J.C. Penney to again advertise 'sales'

J.C. Penney to again advertise 'sales'

There are 18 comments on the Tulsa World story from Jun 7, 2012, titled J.C. Penney to again advertise 'sales'. In it, Tulsa World reports that:

J.C. Penney Co. CEO Ron Johnson says the department store chain is resurrecting the word "sale" in promoting its monthlong events, the latest change it's making to reverse a sharp drop in customer counts and sales.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Tulsa World.

Deb

Howell, MI

#1 Jun 7, 2012
I love the no coupons at JCPenney. I always use to forget the coupon at home or bring it on the incorrect date. Coupon people have nothing better to do but to clip paper.
I researched an iron recently. Bought it at JCPenney because price was cheaper than buying at Amazon.
You should give the customers 5% discount for using JCPenney card like Target and more people would shop there.
Have commercials about ladies leaving coupons at home and missing the sales.
I hope improves sales because I would hate to have to go back to those coupons.
bob haller

Pittsburgh, PA

#2 Jun 19, 2012
frankly i loved the 15% off return customer coupon. I hope sales continue to tank, in the hopes whoever replaces ron at the helm decides to bring back CUSTOMER SERVICE!
mystique

Panama City, FL

#3 Dec 27, 2012
bob haller wrote:
frankly i loved the 15% off return customer coupon. I hope sales continue to tank, in the hopes whoever replaces ron at the helm decides to bring back CUSTOMER SERVICE!
Be sure to check back they are starting to run sales/coupons again.
bob haller

Pittsburgh, PA

#4 Dec 27, 2012
mystique wrote:
<quoted text>
Be sure to check back they are starting to run sales/coupons again.
I wouldnt return as long as ron IDIOT is at the helm! They can offer coupons but customer service stinks, the replacement associates dont know what they are doing, pushing the gay agenda offended me, poor selection of plus size clothes and no inventory. I a lifetime penneys shopper now buys at KOHLS. Thanks ron your changes got me test shopping everywhere else.

Ron sent most of his customers a strong message, JCP does NOT want you as a customer.

frankly I HOPE sales continue to tank so bad ron gets fired, since he richly deserves it.

I shopped penneys for customer service, nice merchandise at fair prices. Ron destroyed my favorite store.
JCP Fan

Pasadena, CA

#5 Dec 28, 2012
bob haller wrote:
<quoted text>
pushing the gay agenda offended me
Ellen is a popular TV female talk show personality who once was an employee of JCPenney.

What... if it had been Oprah would you have been upset Ron was pushing the 'black' agenda.

Go to KOHLs. It's more expensive... sucker.
bob haller

Pittsburgh, PA

#6 Dec 28, 2012
JCP Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Ellen is a popular TV female talk show personality who once was an employee of JCPenney.
What... if it had been Oprah would you have been upset Ron was pushing the 'black' agenda.
Go to KOHLs. It's more expensive... sucker.
I didnt mind ellen, it was those front pages of gay couples that initially turned me OFF to penneys.

Kohls buy the way offeres all sorts of promos:) I bought a couple shirts initially and ended up spending over 600 bucks before I was thru... all excellent merchandise at very good prices.

The REAL SUCKER is JCP and Ackman, making ron the 3rd highest paid CEO in america to destroy the brand and the company. Ron hasnt maid a single change I like.....

his cut costs at all costs gutted customer service. he could go back to the old model that had record profits in 2010 and i doubt he will see much of a rebound in sales.
JCP Fan

Pasadena, CA

#7 Dec 29, 2012
bob haller wrote:
<quoted text>
The REAL SUCKER is JCP and Ackman, making ron the 3rd highest paid CEO in america to destroy the brand and the company. Ron hasnt maid a single change I like.....
But why would JCP try to please a dork like you?
bob haller

Pittsburgh, PA

#8 Dec 29, 2012
JCP Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
name calling isnt really necessary....... but since you started it. Ron how does it feel to be one of the most hated men in america today?
because Ron offended, in one form or another a large percentage of his customers, and literally forcedv them to shop elsewhere.
futher ron claimed there was no time to test market his crackpot ideas, if he had most would of never seen the light of day:)
Eric

Pittsburg, TX

#9 Dec 29, 2012
fathers day was the day I swore off of JCP.
Get Rid of Ron

Woodbridge, VA

#10 Dec 29, 2012
The irony in the whole gay agenda theme is that the average "gay couple" would not even consider shopping in JCP...Statistics show that many gay people tend to be higher wage earners and would be more likely at retailers such as: Macy's, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's and so on...In other words Ron tried to appeal to a demographic that would not be interested in shopping at JCP no matter what the changes were and alienated the demographic that kept the venerable chain thriving....looks like he forgot the "Golden Rule"
JCP Fan

Pasadena, CA

#11 Dec 30, 2012
bob haller wrote:
<quoted text>
name calling isnt really necessary....... but since you started it. Ron how does it feel to be one of the most hated men in america today?
because Ron offended, in one form or another a large percentage of his customers, and literally forcedv them to shop elsewhere.
futher ron claimed there was no time to test market his crackpot ideas, if he had most would of never seen the light of day:)
You sound like one of those Fandroid morons who hates everything Apple does... and since Ron Johnson worked at Apple... it's all H8 against Ron and homosexuals.

Why not just admit you've slept with your cousin and be done with it?
bob haller

Pittsburgh, PA

#12 Dec 30, 2012
JCP Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound like one of those Fandroid morons who hates everything Apple does... and since Ron Johnson worked at Apple... it's all H8 against Ron and homosexuals.
I never heard of ron johnson till he got hired by penneys and destroyed it. I never bought a apple anything except apples to eat. I base my postings on what ron has done to what was my favorite store.
JCP Fan

Pasadena, CA

#13 Dec 30, 2012
bob haller wrote:
<quoted text>
I never heard of ron johnson till he got hired by penneys and destroyed it. I never bought a apple anything except apples to eat. I base my postings on what ron has done to what was my favorite store.
1. I don't believe you.

2. Why did JCP hire Ron Johnson? Because JCPenney was doing so well? Was that it?

:eyesroll:
bob haller

Pittsburgh, PA

#14 Dec 30, 2012
JCP Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
1. I don't believe you.
2. Why did JCP hire Ron Johnson? Because JCPenney was doing so well? Was that it?
:eyesroll:
JC Penney had record profits in 2010, hurt only by the increasing cost of cotton in 2011. Penneys got greedy, and its come back to bite them bad. Ron was the wrong person for CEO. It was a success as it was. certinally rons crackpot ideas should of been test marketed before commiting the entire chain.

Incidently calling me a liar isnt really very nice espically since what I posted is TRUE!
GeorgeMason

Escondido, CA

#15 Jan 5, 2013
JCP Fan is a kool-aid drinking Ron Johnson zealot, just ignore him.
bob haller

Pittsburgh, PA

#16 Jan 5, 2013
Ron wanted to cut costs by elminating sales.... changing marked price costs big bucks....

while he could of put computerized price signs on most merchandise displays, put price checker devices all thru the stores, and run specials at will no remarking needed. in fact they could run mystery specials daily by just sending out a wi fi signal to various electronic price signs on displays, which could increase store traffic looking for todays bargain...
i know

Bristol, VA

#17 Mar 1, 2013
JCP Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
jcp fan do u work there or something? U need to really open your eyes and see whats going on exspecially to the workers and dont tell me i dont know after years and years of working there
bob haller

Pittsburgh, PA

#18 Mar 1, 2013
JCP Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
JCP Fan theres no reason to get nasty. The proof is in the sucky fiancial numbers coming from JCP

Honestly I have never bought a apple product other than some real apples at the grocery store:)

Actually my cousin is drop dead gorgeous but no action there........

Wonder what it feels like to be ron Johnson?? Probably a shock that he isnt gods gift to retail...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

JC Penney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
attendance 13 hr jcp associate 1
How long of breaks do we get? Tue long time associate 5
Attendance policy May 20 jcp associate 2
Access Denied on website May 15 Lisa P 19
News Ron Johnson unboxes e-commerce with GoEnjoy.com May 11 Cabbie 3
Fortune Exclusive: Whistle-blower files claim a... May 11 What a surprise 2
new credit requirements May 9 Chris 10
More from around the web