Who has worked for H&R Block?

Posted in the H and R Block Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Sep 08

Las Vegas, NV

#1 Oct 3, 2008
I am currently taking the Building Blocks Course at H&R Block. I know they don't pay much to start and they keep talking about how we get a bonus check at the end of the tax season depending on our tax return "Buckets". They won't go into detail about the pay and compensation. Has anyone ever worked for them that can offer any advice, as far as do you recommend working for them? What was your experience like? Is it worth the experience of a tax season or two? Do they really help you grow? From what I can gather from most of the comments on this site is that many are very dissatisfied with H&R Blocks' performance and ability to provide the type of service that they claim to provide. I'm thinking it might be better to work for a small office with less returns and maybe even less pay, but the possibility to gain more knowledge might be better. Any suggestions?
GoalieEd

United States

#2 Oct 4, 2008
I enjoy working for them quite a bit. The compensation really does vary a lot between different tax professionals. I will tell you that if you're available during the times the offices are busy (Peak), as well as build your client base and bring in clients (which you'll schedule for you to work), you'll outperform the average preparer.

You're paid commission, so the more you perform the higher your compensation will be. Make sure to plan for the long term by maximizing your training (current rules allow two level jumps, which leads to two pay increased by taking twice the normal number of certification course). It's critical to set client appointments for next year (with you) while you're finishing up the tax return. And do some off-season marketing, SCORE presentations, and such to keep you in the public eye. Consider becoming an Enrolled Agent, and you'll be eligible for extra work in the off-season.
Judy

Bella Vista, AR

#3 Nov 2, 2008
I've worked for Block for 6 years and my income has increased each year because of the opportunities I've been given by Block. My client base has increased and the level of complexity of the returns I prepare has increased. Block has systems and programs in place for tax preparers to increase their knowledge and expertise through advanced tax education with tax instructors who know their stuff. The company utilizes a testing system to check each preparer's knowledge and ability. The software used by the preparers is terrific. The tax research department and office management systems are very good. The company wants tax preparers who are ethical and honest. Those who aren't don't work for them very long. I am now an enrolled agent and an accredited tax preparer with ACAT. That wouldn't have happened without the educational and training systems available to me through Block. Haven't regretted the decision to work for them. Even though I frequently think of starting by own tax service, I still come back year after year. The first year or two was difficult, but after I got my clientele established, it's been better and better each year. I work a lot of hours during tax season. Take two months off and then get back into the swing of things with advanced courses and marketing activities.
taxpro

Melrose, MN

#4 Dec 9, 2008
I have worked for Block for four years. My reaction to the offer of pay for the first year was a little negative, but I decided to try it for a year. I enjoy the work and with experience and training, the pay has increased each year. The bonus is figured based on the returns you do, their complexity, etc. The first year you may not make a lot, but it gets better each year. The pay also depends on the amount of hours you have available to work.
BlockWorker

United States

#5 Dec 10, 2008
H&R Block couldn't care less about their employees. Their technology is circa 1989 and their pay is below that of any major retailer. They are truly slave owners and scrape the bottom of the barrel for their permanent staff so they can pay them as little as possible and make them believe what they do is important. I work there! I know! As far as their Franchise owners and Tax Professionals? WOW these people know how to take abuse at less than McDonald's wages. Consumers, thinking of goin to Block to have your taxes done? Think again! The average "Tax Pro" has little or no experience and also has a "real" job on the side or they couldn't support themselves. Technical support? What a joke. They get anyone they can to just answer the phone. NO training and treat them like shit. This is the nations 6th largest retailer and they are the Devil. Consumers are better off not filing their taxes at all and if you must work for Block, I pray for you because your life must suck.
Judy

Tempe, AZ

#8 Dec 19, 2008
acedalex wrote:
I am currently taking the Building Blocks Course at H&R Block. I know they don't pay much to start and they keep talking about how we get a bonus check at the end of the tax season depending on our tax return "Buckets". They won't go into detail about the pay and compensation. Has anyone ever worked for them that can offer any advice, as far as do you recommend working for them? What was your experience like? Is it worth the experience of a tax season or two? Do they really help you grow? From what I can gather from most of the comments on this site is that many are very dissatisfied with H&R Blocks' performance and ability to provide the type of service that they claim to provide. I'm thinking it might be better to work for a small office with less returns and maybe even less pay, but the possibility to gain more knowledge might be better. Any suggestions?
I worked for H&R Block for 35 years. I started out like you, as a skeptical applicant who tried one season "just to see". I have been away for ten years now and miss it very much. In addition to meeting and working with wonderful clients, you will establish a relationship with your co-workers that is better than family. When you need them, they are there for you. My HRB friends still stay in touch even though we are now 2500 miles away. It's a great way to make extra money during the winter months and still have the rest of your year for something else. I worked as a temp when I wanted to work during the "off season". You won't get rich your first year because you will still be learning all the different tax laws and how to determine what you need to do with each return. But! You will have a base of clients and that is more than you get at the other tax services. I say, try it, you'll like it. Judy
Judy

Tempe, AZ

#9 Dec 19, 2008
I worked for H&R Block for 35 years. I started out like you, as a skeptical applicant who tried one season "just to see". I have been away for ten years now and miss it very much. In addition to meeting and working with wonderful clients, you will establish a relationship with your co-workers that is better than family. When you need them, they are there for your. My HRB friends still stay in touch even though we are now 2500 miles away. It's a great way to make extra money during the winter months and still have the rest of your year for something else. I worked as a temp when I wanted to work during the "off season". You won't get rich your first year because you still have a lot to learn and that slows you down. But you will have the opportunity to hone your knowledge and skills as you go. There will be more clients than any other tax service which gives you more opportunity to learn. I say, try it, you'll like it. Good luck! Judy
JUICE

Middletown, CT

#10 Jan 7, 2009
I was wondering how old do you have to be to work for H&R block and what kind of training is required?
Lisa

Hazel Crest, IL

#11 Jan 7, 2009
BlockWorker wrote:
H&R Block couldn't care less about their employees. Their technology is circa 1989 and their pay is below that of any major retailer. They are truly slave owners and scrape the bottom of the barrel for their permanent staff so they can pay them as little as possible and make them believe what they do is important. I work there! I know! As far as their Franchise owners and Tax Professionals? WOW these people know how to take abuse at less than McDonald's wages. Consumers, thinking of goin to Block to have your taxes done? Think again! The average "Tax Pro" has little or no experience and also has a "real" job on the side or they couldn't support themselves. Technical support? What a joke. They get anyone they can to just answer the phone. NO training and treat them like shit. This is the nations 6th largest retailer and they are the Devil. Consumers are better off not filing their taxes at all and if you must work for Block, I pray for you because your life must suck.
The funiest thing that you say in your comment is "I work there" - if H&R Block is so terrible then why do you remain? I wonder if the people who had a bad experience at HRB were your clients? Perhaps it was the attitude of a person like you that has a poor attitude! If you hate it so much - quit!
Joe

Hightstown, NJ

#12 Jan 22, 2009
I am in my second tax season now with HRB. Without a doubt, compensation varies greatly between preparers (I dislike the term "tax pro" because it's such a squishy, feel-good title). Those in the busy offices will make a good hourly wage -- absolutely guaranteed. Those in slower offices can actually make more per hour as a Wal-Mart greeter, and I'd recommend doing that instead if you are assigned to a slower office.
My biggest disappointment is the line of horse hockey they feed the employees in the beginning. I heard stuff such as "You will not have a return put in front of you that you're not trained to do." That is untrue, as I worked on returns in my first year that were over my training level. I also heard "once you do a client's return, that client is yours for life." That is also patently false because any client can go to any preparer on any day. One year a client works with Mary; the next year he walks in and works with John, both of whom work in the same office. There is no client retention guarantee. That makes it hard to build a client base.
The tax law training they offer is great, and the textbooks are very good (although loaded with typos and gramatical and punctuation mistakes).
I will give it another year and see what happens.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
blahh

Kingsport, TN

#13 Apr 23, 2009
im 19 years old and have been with h&r block since last September

im just a college student trying to make money on the side and i couldn't really even accomplish that.

They say you get a nice big fat bonus check right after tax season so i busted my butt during tax season and had almost 200 clients so im supposed to be in store for a decent check that i have yet to receive.

They chronically made mistakes on our hourly paychecks and acted as if it was our fault.

If you are considering this place as a place of employment then look elsewhere unless you are stuck in my situation with no other options.

If you are a prospective client i would not recommend coming to H&R Block. The prices are outrageous! I was honestly embarrassed to give my clients there total.
They are making a killing!!
For my 10 minutes of data entry and there 7 dollar an hour wage the clients could be charged in upwards of $350

I will not file my taxes there and i will not return next season unless i have absolutely no alternative
Jan

Saint Joseph, MO

#14 Jul 4, 2009
The 2009 tax season (for the 2008-2009 year) was my first season with H&R Block. Like Blahh I was a college student looking to make some money. Luckily, my experience was much different. Everyone in my office was friendly, save for one grouch, they never made mistakes on my paycheck, my supervisor was willing to work around my schedule and didn't schedule me on days I couldn't work, and I adore the clientele. Best of all the district manager was friendly, worked to improve our working conditions, and knew how to take a joke.

In case anyone is interested, I worked all of peak (40 hours/week)and about 60 hours outside of peak and received over $3000 in compensation. While that's not a lot it was more than enough to give me some extra spending money.

Overall my experience with H&R was extremely positive and I look forward to working with them again. My advice to anyone who's had a bad experience is that perhaps you worked at a bad office or in a bad district. Try requesting a transfer to an office where you know people have had better experiences and see if anything improves. If not, then perhaps H&R just isn't the right fit for you and you should look elsewhere for employment.

Also, compensation checks are mailed in May usually between the 8th-15th.
gary

Winthrop Harbor, IL

#15 Nov 10, 2009
oh boo hoo. What a crybaby. At least you received a chance. I can't even get through the basic class because they can't teach worth crap. They offer hardly help and expect you be an expert just because you walk through the door. If ever get to a point where I could prepare taxes then I could teach better then them any day.
gary

Winthrop Harbor, IL

#16 Nov 10, 2009
The right fit has nothing to do with it. I am finishing a bachelors in accounting. Yet, I can't even finish one of the tax returns because they expect experts which I am not. They don't care and don't want to help. They expect you to already know their software. If not your screwed.
karl

United States

#17 Nov 25, 2009
I just finished the tax pro course. It's a lot of information to retain. Our instructor explained the software in detail and we had plenty of time to practice at every class. We were encouraged to come during the day to do practice returns. I liked what I was offered during the class and will at least try to apply my hard earned knowledge.
Mark

Manila, Philippines

#18 Nov 29, 2009
HRBlock is now preparing for the tax season. A lot of things will be done better compare to previous years.
GladtobeGone

Middletown, NJ

#19 Dec 21, 2009
As a well-respected and admired Client Service Professional (receptionist) who always gave 110% for the past 3 years, I was not given the opportunity to continue my service with H&R Block due to the personality test and the fact that I did not score high enough on this computer test to be rehired. My on-the-job performance, positive feedback from clients year after year, excellent relationship with peers, tax pros, managers and co-workers come to an abrupt halt because a number score has banned me from working with this company.A number score is not indicative of and simply cannot measure 3 years of positive on the job performance. Despite the efforts of the district manager, office leadeer and to the disbelief of many, nothing could be done to retain an excellent and valuable employee. Good luck to all who think this company's claim that "every associate can and does make a difference and H&R Block creates an atmosphere of inclusion" - new management - what a joke?
ilikebigbutts

Beaver Falls, PA

#20 Oct 7, 2010
GladtobeGone was embezzling funds from clients, that is why she was fired, dont listen to her bullsheet.
MrPhil2u

Murfreesboro, TN

#21 Dec 21, 2010
I am on layoff and took the basic tax course and had a great experience and a great instructor. I scored 94 and was offered a job. I accepted and went to the first day of orientation. I was not impressed with the management to say the least. The work rules of HRB were like a slave labor camp. It is a "will work for food" operation for intelligent poor people to learn to take money from less intelligent poor people. I plan to volunteer with the IRS VITA program.
RogerG

Tulsa, OK

#22 Dec 26, 2010
MrPhil2u wrote:
I am on layoff and took the basic tax course and had a great experience and a great instructor. I scored 94 and was offered a job. I accepted and went to the first day of orientation. I was not impressed with the management to say the least. The work rules of HRB were like a slave labor camp. It is a "will work for food" operation for intelligent poor people to learn to take money from less intelligent poor people. I plan to volunteer with the IRS VITA program.
Would you like to give any specifics of what you found objectionable?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

H and R Block Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
H&R Block Emerald card (Jan '08) Mon lyndsey 271
HR block sucks (Apr '11) May 22 jewels 57
hr block lost my files!! - they have no idea wh... (Mar '11) May 19 Aldona 7
Payroll direct deposit on emerald card? (Aug '08) Apr 30 tnt 9
Do NOT go to H & R Block (Mar '06) Apr 29 summer 684
H & R Block's system hacked? (Mar '06) Apr '15 Mark 12
News H&R Block reviews: your taxes are worth a Secon... (Mar '12) Apr '15 broderickjoens 157
More from around the web