Hallmark Gets Rid of 'Gay' on Christmas Ornament

Oct 31, 2013 Full story: EDGE 51

As Fox News reports , the greeting card company edited the iconic song's lyrics for its new Christmas ornament, taking out the word "gay" in "Don we now our gay apparel," and replacing it with "fun."

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#1 Oct 31, 2013
It's OK!
We're still 'GAY' in the Authorized King James Bible:
James 2:3> And yee haue respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say vnto him, Sit thou here in a good place: and say to the poore, Stand thou there, or sit here vnder my footstoole

DNF

““Be guided by principles..."”

Since: Apr 07

Baltimore

#2 Oct 31, 2013
I agree with the FB post that said, "by changing the word, the company made an unnecessary political statement."

We all know that in the song, "gay apparel" has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Hallmark blew it this time IMO by bowing to the P.C. pressure of homophobes.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#3 Oct 31, 2013
"fun" can refer to sexual acts and toys, so I will presume "fun apparel" refers to a gimp suit with a ball gag.

DNF

Baltimore

#4 Oct 31, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
"fun" can refer to sexual acts and toys, so I will presume "fun apparel" refers to a gimp suit with a ball gag.
as rainbow mentioned on another thread:
http://www.funny-potato.com/images/bin-laden/...

http://i.eatliver.com/2011/8073.jpg

"Fun apparel"?

Google walmartian pics!
http://beartales.me/2013/01/14/the-latest-cro...

LMAO
Sgt Common Sense

Fairfield, CT

#5 Oct 31, 2013
If were changing "gay apparel" for the ultra-right nutcases, shouldnt it be accurately changed to dour apparel?

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#6 Oct 31, 2013
I really could not care less about this. I don't buy their products anyway. If they want to make a political statement, and alienate a large group of people with tons of discretionary income, have at at. I will still be buying greeting cards and such at discount stores. I don't even buy the rest of the kitsch they sell.

“Common courtesy, isn't”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#7 Oct 31, 2013
DNF wrote:
I agree with the FB post that said, "by changing the word, the company made an unnecessary political statement."
We all know that in the song, "gay apparel" has nothing to do with sexual orientation.
I understand what you're saying ... however, I couldn't help but laugh when I thought of all those linguistic homophobes who insist that the word "gay" doesn't apply to men who are attracted to other men, and instead only means "happy" and "cheerful". Apparently, Hallmark begs to differ! And so the knife cuts both ways ...

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#8 Oct 31, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>as rainbow mentioned on another thread:
http://www.funny-potato.com/images/bin-laden/...
http://i.eatliver.com/2011/8073.jpg
"Fun apparel"?
Google walmartian pics!
http://beartales.me/2013/01/14/the-latest-cro...
LMAO
I'm scarred for life!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#9 Oct 31, 2013
Our last tree topper was a vintage Glenda the Good Witch doll.

“Believer of Common Sense”

Since: Jan 11

Middle of Nowhere

#10 Nov 1, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Lol

“Believer of Common Sense”

Since: Jan 11

Middle of Nowhere

#11 Nov 1, 2013
DNF wrote:
In the eyes of Hallmark, I must have been singing a song at Christmas, as a child, about homosexuals wearing a strap on. Get real! They need institutionalized!

DNF

Baltimore

#12 Nov 1, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm scarred for life!
I can fix that.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/d01458cdab244279e5...
Total Liberal Takeover

Paris, France

#13 Nov 1, 2013
The Flinstones are gay too :(... they should edit the song in newly edited DVD's !!

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#14 Nov 1, 2013
RalphB wrote:
I really could not care less about this. I don't buy their products anyway. If they want to make a political statement, and alienate a large group of people with tons of discretionary income, have at at. I will still be buying greeting cards and such at discount stores. I don't even buy the rest of the kitsch they sell.
The only greeting cards I ever buy are sympathy cards. Everything else can be done through the web. I gave up sending Xmas cards (too expensive) years ago in favour of my own web card, a seasonal photo without any bragging letter accompaniment. Frankly, I don't see much future for this company unless they change what they sell. I can't imagine the younger folks are buying greeting cards in large numbers and most of the other stuff they sell in their stores is overpriced kitsch.
suburbanrelapse

Whitinsville, MA

#15 Nov 1, 2013
lol... P.C. crap running amok once again. I am gay and have no issues with "Don we now our gay apparel". If anyone gets offended by that, then they're an idiot..
The Grinch

Verrires-le-buisson, France

#16 Nov 1, 2013
suburbanrelapse wrote:
lol... P.C. crap running amok once again. I am gay and have no issues with "Don we now our gay apparel". If anyone gets offended by that, then they're an idiot..
It's kinda inappropriate for Christmas decorations to refer to anything 'gay'! Next thing you konw, they'll say that Santa Claus is a drag queen... which btw he may be, wearing a shiny red dress and all :(
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#17 Nov 1, 2013
suburbanrelapse wrote:
They changed the Christmas Season to the Holiday Season.
They want to take "under God" out of the Pledge.
They want to do away with father/daughter dances and mother/son ballgames in public schools.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/18/ri-s...
Public schools in a nearby town had an annual Christmas sale to raise money. Now it's a holiday sale and nothing to do with Christmas is allowed to be sold. One nutcase compared Santa to a swastika.
http://www.lowellsun.com/todaysheadlines/ci_1...

I think students in the Cranston public schools should be able to refer to their teachers a Mister, Miss or misses. They should be addressed as 'person' or 'human.'
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#18 Nov 1, 2013
I think students in the Cranston public schools --shouldn't-- be able to refer to their teachers a Mister, Miss or Misses. They should be addressed as 'person' or 'human.'

Sorry for the error.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#19 Nov 1, 2013
The Grinch wrote:
<quoted text>
It's kinda inappropriate for Christmas decorations to refer to anything 'gay'! Next thing you konw, they'll say that Santa Claus is a drag queen... which btw he may be, wearing a shiny red dress and all :(
Only Mrs. Claus knows for sure; and she ain't talkin' baby
The 'truth' would cause a total collapse of the Chinese extruded plastic toy industry
.....and the teabagger republicans would outlaw raising children in a house with a chimney

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#20 Nov 1, 2013
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
The only greeting cards I ever buy are sympathy cards. Everything else can be done through the web. I gave up sending Xmas cards (too expensive) years ago in favour of my own web card, a seasonal photo without any bragging letter accompaniment. Frankly, I don't see much future for this company unless they change what they sell. I can't imagine the younger folks are buying greeting cards in large numbers and most of the other stuff they sell in their stores is overpriced kitsch.
I agree with you on Hallmark stuff. However, for Christmas, Chanukah, and other holidays, which I don't believe in but my relatives and friends do, I purchase greeting cards with as little wording on the cover as possible, and a simple "Happy Holidays" or such in the interior. It leaves me lots of room to write a personal note to each person or family. I usually begin writing them in September, and make reference to something in their lives during that year, in order to personalize it. Young folks can discard as many traditions as they want.....it's their world to design from here out. As for me, I am hopelessly stuck with the things that have given my life meaning, and hand-writing letters and notes is something I find much more meaningful than an email or e-greeting. Each to his own. By the way, I have hundreds of hand-written letters, signed by family members, and telling family stories. I'll pass them on if anyone wants them. Funny, but I haven't saved one email or e-greeting card that I have ever received. Go figure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

IGN Entertainment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Feds Spend $423K To Fund Study Effects Of Sex A... 20 hr Smiley1 69
Beyond Marriage, Challenges Ahead For Gay Right... Jan 3 NorCal Native 8
New Dating Site Encourages Users to 'Settle for... Dec 30 Minny 1
Carrollton Free Press Standard News | Oberlin's... Dec 27 Future Toy Giver 3
No title Dec '14 Baal Zephon 1
EBay Reveals $23 Million Golden Parachute For C... Dec '14 Philip Cohen 1
Most Straights Subconsciously Believe Gay Men a... (May '14) Dec '14 Someone87 83
More from around the web