Sick of IT

Warwick, RI

#42 Feb 9, 2012
Agree hostess worker! First Alvarez then Chung and now Driscoll All those millions given to three men and their cronies! SICK OF IT! My family has lost several thousands in income and healthcare over the past 7 years and could or probably will lose more! We are just 1 family of the 19,000 Hostess employee families!
route man fl

Largo, FL

#43 Feb 10, 2012
heard today bimbo in negotiations to buy interstate bakeries in fla.Flowers dont need them.they are to old pus plantcity bakery is not even running at 60%.Flowers might be interested in ther cake line, but thats about it.FLOWERS now more woried about pushing tastee kake line bought last spring.They alread have cake routes up and running. sar lee needs bakery in fla because ther bread is now brought in from out of state.Know alot of drivers with interstate,and fill bad for them.they work alot of hrs and making 500 a wk.
justis nc worker

Greenville, NC

#44 Feb 11, 2012
ddc wrote:
i hope you dont think this is just wonder being run this way most are done like this the company just wants more and more out of you almost no family time and you do it for less and less each year while management rakes it in i also work for one of the major companies i hope they all go under it would serve them right i as well as most have had enough
So true you work every weekend you don't have 2 straight days off and you subject to the "we running straight thru" mantra during your shift which means 12 hour shifts till they say so. How about "we shorthanded so no day off request will be approved until further notice" and futher notice never comes
Holsum eater

Texarkana, AR

#45 Feb 18, 2012
Please STRIKE! Don't let that judge push you around. Regardless of who buys what portion of Hostess Brands, Most salemans jobs will be safe. The buying company would hire all of the good salesmen. Unless your One of the sorry ones, what are you worried about? If you are one of the sorry ones, you need to be in another line of work anyways. Being a bread man is not a job, it's a way of life, and the sad truth is, not everyone has what it takes to be a bread man. Any idiot can put cake & bread on a shelf. Only a select few have the talent to be a salesman.

And Yes, I already know which ones of you, I'm going to hire, and which ones I'm going to pass up.
concerned citizen

Mount Juliet, TN

#46 Feb 18, 2012
My friend works for Merita in Knoxville. His pay is about $430 a week. When she was informed of the bankruptcy filing, I called the employee number they handed out that was supposed to address our questions. I asked, "What do mean by 'stay competitive in a global market'?" "Wal-Mart & McDonalds competitive?" The person replied, "I cannot speak of the exact plans, but it will all come out in the wash." She gets a day off, works three more, then another. In an Knox News Article unrelated to IBC in any way, they stated that a person needs to make $13.47 an hour to pay the most basic bills. Thats my friends case, She barely gets by. It seems to me that the corporations of America, along with politicians, are taking steps to Enslave ALL working Americans, putting us all in the minimum wage category. The only way to solve these problems is to return to all the rights our grandparents fought for. Small Business, equal rights. I have personally taken steps to avoid supporting corporations. "We the People" seems mythical now.
36 years

Albuquerque, NM

#47 Mar 12, 2012
The suits arn't the ones killing this company. It's the truck drivers making $100,00 a year and union route-men making 22% commission that are killing this company.
Hostess worker

Cabot, AR

#48 Mar 12, 2012
36 years--- you are crazy. Got to be a suit yourself. No doubt.
Frank Rizzo

United States

#49 Mar 13, 2012
Doughboy wrote:
IBC Plants are too out dated for anyone to purchase the company. Hefty pensions and super high costs for healthcare has brought this and many other companies down. Look at Sara Lee Baking Group, they were on the same track until Bimbo Baking bought them. Why is Bimbo Baking so successful? Smart Management, Independent Operator structure limits expensive healthcare and pensions. You have to invest and keep updating plants and be innovative, Bimbo is the only baking company bringing new products to the market. But then everyone else keeps trying to copy them. Bimbo has the vision and expertise that no one else has. Wonder if their hiring?
To remain competitive you must re-invest in your company to streamline your operations and up grade your manufacturing capacity. Hostess has not been able to do that for many years. There are numerous reasons, one of which there has been gross miscalculations and this company has had the yoke of the Unions around their throat. The problems are not one-sided by either the company nor the unions, but rather a shared responsibility by both sides. My feeling is, that it is difficult to run a manufacturing facility period in this country and that is why over the years we have seen outsourcing to other countries.
twinkette

Woodbury, NJ

#50 Mar 13, 2012
Well Mr Rizzo most companies outsource to other countries because they only have to pay there employees in others countries about $2.00 a day. It is difficult to run a manufacturing facility in this country because the big companies don't want to follow the rules in the US. The higher ups want all the money and want to pay there workers peanuts. I don't care who you are or what kind of education you have nobody is worth the millions that the higher ups think they deserve.If just one CEO took about a 1/3 of a pay cut and put it back into there business we would see a lot of companies still in the US and doing well, but we won't see that happen because they just might have to give up one of there vaction houses.
cunjun59 at o7

Saint Louis, MO

#51 Mar 14, 2012
well i've read most of your cooments and to all my
labor brothers and sisters this is it. to the drivers for hostess brands if you find your truck or trailer unsafe or unfit you have to put it out of commision. yes i know hostess brands or intersate brands has and is uncomplient to federal law and state law. as a driver and iam a driver dont get caught driving a unsafe truck and trailer or get caught avoiding scale house those fines we pay not company we have no excuse if we are pulled over or just caught. dont let ibc or hostess tell you, you have to drive it or take it no you dont, and yes this company is going under they moved the chocalte refinery to canada from st. louis while in st.louis it was a money maker why did they move it to canada why please some one tell me with logic and wisdome. start job appalying now yes i know they want cheap labor thats how they go out for good cheap then blame labor force for there demise thats the co. way they dont care about anything but there pay and bonuses that is it!!!!!
Hostess worker

Cabot, AR

#52 Mar 14, 2012
Rizzo, We gave concessions on last bankruptcy. We are still paying these concessions through payroll deductions. We have had our hours cut. Working 4 hours a day doesn't even pay for gas. They have outsourced office work overseas. We gave------they did not. Upper management lost nothing they just seem to keep taking million dollar plus salaries. What more can you expect us to give? The only reinvesting they seem to do is into their own pockets. Oh and by the way----just so you know our pension that they hve not paid since last July-that is our hourly wages they are taking. That is money that we gave up for pension years ago. In case you are wondering how much we make---$13.03 per hour 4 hours per day WooHoo, go figure.
Madhead22

Scranton, PA

#53 Mar 25, 2012
ive worked for a few companies thru the yrs including Ibc , distribution was horrible ,middle management was blind , and routes were so spread out that it was difficulkt to hit all stops within a 10-12 hour day , i feel the union was to blame for this. looking at the bread and cake routes tht are running in my current area ibc can easily fold these routein two and continue to prosper. the promblem is that drivers are so afraid of change they have there shop stewards on speeed dial.Get rid of union and get rid of drivers that are so old they delivered bread to the last supper...THERE IS NO PLACE FOR UNION IN A COMMISION BASED SALARY IT HINDERS THE OBJECTIVE OF SELLING PRODUCT.ill continue moniter this comment section and will be able to give exaplies of things ive seen that i believe help lead to IBCs demise
IBC Employee

Long Beach, WA

#54 Mar 26, 2012
Madhead22 wrote:
ive worked for a few companies thru the yrs including Ibc , distribution was horrible ,middle management was blind , and routes were so spread out that it was difficulkt to hit all stops within a 10-12 hour day , i feel the union was to blame for this. looking at the bread and cake routes tht are running in my current area ibc can easily fold these routein two and continue to prosper. the promblem is that drivers are so afraid of change they have there shop stewards on speeed dial.Get rid of union and get rid of drivers that are so old they delivered bread to the last supper...THERE IS NO PLACE FOR UNION IN A COMMISION BASED SALARY IT HINDERS THE OBJECTIVE OF SELLING PRODUCT.ill continue moniter this comment section and will be able to give exaplies of things ive seen that i believe help lead to IBCs demise
Mr.Rayburn, oh ooops I mean Madhead 22, can you at least give us all a hint on how much bonus money you will be receiving if you get the Unions out of Hostess?
Hostess worker

Cabot, AR

#55 Mar 26, 2012
Madhead22 wrote:
Madhead-- Who are you to tell us how to do our job? That's the problem with this company----------too many Cheifs, not enough Indians. People like you that don't know what you are talking about running this company. You surely know nothing about unions because we, the employees, make our unions strong, not the BA's or stewards. If the company would follow the contracts instead of breaking the contracts we would all be a lot better off. Kind of odd that company files bankruptcy when contracts are expiring from last bankruptcy. We gave concessions, they did not.
breadman69

Chepachet, RI

#56 Mar 27, 2012
Half the problem are the wonder clowns attitude towards the job. Come on, they are the ones who invented the saying "skip a bunch and be home in time for lunch. The wonder bread guy in my area sucks, just like I've seen in other territories. It seems like these union jerks haven't really cared about their jobs for a long time, or else they'd be doing a better job. Honestly, I've been destroying the competition for years. All some of these guys do is complain, complain, complain! Do the job to the best of your ability then go home. besides Sara Lee will be the demise of wonder bread. Looks like they will be going to Bimbo to buy routes, once their ship finally sinks. I think over time that Sara lee will be the new leader in bread sales and wonder will just .......Fade away....
Bob

Fort Worth, TX

#57 Mar 27, 2012
I Work at Wonder 18 Years . Was a prestige company in 1987-2000. And then recipies in the bread change all that starting with Homepride and then Wonder Big white loaf . Bad decisions by management and no new ideals and products is what finally happen to this once great company. Still hope
Farmboy

Saint Paul, MN

#58 Mar 28, 2012
The reason many of our RSR's aren't as good as the competitions are numerous. Some is training, some is work ethic of the people we hire, and some is lack of oversight. In the Twin Cities, our competition has mgmt. people on the market all the time, they see and know where our weak links are and exploit them. They also see where the good reps are and recruit them. That's how I ended up going to the competition starting next week. There ARE people who are willing to work and do the job the right way, just not nearly enough of them.
Another reason for the way we are being buried on some parts of the market is the total lack of unity between management and the rank and file. There are no common goals except to get to the next payday. No vision, no sense of direction. Add to that the fact that after the last two rounds of concessions, they want to take even more! After 26 years and alot of soul searching, I have chosen to leave the company and go where there is reinvestment in the company and expectations of the sales force...Good Luck to those who stay behind!
doughboy

Rochester, MN

#59 Apr 6, 2012
well stated Farmboy, must be going to Bimbo/Sara Lee. There the only company with management actually in the market daily. Very well run and the leadership in Minnesota is top notch and very well respected. I know one of them when he was in the Rochester area several years ago.

Big news coming, we are losing all PL in our largest chain here in Minnesota - we're done here in Rochester when it happens. Guess where it's going? Time for me to reachout to that manager from the past in hopes of joining his team.
bread slinger

Tucson, AZ

#60 Apr 11, 2012
Ask anyone in Arizona: Flowers is the absolute worst!! They have taken Holsum and turned happy route men into the most unhappy bread vendors out there. Ordering by full tray only, 4 day code, no holidays off....the worst day at IBC is still better than working for Flowers.
Nc BunnyMan wrote:
Come on and start applying with Flowers Bakery....we'll show you how to sell bread and be successful ! Union Free !! I'm smart enough that I don't need some kind of union telling me what to do. If I wanna make more money....then I just learn how to sell more and be productive on the market. Talk is being rumored that 2012 is the end of the world according to the Mayan calendar....I believe they had Hostess on their brain back then. Flowers Bakery will be one standing in line to fight to buy the company. I won't have any problem selling Merita or Wonder bread and making 22% commission.
flowers guy

North Port, FL

#61 Apr 14, 2012
YES SIR FLOWERS GUYS WORK THERE ASS OFF BUT MAKE GOOD MONEY. I VE BEEN ON A FLOWERS ROUTE FOR 8 YEARS IN FLORIDA. ALL THE DRIVERS HERE MAKE AN AVERAGE OF 1500.00 A WEEK. I MAKE A BIT MORE BUT I ALSO SELL AN AVERAGE OF 18000.00 A WEEK. I ALSO WORK SEVEN DAYS A WEEK ]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Interstate Bakeries Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Twinkies still on the table: Judge orders Hoste... (Nov '12) Jan '14 corey 93
Court approves sale of last of core Hostess assets (Jun '13) Dec '13 corey 5
New Hostess owner prepares to re-start Ga. plant (Jun '13) Dec '13 Frisbee 65
Your union (Oct '13) Oct '13 FORMER UNION FOOL 2
Where will Hostess Brands pull out of next? (Sep '11) Jul '13 crazy 59
Homicides in Newport News, 2007 (Nov '07) Jul '13 she was my bff 11
Twinkies could be back on store shelves by summer (Apr '13) May '13 Dude 10
More from around the web