Harris: Conversion to digital will co...

Harris: Conversion to digital will cost TV stations about $500,...

There are 7 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Feb 18, 2008, titled Harris: Conversion to digital will cost TV stations about $500,.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

The digital TV conversion "revolution" will cost about $500,000 in upgrades for each of the nation's television broadcasting stations, according to Melbourne -based Harris Corp.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

john

Clearwater, FL

#1 Feb 18, 2008
whats the cost of a commercial???
Calico Cat

Oviedo, FL

#2 Feb 18, 2008
Maybe it is high time for the TV stations to stop broadcasting over the air and not waste their money and the viewer's money on these table top digital gizmo's. Very darned few people today aren't on cable or satellite. Why not make a "total break" and rather than flail around with these Mickey Mouse "fixes", tell people to bite the damned bullet and at least get a basic service with one of the cable or satellite services. It might be an excellent time too to get rid of that 1950's TV and rabbit ears anyway. This is the HD age - You have no idea what you are missing. Prices are coming way down and the quality of the picture of an HD channel over cable or satellite is awesome. Go out and buy a good HD monitor, not a receiver, and use the HDMI feed from the satellite or cable box to feed the signal to your monitor. You don't want or need a tuner in the TV because you will never need it and it is just something else to go bad or degrade the signal. This is 2001, not 1960. Live and enjoy.
Jorge

Pompano Beach, FL

#3 Feb 18, 2008
They advertise on tv about the change I think their website is http://www.hdtvanswers.com
Uhh

Orlando, FL

#4 Feb 18, 2008
Calico Cat, not everyone has the budget to pay for monthly access to cable/dish etc. So I don't think your approach will work for those people.
rose

United States

#5 Apr 20, 2008
I feel either you want to have a tv in your home or you do not want one, weather it be by atenna, rabbit ears, cable or satellite, I believe it is up to the individual, and I do believe that this hdtv junk is just another way of these companies to make more money, my portable tv I bought 17 years ago is still playing very well, and i have never even put a penny in it yet, do these new tv's have the same capability I seriously doubt it, after all what need for improvement would there be if all tv's were created equal.
JimG

Evansville, IN

#6 Apr 25, 2008
Calico Cat wrote:
Maybe it is high time for the TV stations to stop broadcasting over the air and not waste their money and the viewer's money on these table top digital gizmo's. Very darned few people today aren't on cable or satellite. Why not make a "total break" and rather than flail around with these Mickey Mouse "fixes", tell people to bite the damned bullet and at least get a basic service with one of the cable or satellite services. It might be an excellent time too to get rid of that 1950's TV and rabbit ears anyway. This is the HD age - You have no idea what you are missing. Prices are coming way down and the quality of the picture of an HD channel over cable or satellite is awesome. Go out and buy a good HD monitor, not a receiver, and use the HDMI feed from the satellite or cable box to feed the signal to your monitor. You don't want or need a tuner in the TV because you will never need it and it is just something else to go bad or degrade the signal. This is 2001, not 1960. Live and enjoy.
Not too long ago in Florida Today there was an article on using rabbit ears to get HDTV, it stated that you get better quality HD over the air then you do on either cable or satillite
SPARTAN3541

Marrero, LA

#7 Jun 22, 2008
QUESTION FOR CALICO CAT. I HAVE A REGULAR CABLE HOOKUP. ARE YOU SAYING IF I GET THE GOVERNMENT SPONSORED HD CONVERTOR BOX MY PICTURE WILL IMPROVE?? IF SO, I WANT IT!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harris Corporation Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Harris Sets Up Equipment Financing (Sep '07) Mar '15 Rose Henderson 3
News Tyco closing Lowell plant, moving 100 jobs (Nov '10) Jul '14 Waste my Time 48
News Harris Corporation Launches IP-based Air Traffi... (Feb '13) Feb '13 migan 00966536685340 1
News Harris Corp. Wins IDIQ Contract with Potential ... (Nov '11) Nov '11 LoveHarrisStock 1
News Mark Kelley Joins Donovan Data Systems as Repor... (Jun '11) Jun '11 Jeffery 1
Getting a job or internship with Harris RF Divi... (Jun '11) Jun '11 Paul 1
News Harris Corporation's Maritime Technology and Se... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Rachel 4
More from around the web