Embracing the real Vallejo

Occasionally I play "Rosie the Receptionist" in my husband's office. But that is only when I can take time away from my own business in property management. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Paperback Writer

Vallejo, CA

#1 Aug 22, 2010
This letter is completely silly in my opinion. We DO have a growing violent crime problem in this town, people ARE scared, maybe not in Paula's neighborhood, but every day some innocent is subjected to the random and bold criminality in VTown(ugh!).
DHH

San Diego, CA

#2 Aug 22, 2010
This writer has her head in the sand, even in southern California Vallejo has a reputation, sad but true kinda like Compton or Oakland, very sad Vallejo was a great city before all the thugs and ghettoness.
hollywood squares

Vallejo, CA

#3 Aug 22, 2010
maybe rosie has dipped her wig in the dye vat one too many times?
David Corbett

Vallejo, CA

#4 Aug 22, 2010
As the first three comments demonstrate, not all the negativity comes from outside, which is one of the other problems of this town. Yeah, crime's on an uptick, here and in a lot of other poor communities, but the shrieking hysteria that's resulted is bogus. This town's major problem is poor political leadership from mayors and council members wedded to powerful unions and other stakeholders who see Vallejo as a money trough, not a community. I second all the positive things said in this letter, and I'm sending it to as many people as I can. Let the naysayers drown in their own bile.
GlitterDome

United States

#5 Aug 22, 2010
I always felt pretty safe growing up in Vallejo. I remember the Rodney King verdict... I knew there wouldn't be a riot in Vallejo. Vallejo's destruction is b/c, to me, those fat cat department heads making 6 figures and living out of town who care less about making Vallejo a better place. They are arrogant and look down on Vallejo's community. Not to mention they have not progress to the 21st century yet.

I am very familiar with other local city and county governmant; it bothers me that Vallejo can't make anything happen.
james b dandy

Vallejo, CA

#6 Aug 22, 2010
David Corbett wrote:
As the first three comments demonstrate, not all the negativity comes from outside, which is one of the other problems of this town. Yeah, crime's on an uptick, here and in a lot of other poor communities, but the shrieking hysteria that's resulted is bogus. This town's major problem is poor political leadership from mayors and council members wedded to powerful unions and other stakeholders who see Vallejo as a money trough, not a community. I second all the positive things said in this letter, and I'm sending it to as many people as I can. Let the naysayers drown in their own bile.
no one is shreiking david, are you going to stay as self or alter to continue backing this dreamers solutions. by the way, who is "we", and how do we get "them" to be one of "us", who are you anyway?
james b dandy

Vallejo, CA

#7 Aug 22, 2010
GlitterDome wrote:
I always felt pretty safe growing up in Vallejo. I remember the Rodney King verdict... I knew there wouldn't be a riot in Vallejo. Vallejo's destruction is b/c, to me, those fat cat department heads making 6 figures and living out of town who care less about making Vallejo a better place. They are arrogant and look down on Vallejo's community. Not to mention they have not progress to the 21st century yet.
I am very familiar with other local city and county governmant; it bothers me that Vallejo can't make anything happen.
that's right, dome, it's the very same ones that have been the nucleus of all mis- and mal-feasance, for many, many years, in my opinion.
outsiders

Vallejo, CA

#8 Aug 22, 2010
How can you say the Police are spreading fear amongst the city and residents? As a outsider, and ocassional visitor to Vallejo, all I hear from a lot of people in California is how ghetto this place is. You may think that only the local police are spreading fear, but all of California can see your crime statistics. Yes, I do agree there is some beauty here, and can see how this town must have once trived; but, your town is no longer safe without a sufficient size police force. As I drive around this town, I too fear for my life. You must not get out of Vallejo too often, to realize there are much safer cities, with less crime going on, that are much better areas to raise a family. Look how much violent crime has been going on here in the last two weeks alone, and in broad daylight! Without a sufficient Police force, things will only get worse. Why would your best cops want to work here, when their lives are even at risk from a weakened Police force?
vjonative2

Vallejo, CA

#9 Aug 22, 2010
david corbett is an award winning author. he is one of our gems that people here in vallejo are unaware of. please google him and find out what a fine writer he is. he has been very supportive of many events in our community. we are lucky to have him as a resident.
Vallejo voter

Vallejo, CA

#10 Aug 22, 2010
To all those with a negative view of Vallejo, you have your head in the sand. You sit in your chair in front of your computer and write that this city has a crime problem and what, leave it at that? What are you doing to better this city in any way??????? You characterize Ms. McConnell as a person with her head in the sand? There is a beautiful side of Vallejo, and she writes about many of the attributes. Why not be positive, push the positive and focus on the achievements and gifts of this city?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#11 Aug 22, 2010
Paula,

Was this an editorial on how lovely Vallejo really is or just a smoke screen for yet another scapegoating of our police?

"shhh, don't tell anyone that the local police are spending big bucks daily on negative press releases, bill boards and other mechanisms to continue to promote fear-mongering among the folks.

I don't believe for one second that the local police are promoting fear mongering. In fact I believe they are telling it like it is, out of an obligation to be honest to the public.

Only a mere handful of the crimes that are committed in Vallejo ever make it to the partial list that appears in the Times Herald. It's a good thing too or many more of us would be heading for the hills. If you doubt the enormity and extent of the level of crime in Vallejo, all you need to do is purchase an inexpensive police radio frequency scanner. It is a fact, Vzallejo is a dangerous place to live, work and visit.

Our police make it safer, not more dangerous.

“God Bless America”

Since: Mar 10

The Northern Frisco Bay Area

#12 Aug 22, 2010
David Corbett wrote:
Dave, if the negativity as you call it (or calling a spade a spade) from outside (the listed VTH provided location is not always a true reflection) is just telling the truth, why does it figure in your mind to disregard them? Why WOULD it matter from where comes truth? Now, you are spot on in identifying the major part of the problem, that being the poor quality progressive democrat politicians this town traditionally elect, and their continuing failed policies, plus their party's lap dog union elite. I would add to your list the most responsible for this mess source, that being the voters of Vallejo, who continue to vote their party line, and who ultimately reap what they sow.
yes

Vallejo, CA

#13 Aug 22, 2010
the bay area in general is seeing crime rising. crime does tend to rise during tough economic times like now. Vallejo is not alone. look at the news BS all over this MF

“God Bless America”

Since: Mar 10

The Northern Frisco Bay Area

#14 Aug 22, 2010
Samuel Kurshan wrote:
Paula,
Was this an editorial on how lovely Vallejo really is or just a smoke screen for yet another scapegoating of our police?
"shhh, don't tell anyone that the local police are spending big bucks daily on negative press releases, bill boards and other mechanisms to continue to promote fear-mongering among the folks.
I don't believe for one second that the local police are promoting fear mongering. In fact I believe they are telling it like it is, out of an obligation to be honest to the public.
Only a mere handful of the crimes that are committed in Vallejo ever make it to the partial list that appears in the Times Herald. It's a good thing too or many more of us would be heading for the hills. If you doubt the enormity and extent of the level of crime in Vallejo, all you need to do is purchase an inexpensive police radio frequency scanner. It is a fact, Vzallejo is a dangerous place to live, work and visit.
Our police make it safer, not more dangerous.
God bless our Police officers! Support them! Right now, if the citizens in Vallejo desire to view where the local sexual deviants reside, you can! Why si there not a similar one stop web site whereby We-the-People can view the crime logs of the Vallejo Police Department, as well as the local actives conducted by the Highway Patrol and the Solano County Sherriff? Simple data recording, organized by location, type of crime, time of crime, plus the politically incorrect demographics of the criminals; in other words, cold blooded statistics which We-the-People could view, and come to their own conclusions. Two other items to include; the residences of all local paroles, convicted felons, and where the local cockroach gang bangers hang out, Yo.
Dave Cary

Vallejo, CA

#15 Aug 22, 2010
Dear Paula,

I have mixed feelings about your letter. First, I love that you, like I, really love this town and our mix of people. In fact, it was a big reason we moved here. We wanted our children to grow up in a community where they could make friends with kids from all kinds of different backgrounds.

I also, believe Vallejoans will help out and pitch in - if they believe in a project, program or effort. We see that all the time in youth sports and clean ups like the city park.

That said, Vallejo appears to suffer from a case of Kumbaya problem solving. We pretend real problems don't exist like our failing schools, crime, and the city's structural financial problems.

I've heard people ask why can't we be more like Concord? And, the infamous P word, a city of so much Potential.

So I believe it's time our citizens, stayed optimistic, but also took off the rose colored glasses and started getting involved in real systemic solutions. Verses PR efforts to change the image of our town, we must actually change the bad aspects our town. Then people will believe it and come.

We are working on one such effort, see www.neweraschools.com . You may or not like it. If you do, we would love to have the support of someone as positive minded as yourself.

Keep the faith, but let's all work passionately on the right things.
outsider

Visalia, CA

#16 Aug 23, 2010
N ed Kelly wrote:
<quoted text>
God bless our Police officers! Support them! Right now, if the citizens in Vallejo desire to view where the local sexual deviants reside, you can! Why si there not a similar one stop web site whereby We-the-People can view the crime logs of the Vallejo Police Department, as well as the local actives conducted by the Highway Patrol and the Solano County Sherriff? Simple data recording, organized by location, type of crime, time of crime, plus the politically incorrect demographics of the criminals; in other words, cold blooded statistics which We-the-People could view, and come to their own conclusions. Two other items to include; the residences of all local paroles, convicted felons, and where the local cockroach gang bangers hang out, Yo.
There is a site where you can look at crime statistics. Try this: http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/feature...

Type is your own vallejo address, and review the crime types you want to display. Compare crimes in last 3 days, 7 days, 14 days and 30 days. It is a real eye-opener. You can also check the box show sex offenders.
LCD

Oakland, CA

#17 Aug 25, 2010
I have two things to say about this issue. We must be the change we want to see in the world. When the people lead, the leaders will follow.
Get off your couch and do something for this town beside complain! You will feel better about your self...because you ARE Vallejo. We are each responsible for making our community life better.
Annoying Orange

Vallejo, CA

#18 Aug 31, 2010
Paula, Oh dear Paula. Do you work in downtown Vallejo? I did not think so. This is the worst downtown I have ever seen. The Worst. Have you been a victim? You know what I mean. Have you been shot at, or robbed by an armed gunman, or has your car been broken into, or your house? Have you run into one of those obnoxiousness men who beg for money or females with no teeth asking for sex?

Yeah, Vallejo is a great place. Only in your drunk dreams Paula. Vallejo SUX and so do you for supporting a sinking ship. Enjoy your ghetto and dirty city called Vallejo.
getalifesam

Vallejo, CA

#19 Aug 31, 2010
this is the original letter sammy is responding to. sammy is now a psu apologist. in the past sammy wanted to piss on police officers graves, now he wants them to like him so they use him for their own agenda. sammy is so needy, he willingly plays the tool. poor, sad sammy.
just answer the question

Oakland, CA

#20 Sep 1, 2010
Just another homoloving, illegal alien hireing, limozine liberal who probably has a dog that barks all night and cats that crap in other peoples yards.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

I-play Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I'm in love with my teacher (Jun '09) Jun '13 collins 18
Shraddha takes inspiration from JLo, Beyonce fo... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Rb RECORDS 3
Andy Grammer will 'Keep Your Head Up' to ring i... (Dec '11) Dec '11 Baylee 1
First Person: Golfers ever sure they're no good... (Apr '11) May '11 Herrick Laylin 2
My Pet World: Dog howling at piano playing need... (Apr '11) Apr '11 fred 1
Student of the Week (Jan. 31) (Jan '11) Jan '11 Susana Venegas 1
Lowell RMV traffic a bear for some, a boon for ... (Nov '10) Dec '10 local observer 65

I-play People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE