BCTGM Strike Vote Wednesday

There are 176 comments on the Emporia Gazette story from May 11, 2012, titled BCTGM Strike Vote Wednesday. In it, Emporia Gazette reports that:

Sources say the local Bakery Confections, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union that are employed at the Emporia Dolly Madison plant will have a strike vote Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Emporia Gazette.

crazy

Dallas, GA

#101 Oct 22, 2012
Annoyed wrote:
Maybe life is unfair sometimes Max, but I really don't think this is about life being unfair. I can see why many of you would be upset about pay cuts and everthing else. However what I don't understand is if people don't agree with what the company is doing, why strike? Why not just quit and find another job somewhere else? If you strike you will all most likely be out of jobs anyways, so let the people who want to keep their job keep it, and it's time for those who don't just to move on!
''annoyed we do this for you,your children,and future.this corp.greed needs to stop.Its about more than pay cuts,our insurance is going higher with less coverage.we will be paying for spouse,dependants.we will be working 50-60 hrs a week for ins.and a loaf of bread.Go cook ur husband dinner...I say strike,strike.take keys with you.....
HostessWife

Salt Lake City, UT

#102 Oct 22, 2012
You have no idea how "good" , for lack of better words, you have it at Hostess in regards to insurance. At the company I work for, a family pays over $600 a month to have the exact same coverage that Hostess provides.
Explain how losing your job and not being eligible for unemployment is better than having a paycheck to feed your children with? How will you pay your bills with no income? Are you going to be proud to tell your next employer that your stubborn, arrogant ass was responsible for the unemployment of over 18,000 people! Or will you have your integrity in tact and LIE?
Experience has shown me that most of you employees in the snack food business only know the snack food business. If you were qualified to be a top executive somewhere, you surely wouldn't be working where you are right now. So where do you plan on taking your skills where someone will NOT know the story of Hostess?
You and all the other strikers would be better off doing a half ass job everyday and get fired. THEN you might qualify for unemployment and can move on. You are not doing this for my children! You are doing this for your own angry hurt pride!!!Just please let the rest who want to make it through the holidays and keep roofs over our heads do so.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#103 Oct 22, 2012
Are they doing the slowly warm the pan so the frog doesn't know he's getting cooked?
crazy

Dallas, GA

#104 Oct 22, 2012
Hostess pay cuts baked for today
• By JOSH KOSMAN
• Last Updated: 11:48 PM, October 21, 2012
• Posted: 10:46 PM, October 21, 2012
Unionized workers at bankrupt Hostess Brands will have an 8 percent pay cut imposed on them starting today, the company said in a letter mailed last week to its drivers, bakers and other employees.
The pay cuts at America’s largest bakery reflect the company’s latest pay package — which the Teamsters accepted but the Bakers Union rejected, only to see Hostess gain court approval to force it upon them.
In an apparent strategy move, Hostess is not seeking to implement the pay cut on all its 6,000 bakers at once, The Post has learned.
Instead, Hostess is rolling out the cuts to the roughly 30 independently-run union shops local-by-local over the next 40 days.
The strategy seems aimed at keeping bakers at all 36 bakeries across the country from striking at once — a move that would likely cripple the maker of Twinkies and Wonder bread.
Under their last collective bargaining contract, the Bakers Union can strike only if a new pay package is forced upon them.
“If the members strike [in some locals], that bakery will either be back-filled by replacement workers or shut down entirely,” a Hostess Teamsters worker told The Post in a recent interview.“Managers would be sent from other bakeries to bakeries that do strike.”
Hostess flatly denied replacement workers would be used.“Striking plants will be closed and will not be kept open with replacement workers,” a company spokesman said in statement.“The only remaining personnel will be a small team to close, clean and secure the facility.”
Hostess CEO Gregory Rayburn, in his letter to employees receiving the pay cuts, laid out more bad news.
“If you participate in a Taft-Hartley health and welfare benefit plan, the company’s portion of the contribution will be reduced by 17 percent.”
see how dumn they think we are.I SAY STRIKE STRIKE NATIONWIDE......
Rosa the fairy

Knoxville, TN

#105 Oct 23, 2012
Oh, crazy! Now I know why, thank you for the info. I'm in the process of searching out all hostess facilities and seeking Union reps at each one. It may take a week or so, but Im doing everything I can to make contact with reps at each and every hostess bakery. Then I will contact BCTGM personally, and question where our representation has been and why they are allowing Rayburn to use the equivilant of Lameduck tactics. We may have to mobilize on our own.
crazy

Dallas, GA

#106 Oct 23, 2012
Rosa the fairy wrote:
Oh, crazy! Now I know why, thank you for the info. I'm in the process of searching out all hostess facilities and seeking Union reps at each one. It may take a week or so, but Im doing everything I can to make contact with reps at each and every hostess bakery. Then I will contact BCTGM personally, and question where our representation has been and why they are allowing Rayburn to use the equivilant of Lameduck tactics. We may have to mobilize on our own.
'.Rosa the fairy'our boss meet his boss today to discuss closing one of the thrift stores here we only have two in Atlanta area.I faxed that letter I posted, to union today.The store their talking about closing has two union members the other one has no union people.what a dirty company...
crazy

Dallas, GA

#107 Oct 23, 2012
http://bctgm.org/2012/03/januaryfebruary-2012...
Read what president of union said back in march of this year about this company and sugar companys...look what they have done to the sugar workers its time we took back the work force of these companys...enough is enough...
max

Hollywood, FL

#108 Oct 24, 2012
crazy wrote:
Hostess pay cuts baked for today
• By JOSH KOSMAN
• Last Updated: 11:48 PM, October 21, 2012
• Posted: 10:46 PM, October 21, 2012
Unionized workers at bankrupt Hostess Brands will have an 8 percent pay cut imposed on them starting today, the company said in a letter mailed last week to its drivers, bakers and other employees.
The pay cuts at America’s largest bakery reflect the company’s latest pay package — which the Teamsters accepted but the Bakers Union rejected, only to see Hostess gain court approval to force it upon them.
In an apparent strategy move, Hostess is not seeking to implement the pay cut on all its 6,000 bakers at once, The Post has learned.
Instead, Hostess is rolling out the cuts to the roughly 30 independently-run union shops local-by-local over the next 40 days.
The strategy seems aimed at keeping bakers at all 36 bakeries across the country from striking at once — a move that would likely cripple the maker of Twinkies and Wonder bread.
Under their last collective bargaining contract, the Bakers Union can strike only if a new pay package is forced upon them.
“If the members strike [in some locals], that bakery will either be back-filled by replacement workers or shut down entirely,” a Hostess Teamsters worker told The Post in a recent interview.“Managers would be sent from other bakeries to bakeries that do strike.”
Hostess flatly denied replacement workers would be used.“Striking plants will be closed and will not be kept open with replacement workers,” a company spokesman said in statement.“The only remaining personnel will be a small team to close, clean and secure the facility.”
Hostess CEO Gregory Rayburn, in his letter to employees receiving the pay cuts, laid out more bad news.
“If you participate in a Taft-Hartley health and welfare benefit plan, the company’s portion of the contribution will be reduced by 17 percent.”
see how dumn they think we are.I SAY STRIKE STRIKE NATIONWIDE......
My question is why do they have to wait to strike at each facility as the enforced contract is implemented? It seems to me the entire BCT could strike at once if they implement the contract anywhere. The criteria would be met as they are implementing the forced concessions. The loophole being "forced" vs agreed upon. If the company can do it this way and the BCT can only respond on a cases by case basis then the company has won. We will know soon whether or not the company is in bed with the union. They will implement the cuts in the plants that they want to close first. If they strike they get to close them sooner. Playing the shell game!
crazy

Dallas, GA

#109 Oct 24, 2012
max wrote:
<quoted text>
My question is why do they have to wait to strike at each facility as the enforced contract is implemented? It seems to me the entire BCT could strike at once if they implement the contract anywhere. The criteria would be met as they are implementing the forced concessions. The loophole being "forced" vs agreed upon. If the company can do it this way and the BCT can only respond on a cases by case basis then the company has won. We will know soon whether or not the company is in bed with the union. They will implement the cuts in the plants that they want to close first. If they strike they get to close them sooner. Playing the shell game!
Max,I agree,but if we strike nationwide,that would do it,wait till this hits all bakery's these people will really be pissed hitting in south now.were ready waiting on nationwide.We had enough of this bullsh--.strike...
rosa the fairy

Knoxville, TN

#110 Oct 27, 2012
crazy wrote:
<quoted text>Max,I agree,but if we strike nationwide,that would do it,wait till this hits all bakery's these people will really be pissed hitting in south now.were ready waiting on nationwide.We had enough of this bullsh--.strike...
Oh Crazy... The knox Union is taking our strike vote November 1st. Apparently, the contract says that if they decide our concessions are not enough, they can come back and take even more. Under the circumstances, they can keep coming back until theyve dropped our pay to minimum wage. I had no luck contacting other hostess plants. Have they fired your office workers like they did at knox? Let's do this together!!! See Ya'll on the picket line. Everybody get with your Unions and lets all take our strike votes and strike at the same time. FYI, they have already brought in some scabs, one worker vamped and we just found out he used a fake SS number. They are trying to replace us with illegal immigrants. I have a feeling its because they don't even have to pay them minimum wage. Lets take them down. They're screwing us and trying to take advantage of immigrants. What's next, Children? Wal-Mart, China.
Hostess, F%$K Off!!! Let's get them crazy...
xoxo

Bronx, NY

#111 Oct 27, 2012
Richmond Branch requested a shipment of extra bread for hurricane this weekend ,Rocky, Mount said No a chance to make money and they say No what the F.....k. Store,s asking you got extra we say no they didn,t want to send us any . If they don,t want to do business say so.
Unknown

West Chester, OH

#112 Oct 28, 2012
Cincinnati will strike, the hell with the company and their greedyness. The company supervisor didn't get no raises, but, they got a extra 5 weeks vacation. With pay. We all have to strike. Stand strong. The teamster were to week.
ILL IBC

Lincoln, IL

#113 Oct 28, 2012
XO, your right. If they requested needed product it should have been made available, no matter what. Here again is an example of how this company is mismanaged.
Hopefully we and that means all rank and file will put this company to rest. If on the chance they do survive though it won't last we will have to fight for everything we get and to hold on to what we have.
If they come out, Crazy, we will need to talk and I will let you know how to be a major thorn in their side.
To change things here, we will have to work togethr and stand together.
Union Strong.
kc boy

Independence, MO

#114 Oct 29, 2012
if we do stike and they close we should be eliblie for unempoment as long as they close the doors they need to to close becuse it is the same peploe running it now that put us in backucy the first time i say close the doors and see how mr raybun likes being out of a paycheck

Since: Nov 09

Hudson,IL

#115 Oct 29, 2012
First the management did not get an extra 5 weeks vacation, they did get 4 personal days.
As to Mr. Rayburn being without a check, since he isn't with the co. he just moves on to the next troubled company and does what he did here, allow those that should never be in charge remain in charge and continue to ruin the company and the employees lives.
STRIKE!!! Close her down we may be without jobs but so will those who put us here and they will have a harder time than we will.
STRIKE!!
rosa the fairy

Knoxville, TN

#116 Oct 29, 2012
Everybody check out my new thread. Since the judge approved contract abatement, they have fired all of our union reps. We have two left and I'm not sure they even know how to file a grievance. Its a salary list showing people being paid anywhere from $65,000 dollars a month to hourly rates ranging from $895 to $210 an hour!
ILL IBC

Bloomington, IL

#117 Oct 29, 2012
Amazing isn't it rosa. We pay attny. 3500.00 for a half hour phone call.
xoxo

Richmond, VA

#118 Oct 31, 2012
Hostess has got to be the worst ran company to date. How you gonna cut your employees wages and expect a 100% out of us you will never get it morale is already down from last wage deduction you just added fuel to a fire that never went out you will get less work less hrs put in on these bullcrap routes all product will be pickuped by first date not thrift store date anyway we can think of to cost you money we will you hostess brands bastards got some nerve. IT,S ON MOTHERF..KERS
xoxo

Richmond, VA

#119 Oct 31, 2012
Anyone knows Greg Rayburn approval rating?
Had enough

North Easton, MA

#120 Nov 4, 2012
We have been told if the Bakers go on strike that they will get product to us. We will not cross any picket line and we told them that, their response was we will get the trucks out to you LOL this management is really a joke. Also they continue to paint 25 yotrucks at a cost of around $4000.00 each, and now they have purchased new computers and printers for the salesman all set and ready to go for Jan.Oh yeah great check this week along with the 8% cut in pay, the deduction for insurance cost $61.20. No offer of a single or family plan. Great company

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Interstate Bakeries Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IBC being bought out??? Rumors or Facts ? (Nov '11) Mar '15 Bimbo 139
News Twinkies still on the table: Judge orders Hoste... (Nov '12) Jan '14 corey 93
News Court approves sale of last of core Hostess assets (Jun '13) Dec '13 corey 5
News New Hostess owner prepares to re-start Ga. plant (Jun '13) Dec '13 Frisbee 65
Your union (Oct '13) Oct '13 FORMER UNION FOOL 2
Where will Hostess Brands pull out of next? (Sep '11) Jul '13 crazy 59
News Homicides in Newport News, 2007 (Nov '07) Jul '13 she was my bff 11
More from around the web