I-81 Rockingham County Accident - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

An early morning traffic accident on Interstate 81 in Rockingham County closed all lanes of traffic in both directions. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
workinman

Waynesboro, VA

#1 Aug 14, 2012
Let us take this time to sit and wait for the ridiculous comments about how trucks are dangerous, blah, blah, blah.
Amy McMahon

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Aug 14, 2012
Trucks aren't dangerous.
It's stupid drivers behind trucks that are.

Drove on I-81 once and a tractor-trailer pulled out of on-coming traffic (ME) while I was doing 70mph. Had less than a mile to stop to the truck starting speed.
buyerbeware

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Aug 14, 2012
Amy McMahon wrote:
Trucks aren't dangerous.
It's stupid drivers behind trucks that are.
Drove on I-81 once and a tractor-trailer pulled out of on-coming traffic (ME) while I was doing 70mph. Had less than a mile to stop to the truck starting speed.
Not sure how a truck could have pulled out of "oncoming" traffic and affected you, unless it crossed the median first. And be honest, were you REALLY only doing 70 mph? The trucks do 75-80...Or was the truck pulling out of the right lane into the left lane to pass, and you are pissed because he got in front of you and wasn't going as fast as you? And if it takes you " a mile to stop to the truck starting speed" you are going WAY too fast. Every car that passes inspection in VA can stop from 70+ in LESS than a mile.
Steve

Lyndhurst, VA

#4 Aug 14, 2012
There is always more to the story. That being said, it is hard to imagine a truck switching lanes and not seeing a passenger bus. Truck drivers and auto drivers both are way too agressive on 81- I travel both 81 and 64, and there is a big difference in the driving attitude. As long as people drive overly agressive, accidents like this will continue to happen. And, the drivers, both kinds, are dangerously agressive on 81.
Watching

Blackstone, VA

#5 Aug 14, 2012
I'm really thankful that all people involved were okay. My husband drives for one of Sysco's competitors, and I would imagine that the accident was a result of driver fatigue, not aggression.
kiski

Bridgewater, VA

#6 Aug 14, 2012
The truck drivers on 81 are incredibly aggressive. If you are midway along side them they will put on their blinker and expect you to fall back or get knocked out of the way. I see it happen ALL the time. There needs to be a law that requires them to stay in the right hand lane.
City Native

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Aug 14, 2012
kiski wrote:
The truck drivers on 81 are incredibly aggressive. If you are midway along side them they will put on their blinker and expect you to fall back or get knocked out of the way. I see it happen ALL the time. There needs to be a law that requires them to stay in the right hand lane.
let's see....you...one of those stupid 4 wheelers who ride beside the 18er for 4 miles...in and out of the blind spot. When the truck needs a lane change...guess what...you sitting on the pot for the last 4 miles...so you get squeezed into making a move...forward or behind.....same difference to the 18er.
Wm Hitt

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Aug 14, 2012
Many of these large trucks are a danger on our highways! They need to respect other vehicles on our roads..

BH
lives in barboursville

Lynchburg, VA

#9 Aug 14, 2012
truck drivers are aggressive on all highways. I live on Rt. 33 and they DO NOT obey the speed limit at all. I where there is a corner so the speed limit was reduced because of the accidents and they still go to way too fast. When driving a large truck, they need to be more careful on the roads.
Gru

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Aug 14, 2012
kiski wrote:
YOU shouldn't be riding alongside a truck like that in the first place as you'll likely be in a very large blind spot! If you're going to pass -- PASS -- and get it done!! Trucks almost always pull into the left lane when approaching an on-ramp, because idiots merging into traffic are SELDOM up to the actual "highway speed" and a truck will end up having to slow down when a vehicle pulls in front of them while merging. Then they'll have to speed up again, expending more fuel. If they can travel at a constant rate of speed -- fuel is conserved.
Over It

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Aug 14, 2012
Wm Hitt wrote:
Many of these large trucks are a danger on our highways! They need to respect other vehicles on our roads..
BH
I'll take the trucks over the texting, cell phone chatting crowd.
beentheredonetha t

Dyke, VA

#12 Aug 14, 2012
and we can't even see the whole pic that is posted as the Olympics add beside the article stays on top. I'm just glad no one was killed in the accident.
Curious

Newington, CT

#13 Aug 14, 2012
buyerbeware wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure how a truck could have pulled out of "oncoming" traffic and affected you, unless it crossed the median first. And be honest, were you REALLY only doing 70 mph? The trucks do 75-80...Or was the truck pulling out of the right lane into the left lane to pass, and you are **** because he got in front of you and wasn't going as fast as you? And if it takes you " a mile to stop to the truck starting speed" you are going WAY too fast. Every car that passes inspection in VA can stop from 70+ in LESS than a mile.
Just a thought since I have had this happen to me as well....maybe the truck that he is talking about pulling inot oncoming traffic was pulling out of a rest area??? Just a thought.....
Amy McMahon

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Aug 15, 2012
buyerbeware wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure how a truck could have pulled out of "oncoming" traffic and affected you, unless it crossed the median first. And be honest, were you REALLY only doing 70 mph? The trucks do 75-80...Or was the truck pulling out of the right lane into the left lane to pass, and you are **** because he got in front of you and wasn't going as fast as you? And if it takes you " a mile to stop to the truck starting speed" you are going WAY too fast. Every car that passes inspection in VA can stop from 70+ in LESS than a mile.
Correction -- The truck was on the shoulder-- trying to get onto the R lane, I was traveling on the R lane. So, it was pulling OUT ONTO "oncoming traffic" is what I meant to say.

Second -- Do you remember your driver ed book? Braking Distance = Reaction Time + Stopping Time. If I was LESS than a mile away and traveling 70mph and I see the the tractor trailer pull out, I already shortened my distance by the time I react. It ended up with some 300-400feet left, I think.

End of Story -- Obviously, I did it so my car is up to specs but needless to say, drivers on the roads shouldn't have to stop on an impulse from 70mph just because a tractor-trailer want to put out onto main flow of traffic.(Consider this-- Cars behind me also will have to decelerate as well!)

PS-- Are you a tractor-trailer driver?
Amy McMahon

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Aug 15, 2012
City Native wrote:
<quoted text>
let's see....you...one of those stupid 4 wheelers who ride beside the 18er for 4 miles...in and out of the blind spot. When the truck needs a lane change...guess what...you sitting on the pot for the last 4 miles...so you get squeezed into making a move...forward or behind.....same difference to the 18er.
In the world of make-believe, that's fine and dandy. But in the real world AND if there is a fair amount of traffic on the road, cars can't just ride pass the tractor trailer all the time. People also won't leave HUGE empty spaces on a left/right of the tractor trailer just in case they need to switch lane. If that was the case, I-95 would never have flowing traffic.
Amy McMahon

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Aug 15, 2012
Gru wrote:
<quoted text> YOU shouldn't be riding alongside a truck like that in the first place as you'll likely be in a very large blind spot! If you're going to pass -- PASS -- and get it done!! Trucks almost always pull into the left lane when approaching an on-ramp, because idiots merging into traffic are SELDOM up to the actual "highway speed" and a truck will end up having to slow down when a vehicle pulls in front of them while merging. Then they'll have to speed up again, expending more fuel. If they can travel at a constant rate of speed -- fuel is conserved.
Conserving fuel and etc. is no excuse for tractor-trailers to bump people off the roads. Share the roadway? They should have to obey the same rules as those of cars, van, SUVs, etc.
If some retard coming on the on-ramp want to jump in front of tractor-trailer instead of yielding, their dumb-ass can get owned by tractor-trailer.
Over It

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Aug 15, 2012
Amy McMahon wrote:
<quoted text>
In the world of make-believe, that's fine and dandy. But in the real world AND if there is a fair amount of traffic on the road, cars can't just ride pass the tractor trailer all the time. People also won't leave HUGE empty spaces on a left/right of the tractor trailer just in case they need to switch lane. If that was the case, I-95 would never have flowing traffic.
then ride beside them if you think that is safe. I personally never start to pass one until I can be sure to make it all the way past and then I do so quickly. The amount of tire debris on the highway should convince you to give them plenty of space.
County Man

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Aug 15, 2012
Amy McMahon wrote:
<quoted text>
Correction -- The truck was on the shoulder-- trying to get onto the R lane, I was traveling on the R lane. So, it was pulling OUT ONTO "oncoming traffic" is what I meant to say.
Second -- Do you remember your driver ed book? Braking Distance = Reaction Time + Stopping Time. If I was LESS than a mile away and traveling 70mph and I see the the tractor trailer pull out, I already shortened my distance by the time I react. It ended up with some 300-400feet left, I think.
End of Story -- Obviously, I did it so my car is up to specs but needless to say, drivers on the roads shouldn't have to stop on an impulse from 70mph just because a tractor-trailer want to put out onto main flow of traffic.(Consider this-- Cars behind me also will have to decelerate as well!)
did you ever consider changing lanes and driving yourself out of a situation? Standing on the brakes is not the only option and often times not the best.
I suggest going back to day 2 of driving class.
truck driver

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Aug 15, 2012
Amy McMahon wrote:
<quoted text>
Conserving fuel and etc. is no excuse for tractor-trailers to bump people off the roads. Share the roadway? They should have to obey the same rules as those of cars, van, SUVs, etc.
If some retard coming on the on-ramp want to jump in front of tractor-trailer instead of yielding, their dumb-**** can get owned by tractor-trailer.
Obviously, you are not even close to being a truck driver. People that sit here and post stupid comments about how aggressive trucks are, don't have a clue. Cars are far worse than trucks. How many truck drivers drive and text or go 80 mph up the interstate. Not very many. Why? Many companies have governed their trucks to go anywhere from 62 to 70 mph to save fuel. however, cars are constantly going far past the speed limit.
I agree with the other person who said that if you are riding in the left lane, you are in and out of his blind spot. Pee or get off the pot. Either way, move your ###.
I believe its not the truck drivers that need to be more considerate, its the cars.
You should stop crying about truck drivers and open your eyes to be thankful no one got hurt. People make mistakes, this person just happened to be a truck driver. Don't label everyone truck driver bad just because one made a mistake.

P.S. If you didnt put it together, I am a truck driver.
buyerbeware

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Aug 21, 2012
Amy McMahon wrote:
<quoted text>
No not a tractor trailer driver, just a motorist who pays more attention to the road and traffic than my cell phone.
BTW, if your braking distanc eis a mile, then your reaction time or your brakes need work. I would have seen the truck's signals and EXPECTED it to pull out. I would have seen it coming a long way off, and reacted quicker.
60 MPH = 88 fps.(fps=1.467 * MPH). If the vehicle deceleration rate is 20 fpsps (rather than the previously calculated 15 fps), then stopping time = 88/20 = 4.4 seconds. Since there is a 1 second delay (driver reaction time) in hitting your brakes (both recognition and reaction time is often 2 seconds), the total time to stop is 5.4 seconds to 6.4 seconds.

To determine how far the vehicle will travel while braking, use the formula of 1/2 the initial velocity multiplied by the time required to stop. In this case, this works out to be .5 * 88 * 4.4 = 193.6 feet, plus a reaction time of either 88 feet for a second delay in reaction time, or 176 feet for two seconds reaction time. That yields 281.6 feet or 369.6 when added to the base stopping distance of 193.6 feet. If the driver is very responsive and takes only a half a second to react, the distance is reduced to 237.6 feet. Notice that the reaction time is a huge factor since it is at initial velocity.

No matter how you calculate it, taking anything over 1300 feet (quarter of mile) means you are REALLY slow.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

IGN Entertainment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Guide: Rise and fall of China's Zhou Yongkang Dec 7 Kid_Tomorrow 1
N is for nuptials as NYC pair weds on subway train Nov 29 Fumblementalist 1
Deer pays startling visit to New York homeowner Nov '14 Lawrence Wolf 4
Holness blames politics for impeding fight agai... Nov '14 Blacktigershark 2
Rosie O'Donnell and Whoopi Goldberg already cla... Nov '14 disgusted 8
Obama Goes West To Win Oct '14 CA-WeCantStandObama 1
Reports: China body-searched 10,000 pigeons Oct '14 DEMOCRACY for CHINA 14
More from around the web