Minnesota's food producers fed the na...

Minnesota's food producers fed the nation, and the nation got fat

There are 13 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 18, 2011, titled Minnesota's food producers fed the nation, and the nation got fat. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Minnesota's food industry is proud of helping feed the nation. But sometimes they've overfed it, too.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Since: Jan 11

San Jose, CA

#1 Mar 18, 2011
Here come the friggin food police.
Perich

United States

#3 Mar 18, 2011
The first thing we could do is quit subsiding farmers. Let them compete like everyone else. It might mean a slight increase in food costs but we would save in taxes.
Flightdeckhand

Bayamon, Puerto Rico

#4 Mar 18, 2011
oink! oink!
Goldy1

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Mar 18, 2011
This is a fantastic article...if you want to destroy the self esteem of the hundreds of thousands of Minnesotans who work in the industries taken to task by the reporter. Mr. Webb couldn't have written a more thought-provoking example of social engineering tripe, and I'm sure it will be lauded by the likes of Michelle Obama and other liberal voices who believe more government intrusion into our lives is the only way to stop obesity and the medical issues and complications that arise from overeating and indulging in the wrong food groups. As a Minnesotan I'm insulted by the tone of the story, but it no longer surprises me that this type of agenda-based reporting dominates the fish wrap that tries to pass itself off as good, solid journalism in this state and country. Mr. Webb and PP editors, please stop preaching and practice putting some persepective into articles like this. You know of what I speak, but your sensitivity to certain groups simply won't allow you to do that.
well I will be bout time

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Mar 18, 2011
Yes, MN we chained these Bstrd's down with cables, and wenches!!!!! Jammed their mouths open with a crowbar, then had our great green giant friend jam food down their throats till it burst out every orface they had!!!!
It was all out fault MN! we should have never jammed that entire pallet of donuts, cookies, chocolates and worst of all Mc Donalds down Mr and Mrs Johnsons throat!!!! we are guilty, yes guilty I tell you, and we must pay the ultimate price! we yes we ourselves must bust our guts and inhale the food until we can stuff ourselves NO MORE!!!! then and only then we must stuff it down our childrens throats and beg forgiveness at the masses we so woofully forced to eat our foods!!!!!!

for those that missed it, that was sarcasm... Righties I know you all got it, but those lefties, ya just never know....

Twinkies anyone?
Sam

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Mar 18, 2011
The entire article is based on a fallacy.

The food industry does not feed anyone. They offer products for sale.

The consumer chooses which product and how much to consume.
mike

Winona, MN

#8 Mar 18, 2011
This was a thought provoking article. It provoked me towards the inescapable conclusion that some of us spend entirely too much time finding ways to alleviate people from taking responsibility for their own acts and shielding them from the consequences of being unable to practice MODERATION. The fact is that this is one of a select number of nations where you can find any type of food you want and how much or what you choose to consume is up to you. Your life is not my fault nor the choices that you make.
The biggest culprit

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Mar 18, 2011
Cream of Mushroom soup
merle

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Mar 18, 2011
Of course the government has the authority and must restrict the food the people produce and eat.

This is no longer a constitutional republic.

We have our black- robed judges in Madison.

We have our union overlords. We have our Envionmentalist Warlocks.

We have the Marie Antoinette Society which governs by ultimatum and the diktat of democrat communists and thug unions.

Let the taxpayers eat the cake that remains after the Lipizzanners of the Liberal Elite and their Union Sows have harvested and gleaned the field.
Thanks for checking in

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Mar 18, 2011
Charlie
merle wrote:
Of course the government has the authority and must restrict the food the people produce and eat.
This is no longer a constitutional republic.
We have our black- robed judges in Madison.
We have our union overlords. We have our Envionmentalist Warlocks.
We have the Marie Antoinette Society which governs by ultimatum and the diktat of democrat communists and thug unions.
Let the taxpayers eat the cake that remains after the Lipizzanners of the Liberal Elite and their Union Sows have harvested and gleaned the field.
Alan Watson

Mankato, MN

#13 Mar 20, 2011
Thought-provoking, well organized article; however, whenever you combine dietary "sugar" with dietary "fat" - as the 2010 Dietary Guidelines do - you are confusing two very different food categories with vastly different effects in the body. Sugar has no value - and we don't need any - and natural fat is critically important for growth, membrane structure, and hormone development. Please, don't confuse empty-calorie sugar with nutrient dense fat.
beth in texas

Killeen, TX

#15 Mar 21, 2011
mike wrote:
This was a thought provoking article. It provoked me towards the inescapable conclusion that some of us spend entirely too much time finding ways to alleviate people from taking responsibility for their own acts and shielding them from the consequences of being unable to practice MODERATION. The fact is that this is one of a select number of nations where you can find any type of food you want and how much or what you choose to consume is up to you. Your life is not my fault nor the choices that you make.

I think you are on to something there. A whole lot is attitude. Look at Japan, see riots, looting and lawlessness going on? Nope. If that were us??? Yup, mayhem would ensue. The grocery store is no place to give in to your inner child. Grow up America!
the troll

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Mar 22, 2011
Perich wrote:
The first thing we could do is quit subsiding farmers. Let them compete like everyone else. It might mean a slight increase in food costs but we would save in taxes.
No, it would mean lower food costs. this is a clear case where govt intervention props prices up and the tax subsidies lower tax payment to the states. abolish all farm subsidies now. corporate tax shelter for the large farms have hurt the family farm and have doubled the net worth of the cargills in 1 year. the year the cargills cornerred the market on corn and corn got voted in for fuel, their net worth doubled. it was an inside job, just like in the movie trading places. it hurt the small farmer. Michell bachmans family had recieved over 250,000 in farm subsidies, too. FARM SUBISIDIES RUINED THE FAMILY FARM.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hormel Foods Corporation Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hormel Worker Injured on the Job (Feb '09) May '15 whoremel 25
News Review: Book looks at costs of pork production (Oct '14) Oct '14 Dee Dee Dee 2
News Pitcairn Island, home of famous Bounty mutineer... (Apr '08) Jun '14 skinny bones taco 10
News Depardieu, in tax fight, gets Russian citizenship (Jan '13) Jan '13 PolskaHusaria 2
News How SPAM became spam (Dec '08) Sep '12 sucker 4
News Week-long autism camp ends (Aug '11) Aug '11 FBOMBER 1
News Spam can is iconic, and Hormel wants to keep it... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Circular 22
More from around the web