Raise prices and then put it on sale

Raise prices and then put it on sale

Posted in the JC Penney Forum

Gary

Maryville, TN

#1 Mar 18, 2013
I saw a gold chain last week for $125. Then saw a jewelry sale with 20% off starting today. My chain will be $100. Wrong!! My chain is now $145 with 20% off or $116. So the prices went up and then on sale.
Anony mouse

Lexington, MA

#2 Mar 18, 2013
Why does that surprise you? Customers wanted their "sales" back. For any sale, prices are jacked up & then offered at a percentage off!(not to mention the high price of precious metals) Savings not so great...but the average bonehead JCP customer wanted their "sales & coupons" back. Now that you've got them...ENJOY!!!!
kaley

Carson, CA

#3 Mar 19, 2013
So it seems sales and coupons are coming back, with a very small detail that prices are more likely going to go up. A few things have gone up already. A very interesting thing happened this past weekend they had a coupon going on with no limit on how many times you could use it.
janet

Kirkland, IL

#4 Mar 19, 2013
Its called desparation kathy......
Anony mouse

Lexington, MA

#5 Mar 19, 2013
Sorry, guys...that is & always was a standard rule of retail IN ANY STORE...you want coupons & sales...then base prices WILL increase slightly.(Except clearance which is always old merchandise or manufacturers closeouts). You can't have your cake & eat it too. Retailers have to TRY to make a profit...even ones run by morons like Ron Johnson.
Former jcp employee

Arden, NC

#7 Mar 22, 2013
So now they're going to have coupons and sales again. And just how are they going to keep up with re-marking the tags and signs since they did away with the pricing team team last year when they went to everyday prices? If you have coupons and sales you are constantly (daily) marking up and marking down. Who's going to do that work? Everyday pricing was an admirable idea to provide an honest pricing structure. But it didn't work because customers customers want to think they're getting a deal via sales and coupons. It might have worked at least a little better if they'd told the whole story and admitted what everyone who has ever worked in retail knows - that customers get only a very small discount, if any, from a 'sale' because prices are always marked up before the sale starts - often just the day before. Instead they hinted around the issue and most customers didn't understand. The reality is that the only truly discounted prices are those clearly identified as "clearance" when last season's products are often actually "on sale" without having been marked up and then marked down.
bob haller

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 Mar 22, 2013
Hopefully sales will continue to drop.

This would be a GREAT thing for the workers.

Ackman Ron & cronies would realize as long as they are in charge there will be NO RECOVERY.

Like rats deserting a sinking ship they will bail, and hopefully some new management can get penneys back in business.

Customers eeing this ultra fail management have left and may return.

There are indications sales are still droping. They KNOW they have failed:)

Its time to give someone else a try before penneys has no choice but liquidate:(

This has been such a disaster it makes me wonder if it was intentional in some way? Lets say a foreign retailer wanted to come to the US? But needed prime affordable locations.

So manage JCP so it FAILS and now all that prime property is available and investors like Ackman make lots of bucks on liquidation......

At the costs of all the penneys jobs lost and lives ruined.

Just look at Sears and eddie h.

Personally he has made a mint off sears Kmart, while destroying both retailers.
Anony mouse

Lexington, MA

#9 Mar 22, 2013
At the costs of all the penneys jobs lost and lives ruined.
Just look at Sears and eddie h.
Personally he has made a mint off sears Kmart, while destroying both retailers.

Funny you should say that...see my latest post under "www.marketwatch.... "
OH, AND WHY AM I HOME TWIDDLING MY THUMBS ON THE COMPUTER?? BECAUSE MY JCP HOURS WERE CUT AGAIN THIS WEEK!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

JC Penney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
attendance (May '15) Wed POPgoes 31
Management Restructure Tue NotWORTHit 4
Merchandise assistant (Feb '16) Jan 14 Exasperated 25
home services (Jun '17) Jan 14 EXTRA 5
Associate Kiosk (Jul '15) Jan 12 vidya neglur 22
JTime Codes Jan 11 WHOrgas 2
wrongfully terminated !! (Feb '16) Jan 6 HACKedOFF 20
More from around the web