Artist Selected to Design Vinegar Hill Monument - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and...

A panel has selected a New York artist to design Charlottesville's Vinegar Hill monument. Full Story
Intelligence

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Apr 29, 2012
Who is paying for all of this? I hope it is NOT our tax dollars!
Well now

Harrisonburg, VA

#3 Apr 30, 2012
Thank goodness...Significant in picking a black from the north to do the sculpture. Out with the old and in with the new!
Bob

Crozet, VA

#4 Apr 30, 2012
Intelligence wrote:
Count on it!
Captain Obvious

Waynesboro, VA

#5 Apr 30, 2012
Amusingly enough, the statues Szakos wanted gone were donated to the city. Now, she wants the city to pay for this. Isn't there some interested private group that could pony up funds for this?

I'm not saying it's not statue worthy, mind you, but why out of the city's (meaning you and me, provided you actually pay taxes) pocket?

How come the VDOT mandated connector for I-64 and US-29 stops at Cherry Avenue, anyway?
all taken for a ride

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Apr 30, 2012
Captain Obvious wrote:
Amusingly enough, the statues Szakos wanted gone were donated to the city. Now, she wants the city to pay for this. Isn't there some interested private group that could pony up funds for this?
I'm not saying it's not statue worthy, mind you, but why out of the city's (meaning you and me, provided you actually pay taxes) pocket?
How come the VDOT mandated connector for I-64 and US-29 stops at Cherry Avenue, anyway?
The estimated cost for the piece is $100 -$200,000.00 Thousand Dollars....
$18,000 already spent in the search for the aritist process.
sounds like a very expensive piece of scrap metal.
ActionJackson

Bassett, VA

#7 Apr 30, 2012
Intelligence wrote:
You had to ask when you already know? It's you & me! This is a good example of a non-accountable city clowncil who just love to piss away our hard earned tax dollers! What does some freakin' out of town artsy-fartsy know about the local history & know how to relate to it? Yea, I agree, the Vinegar Hill population was screwed over but I didn't do, so why do I have to pay to keep "itching the wound"? The race issue will always be in this town as long as the goody-ggody liberals keep dragging this stuff up. GET OVER IT!
truth

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Apr 30, 2012
ActionJackson wrote:
<quoted text>You had to ask when you already know? It's you & me! This is a good example of a non-accountable city clowncil who just love to **** away our hard earned tax dollers! What does some freakin' out of town artsy-fartsy know about the local history & know how to relate to it? Yea, I agree, the Vinegar Hill population was screwed over but I didn't do, so why do I have to pay to keep "itching the wound"? The race issue will always be in this town as long as the goody-ggody liberals keep dragging this stuff up. GET OVER IT!
so much for supporting the local folks....and a Yankee to boot!

Tax money is just like Crack to most Clowncil Members!
and the schools are bankrupt!
Amazed

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Apr 30, 2012
Seriously, this is a gross mis-use of tax dollars. 100-200,000 dollars? Cut off a program that helps kids succeed, such as the First tee, to pay for an act of symbolism? I'm a liberal democrat and even I can't wait to get out of this nutty city!
would not admit it ever

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Apr 30, 2012
Amazed wrote:
Seriously, this is a gross mis-use of tax dollars. 100-200,000 dollars? Cut off a program that helps kids succeed, such as the First tee, to pay for an act of symbolism? I'm a liberal democrat and even I can't wait to get out of this nutty city!
then you should be very proud and happy to be amongst like minded bottom feeders....
reality bites

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Apr 30, 2012
ActionJackson wrote:
<quoted text>You had to ask when you already know? It's you & me! This is a good example of a non-accountable city clowncil who just love to **** away our hard earned tax dollers! What does some freakin' out of town artsy-fartsy know about the local history & know how to relate to it? Yea, I agree, the Vinegar Hill population was screwed over but I didn't do, so why do I have to pay to keep "itching the wound"? The race issue will always be in this town as long as the goody-ggody liberals keep dragging this stuff up. GET OVER IT!
Consider it a form of Reparations.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

IGN Entertainment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Guide: Rise and fall of China's Zhou Yongkang Dec 7 Kid_Tomorrow 1
N is for nuptials as NYC pair weds on subway train Nov 29 Fumblementalist 1
Deer pays startling visit to New York homeowner Nov '14 Lawrence Wolf 4
Holness blames politics for impeding fight agai... Nov '14 Blacktigershark 2
Rosie O'Donnell and Whoopi Goldberg already cla... Nov '14 disgusted 8
Obama Goes West To Win Oct '14 CA-WeCantStandObama 1
Reports: China body-searched 10,000 pigeons Oct '14 DEMOCRACY for CHINA 14
More from around the web