manual typed it in and would not except , but i will keep tring
take care ali x
ali here is my email address teresa@thughes51.wanadoo.co.uk this is for you and anyone else in the united kingdom who wishes to contact me about the petition on the number 10 downing st website under health and well being
teresa hughes tvtslingmisery. we need to get as many names on this petition so inform friends and family and collegaues to sign up if possible.

if the link does not work for any reason please inform me at my email address above and i will contact the downing street web team.
regards teresa
lyn

Dundee, UK

#851 Apr 24, 2009
jaye i had surgery before christmas partial removal,well it was to remove from around urethra and abdonimally to cut away at tape on right hand side.both gyno and urologist performed op.guess what tape removed around urethra and the tape cannot be found low right hand side!!!gyno or urologist just cant explain what has happened to it,honestly its a nightmare.i was told that i had had major surgery.i had mri scan a little while ago as i am still having awful problems,very similar to you ali,i am so uncomfortable all the time.i worry sick as to what has happened to it,no attempt was made to remove left hand side.even if they did they might not find it!,how in the hell can a surgeon put this in and it goes missing.we dont know is the answer.i am sure all the months of suffering pain etc has left permanent damage.i have to return for results of scan and cystoscopy in the near future i was told it would be very doubtfull if the mri will pick anything up as it was put in behind the pubic bone.what a carry on.so its no surprise they say they will leave the ends in place. my thoughts are with you all.carry on with good work re petition teresa.6568
Jaye

AOL

#852 Apr 25, 2009
Lyn...
I am so sorry for all your pain and suffering. I can not believe that this mesh can travel so far as to not be any where near its original area of placement. This really gives me reason for the anxiety I'm feeling. At this time I can feel a tampon sized object in the crease of my left leg but can't feel anything on the right. More and more though, I am having pain on the right side. Most recently I felt a knife-like stabbing pain on the right side of the urethra when walking. It stopped me cold. My first thought was that the tape end had migrated back to the urethra and was going to finish what it had started - sawing the urethra in half. I may be right, who knows, but I'll never get any doctor to understand or acknowledge that it could very well be migrating mesh that is the cause of pain, numbness and tingling...May the higher powers that be help us all.

Maben, MS

#853 Apr 25, 2009
Hi Jaye,

I think many of us have a tremendous amount of anxiety over migrating mesh. I have often wondered, if this stuff can migrate, disappear somewhere with our bodies, and is difficult to see with an MRI or a CT Scan, what's to prevent it from adhering to our lungs, heart, etc...

I often have pain in both the upper and lower abdomen, and wonder if this is because the mesh is migrating. It is a very strange feeling. I too have a real tightness in the chest, but I am fairly certain that this is due to the stress and anxiety that I feel because of the situation I am now in.

I am so sorry to hear of the pain you have described, and you are so right that it is hard to find a doctor who will acknowledge that it is the mesh. By doing so, he/she would almost be pointing a finger at one of his/her colleagues. They follow more along the path of don't ask, don't tell, and in doing so they cover each others backs, all while steadily pushing these mesh products on unsuspecting human beings who are becoming part of a clinical trial that they didn't sign up for.

One lady on another site eloquently put it something like this:

Our civilized society has some nerve criticizing third world countries for mutilating women in the ritual of their tradition, yet we are being mutilated in the name of profit. What's the difference?

This is a loose rendition of her words, but had a tremendous impact on me.

I hope that we all find inner peace while dealing with this entire process, and that we all find the justice that is rightfully due us.

My doctor pegged me right, in his response to the Medical Board in reference to a letter I had sent his office,(and copied to the Med Board) he said I was an angry woman.

This "wonderful" device that he so "highly recommended" knowing,(or at least he should have known and disclosed) that no clinical trials had been performed, and that 664 adverse events were on file with the FDA on their MAUDE Database at the time of my surgery in 2004 against this company, and the company they acquired the device from, left me mutilated inside. I am appalled by his callous response. He knows what he and this device did to me. So yes, I am an angry woman, and rightfully so. We all should be.

I wish you, and everyone else posting here the very best in dealing with the demons we now face in the name of continence.
Jaye

AOL

#854 Apr 26, 2009
I've read about the women in other countries that are mutilated in the name of religion or belief that she won't stray from the marriage bed. While that is a horrifying and demeaning way to treat females at least it's not done for the almighty dollar. That, to me, is criminal.

By allowing mesh to remain on the market doctors and pharmaceutical companies are legalizing mutilation. They are creating a landfill of human horror and suffering, not to mention taxing an already overburdened medical system with problems it can't solve.

If less people spent less money on medical insurance, drugs and therapies to treat this hideous mesh, that should never have been used in the first place, there might be more money in the economy instead of in a Pharmaceutical CEO's bank account.

Suzanne, while my doctor never called me an "angry woman" I certainly am. I am angry that the doctor and J&J used me as a test subject with out my knowledge or consent. I'm angry that my quality of life is almost zero. I'm angry about the pitying looks I get as I drag myself around, first with cane, then needing to use the electric carts in stores. I'm angry that I can't walk, that I can't sit or stand normally. I'm angry for needing narcotics to exsist. I'm angry that I have lost my selfworth and usefulness. But what I'm most angry for is that this doctor goes home to a lovely house, drives a fancy car, laughs, loves and enjoys life with no thought to what has been done to me and possibly others by their hand.

My brain hurts. I'm tired of the fight and mine's only a year old. The thought of being like this for the rest of my days is excruciating to say the least. The doctor wrote on my medical record, "The patient has accepted her new circumstances and is adapting," almost a year ago. So many things that doctor was wrong about.
Suzanne

Canal Winchester, OH

#855 Apr 26, 2009
Hi Jaye, I am appalled at your physician for writing such careless comments about your health crisis! I cannot get mine to comment at all. Are you able to sue him? Your condition is much worse than mine, I had my eroded mesh removed last week and am still in pain. My daughter tried to get me to go to the er last night, but I am waiting on the office to open and just be there so dr has to face me. What actions have you taken so far? How did you get him to still keep treating you?
Jaye

AOL

#856 Apr 26, 2009
Suzanne wrote:
Hi Jaye, I am appalled at your physician for writing such careless comments about your health crisis! I cannot get mine to comment at all. Are you able to sue him? Your condition is much worse than mine, I had my eroded mesh removed last week and am still in pain. My daughter tried to get me to go to the er last night, but I am waiting on the office to open and just be there so dr has to face me. What actions have you taken so far? How did you get him to still keep treating you?
Suzanne...

I'm sorry for all the pain you're going thru but anyone who has gone thru the monster mesh has it bad. Each person deals with it in their own way and each feels it differently. What pains me may not be too bothersome to another. What I'm experiencing now is after the partial removal. That was in May 08. Almost a year and it's getting worse and this is what makes me think migration is in progress.

As for the doctor who performed the initial surgery, the last time we spoke was June last year. I was pawned off to another doc within the HMO because the first one thought I was nuts, was the first to have problems after TVT-O, couldn't possibly be the mesh, it was something I did to cause the pain, previous undiagnosed back problem, blah blah blah .. you know the story.

I lost what little insurance I had(along with my job) so I can no longer go to the HMO. Gotta tell ya, the indigent program doctor I am seeing now has more compassion than all of the HMO docs I've seen over the years. Sad, huh?

I am finding that to get proper treatment from a doctor these days you almost have to have a medical degree and a law degree won't hurt either when dealing with lawyers. I'm currently working on that law degree .. LOL
Suzanne

Canal Winchester, OH

#857 Apr 27, 2009
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am so upset this morning again. I have had infection and pain all weekend. I called the dr's office requesting to be seen and cannot get an appt until 4 days away and that was after arguing I wasn't going to wait for 2 weeks! I called my surgeons office and his nurse said I am getting horrible pt care and to request to talk to the dr personally and tell him SHE said to see me as he is responsible for my follow-up care and the surgeon will call this afternoon. Can you believe it? They have no compassion or understanding or concern about malpractice either.
I'm sure many women on this site, including you, have been through this before. So here I go back to the hospital for more medicine and then home to go back to bed. What a wonderful life.
MOM1965

Bathurst, Canada

#858 Apr 27, 2009
Suzanne wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am so upset this morning again. I have had infection and pain all weekend. I called the dr's office requesting to be seen and cannot get an appt until 4 days away and that was after arguing I wasn't going to wait for 2 weeks! I called my surgeons office and his nurse said I am getting horrible pt care and to request to talk to the dr personally and tell him SHE said to see me as he is responsible for my follow-up care and the surgeon will call this afternoon. Can you believe it? They have no compassion or understanding or concern about malpractice either.
I'm sure many women on this site, including you, have been through this before. So here I go back to the hospital for more medicine and then home to go back to bed. What a wonderful life.
I KNOW ONLY TO WELL HOW YOU FEEL,I am so pissed with this mesh mess!!!!I am in so much pain all the time and have been for almost 2 years,partial removals nerve injections and now got to go to day surgery for yet more scopes,violated to say the least.not looking forward to this,and now since I had a ablasion the same time as the mesh the dr thinks that I have a lot of scared tissue forming in my uterious ,problems beond problems!!!!! take care ,,,mom1965
barb1

Chesterton, IN

#859 Apr 27, 2009
I had the posterior Gynacare mesh op about 4 weeks ago and the worst thing so far are the exterior stitches in my lower derrier which are securing the
"legs" of the mesh. In finding and reading this site, most all of the complaints are from the anterior? bladder repairs, etc.(hope I am saying the right words)
My question is for the posterior: How long before
I can get back to doing regular activity again. What has your experience been??
By the way, my GYN would not do the anterior because he said there was too much rejection.

Thanks for any help. And Good Luck to all of you!
Suzanne

Mississippi State, MS

#860 Apr 28, 2009
Barb1

Kudos to your GYN!!! I wish I had information for you, but unfortunately, I know nothing of the posterior repairs. I would be concerned though if this is a mesh product, which I suspect it is. Keep close tabs on it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Johnson and Johnson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jury Orders J&J to Pay $37 Million in Talcum Po... Apr 9 Cousin if 1
Ethicon Suture Recall (Jun '09) Mar '18 Lisa2013 53
Gynecare tvt settelment (Sep '17) Sep '17 Cindy Riley 1
News Transgender teenager Jazz Jennings signed to be... (Mar '15) Aug '17 TipsyFromCentralC... 4
Poll Injured by Ethicon's Prolene Hernia/Bladder Mesh? (Jul '08) Apr '17 Denise Schrader 203
News N/R: Lack of mental, epileptic drugs hit health... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Humanspirit 1
Successful removal of TVT (Apr '11) Jan '17 Jackiedee 89