Premiere's deal lines up an IMAX theater in El Paso

Full story: El Paso Times

El Paso could get an IMAX theater as early as this year. IMAX Corp. and Texas-based Premiere Cinema Corp.
Comments
1 - 20 of 142 Comments Last updated Apr 23, 2011
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
CacaConPelos

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2011

Judged:

What the hell is IMAX? I've heard of it but I never know what it was. Didn't read LOL
No Mames

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Judged:

Lets just hope the democraps don'tchase them away like they did six flags, the ice hockey rink, western playland, the ascarate imax/hotel a few years back, etc..........
Publius

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Judged:

HINT HINT we WANT a tax-break COOKIE.
ohmygosh

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Finally a VIP theater in el paso!
I luv IMAX movies

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

No Mames wrote:
Lets just hope the democraps don'tchase them away like they did six flags, the ice hockey rink, western playland, the ascarate imax/hotel a few years back, etc..........
We've had an ice hockey rink again for the last 6 or 7 yrs!! I would love to go to a local IMAX instead of getting all excited to see an IMAX in Dallas, Galveston or Alamogordo!
Private

Stephenville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Judged:

Let's hope for a West side location!
Mr Movies

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Judged:

IMAX,IMAX,IMAX!!!!!!
Hellboy23

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Judged:

Finally some state of the art entertainment for this city. Hopefully it gets approve by the city crooks that run this town.
ima

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Judged:

IMAX, that would be super!!!! might be a good start for all of us to get along? Northeast seems would have more room. East? well too many things happen out that way.
JPeterson

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Judged:

I ran the Imax theater in Alamogordo when it opened in 1981 until I came to El Paso in 1986 to run the Roddenberry Planetarium here. IMAX is film that is 10 times the size of regular film, so the picture can be 10 times as big, 10 times as sharp, or a combination of large size and sharpness. It's a lot like the difference between regular TV and HDTV. The new digital version make a lot of sense because the film does wear and get scratched. The film copies are also quite expensive. Alamorgodo projects the IMAX film onto a 40 foot planetarium dome with a special lens. It used to be called OmniMax, but it is the same projector. The only down side will be that an IMAX theater will cost more than a regular movie. It's very expensive equipment.
Watchman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Judged:

JPeterson wrote:
I ran the Imax theater in Alamogordo when it opened in 1981 until I came to El Paso in 1986 to run the Roddenberry Planetarium here. IMAX is film that is 10 times the size of regular film, so the picture can be 10 times as big, 10 times as sharp, or a combination of large size and sharpness. It's a lot like the difference between regular TV and HDTV. The new digital version make a lot of sense because the film does wear and get scratched. The film copies are also quite expensive. Alamorgodo projects the IMAX film onto a 40 foot planetarium dome with a special lens. It used to be called OmniMax, but it is the same projector. The only down side will be that an IMAX theater will cost more than a regular movie. It's very expensive equipment.
Agreed, but I'm sure it's worth the ticket price.
Cantwait

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Can't wait!
Nothing negative to say and no one to criticize (wow)
Expasoan now New Juarez

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Judged:

WHOOOO something new to do at boring land, that whats we need ,ENTERTAINMENT. Please don't allow the city to get into this, they will kill it in one second.
Joe Coolo

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Judged:

Private wrote:
Let's hope for a West side location!
west side gay mafia will definitely come out in large numbers to see their favorite male actors package in imax size
Petro

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Judged:

Democrat Leadership dont give them shi/t make them pay their taxes they will make millions,
JDT-El Paso

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Hell Yeah! Its about DAMN Time!!!!!!! Dont screw this up El Paso!!!
Ese

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Judged:

Publius wrote:
HINT HINT we WANT a tax-break COOKIE.
If it increases the quality of life here in this hell-hole, what's wrong with that? Fool.
oneup

Monterey Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Judged:

No Mames wrote:
For the record Six Flags never considered a park in El Paso. It was mentioned years ago in the news paper....and now everyone thinks the city said no. The market could never support a Six Flags, there is not enough expendable income in this area for a large theme park to survive.
However an IMAX is ideal for El Paso!
JQP

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

Nothing wrong with tax break incentives for new businesses. All economically progressive cities in Texas do this. Unfortunately, this city's government has a paycheck-to-paycheck mentality and never sees the forest for the trees. DON'T SCREW THIS UP EL PASO CITY GOVERNMENT.
otherone

Lubbock, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2011

No Mames wrote:
Who chased away six flags? If I recall correctly, the six flags franchise didnt see a market in El Paso.

Anyway, I think an IMAX in EP will be great. It's about time.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Imax Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rendering for IMAX (Sep '09) Mar '14 Neetesh 4
Dark Knight Rises on Cinemark XD will include t... (Jul '12) Jul '12 ian 2
AMC TheatresA and General Growth Properties Ann... (Jun '12) Jun '12 datruth 1
IMAX gives 2 space shuttle cameras to Smithsonian (Apr '12) Apr '12 fromoverthesea 1
"Alice in Wonderland" (2010) (Aug '11) Aug '11 Abishai100 1
Sony Invites Consumers to Imagine Their Lives i... (May '11) May '11 Maybe 2
Premiere's deal lines up an IMAX theater in El ... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Afghan - Iraq Vet 3

Search the Imax Forum:
•••