First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Amanda

New York, NY

#62 Jul 30, 2012
Soooooo... Can you kindve possibly tell me the code maybe?
GoalieEd wrote:
Hi. I work in Oklahoma (your area may be different), but hopefully my experiance will help you decide.
First of all, during the peak part of the season (Last third of January to about the middle of February), I worked every day (5-10 pm in the evening and 15 hours on the weekend). It was a bit hard on my family. After peek ended, the hours were cut back to a low of about 10 hours per week. They picked up again near the end of the season to about 30 per week. Since I alerayd have a full time job, I worked nights and weekends exclusivly.
Just so you're aware I (and everyone else) had to sign a non-compete clause, which stated that when I separate service I could not prepare a tax return for an H&R block client for two years within a 25 mile radius of the city limits of the town I worked in. Thus, if I didn't like working for them I can't just go work at a different tax company.
As mentioned before, the job is commission based. They gave a small draw (approx $6.50 to $7 an hour) against your commission, however. Your actually compensation starts at 19% of the paid return volume, and 15% of the optional Peace-of-Mind insurance program. During last tax season, I completed approximately 110 returns and made $4000 gross. Keep in mind I'm in Oklahoma, which has the lowest cost of living of any area, so I would expect the compensation to be higher elsewere. Besides the completed returns, I\I also had a number of returns I could not complete because they either walked (due to the cost of preparation and/or they had already done it with a tax software program and just wanted a second opinion) or I refused to complete due to obvious fraud.
Least you think I'm negative though, It was a really nice fit for myself. I didn't have to worry about issues that might occur if I tried doing tax returns on my own, such as liability issues. I also didn't have to do marketing, and didn't have to invest my own money on expenses. When I ran into issues I had not dealt with before (IE, Indian exclusion) there were a number of seasoned preparers to consult and advise on how to handle the issue. I always tried to give my clients their money worth, and because of the little things I did (such as advice for the future) I was able to get about 60% to sign up for an appointment with me next tax season (a year in advance). These are clients I won't have to share with the other preparers in my office next year.
In order to get hired on, they'll require you to take a basic income tax class class. I've got $25 off coupons I'd be willing to send. You also can contact the local office and they should offer you a discount on the class. I didn't know this and paid the full price. The class has completly changed this year. Previously it was on paper and pencil, and required about 3 hours outside of class for each instructional hour to complete all the exercies and reviews. Now however, they are advertising little work outside of class time, and you'll be learning to prepare the returns on the same computer system you'll use on the job. Around here, the classes start in September.
We also had interns, which were basically college students majoring in accounting who were doing the returns for not only cash, but college credit as well. They were treated exactly the same as 1st year preparers, including being required to sign the non-compete agreement and the same compensation.
Hopefully this helps answer your questions. Feel free to contact me if you have any follow-up questions.
gigi

Wasaga Beach, Canada

#63 Sep 20, 2012
banker wrote:
hello, I am just wondering how much a H&R block preparer makes. I am going to be taking the course in september, and am going to school for accounting. I work at a bank right now as a financial advisor rep, just looking to get into something more of what im studying. I am interested in tax preparing, but I don't want to leave my 5 yrs of banking relationship unless its worth it. thanks!
you make minimum wage plus a bonus for each tax return you do !
NYC

New York, NY

#64 Oct 1, 2012
Tax course if great for learning.

I'm only writing this for informative purposes.

As far as getting a seasonal job, slim chances. One particular person in class excelled and was often told he would be offered a position, he didn't even get a phone call for an interview. I am an MBA graduate studying for my CPA, was looking to get some experience with tax prep. I called several times and didn't even get a call back. Maybe NYC is just very busy territory, but I don't like false advertisement from H&R regarding the possibility of working for them after taking this course.
Lisa

Granger, IN

#65 Oct 4, 2012
Thanks for the info! I am about to start the H&R Block tax course in a couple of weeks, and your post was very informative. I appreciate you taking the time to write a post to help others out. God bless you!
Patricia

Miami, FL

#66 Dec 17, 2012
Y por seguro que el dueno es un Latino. Por que los latinos son los peores. Juzgan a los Anglozajones, pero ellos son los peores.
donna

Winfield, Canada

#67 May 28, 2014
Do anyone know around how much a h&r income tax course cost in BC?
donna

Winfield, Canada

#68 May 28, 2014
GoalieEd wrote:
Hi. Just wanted to drop a quick line letting you all know that H&R Block now has information on their redesigned income tax course on-line. Here is a couple of links for more information.
http://tinyurl.com/3b6qsx (Topics covered)
http://tinyurl.com/2t4nks (General information)
I suggest rather than signing up on-line at full price, you contact someone locally, as you may be able to get a discounted rate. As a H&R block preparer (TX, OK, AR), I was given some referral vouchers that cuts the costs significantly.
Unfotunately the sites do not give the actual prices of the course, or at least an approximation.......... is the price closer to $500 or more like $1000?
donna

Winfield, Canada

#69 May 28, 2014
Thanks for the reply but there is nowhere on those sites that give an approximation of the price of the course. Is is more like $300 or closer to $1000? Does anyone know?
DSK

Panama City, FL

#70 Sep 16, 2014
I have passed the local deadline for the beginning of H & R Block tax preparation training. There is another location where it has not yet started, but it is an hour drive away. I searched online for a total online course, but didn't find one. Does Block offer such a thing?
herman

Anderson, SC

#71 Oct 16, 2014
DSK wrote:
I have passed the local deadline for the beginning of H & R Block tax preparation training. There is another location where it has not yet started, but it is an hour drive away. I searched online for a total online course, but didn't find one. Does Block offer such a thing?
No basic course is offered online, however, they do offer a Tax Knowledge Assesment on their website where you can take an exam and then apply for work
herman

Anderson, SC

#72 Oct 16, 2014
donna wrote:
Thanks for the reply but there is nowhere on those sites that give an approximation of the price of the course. Is is more like $300 or closer to $1000? Does anyone know?
I'm not sure why you would not just call your local office and ask the price? The price does vary from location to location. Franchise offices for example set their own prices and are not bound by the corporate price.
herman

Anderson, SC

#73 Oct 16, 2014
NYC wrote:
Tax course if great for learning.
I'm only writing this for informative purposes.
As far as getting a seasonal job, slim chances. One particular person in class excelled and was often told he would be offered a position, he didn't even get a phone call for an interview. I am an MBA graduate studying for my CPA, was looking to get some experience with tax prep. I called several times and didn't even get a call back. Maybe NYC is just very busy territory, but I don't like false advertisement from H&R regarding the possibility of working for them after taking this course.
Sounds like someone is just being rude. Call 1-800-hrblock, talk with the people center, someone will call you back and explain why you were not offered a position.
CINDY

Gretna, LA

#74 Oct 20, 2014
guest wrote:
You might want to check with other tax prep companies. Some offer free courses, like Liberty and Jackson Hewitt. This may not be the case in all areas, but I'm in NE Florida, and they are free.
Liberty offers the class for free but the books are $150.00. The course is half the time of H&R Block and it teaches basic tax information. So, you probably won't be able to pass a tax exam.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

H and R Block Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
H & R Block's system hacked? (Mar '06) Apr 20 Mark 12
News H&R Block reviews: your taxes are worth a Secon... (Mar '12) Apr 8 broderickjoens 157
H&R Block "Peace of Mind", or a big Scam? (Mar '08) Apr 8 Aly 108
HR Block Bank Direct Deposit and Emerald Pre pa... (Dec '06) Apr 1 manda 786
First-Time Home Buyer Tax Credit 2012 (Jan '12) Mar 25 DamienCarl 79
Who has worked for H&R Block? (Oct '08) Mar '15 Mama 56
hrblock prepaid master card( emerald card) (Dec '07) Mar '15 Richard 147
More from around the web