drivers comment about heartland express

Posted in the Heartland Express Forum

First Prev
of 14
Next Last
travis gregory

Lincoln, NE

#1 Jul 28, 2006
i am currently considering employment with heartland express on the southeast regional fleet i would greatly appreciate any feedback from drivers that currently work for or have worked for heartland in the past. i have found alot of negative reports on the internet about other trucking companies but nothing about heartland thanks for any info be it good or bad .
to heartland express

Adrian, MI

#2 Feb 22, 2007
mr. gregory you may want to pass on that job especially if you have long hair.there certainly has to be better companies than this out there to work for. I am also looking into a trucking company to drive for and heartland lost my vote.there are alot of bad trucking companies out there , is there any good ones left?
driver379

Jay, FL

#3 Oct 31, 2007
Travis, I have been driving for 7 years and have seen a lot in this industry. I am going to work for Heartland. They are more respectful to their drivers than most. Just the fact that they get you home on the majority of weekends says a lot. You can live your life in truckstops or have both a homelife and a career. I'd rather be a professional driver and have a better life than to be a chicken hauler anymore. It's just what you want out of life.
illpalatzo

Marietta, GA

#4 Sep 27, 2008
I do not see much about the negatives of Heartland Express but as a driver I will tell you. Detention pay. None until 8 hours of delay. They will tell you 2 but it is 8, they charge the customer but you do not get it. The mileage they say you will get is a max estimate. Its a 400 mile a day company and in 7 days my max is 2800,1800 is the norm. Factor in loading,unloading,maintenance, and any time not rolling as non revenue. Weekends home may be friday night and leave sunday morning, or home sunday morning and leave tuesday a.m.,weekend is restart of hours. I am a horse and signed on hoping my enthusiasm would bring me 3000+ mile weeks. None yet. Plenty of positives but those negatives are hard to ignore.
YouKnowNothing

Saratoga Springs, NY

#6 Feb 11, 2009
titus wrote:
can I smoke crack and still drive for heartland express???
NO! Heartland Express is a decent company that pays up to(NOTE-UP TO).50/Mi for Northeast Regional (Green Miles),I think they call it fleet.OTR pays a little less but much better than most other OTR carriers.You need at least 1Yr+ recent+verifiable OTR exp. However, YOU can work for Swift and your post shows Phoenix,AZ-Home of Swift Transportation. No problem with them. Just read articles under: Swift Transportation on TOPIX blogs.Check out the article about OP (Overland Park,KS) lawsuit where Swift driver causes accident with Yellow Freight TRK, while on drugs(DUI-includes alcohol/drugs).I think you have a chance with Swift:) Good Luck!
Ex - Heartland driver

Portage, MI

#7 Apr 20, 2009
Hey .. Heartland is a good company if you like being baby sat and having to account for every second of your day.

I worked for them for 6 months, in Southeast regional division,out of Atlanta, GA and only twice received over 2000 miles in a week.

I was unhappy with miles, so gave my notice, and agreed to work for my last week. They ran me all over New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania that week. I ended up in Columbus, OH when my time to get home came up. They told me to empty my truck right there on the spot, six hundred miles from my home terminal. I had to get home by my own means with all my stuff in truck.

I had 100% on time delivery while working for them, and this is how they repaid me. Classy, huh?

Good luck.
Brenda

Albertville, AL

#8 Apr 29, 2009
travis gregory wrote:
i am currently considering employment with heartland express on the southeast regional fleet i would greatly appreciate any feedback from drivers that currently work for or have worked for heartland in the past. i have found alot of negative reports on the internet about other trucking companies but nothing about heartland thanks for any info be it good or bad .
i don't work for heartland but my husband does and it was a good company at first but now all he does is sit and wait he has sat for 24 hrs with nothing to do his 90 days are almost up he was on a good run then they made him give it to another driver going further he got 200 miles out of that load and now he has been sitting since tuesday morning and waiting on a load so i wouldn't recommand going to work for these people
Dave

Lexington, KY

#9 May 1, 2009
Brenda wrote:
<quoted text> i don't work for heartland but my husband does and it was a good company at first but now all he does is sit and wait he has sat for 24 hrs with nothing to do his 90 days are almost up he was on a good run then they made him give it to another driver going further he got 200 miles out of that load and now he has been sitting since tuesday morning and waiting on a load so i wouldn't recommand going to work for these people
Sometimes it is not the company, but 1 driver mananger that can screw things up. Maby if he got a different one thing would improve.

Steven

Atlanta, GA

#10 Jun 3, 2009
Be prepared to sit many hours waiting on their priorty loads that dont go far.Also you will not get paid on the mi you actually dr.And be prepared to bring your truck in for their service arrangements. You will lose plenty of valuable travel time waiting in line at the terminal. Dont count on knowing when you may get6 home until youre there. Good Luck!ectt....
Cyndi

Miami, FL

#11 Jul 28, 2009
Ex - Heartland driver wrote:
Hey .. Heartland is a good company if you like being baby sat and having to account for every second of your day.
I worked for them for 6 months, in Southeast regional division,out of Atlanta, GA and only twice received over 2000 miles in a week.
I was unhappy with miles, so gave my notice, and agreed to work for my last week. They ran me all over New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania that week. I ended up in Columbus, OH when my time to get home came up. They told me to empty my truck right there on the spot, six hundred miles from my home terminal. I had to get home by my own means with all my stuff in truck.
I had 100% on time delivery while working for them, and this is how they repaid me. Classy, huh?
Good luck.
My husband completely had the same experience. They will send you out and ask you to find your way home. It is quite inhumane. They don't even care and yes, they lie about their home time. To last there, you have to be a zombie. Just do as they say and not as they do.
frances

AOL

#12 Jul 30, 2009
My husband works for heartland and like said they are good to you starting out. He has been with them for 4 years. This past year he has had to have surgey due to a nerve in his heart.He was off for 3 mounts over it.Now his doc wants him to have more test b c it is starting to act up again [hes feeling like he is going to pass out pains going down his arms]. Doc wants more test thinking it may be clot and has put him off work till test is done .Now heartland is wanting to put him out of system {terminate}Knowing his test is in 4 days and telling him they are giving him 2 days or this will happen.Its relly something they care about there drivers like this. Knowing what they put up with day by day no miles sitting all day and in your time of need they show true colors .
michael

Tarboro, NC

#13 Aug 19, 2009
it all comes down to this drivers.. i been driving for 32+ yrs, logged over 3 million miles, drove some for union companies and non-union. I perfer union anyday. also. my advice, do not drive for Epes transport greensboro, n.c. they are prejudice, and very racial..alot of drugs, pay piss dr off to pass black drivers, they want all blacks working for them, that ok, i just wish i was white so i wouldn/t have to kiss ass with dm. and HR dept. thanks for letting me vent. i heard some good things about heartland and from their drivers. GO HAWKEYES!///
Jack

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Jan 24, 2010
These comments sound pretty generic to me. They could apply to most of the truckload carriers out there. It's then nature of the beast!
ElectricFence

Vista, CA

#15 Feb 2, 2010
I worked for Heartland Express until April of 2007, I had to take care of my mother after my father died. My mother has pasted on since. I really wish I could get back on with the SouthWestern Div. It was great working for them. Their new policy will not allow me to come back due to my employment lapse. What butt wad comes up with such policies? I feel I was a great employee. I kept my biatching to a minimum and always aswered the call. I did what you are suppose to do, take care of your parents they took care of you.
john

Walled Lake, MI

#16 Feb 14, 2010
i worked for heartland for 1.5yrs,during that time i saw many drivers quit and left strandewd at one of there terminals far far away from there homes.i left the company due to incorrect pay,very limited time home(once every 3-4 weeks),my job was threatened mant times,they held my last pay check and cancellede my insurance on the spot(which both are against the labor laws).i currently have a law suit against them-they were audited for the qualmbox and said they some how erased all the dispatchs,little did they know that i kept ALL of the original paperwork,needless to say its been since 2008(december) and the case is still going on,so yea heartland lies very much.
Hermes

Lexington, KY

#18 May 26, 2010
I there I got more than 5 year exp. local n long distance...I would like to know what company got the best rare of mile n. pay for mille I search for a lot of Company already but always hear only bad thing about them...Could please someone give me a good advantage of what is the best company today to work for
Burlington ky, Herme
andrew

Palestine, TX

#19 Aug 9, 2010
All above is true they lie about hometime say they have miles my average was 1200 not 2500 to 3000 like I was told it would be. Do not pay 50per mile. Cant idle trucks {dont give a damn if u freeze or roastto death}so you dont get proper rest but still have to run.Com pany wasnt bad to work for till son took over from father then it went to crap. ex driver after 5yrs with them. drivers thst have been wiyh longer also quitting.
Bruce

Spanish Fork, UT

#20 Aug 11, 2010
titus wrote:
can I smoke crack and still drive for heartland express???
Dude! You "crack" me up!
ken

United States

#22 Aug 31, 2010
Wow i was just offered a position in their n/e regional division but the way these comments are going I don't even know now
RICAN

Lakeland, FL

#23 Sep 23, 2010
travis gregory wrote:
DONT DO IT THEY ARE THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR IN 10YRS THEY CHEAP PEOPLE OUT OF MILES AND THERES IS A FIGHT TO GET HOME

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Heartland Express Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Heartland Express to replace onboard computing ... (Sep '10) Nov '15 Hrtlnd drvr 6
Poll My name is Angela Howser & I Oct '15 Angela Howser 0
Student driver (Oct '15) Oct '15 Geardogjoe 2
job at heartland 2013? good or bad (Sep '13) Jan '15 driver leaving soon 3
Good help is hard to find but cheap is easy (Oct '13) Oct '13 Gaerdogjoe 1
News Heartland Express Adds Trucks, Revenue Hits $13... (May '12) May '12 Dave 1
News Most Fleets Report Positive 1Q Numbers (Apr '12) Apr '12 Low Paid Driver s... 1
More from around the web