H&R Block Tax Course Information
senior tax advisor

Jeffersonville, GA

#43 Apr 24, 2011
I have been with Block for over 20 years. I work evenings from 5 to 9 and every other Saturday (9-5). My gross is about $15,000 for 12 weeks of work. This is not bad, but I do work another full time job, and I have built up a good client base. Most of my returns are by appoint/request only.
Jeez

Topeka, KS

#44 Apr 24, 2011
Have any of you people who use the Blockheads compared their prices to real accountants/tax preparer prices? Block is ripping you off.
Jeez

United States

#45 Apr 29, 2011
senior tax advisor wrote:
I have been with Block for over 20 years. I work evenings from 5 to 9 and every other Saturday (9-5). My gross is about $15,000 for 12 weeks of work. This is not bad, but I do work another full time job, and I have built up a good client base. Most of my returns are by appoint/request only.
Why would an apparently competent tax preparer still be working as a Blockhead after 20 years? Have you asked yourself that question? Why aren't you working for yourself by now?
Diane

Colorado Springs, CO

#46 May 2, 2011
banker wrote:
hello, I am just wondering how much a H&R block preparer makes. I am going to be taking the course in september, and am going to school for accounting. I work at a bank right now as a financial advisor rep, just looking to get into something more of what im studying. I am interested in tax preparing, but I don't want to leave my 5 yrs of banking relationship unless its worth it. thanks!
I worked for Block 14 years on and off over the last 30 years. The pay is great during the first few weeks of tax season, then drops off dramatically from mid February. Since you work on commission, your hourly pay is a draw against your commission. Whatever you don't get in hourly you get after the season ends. Many refer to this as their 'bonus'; however, it is just the balance of their commission earned. This is a great second income during the season but don't bank on full time or working off season since that is for a select few and they work VERY part time. Won't replace a full-time career.

Now, since you like tax prep and work in a bank, consider working in the Trust/Estate Tax Department. You might have to consider a move to do this since they are usually around the corporate headquarters. I did this for a couple of banks and loved it! The work is interesting and fun, and you are respected by your peers for the technical expertise of the work you perform. You will learn so much about Trusts and Estate planning, it is incredible. Good luck with your search.
Diane

Colorado Springs, CO

#47 May 2, 2011
Jeez wrote:
Have any of you people who use the Blockheads compared their prices to real accountants/tax preparer prices? Block is ripping you off.
Enough already - we get that you hate Block for some reason. Whatever, we get it. Maybe you can zip it until you actually have something useful or valuable to say.

Signed,

Sick of you & your remarks
Marlene

Detroit, MI

#48 Jul 26, 2011
Here in Michigan H&R Block offices charge different prices. The one in Flushing wanted $100. to take the class. Clio was about $40. I signed up last year and had to cancel. Previous poster is right in stating you should check your local offices in your state that are open year round. You can tell them what office you would like to work at. Not all are open yet to teach. The classes start in Sept in most cases and you need to sign up in early August.
I too have a part time job and work close to 36 hours a week. Wouldn't leave much time for taking care of an elderly parent and seeing my friend.
The work clause is the same here in Michigan too. You can't work for a competitor for two years.
BLANCA DE HOYOS

Garza García, Mexico

#49 Jul 29, 2011
Que bueno que se me ocurrió darle al clic hasta el final de los comentarios, porque justo el último era el de usted señora MARIA PINA LUCAS de Miami, Fl.estaba a punto de solicitar la informacion de acuerdo con lo que promocionan en la t.v. de San Antonio, Tex. ésta que disque compañía que trata de ayudar a la gente, dando cursos de taxes,.. no sabe cuanto le agradezco su comentario en la computadora, solo estando mal de la cabeza me atreveria a solicitar el curso... y más mal por supuesto, al enviarles dinero. Gracias señora Maria y por favor para nosotras que vivimos en la frontera con EE.UU. y no dominamos bien el ingles, siga abriendonos los ojos cuando detecte que hay gente sin escrupulos que juega con las ilusiones de la gente de bien. Dios la bendiga.
kanu

Winnipeg, Canada

#50 Aug 18, 2011
I just want to know whether we will be able to do it by ourself as a business or not.

Thanks a lot.........
GoalieEd wrote:
Oh, I also forgot to mention that the percentage (19% for first year) steps up 1-2 percent a year based upon the number of training/certification hours you collect. Since H&R now offers over a hundred on-line classes, it's well worth your while to do approximatly 60 hours of training at home in order to set your compensation as high as possible for the following year.
Lotus

United States

#51 Aug 22, 2011
Have you used the vouchers? When I called H&R block 800 number, they are not aware of any promotions. How did you get these vouchers?
ANy suggestions, pointers would be helpful.
Now they are asking $299 fee.
Jlo

United States

#52 Aug 24, 2011
Estoy apunto de empezar mi curso.en espanol, y si.tengo la ilusion de que se me de la oportinidad de trabajar con h&r en san diego,ca.tambien enganiar hacerca del.curso y la oportunidad de empleo alguien que me aconseje porfavor. Gracias
Guillermina Colon

Melbourne, FL

#53 Sep 1, 2011
Estoy muy decepcionada con H&R BLOCK. Hace dos meses (Julio) me inscribi en el curso para preparar taxes (ese que tanto anuncian en la TV.) Di un pronto de pago. Varias semanas mas tarde recibi un Email del Sr. Alberto Ortiz,District Manager, dandome la bienvenida. No recibi nada mas de H&R BLOCK. Hasta una semana antes de comenzar el curso que llame al Sr. ALBERTO J. ORTIZ, District Manager,(que nunca me contesto) asi que llame a la oficina para decirme que el curso habia sido cancelado. Que paso con mi dinero? El Sr. ALBERTO J. ORTIZ, District Manager no tuvo la educacion de informarme eso? Para que dan tantos anuncios de preparacion de Taxes, yo estaba interesada en coger el curso pero tambien lleno mis Taxes y mi familia como voy a ir a H&R BLOCK a llenar mis taxes cuando me demostraron que son unos inresponsables. Quizas tambien lo sean al llenar los Taxes. Algo que no entiendo como es que Sr.ALBERTO J. ORTIZ, es District Manager? Gracias
Oliika

Panama City, FL

#54 Sep 3, 2011
I'm attending H&R courses at the moment, and I enjoy it a lot. It doesn't take lots of my time. It's 3 hours twice a week. There are 12 people in the class.$100 for the whole course. N-E Florida. I think it's the best investment ever, even if they don't hire you, still it's cheaper than paying H&R for preparing your tax every year!!! I'd totally advise everybody to take it even for themselves. Great quality for cheap price.
pollydilla

Salt Lake City, UT

#55 Sep 22, 2011
guest wrote:
You might want to check with other tax prep companies. Some offer free courses, like Liberty and Jackson Hewitt. This may not be the case in all areas, but I'm in NE Florida, and they are free.
you need to actually apply to be a tax preparer and they make more than minimum wage - i made more than minimum wage for the 2010 tax season as a receptionist for a Block tax office.
Current Student

United States

#56 Oct 18, 2011
Here's what I can offer:

They are theory-based. You'll do a lot of reading but that's not going to help you learn how to do taxes. I'm in a class now where people are confused as hell because instead of us getting guided practice with the instructor, we basically just read.

When I asked two different teachers about this, their answer was that that is how the higher ups designed the course-theory with little practice. Basically, I got a "sorry but that's how it is."

So, beware. In the beginning it's easy but when you get into more advanced topics, if you are tactile learner, you are going to be out of luck.
Dottie

Philadelphia, PA

#57 Oct 19, 2011
I used to do taxes with HRB and was looking for my old manual. I trained with both the old and the new Building Blocks book. Do you know where I could get a used copy of either the old or new manual?
Thanks!
Santiago

United States

#58 Nov 2, 2011
The Clases in H&Block is a lot of material to read and do homework of several forms for the next day is a lot of information with a lot of detail in very litle time and the teacher that I have is very havy she is intelillents but she is to fat that she don't wan to get up of the chair to explain to the students, it was 20 students when start and now is 4 students, they want prepairs and they have to check their weikness.
Santiago

United States

#59 Nov 2, 2011
The Clases in H&Block is a lot of material to read and do homework of several forms for the next day is a lot of information with a lot of detail in very litle time and the teacher that I have is very havy she is intelillents but she is to fat that she don't wan to get up of the chair to explain to the students, it was 20 students when start and now is 4 students, they want prepairs and they have to check their weikness., Irving,Tx
Dottie

Middletown, DE

#60 Nov 4, 2011
Thank you for responding with helpful info!!
GoalieEd wrote:
Hi. Just wanted to drop a quick line letting you all know that H&R Block now has information on their redesigned income tax course on-line. Here is a couple of links for more information.
http://tinyurl.com/3b6qsx (Topics covered)
http://tinyurl.com/2t4nks (General information)
I suggest rather than signing up on-line at full price, you contact someone locally, as you may be able to get a discounted rate. As a H&R block preparer (TX, OK, AR), I was given some referral vouchers that cuts the costs significantly.
Louise

Brownwood, TX

#61 Apr 19, 2012
Santiago wrote:
The Clases in H&Block is a lot of material to read and do homework of several forms for the next day is a lot of information with a lot of detail in very litle time and the teacher that I have is very havy she is intelillents but she is to fat that she don't wan to get up of the chair to explain to the students, it was 20 students when start and now is 4 students, they want prepairs and they have to check their weikness.
"they want prepairs and they have to check their weikness."

WHAT!!!!????
Amanda

Ardsley, NY

#62 Jul 30, 2012
Soooooo... Can you kindve possibly tell me the code maybe?
GoalieEd wrote:
Hi. I work in Oklahoma (your area may be different), but hopefully my experiance will help you decide.
First of all, during the peak part of the season (Last third of January to about the middle of February), I worked every day (5-10 pm in the evening and 15 hours on the weekend). It was a bit hard on my family. After peek ended, the hours were cut back to a low of about 10 hours per week. They picked up again near the end of the season to about 30 per week. Since I alerayd have a full time job, I worked nights and weekends exclusivly.
Just so you're aware I (and everyone else) had to sign a non-compete clause, which stated that when I separate service I could not prepare a tax return for an H&R block client for two years within a 25 mile radius of the city limits of the town I worked in. Thus, if I didn't like working for them I can't just go work at a different tax company.
As mentioned before, the job is commission based. They gave a small draw (approx $6.50 to $7 an hour) against your commission, however. Your actually compensation starts at 19% of the paid return volume, and 15% of the optional Peace-of-Mind insurance program. During last tax season, I completed approximately 110 returns and made $4000 gross. Keep in mind I'm in Oklahoma, which has the lowest cost of living of any area, so I would expect the compensation to be higher elsewere. Besides the completed returns, I\I also had a number of returns I could not complete because they either walked (due to the cost of preparation and/or they had already done it with a tax software program and just wanted a second opinion) or I refused to complete due to obvious fraud.
Least you think I'm negative though, It was a really nice fit for myself. I didn't have to worry about issues that might occur if I tried doing tax returns on my own, such as liability issues. I also didn't have to do marketing, and didn't have to invest my own money on expenses. When I ran into issues I had not dealt with before (IE, Indian exclusion) there were a number of seasoned preparers to consult and advise on how to handle the issue. I always tried to give my clients their money worth, and because of the little things I did (such as advice for the future) I was able to get about 60% to sign up for an appointment with me next tax season (a year in advance). These are clients I won't have to share with the other preparers in my office next year.
In order to get hired on, they'll require you to take a basic income tax class class. I've got $25 off coupons I'd be willing to send. You also can contact the local office and they should offer you a discount on the class. I didn't know this and paid the full price. The class has completly changed this year. Previously it was on paper and pencil, and required about 3 hours outside of class for each instructional hour to complete all the exercies and reviews. Now however, they are advertising little work outside of class time, and you'll be learning to prepare the returns on the same computer system you'll use on the job. Around here, the classes start in September.
We also had interns, which were basically college students majoring in accounting who were doing the returns for not only cash, but college credit as well. They were treated exactly the same as 1st year preparers, including being required to sign the non-compete agreement and the same compensation.
Hopefully this helps answer your questions. Feel free to contact me if you have any follow-up questions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

H and R Block Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News H&R Block reviews: your taxes are worth a Secon... (Mar '12) 20 hr Chucklethe Truck 160
H and R block mistake (Apr '08) Jun 16 Gayle 30
hrblock prepaid master card( emerald card) (Dec '07) May '17 Dictionary 159
HR block sucks (Apr '11) May '17 Roy 74
H&R Block "Peace of Mind", or a big Scam? (Mar '08) May '17 Jallen1956 115
Do NOT go to H & R Block (Mar '06) Apr '17 Butterfly 715
H&R Block Emerald card (Jan '08) Apr '17 Butterfly 285
More from around the web