Who has worked for H&R Block?
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
GDS

Vancouver, WA

#44 Jan 31, 2012
acedalex wrote:
I am currently taking the Building Blocks Course at H&R Block. I know they don't pay much to start and they keep talking about how we get a bonus check at the end of the tax season depending on our tax return "Buckets". They won't go into detail about the pay and compensation. Has anyone ever worked for them that can offer any advice, as far as do you recommend working for them? What was your experience like? Is it worth the experience of a tax season or two? Do they really help you grow? From what I can gather from most of the comments on this site is that many are very dissatisfied with H&R Blocks' performance and ability to provide the type of service that they claim to provide. I'm thinking it might be better to work for a small office with less returns and maybe even less pay, but the possibility to gain more knowledge might be better. Any suggestions?
DO NOT work for this company! The pay is horrible, your duties will include cleaning the restrooms, vacuuming the lobby and ripping hard working people off. My mother worked for them for exactly one month. She quit working for them because they were only paying her $10.00 an hour to do the things I mentioned. They are especially good at taking money from young people who don't know any better. If you want to sleep at night, don't go to work for this company!
Whocares

Lexington, KY

#46 Apr 26, 2012
I worked for h&r block and they promised a big check at the end. When you look at how mmuch you generate in revenue for them and get pennies in comparison. for example, generate 30,000 for them get a big check of 300.00 more if you charge your clients with services they dont need. Some "tax pro" are knowledgeable because they have been doing it for years and taxes is not about data entry if it was you would not be able to go to one tax professional and they say $500 refund and you go to another and they get $1100. It is the knowledge of tax laws that is the difference. I used to work for them but I don't now ans so glad that I don't because I can sleep at night now. But the knowledge gained there has helped me get refunded about 80-85% of my taxes taken out per year. So knowledge is the key not H&R blood sucking tactics....
erica

United States

#48 Aug 26, 2012
I am about to register for the class and now have reservations. Can any one help me with these questions/concerns??? Please please please
1. after finishing the course and passing the test, can I work anywhere as a tax preparer or just HR Block?
2. How long does the certificate last? Does it expire yearly/biyearly?
3. In Chicago, does anyone know how much to expect to earn part time?
Any answers are welcome. Thanks so much
RogerG

Tulsa, OK

#49 Sep 2, 2012
You can't take the class knowing you are going to work elsewhere. But, Block can't stop you from taking a job somewhere else after the class is over.

What "certificate" are you talking about? Block will give you a piece of paper stating you passed the class. Not sure if that's what you're referring to. You'll have to pass the IRS RTRP test by the end of 2013 if you want to continue doing taxes after next year.

You'll probably get paid around $9 -$10 per hour first year. Then they will put you on commission starting year two. You could make anywhere from minimum wage to $30/hr depending on how many tax returns you can do. My guess is 2nd year you'll be doing good to make $10/hr.
Lynn

United States

#51 Dec 26, 2012
Lisa wrote:
<quoted text>
The funiest thing that you say in your comment is "I work there" - if H&R Block is so terrible then why do you remain? I wonder if the people who had a bad experience at HRB were your clients? Perhaps it was the attitude of a person like you that has a poor attitude! If you hate it so much - quit!
H and R has a very bad reputation where I live. Not only that, I can say most the time when I mention to family, friends, even waiters and other random ppl, HR is known for HR blockheads. They leave out so many deductions that are available to you. They never even ask for information about cell phone bills to deduct. I can say I've never heard ANY happy with their services!!!!! Never!!!! And I talk to everyone (bagboys -teachers- family - doctors about where they do their taxes. HR is hated in Tennessee!!!!
Kim

London, Canada

#52 Jan 6, 2013
I live in London, Ontario, Canada.I took the course with Block in September 2012 in Canada. I got 92% for both theory and software exams; however, I didn't get the job. Very disappointed because I like doing tax and want to learn more about tax in advance course which is only provided for H&R Block employee. Luckily, I did some research and find out that LIBERTY TAX does offer basic and advance courses for tax in class and online. So now I can take the tax's advance courses with LIBERTY TAX.
CA-Blocker

Los Angeles, CA

#53 Oct 28, 2013
So, I was a CSP and shocked when I was told on the last day of training that part of my job -- as well as the tax pros job -- was to clean the bathroom and take out the garbage.
Is this standard for all H&R Block franchises?
Arc

Chicago, IL

#54 Nov 8, 2013
Ok i read all good and bad comments I'm new to h&r I'll see how it goes then I'll post my experience wish me luck not salt :)
MichiganTaxPro

Dexter, MI

#55 Jan 15, 2014
CA-Blocker wrote:
So, I was a CSP and shocked when I was told on the last day of training that part of my job -- as well as the tax pros job -- was to clean the bathroom and take out the garbage.
Is this standard for all H&R Block franchises?
Yes, CA-Blocker, we all do the housekeeping. when we all pitch in it takes 5-10 minutes at end of day and you get paid for it. I work for a franchise and they take especially good care of things since it represents them. Lots of pride and many, many years in business with many, many return clients. The corporate offices are the same way on these shared chores.
CA-Blocker

Los Angeles, CA

#56 Jan 16, 2014
MichiganTaxPro wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, CA-Blocker, we all do the housekeeping. when we all pitch in it takes 5-10 minutes at end of day and you get paid for it. I work for a franchise and they take especially good care of things since it represents them. Lots of pride and many, many years in business with many, many return clients. The corporate offices are the same way on these shared chores.
Thanks MichiganTP for your reply. I don't mind team efforts to keep the office clean that include trash and dusting, but I do think having a janitorial service for cleaning the restrooms is appropriate. If the clients knew their tax pro was also cleaning the toilet, it could change their impression and I bet would be a turn-off. Also, for H&R to require this of its tax pros on a corporate-wide basis is weird.
Curious

Victoria, Canada

#57 Mar 12, 2014
Does H&R Block have offices in the Philippines (i.e. not an on-line service based in the US) to provide tax preparation services for US expats living there?
Ltt

New York, NY

#58 Jul 24, 2014
]H&R Block couldn't care less about their employees. Their technology is circa 1989 and their pay is below that of any major retailer. They are truly slave owners and scrape the bottom of the barrel for their permanent staff so they can pay them as little as possible and make them believe what they do is important. I work there! I know! As far as their Franchise owners and Tax Professionals? WOW these people know how to take abuse at less than McDonald's wages. Consumers, thinking of goin to Block to have your taxes done? Think again! The average "Tax Pro" has little or no experience and also has a "real" job on the side or they couldn't support themselves. Technical support? What a joke. They get anyone they can to just answer the phone. NO training and treat them like shit. This is the nations 6th largest retailer and they are the Devil. Consumers are better off not filing their taxes at all and if you must work for Block, I pray for you because your life must suck.[let the truth shine bright, thanks for ur comments]
unstisfied

Alexander City, AL

#59 Feb 25, 2015
The worst place to work. The office on Murphy Miller rd. Has an employee who always cusses. Her name is Christy Patton. I will never go back to hrblock.
unstisfied

Alexander City, AL

#60 Feb 25, 2015
Don't go to hrblock on Murphy mill rd in Dothan Alabama. Chhristy Patton has a disgusting mouth and she dresses very SLOPPY
unstisfied

Alexander City, AL

#61 Feb 25, 2015
unstisfied wrote:
The worst place to work. The office on Murphy Miller rd. Has an employee who always cusses. Her name is Christy Patton. I will never go back to hrblock.
I agree
Mama

White Plains, NY

#62 Mar 24, 2015
My daughter filed on line last year through H&R Block Advantage. She didn't receive either federal or state returns. When we went on-line to IRS to check status they had no information that matched. Obviously H&R never submitted. I just hope this doesn't come back to bite her in the butt.
Marimar7763

Brooklyn, NY

#63 Jan 13, 2017
acedalex wrote:
I am currently taking the Building Blocks Course at H&R Block. I know they don't pay much to start and they keep talking about how we get a bonus check at the end of the tax season depending on our tax return "Buckets". They won't go into detail about the pay and compensation. Has anyone ever worked for them that can offer any advice, as far as do you recommend working for them? What was your experience like? Is it worth the experience of a tax season or two? Do they really help you grow? From what I can gather from most of the comments on this site is that many are very dissatisfied with H&R Blocks' performance and ability to provide the type of service that they claim to provide. I'm thinking it might be better to work for a small office with less returns and maybe even less pay, but the possibility to gain more knowledge might be better. Any suggestions?
Educational experience is great however it's not rewarding at all. i think this type of job is ideal for retirees that have time to sit and take all their courses which are time consuming and not good if you work a full time job.
Marimar7763

Brooklyn, NY

#64 Jan 13, 2017
Marimar7763 wrote:
<quoted text>

Educational experience is great however it's not rewarding at all. i think this type of job is ideal for retirees that have time to sit and take all their courses which are time consuming and not good if you work a full time job.
I think it's outraging that they over charge their customers all this money yet they can't pay their hard working tax preparers a decent salary
src

Creedmoor, NC

#65 Mar 5, 2017
BlockWorker wrote:
H&R Block couldn't care less about their employees. Their technology is circa 1989 and their pay is below that of any major retailer. They are truly slave owners and scrape the bottom of the barrel for their permanent staff so they can pay them as little as possible and make them believe what they do is important. I work there! I know! As far as their Franchise owners and Tax Professionals? WOW these people know how to take abuse at less than McDonald's wages. Consumers, thinking of goin to Block to have your taxes done? Think again! The average "Tax Pro" has little or no experience and also has a "real" job on the side or they couldn't support themselves. Technical support? What a joke. They get anyone they can to just answer the phone. NO training and treat them like shit. This is the nations 6th largest retailer and they are the Devil. Consumers are better off not filing their taxes at all and if you must work for Block, I pray for you because your life must suck.
I currently work for Block, and nine years after your post not much has changed. They care very little about their employees. Management is a joke, and the only thing we ever discuss with them is sales, sales, and sales. The bottom line is all they care about. Communication does not flow, everything is last minute, and required to be completed NOW. I should note, I was hired out of an ITC class to manage two offices. The training was minimal. You either sink or you swim. No operations training prior to opening for the season, all training was about increasing sales. If you want to work for a positive company that values their employees stay far away from Block. If you enjoy chaos, inefficiency, and lack of communication this company is for you. Yes people are needed and extremely welcome. They tell you to jump and you are suppose to say how high. Don't be fooled by the title Office Manager, the job is really a Sales/Marketing Manager in which you are required to do outside sales to build business. This company has lost sight of why they are in business. Preparing taxes is seldom discussed. Did I mention sales, sales, and more sales. They had a reinvent themselves campaign last year, this year it's Watson. What a joke. The real issue is an aging population of tax preparers and the inability to find qualified people to work week days. The tax pros that come back every year, do so for their clients not because they love H&R Block

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

H and R Block Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do NOT go to H & R Block (Mar '06) Jan 12 Anonymous 721
Payroll direct deposit on emerald card? (Aug '08) Jan 11 Mekat 18
My paycheck direct deposit! (Jul '17) Jan 4 Joe 2
HR Block Bank Direct Deposit and Emerald Pre pa... (Dec '06) Dec 21 Frustrated 2017 802
Office Managers Dec '17 Delllady7 1
H and R block mistake (Apr '08) Nov '17 Evsies 31
H&R Block Emerald card (Jan '08) Nov '17 Carrie Ward 286
More from around the web