entertainment

There are 30 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Nov 23, 2010, titled entertainment. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Hormel Foods Corp. doled out today a record $16.3 million in profit sharing to its plant employees, including those employed at the Austin plant.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Congrats

South Saint Paul, MN

#1 Nov 24, 2010
It's nice to hear these kinds of stories where the company actually gives back to the employees, especially in these times and that the holiday season here when some companies have gotten rid of bonuses and profit sharing altogether. Congrats to Hormel and it's employees! Keep up the good work.
A Union Company

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Nov 24, 2010
Making money and some of the profits going to those who actually made it for the company. Imagine that, I thought unions only destroyed companies.
Freedom Lover

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Nov 24, 2010
Gov. Goofy must be rolling in his grave. He spent all that time busting the P-9 and even called out the National Guard in order to assure that those people would be paid an undocumented worker's salary. And now this!
to hard

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Nov 24, 2010
Nice for these employees..
jlr

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Nov 24, 2010
Too bad more corporations don't show their employees they are appreciated for their efforts. Way to go Hormel!

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#6 Nov 24, 2010
Nice!
I Am So Jealous

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Nov 24, 2010
Wonder if they're hiring?
Douglas Beckman

Spring Hill, FL

#8 Nov 24, 2010
If they are such a strong union operation, why are people backing scab employees who work in the Hormel Plant, nothing is the same when my father worked for George A. Hormel Plant, in Austin, Minnesota, so many families back in Austin , Minnesota have not talked to there family members after the last strike in the plant in Austin, as family members crossed the striking picket holders to become scam employees
The Hormel Plant isn't the same as when the old timers put there hard work into what Hormel's stand for now, the Hormel head quarters main office never had no loyal to match the loyal the workers believed in the company that George A. Hormel started years ago, all the big wigs in the company had big eyes to pad there pocket books fatter, and the hell with the loyal workers who believed in the Hormel Plant all changed when the Hormel Family Members passed away was the beginning of distrust in the new direction the Hormel plant went to take over, as we all now who no anything about Austin, Minnesota is aware that Austin is owned by Hormel's, and they even own the Austin High School also can you imagine that, put that in your thoughts over the up coming holiday season to share your thoughts with me,has anyone else have any other points to throw into my comment box feel free to jump into my praide day against the present Hormel operation the way it is being run now, George A. Hormel would turn over in his grave now knowing how the company was being run now.
Get A Clue

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Nov 24, 2010
Douglas Beckman wrote:
If they are such a strong union operation, why are people backing scab employees who work in the Hormel Plant, nothing is the same when my father worked for George A. Hormel Plant, in Austin, Minnesota, so many families back in Austin , Minnesota have not talked to there family members after the last strike in the plant in Austin, as family members crossed the striking picket holders to become scam employees
The Hormel Plant isn't the same as when the old timers put there hard work into what Hormel's stand for now, the Hormel head quarters main office never had no loyal to match the loyal the workers believed in the company that George A. Hormel started years ago, all the big wigs in the company had big eyes to pad there pocket books fatter, and the hell with the loyal workers who believed in the Hormel Plant all changed when the Hormel Family Members passed away was the beginning of distrust in the new direction the Hormel plant went to take over, as we all now who no anything about Austin, Minnesota is aware that Austin is owned by Hormel's, and they even own the Austin High School also can you imagine that, put that in your thoughts over the up coming holiday season to share your thoughts with me,has anyone else have any other points to throw into my comment box feel free to jump into my praide day against the present Hormel operation the way it is being run now, George A. Hormel would turn over in his grave now knowing how the company was being run now.
Whoa buddy! Settle down some here. This is a nice story about the positive things Hormel is doing for their employees TODAY. You can't change the past and you shouldn't live in it either.
thisaintright

Pinola, MS

#10 Nov 24, 2010
Profited by an onslaught of illegals working for them with 20 aliases & false id's.

Since: May 10

United States

#11 Nov 24, 2010
Douglas Beckman wrote:
Hormel owns Austin High School??? I'm from the Austin area and I've never heard such an outlandish story. My family used to raise pigs and sell them to Hormel. Where's your proof? If Hormel owns the school, why do the taxpayers pay property taxes to support the school? You must not have gotten your education at Austin High School as your use of the English language is autrocious. Using "there hard work" when it should be "their hard work." "As we all now who no anything about Austin"??? What kind of sentence is that?

As far as your "anger" towards Hormel,you do realize that the country was in a recession in the early 1980s. As things are now,companies need to control expenses and the easiest way to do that is to cut wages. Recessions bring about closures, cost-cutting measures. The last Hormel family member that served as chairman of the board was Jay Hormel and he died in 1954. You want to talk about things changing at a company when the founding family no longer controls things? Look at what happened with the Dayton family and what happened to Target and Daytons. Dayton's stores no longer exist. The same thing could have happened with Hormel if they hadn't been able to control costs. I've never been in a union and never will. Union workers think they're entitled to consistent employment and not be affected by what's going on in the rest of the population.

Since: May 10

United States

#12 Nov 24, 2010
thisaintright wrote:
Profited by an onslaught of illegals working for them with 20 aliases & false id's.
Are you willing to do the work they do? I bet you would be if you'd be paid $20 an hour. I've toured the Hormel plant in Austin and there is an even balance of legal immigrants and people from the Austin area. Unlike companies that have been busted by immigration officials, Hormel actually checks a person's ID before they are hired.
exed

Comstock, WI

#14 Nov 24, 2010
It's nice to see Hormel employees feeling positive toward their employer. The last time I remember them being in the news, they were carrying "Cram your Spam" signs on a picket line. I wondered at the time how anyone could be so hateful to the source of their paychecks.
olbermans cash

Blue Earth, MN

#15 Nov 24, 2010
Douglas Beckman wrote:
I got got one question -- where in the world did you take writing classes at? That's one big sentence.
republican

United States

#16 Nov 24, 2010
mnremark wrote:
<quoted text>
Hormel owns Austin High School??? I'm from the Austin area and I've never heard such an outlandish story. My family used to raise pigs and sell them to Hormel. Where's your proof? If Hormel owns the school, why do the taxpayers pay property taxes to support the school? You must not have gotten your education at Austin High School as your use of the English language is autrocious. Using "there hard work" when it should be "their hard work." "As we all now who no anything about Austin"??? What kind of sentence is that?
As far as your "anger" towards Hormel,you do realize that the country was in a recession in the early 1980s. As things are now,companies need to control expenses and the easiest way to do that is to cut wages. Recessions bring about closures, cost-cutting measures. The last Hormel family member that served as chairman of the board was Jay Hormel and he died in 1954. You want to talk about things changing at a company when the founding family no longer controls things? Look at what happened with the Dayton family and what happened to Target and Daytons. Dayton's stores no longer exist. The same thing could have happened with Hormel if they hadn't been able to control costs. I've never been in a union and never will. Union workers think they're entitled to consistent employment and not be affected by what's going on in the rest of the population.
so your family use to be a pig farmer? did they ever get any government help? like farmers do today,
NUTSTO

Tampa, FL

#17 Nov 25, 2010
A Union Company wrote:
Making money and some of the profits going to those who actually made it for the company. Imagine that, I thought unions only destroyed companies.
No they just hamper the companies! Think how big the checks would be without the unions. Think Andersen Window!
Ha Ha

Chaska, MN

#18 Nov 25, 2010
Why are they handing out bogus checks? That just seems mean- think of the embarrassment when they are rejected by the bank.

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#19 Nov 25, 2010
Ha Ha wrote:
Why are they handing out bogus checks? That just seems mean- think of the embarrassment when they are rejected by the bank.
Where the hell does that statement come from? Did I miss something in the story?
andy

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Nov 25, 2010
since these are the kind of jobs americans wont do ,thats pretty good pickins for all them illegals !
Pinman

Hastings, FL

#21 Nov 25, 2010
And here's another reason I like Spam.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hormel Foods Corporation Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hormel Worker Injured on the Job (Feb '09) May '15 whoremel 25
News Review: Book looks at costs of pork production (Oct '14) Oct '14 Dee Dee Dee 2
News Pitcairn Island, home of famous Bounty mutineer... (Apr '08) Jun '14 skinny bones taco 10
News Depardieu, in tax fight, gets Russian citizenship (Jan '13) Jan '13 PolskaHusaria 2
News How SPAM became spam (Dec '08) Sep '12 sucker 4
News Week-long autism camp ends (Aug '11) Aug '11 FBOMBER 1
News Spam can is iconic, and Hormel wants to keep it... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Circular 22
More from around the web