After Arnold picks McCain, Shriver endorses Obama

Full story: LA Daily News

Offering women a permission slip to desert the candidacy of Hillary Rodham Clinton in favor of Barack Obama, Oprah Winfrey said today they should not feel guilty if they preferred him over her.
Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Feb 4, 2008
Reality Check

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2008

Oprah tells the audience that "Being free means you get to think for yourself," aiming that at women. I think most women feel very free to think for themselves and have for some time -- but the recent exhortation of the President of NOW, for women to vote for Hillary, has had a backlash with comments like this one. NOW doesn't speak for most women these days, and there are certainly no more women who feel obliged to vote for a woman, than -- I hope -- blacks who feel compelled to vote for Obama.

The old guard from the feminist/ early civil rights era, like the NOWs, the Al Sharptons, Jesse Jacksons all urge their followers to vote for a like gender or color. But it's kind of insulting for Oprah to tell women it's "OK to feel free to think for themselves.": Being free means not caring what Oprah, Caroline Kennedy or Shriver do or urge us to do.

Mostly, I'm sick or all the vague romantic gibberish used to promote Obama: "Innovative," a "Dreamer," "visionary," or as the LA Times said, a "poem" vs. HIllary being a "well-reasoned essay." There's nothing against well-reasoned essays/ researched papers when it comes to politics and leading the country, so if the more level-headed Hillary supporters' arguments are an indication, she'll be better than Obama.(And across the board, while their basic take on issues isn't that similar, hers are more thought out.) And she has the guts to take views that may be unpopular in some areas, like telling Hispanics in California and Florida that she doesn't believe in driver's licenses for illegals until the broader immigration issue is resolved. She's the one who's who's been more consistent and refusing to pander, his camp's accusations to the contrary.(By the way, as for Iraq: although he didn't vote to authorize the President's right to declare war, since he wasn't in the Senate at the time, he has continuously voted to keep authorizing funding for the war -- what's the difference?)
Jammer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2008

maria? Oprah? Hillary? Nope; American Electoral Collegians do not listen to, vote for, nor takes ANY woMAN serious. I will not vote for that black man!(I am a Republican)!
Gladys Gonzalez

Canyon Country, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2008

I really strongly will vote for Hillary R. Clinton because she has a lot of experience and we need Change and Barack Obama what has he done for his state nothing really, how does he want to run this country if he hasnt done anything for Illinois
Gladys Gonzalez

Canyon Country, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2008

I'am so sick of this Oprah,Kennedys,Obama, and everybody who thinks Obama is great. Obama's father is a radical Muslim I will never ever vote for anyone who has any kind of muslim in their family. Anyways Hillary Clinton will Win On Tuesday. Who in the hell is Obama anyway.
Philip

Mercer Island, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2008

I cannot wait to vote in my states primary later this month. As a black man, I cannot wait to vote for......Hillary Clinton. Im voting for experience. Not on race or hope. I also believe in loyalty which is something many democrats are apparently not interested in these days. It will probably not make a difference in who wins with the Dems as this party is split.
Maung Maung Nyo

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2008

Dear Editor,
Who is Maria Shriver? Can she deliver votes to Obama? How is she living with a Republican husband?
Stefan Nilsson

Stockholm, Sweden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

As a European following American politics closely I am very disappointed of the way Hillary and Bill Clinton has waged this campaign - too much negativity and untruth accusations. I was for many years a big admirer of them (Bill was a good president). But it is now more evident that another Clinton administration will not be a clean break with the past. Barrack Obama has all the important qualities a president should have and most of all a strong inner core and integrity. He would be an excellent president.
EJAY364

Hartland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

We need a change Senator Obama will make a great president, he is for all americans, he is the only one I trust, these other candiates talk talk they have their own agenda it is only for them and their ego, GO OBAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAA.
Ann

Hartland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

TO REALITY CHECK: YOU NEED A REAL REALITY CHECK DO YOU THINK ANYONE CARES ABOUT THAT HALF OF BOOK YOU WROTE, YOU EITHER NEED A LIFE,( GET ONE ) OR YOU ON HILLARY OR SLICK WILLIE CAMPAIGN
Troy

Hartland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Gladys Gonzalez I hope you have your shopping bag packed, you will be leaving good ole u.s.a when Hillary get in you are a goner I know you are here illegal
Flim Flam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

2 words: "Electoral College."
Lawrence Wolf

Oxnard, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

An amazing amount of bigotry in some of the above comments. What a way to waste your life! I wish you Hillary fans would stop babbling about her "experience." If being first lady gives you the experience to be president, let's form an exploratory committee for Laura Bush.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Innovative Solutions and Support Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Innovative Solutions & Support, Inc. Announces ... (Dec '09) Dec '09 POd person 1
Public relations, press release distribution, i... (Jan '09) Jan '09 hang on CNB 1
poor support (Mar '08) Mar '08 rickq 1
Innovative office building coming to Plainfield (Feb '08) Feb '08 rs_freeland 46
Kennedys, Oprah tell women at UCLA rally to go ... (Feb '08) Feb '08 DIETER 17
Boy sexually abused in foster care reaches $300... (Jan '08) Jan '08 Steve in Wellington 5
Ms Kanan Bhatt's Corporate Drama Books (Mar '07) Mar '07 James Dunwoody 1

Search the Innovative Solutions and Support Forum:
•••