Remote-control XPV debuts

Full story: Daily News 86
One if by land, two if by sea, three if by land and air? Toy-lovers can navigate both dirt and sky with the XPV, a new radio-controlled gizmo made by JAKKS Pacific Inc. Full Story
Mikey

Hayward, CA

#25 Dec 15, 2006
J Amos wrote:
I am at a loss regarding lingo for remote control airplanes and may be at the wrong web site for info. but can anyone tell me if an Air Hog land and sea plane would be appropriate for an 8 yr. old beginner or what would be good? It sounds as if the general consensus is that the Aeroace biplane would be good but is there anything else that would also go on land and water? Thanks so much!
I recently purchased both of these to *ahem* "test drive" them because I wanted to know the same thing before wasting $100 on something he'll destroy in ten minutes. Neither of these units are appropriate for a beginner, waaaaaayyyy too squirrely. Nice thing with the Air Hogs line though is that that put the recommended skill level on the package to make it easy for us parents. They have three levels: EZ, Intermediate, and Pro. The Storm Launcher is rated as a pro unit, but I found it hard to get it in the air, but much more stable than the XPV as the previous post stated. Even the Air Hogs Dominator which is rated as a Intermediate took some time to get used to, and it's rated to be the best "ready to fly out of the box" units of 2005. Hope that helps you parents out there. Gonna test out the XPV today after work will let anyone that's interested know how it goes.
bkind

Los Angeles, CA

#26 Dec 16, 2006
Too Bad wrote:
Awe, poor baby. Why didn't you market it instead of patting yourselves on the back and now whining that someone stole your idea. Oh, here's a thought! Since you DIDN'T market the idea, maybe someone else thought of the same thing you did. Ever consider that Genius?
Were you born such a negative jerk or did your parents abuse you as a child?
Melissa

Mount Vernon, OH

#27 Dec 16, 2006
We are very disappointed with the XVP. We bought one for my son's 10th birthday. The second time up it crashed and the wheel is shattered. Now we're looking for replacement parts. Can we get a new wheel??
DRHunk

Oklahoma City, OK

#28 Dec 16, 2006
I am interested Mikey
just a thought

AOL

#29 Dec 17, 2006
dude, JAKKS owns Spinmasters.
Rogers52321

AOL

#30 Dec 18, 2006
they dont own them
Jay

Brooklyn, NY

#31 Dec 24, 2006
My son wanted the XPV. I wanted him to get the Storn Launcher. We got the storm Launcher, and it had battery problems. When we took it back, he wanted the xpv. Bad choice. The wheel is broken on day 2. Next week I'm going to buy the Storm Launcher for myself to race againts his crappy XPV. They get the kids with the commercial with flight of 20 stories. The XPV can be controlled, but it takes time to master. That is if you still have a plane left by that time. My son still loves it, but I can see it won't last long. A waste of money at 80$ total. Buy the storm laubcher for 100$.
charles
#32 Dec 25, 2006
...ok. Last year a friend gave my son a string controlled gas plane. I flew it first go and piled it up when it ran out of gas. After much joint tinkering my son lost interest.

This year he wanted an xpv. Learning from experience we went somewhere there is soft grass. Piled it up a lot, but no worries. On the second charge my son got the hang of it pretty well for level flight and turns. It also Immelmanns pretty well. He also worked out a vertical takeoff mode that worked better than the cinder jogging path. Give it the right toss up (back over the shoulder a little, upwind, holding from the bottom) and straighten it out when it stalls at the top of the toss. Trickier if it comes out inverted. This year, and with an electric motor involved, I stayed pretty much out of the flying except for helping to toss. I did get it to, turn, fly level and land on my second go. Yes. If it was built like a Cessna it would be stable like a Cessna. But even though that's my normal ride I rate the xpv a success. I'm sure if I'd tried it over a hard surface I might have a different opinion.

My son says it's fun, but a little hard to figure out when getting out of sight. We put it in a tree at a range of about 250 yards, but got it down unscathed. Finding was pretty easy. Just hit the power a touch and follow the noise.
splat30

Cumming, GA

#33 Dec 26, 2006
Just got an XPV for Christmas. It's a blast! Fast and easy to get in the air. Turning is tricky but managable. My 6 yr old was flying it solo in about 15 mins. We found durability was much better than specified in previous posts. We flew on a parking lot and the XPV took at least 10 hard hits with no damage. This includes about 5 nose dives from about 20-30 ft and numerous hits on the curb. Still going strong.

Reports of battery usage seem inflated. We flew for about 30 mins with plenty of battery left.
dannie

United States

#34 Dec 26, 2006
im 11 and i flew an XPV and it worked fine but i crahed it into a giant puddle and the right propellor starts spining wen ever i turn my xpv on so my dad said just to let it dry out then try it again.
but it is so fun to fly once you get used to it
scotty

Seaford, NY

#35 Dec 26, 2006
I just got the xpv for christmas and it's a piece of crap. On the second flight it went up about 20 feet and did a nosedive. The front shattered and the performance was altered. now, I could barely get off the ground. I want a new one in exchange for mine. I like the xpv, but it's very unstable. The turns are very hard and it always falls on the turns.
dylan

Seaford, NY

#36 Dec 26, 2006
i had just got the xpv for chriatmas with my brother scott, and it's a piece of crap. as soon as i got it out of the box, and charged the battery, i brought it to a baseball field. the xpv started to lean all the way to the left and this effect tripled the flying difficulties for the xpv. i am very disappointed in this product, and i rather get some other product instead of yours. XPV IS A PIECE OF CRAP!
dylan

Seaford, NY

#37 Dec 26, 2006
STORM LAUNCHER RULES
splat30

Cumming, GA

#38 Dec 26, 2006
Maybe you guys just need to learn how to read. The instructions that came with the XPV clearly state how to adjust the wings for straighter flight and how to make turns without crashing.
SCOTTY

Seaford, NY

#39 Dec 26, 2006
OK, SPLAT30, DID YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS? DID YOU ADJUST THE WINGS? DID YOU EVER HAVE FLYING PROBLEMS?
SCOTTY

Seaford, NY

#40 Dec 26, 2006
splat30, i don't know where to find in the instructions how to adjust the wings.
SCOTTY

Seaford, NY

#41 Dec 26, 2006
my xvp got all crashed up like yours, melissa.i can't fix it.
SCOTTY

Seaford, NY

#42 Dec 26, 2006
splat30, do you know a billy around 9 years old in new jersey? he is in my house right now. anyway, i know how to read. billy is at my house
Eddie

Omaha, NE

#43 Dec 26, 2006
Im 13 and i got an XPV for xmas and its a lot of fun it flies good and hardly flips over and crashes most people say its bad because they dont know how to control it but it works well for me
XPV

AOL

#44 Dec 27, 2006
PIECE OF CRAP

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

JAKKS Pacific Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008 Playable Demo Now Av... (Nov '07) May '13 Dark AaRON is a D... 123
Triple H and Shawn Michaels on the cover of WWE... (Jul '08) Dec '08 sujon da king 19
Triple H and Shawn Michaels on the cover of WWE... (Jul '08) Nov '08 Adrenalynn 21
WWE SmackDown! Vs. Raw 2008 Demo Out (Oct '07) Jul '08 danny f 5
JAKKS Pacific(R) Reports Fourth Quarter and Yea... (Apr '08) Apr '08 Gladiator Champio... 1
TOYS & GAMES: Max & Ruby Toys (Dec '07) Mar '08 Desiee 2
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008 Ships (Nov '07) Nov '07 spawn 3
More from around the web