H&R Block Tax Course Information

Posted in the H and R Block Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: May 07

Oklahoma City, OK

#1 Jul 7, 2007
Hi. Just wanted to drop a quick line letting you all know that H&R Block now has information on their redesigned income tax course on-line. Here is a couple of links for more information.

http://tinyurl.com/3b6qsx (Topics covered)
http://tinyurl.com/2t4nks (General information)

I suggest rather than signing up on-line at full price, you contact someone locally, as you may be able to get a discounted rate. As a H&R block preparer (TX, OK, AR), I was given some referral vouchers that cuts the costs significantly.
banker

Kelowna, Canada

#2 Sep 5, 2007
hello, I am just wondering how much a H&R block preparer makes. I am going to be taking the course in september, and am going to school for accounting. I work at a bank right now as a financial advisor rep, just looking to get into something more of what im studying. I am interested in tax preparing, but I don't want to leave my 5 yrs of banking relationship unless its worth it. thanks!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Houston, TX

#3 Sep 7, 2007
Hi. I work in Oklahoma (your area may be different), but hopefully my experiance will help you decide.

First of all, during the peak part of the season (Last third of January to about the middle of February), I worked every day (5-10 pm in the evening and 15 hours on the weekend). It was a bit hard on my family. After peek ended, the hours were cut back to a low of about 10 hours per week. They picked up again near the end of the season to about 30 per week. Since I alerayd have a full time job, I worked nights and weekends exclusivly.

Just so you're aware I (and everyone else) had to sign a non-compete clause, which stated that when I separate service I could not prepare a tax return for an H&R block client for two years within a 25 mile radius of the city limits of the town I worked in. Thus, if I didn't like working for them I can't just go work at a different tax company.

As mentioned before, the job is commission based. They gave a small draw (approx $6.50 to $7 an hour) against your commission, however. Your actually compensation starts at 19% of the paid return volume, and 15% of the optional Peace-of-Mind insurance program. During last tax season, I completed approximately 110 returns and made $4000 gross. Keep in mind I'm in Oklahoma, which has the lowest cost of living of any area, so I would expect the compensation to be higher elsewere. Besides the completed returns, I\I also had a number of returns I could not complete because they either walked (due to the cost of preparation and/or they had already done it with a tax software program and just wanted a second opinion) or I refused to complete due to obvious fraud.

Least you think I'm negative though, It was a really nice fit for myself. I didn't have to worry about issues that might occur if I tried doing tax returns on my own, such as liability issues. I also didn't have to do marketing, and didn't have to invest my own money on expenses. When I ran into issues I had not dealt with before (IE, Indian exclusion) there were a number of seasoned preparers to consult and advise on how to handle the issue. I always tried to give my clients their money worth, and because of the little things I did (such as advice for the future) I was able to get about 60% to sign up for an appointment with me next tax season (a year in advance). These are clients I won't have to share with the other preparers in my office next year.

In order to get hired on, they'll require you to take a basic income tax class class. I've got $25 off coupons I'd be willing to send. You also can contact the local office and they should offer you a discount on the class. I didn't know this and paid the full price. The class has completly changed this year. Previously it was on paper and pencil, and required about 3 hours outside of class for each instructional hour to complete all the exercies and reviews. Now however, they are advertising little work outside of class time, and you'll be learning to prepare the returns on the same computer system you'll use on the job. Around here, the classes start in September.

We also had interns, which were basically college students majoring in accounting who were doing the returns for not only cash, but college credit as well. They were treated exactly the same as 1st year preparers, including being required to sign the non-compete agreement and the same compensation.

Hopefully this helps answer your questions. Feel free to contact me if you have any follow-up questions.
Sophie

AOL

#4 Sep 8, 2007
Goalie Ed, Thank you for giving a clear idea of what a 1st year can expect. The only thing that concerned me.....I added up an approximation of the hours you worked (from what you said) and came up with at least 900 hrs. If you made $4000 gross, the hourly wage is well below minimum wage. Do you have a record of the number of hours you worked? What does the hourly wage average out to be?

Oklahoma City, OK

#5 Sep 9, 2007
I did not work a full 40 hours the entire time, only during the busiest "peak" couple of weeks. On my summary sheet for the season it says I worked 332.71 reguar and 1.07 overtime hours for an actualy hourly rate off 11.99 per hour.

Also keep in mind that Oklahoma is one of the lowest cost areas of the US, so I would expect the charges, and thus your compensation, to be higher in more pricy parts of the country.

Feel free to ask further questions. If you're going to sign up I ahve a $25 off referal I could mail out if you send me your postal addres privatly (EdMooreJunk@sbcglobal.net)

Oklahoma City, OK

#6 Sep 9, 2007
Oh, I also forgot to mention that the percentage (19% for first year) steps up 1-2 percent a year based upon the number of training/certification hours you collect. Since H&R now offers over a hundred on-line classes, it's well worth your while to do approximatly 60 hours of training at home in order to set your compensation as high as possible for the following year.
Fredy Diaz

Sterling Heights, MI

#7 Sep 25, 2007
GoalieEd wrote:
Oh, I also forgot to mention that the percentage (19% for first year) steps up 1-2 percent a year based upon the number of training/certification hours you collect. Since H&R now offers over a hundred on-line classes, it's well worth your while to do approximatly 60 hours of training at home in order to set your compensation as high as possible for the following year.
That's a very interest compensation method. I definitely need to check it out! Do you still have that voucher? E-mail address is dondinero718@gmail.com if you do. Thanks!
EKG

Naperville, IL

#9 Apr 18, 2009
Does anyone know the cost of the H&R Block tax preparation course? I know it varies by area, however, I need an estimate of how much it will be before getting involved in it. I live in the Chicago suburbs.
Thanks for your help!
GoalieEd

United States

#10 Apr 24, 2009
EKG, It varies by area. I'd guestimate a maximum of $149 or so, but depending on their need you may well be able to negotiate a lower price. For instance, last year in my area military wives were free.
wants2learn

Carmichael, CA

#11 Aug 26, 2009
Is that covenant not to compete legal?
Especially if they don't offer you a job?
Susan

United States

#12 Sep 2, 2009
Yes, I have signed up to take the class. If you have any extra discount vouchers left, please contact me at con-fused@att.net
Papu

Woodside, NY

#13 Sep 4, 2009
Liberty tax is also offering tax courses and work.
ddf

AOL

#14 Sep 6, 2009
Any idea what the chance of getting hired after taking the course is? How do I get a discount voucher?
jhbfjhsgjfg

San Diego, CA

#15 Jan 29, 2010
can i have courses for do taxes without have acounting carier??
Maria Guadalupe Monreal

United States

#16 Feb 3, 2010
I'm really interested in taking the tax course. Please provide information about when can i register. thank you
Toni Willcutt

California City, CA

#17 Mar 5, 2010
I would not recommend the H&R tax class if you are looking to be hired by them. I took the class (paid $300.) and got a 96% score and was told by the customer service rep, as well as the instructor that if I got at least a score of 80% I would be guaranteed at least interview. I never got an interview and when I called the district manager I believe her name was Kathy Connelly, she was no help her only suggestion was that I pay another $300. and retake the class next year. Also they only pay minimum wage until you complete an enormous amount of returns. In reality you can make more working at In and Out burger and you don't have to pay for training. H&R block is a real disappointment considering they make promises they do not keep. If you do decide to take the class I would recommend trying aniother company or doing taxes on your own. H&R Block is a rip off. They seem to charge a lot to the general public for doing simple tax returns and even more by charging for people to take their class and they don't live up to their promises.
Tory

Mandeville, LA

#18 May 21, 2010
So do anyone know how much the course is in the state of Louisiana?
brenda

Millington, TN

#19 Jun 15, 2010
Does anyone know about the course in Memphis TN?.. i am trying to get in to the bilingual one.
Maria Pina Lucas

Delray Beach, FL

#20 Jun 23, 2010
Mi comentario va dirigido a las personas que solo saben espanol y enganados por la publicidad que esta compania hace en las televisiones hispanas van con ilusion a intentar aprender taxes. En el ano 2009 H&R Block prometia cursos de taxes en espanol, al entrar en contacto con ellos te decian que los manuales estarian en ingles y el profesor explicaria en espanol, animada me inscribi y abone los mas de 200 dolares que costaba el curso. Unos pocos dias antes de iniciar el curso,(con el dinero pagado desde hacia dos meses y la agenda personal organizada, cambios de horarios laborales , etc) la compania se pone en contacto conmigo y con los otros hispano hablantes y sin darnos ninguna explicacion nos citan en el local donde se iban a dar los cursos en espanol. Al llegar habia dos personas para atender, y muchos afectados, a gritos y en ingles( ambas personas eran latinas y por consiguiente bilingues), segun entrabamos nos iban diciendo que los cursos solo se iban a dar en ingles y que el que estuviera de acuerdo empezaba en el dia senalado y los demas pues que no podian ir, solo al preguntarles yo por nuestro dinero nos dijeron que el dinero lo devolverian por correo, asi sin mas explicaciones, una de las personas contesto algo en espanol pero la otra persona no fue capaz de ser minimamente cortes y aclarar a los latinos con cuyo dinero habian jugado por dos meses el problema que habia habido.
1.- Fueron degradantes con los hispano hablantes cuando en Miami viven de nosotros, de hecho yo era cliente y nunca mas volvere a hacer mis taxes con ellos, mi dinero habla espanol si yo no les gusto para darme un curso tampoco me gustan ellos para hacer mis taxes.
2.- Incumplieron la publicidad que dan en las televisiones y los terminos hablados y escritos en la web de la contratacion del curso. Estan en su derecho de no hacer cursos bilingues pero que no los ofrezcan, ni cobren por ellos.
3.- hasta 15 dias despues de esta reunion degradante no llego por correo el cheque con el dinero del curso, con lo facil que es en la actualidad hacer abonos a las tarjetas de credito o mucho mejor si me vas a convocar para anular el curso tener preparado el dinero para paliar el mal.
4.- Yo hable con varias personas por telefono de esa compania para poner una reclamacion, pensando que era cosa de la empresa en Miami, pero un ano despues no he recibido ninguna respuesta.
5.- En este momento esta empresa puede escoger a quien forma, hace cinco anos lloraban para que la gente fuera a trabajar con ellos, ofrecian gratuitamente los cursos y por supuesto en espanol, sino no hubieran tenido a nadie para trabajar con ellos, en cualquier caso la categoria de la empresa con su comportamiento ha quedado bien clara para mi. NO SIRVE, ES CARA HACIENDO TAXES, PAGAN MAL Y POCO A SUS TRABAJADORES Y EN AREAS ALTISIMAMENTE HISPANAS COMO MIAMI DONDE HAY ZONAS DONDE NADIE HABLA INGLES SE PERMITEN EL LUJO DE MALTRATAR A LOS HISPANOS.

Middleburg, FL

#21 Aug 11, 2010
You might want to check with other tax prep companies. Some offer free courses, like Liberty and Jackson Hewitt. This may not be the case in all areas, but I'm in NE Florida, and they are free.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

H and R Block Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Batch HRB Apr 30 Dianeiquintana 1
Mobile wallet Apr '18 SladeSteelesoul 1
H&R Block Emerald card (Jan '08) Apr '18 Troz 298
Payroll direct deposit on emerald card? (Aug '08) Mar '18 IrishSea 27
Gift of Equity Mar '18 Lanim 1
Do NOT go to H & R Block (Mar '06) Mar '18 Sc rappy 729
I'll never use H&R block again (Feb '13) Mar '18 Sally 15