Spam can is iconic, and Hormel wants ...

Spam can is iconic, and Hormel wants to keep it that way

There are 22 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 31, 2011, titled Spam can is iconic, and Hormel wants to keep it that way. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Sometimes, Spam is worth fighting for. Hormel Foods, based in Austin, Minn., is suing an Ohio firm, alleging it is producing a canned meat product with a logo that's "confusingly similar" to Spam's iconic yellow-on-blue design.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jul 08

Brooklyn Park

#1 Apr 1, 2011
Okay, so now I don't eat Spam or Prem. What's in that stuff, lips and hoofs?
Captain Civility

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Apr 1, 2011
it should have a pic of LeDumbo on it.
walter

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Apr 1, 2011
you have no case hormel!
walter

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Apr 1, 2011
Labratt wrote:
Okay, so now I don't eat Spam or Prem. What's in that stuff, lips and hoofs?
secret recipe

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#5 Apr 1, 2011
they're kinda up the creek either way. If they don't protect their brand, they lose the ability to claim it in the future, or they spend millions and time on this lawsuit...
Lefty

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Apr 1, 2011
Another dumb lawsuit! This is exactly why corporations should be paying their share of taxes. Tying up the courts in frivolous lawsuits. Tort reform!
Truth Missile

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Apr 1, 2011
Jellied canned meat is disgusting!

St. Croix valley

#8 Apr 1, 2011
Lefty wrote:
Another dumb lawsuit! This is exactly why corporations should be paying their share of taxes. Tying up the courts in frivolous lawsuits. Tort reform!
Protectiong your brand name is stupid? Not a marketing mogul, huh?
TeddyG

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Apr 1, 2011
How can it be 'confusingly similar' when SPAM is mystery meat to begin with?
bob

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Apr 1, 2011
I can see Hormel's perspective. Initially, I thought the PREM was SPAM in some foreign language.
PREM is trying to leverage the SPAM brand.
Cry Me a River

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Apr 1, 2011
Under these premises, shouldn't StarKist sue all the other tuna fish manufacturer's cause they use the little round cans?

St. Croix valley

#12 Apr 1, 2011
Cry Me a River wrote:
Under these premises, shouldn't StarKist sue all the other tuna fish manufacturer's cause they use the little round cans?
no.
Angela

Prineville, OR

#13 Apr 1, 2011
Spam is very popular around the world. All parts of Asia love this product..look at the staple that it is in Hawaii..We should be proud that it is a part of MN/American heritage..This company will win this lawsuit.;)
Angela

Prineville, OR

#14 Apr 1, 2011
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no.
Tuna is tuna..:)
wtf

United States

#15 Apr 1, 2011
Lawsuits like this are silly, but with the way the economy is going expect to see more of these. Everyone is out to copy everyone elses design and hope they don't get caught.
Angela

Prineville, OR

#16 Apr 1, 2011
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>
Protectiong your brand name is stupid? Not a marketing mogul, huh?
Totally agree!
Angela

Prineville, OR

#17 Apr 1, 2011
Why Woodtick...sheesh..hate those things!

St. Croix valley

#18 Apr 1, 2011
wtf wrote:
Lawsuits like this are silly, but with the way the economy is going expect to see more of these. Everyone is out to copy everyone elses design and hope they don't get caught.
didn't you just contradict your own statement?

St. Croix valley

#19 Apr 1, 2011
Angela wrote:
Why Woodtick...sheesh..hate those things!
different kind of woodtick...
blindman

Summerfield, FL

#20 Apr 1, 2011
My daddy took me to work one day to see how spam was made, I still haven't recovered from that yet!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hormel Foods Corporation Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hormel Worker Injured on the Job (Feb '09) May '15 whoremel 25
News Review: Book looks at costs of pork production (Oct '14) Oct '14 Dee Dee Dee 2
News Pitcairn Island, home of famous Bounty mutineer... (Apr '08) Jun '14 skinny bones taco 10
News Depardieu, in tax fight, gets Russian citizenship (Jan '13) Jan '13 PolskaHusaria 2
News How SPAM became spam (Dec '08) Sep '12 sucker 4
News Week-long autism camp ends (Aug '11) Aug '11 FBOMBER 1
News Minnesota's food producers fed the nation, and ... (Mar '11) Mar '11 the troll 13
More from around the web