Do NOT go to H & R Block
Ashley

Statesville, NC

#141 Jan 30, 2008
i spoke with the operations manager at the bank and he informed me that they usually get refunds around 4am cst and by law they have to be posted no later than 8am cst. so the chances of them deposited today are very slim. his name is tracy. $8168545882.. he has been very helpful.... he is the only one at that WHOLE bank that has been helpful ... also $5123423700 that is the US teasury dept.. (not hr block bank treasury) they can confirm the glitch.... speak with brenda... she can also confirm when it was sent back to hr block bank
Josh

Seattle, WA

#142 Jan 30, 2008
I had the same issue with the direct deposit not going to my Emerald Card and bouncing back to the IRS because of the erroneous account number. The district manager I spoke with said that there would be another attempt to direct deposit this Friday February 1st. However, when I called the IRS helpline they indicated that a paper check was scheduled to be mailed on February 8th. It would be nice if the direct deposit would go through on Friday and I (like alot of people) was counting on having this money by then. I am not, however, going to hold my breath for it. I image I will see a check on or around the 12th or 13th.
I am attempting to call the 800 HRB-LOCK customer service number as I type this email. I want to tell them that I shouldn't be penalized if I am late on repaying my Emerald Advance because of this glitch in the system. I have on hold for 15 minutes and have yet to speak to an actual human being, so I am not holding my breath on that score either.
I definitely have the H & R Block "hold music" memorized by now. What a frustrating and unyieldingly inhuman process this is!
jen

Blairstown, NJ

#143 Jan 31, 2008
next yr jackson hewitt baby big mistake in 2008 is h & r block cant post money to save a life
kelly d

Avon Lake, OH

#144 Feb 7, 2008
CLEVELAND OHIO,
H AND R BLOCK SUCKS NOT ONLY DO THEY SCREW UP YOUR TAXES AND NOT ONLY DO THEY MAKE MISATKES WHEN YOU TELL THEM ABOUT IT THEY ACT LIKE YOU HAVE NO IDEAL OF WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT. AND IF YOU THINK THAT THEY ARE AS GOOD AS WHAT YOU THINK YOU JUST WAIT UNTILL ONE DAY WHEN THEY DO MAKE A MISTAKE THEN YOU WILL BE SORRY AND YOU WILL AGREE WITH US !AND H AND R BLOCK PEOPLE SHOULD GET MORE EXPERICENCE ABOUT TAXS NOT ONLY A ONE DAY LESSON IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER AND PRENTEND LIKE THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND IF YOU ARE A H AND R REP OR A CLINET AND YOU DO AGREE WITH H AND R BLOCK JUST WAIT UNTILL THEY SCREW YOU UP ONE DAY AND THEN YOU TOO WILL BE TOTALLY MAD TOO AND NO GRAMMER PLEASE!

Since: Jul 07

New Albany, OH

#145 Feb 8, 2008
jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
My point exactly, attention to detail is what makes a good tax professional. You can talk or type all day long but when you give incomplet or incorrect information and are called on it, you shouldn't get upset about it.
You're telling her to pay attention to detail, yet, you spell "incomplete" wrong!

Touche'
kelly d

Avon Lake, OH

#146 Feb 9, 2008
ok then why shouldnt you get upset?isnt it your money you must be a tax professional you act like

yoy are saying nothing is even wrong when h and r block makes these kind of mistakes !! and you say not to get upset ya right , let that happen to you and then try to say that your not upset and stop proceting your company like i said before h and r block gives you a one day tax course and then hopefully you should know what you are doing as a tax person right? and if you still dont belive me about there one day tax course then go to there web site at www.h and r block .com

and yes always pay attention and even know that we as taxs payers trust our tax professional and we have no ideal what you are talking about we are just sitting there like we are in space or something so thats why we too need to take a course as well to learn the mistakes that a tax professional is suppose to know .

and grammer and no corrcet spelling !
john

United States

#147 Feb 9, 2008
all you whining crybabies can always go to jackson hewitt. have been going there for 10 years and no major problems so far.
Joyce

Garber, OK

#148 Feb 10, 2008
E From CA wrote:
Saw all the commercials and figured I would give HR Block a chance. Well, that was a BIG mistake. I should have went to my original accountant who was a REAL CPA. I dont think HR Block has CPAs working for them other than some people with minimal data entry skills. Anyhow, I made an appointment for 12pm noon online with a customer service rep. Making the appointment was easy and the rep was very helpful. WHen I got to the office, they didnt even know I had an appointment. So, I waited for about 15-20 minutes before being helped. The person that prepped my taxes was very friendly but far from being a CPA. She didnt speak English well and I even had to tell her how to spell things. She was reading the instructions on her computer screen a lot so that didnt put my mind at ease. I could have done that myself. Here is what made things worse. The person on the phone when I scheduled for an appointment told me it would cost $180 for the preparation. They billed me $253. Thats a pretty big jump. I could go on and on about the horrific near 2 hours I spent in there but I wont. Take my advice, DONT go to H&R Block.
I have always went to Jackson Hewitt but one time my husband decided to go to H & R Block and it ended up costing us $1200 when for 6 yrs we always got money back also that yr he made less money.
My daughter did H&R Block online this yr and they charged her $30, said she was getting back $2612. then sent her email that a number was wrong, couldn't file it and never returned her $30 to the credit card.
Ray Darrell

Mission, KS

#149 Feb 11, 2008
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I don't know how many years you are in the tax prep service, and I am not sure how good or bad you and your competitors are, but I am pretty confident that your punctuality in your comments are offsetting some people already. What? You are so busy that you can't type a capital to begin each sentense and just figure not to include the apostrophe where it should've been? You obviously has no respect for the people who will be reading this article and people can see your attitude in these comments already. I am not sure if H&R is as good as you say it is, but I can already tell that you are a somewhat hypocritical.
Jim
You are correcting grammar in a response yet you choose to write "You obviously has no respect...". You might want to look at your grammar before casting stones. As for the actual response by the Office Leader, she is correct in what she says. Just because someone is given the title CPA does not mean they know all there is to know about tax law. At H&R Block you will find people with the title EA which is an Enrolled Agent. That means alot more than CPA when it comes to tax knowledge. Most of you are also not aware that when you have a CPA prepare your return, most have a person in the back room do your return. Few do it themselves. Many will also make you sign a waiver stating if they made a mistake, the responsibility is all yours.
Ray Darrell

Mission, KS

#150 Feb 11, 2008
Cheri wrote:
<quoted text>
I have had my taxes done by H&R for many years. I always chose NOT to sign the "Peace of Mind" contract, because like many people out there, I trusted that these people knew what they were doing. Well to my surprise, I get a "Dear Taxpayer" letter from the IRS. Come to find out the lady who prepared my taxes chose to put zero's in a place where there should have been numbers! Now isn't their software supposed to check for errors like that? It would have been caught before pushing that "send" button. So now I have to payback $1500.00 to the IRS! They have agreed to pay the interest and penalties, oh thank you right?
Now the red tape doesn't just stop there. You see I can't pay the entire tax right at this time. So I have to file for an "installment". Guess what? It's going to cost me another $43.00 to file for that payment plan. Nice huh?
I do understand that people make mistakes. I can forgive that. But my tax preparer was a human, using a machine, that should have caught a human mistake. Turbo Tax does it, why can't the "advanced" software from H&R do that?
Also, that Peace of Mind Contract, should have been purchased. Even if you don't need it. I learned my lesson on that. It's not the people I don't trust, it's their software. If it can't detect a little oops it will send it off anyway, and you end up paying what the mistake was, even more by the time you are done with it.
H&R charges outrages fees and I sure thought that behind those fees, they would back up their work, just a little, without purchasing that "peace of mind contract". If you have to purchase something like that, then I guess they really don't have faith in themselves like that.
H&R has lost my business for good. I'm going elsewhere to file my taxes from now on. Never again do I want to be put through something like this. It's costing me more than if I did the mistake myself.
Turbo Tax states "We guarantee our calculations" What exactly does that mean? It means the software can add and subtract correctly. It does not know, nor does any software know if you are inputting a wrong number. As for not making a mistake; have you ever made or received a "wrong number" phone call? Peace of Mind is there for you so if a Tax Preparer inputs a wrong number, you will be covered for the tax liabilty up to $5000. NO OTHER place that prepares taxes will offer that to you at ANY PRICE much less $30.
Ray Darrell

Mission, KS

#151 Feb 11, 2008
Brad wrote:
Did anyone mention how high H & R Block's prices are? Why do you have to have a peace of mind contract and pay extra for it? I know for a fact that Liberty Tax stands behind their work and if there is a mistake that they made, they will pay the penalties and probably do the next year's taxes for free without paying extra for a "contract." You normally get to talk to an owner about your problem instead of an H & R Block supervisor as well. Why would anyone pay Block's fees? What a rip off. I went to Liberty and they even advised me on how to do my taxes for free and invited me to a free tax course to learn more. I got all that for about $100.
They will pay the penalties and interest maybe but they will NOT pay the additional tax. Ask them if you don't believe me. Ask them how much training, both initial and ongoing, their tax pros are required to take.
Ray Darrell

Mission, KS

#152 Feb 11, 2008
kira wrote:
Is a woman honestly not allowed to file head of household... and would that make a difference in the amount on my return?! My tax preparer at H&R this year was a man who would not let me file head of house even though my husband is a student and can only work part time.
You CAN'T file Head of Household if you are married!!! You have two choices: Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate.
Josh

Seattle, WA

#153 Feb 11, 2008
As an addendum to my earlier post:

Not only did I not receive my refund direct deposited to the card, I just found out from the IRS that my address was entered incorrectly by the preparer. Now the check has been sent by the IRS but it will not get to my address. It will then be returned to sender. Right now I am convinced I will never receive my money. I have filed a formal complaint with Block which, in my mind, is the equivalent of complaining about Vlad Putin to the KGB.

And I am still on hold with H & R Block.
samuel h

Florissant, MO

#154 Feb 12, 2008
i am never going there again either. they charged me $250 just for preparing mine. but what gets me is the amount of mistakes that i had to correct them a lot because they did not take their time to make sure that they plug in the numbers right. they wanted to claim that i had thousands more in capital gains than what i had. i would of had to pay in. the preparer just read the instructions on the screen and could not even read the numbers and put them in right. at one point the lady accidently pressed the numb lock button and could not figure out why she could not enter any more numbers until i pointed it out to her. They went to the last page a half dozen times before i could not find any mistakes. Next year i am just doing it myself and turbotax efile for $15.95 save over $200 and all the trouble.
TMM309

United States

#155 Feb 12, 2008
"puntuation"? LMFAO.
Amy wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not know where you received your high and mighty degree in English grammar, but you should give it back! It is puntuation, not puntuality; a statement may be off-setting TO someone, but it cannot off-set someone; sentence is spelled with one s and one c, not two s's; hypocritical means the writer says one thing and does another, which impossible for you to infer from this writing; and your verb tense in several sentances, including the first, is incorrect. The sentance should read, "Well, I don't know how many years you have been in [the] tax prep service ...." And the fourth should read, "You obviously have no respect ...."
You know what they say: People in glass houses should not throw stones.
kelly d

Avon Lake, OH

#156 Feb 12, 2008
Emily1081 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're telling her to pay attention to detail, yet, you spell "incomplete" wrong!
Touche'
you know jeff just because you think that you are a expert in doing peoples taxes you may not be so instead of trying to correct someone why cant you just say something postive !
cliff

Columbus, OH

#157 Feb 13, 2008
Do not go to H&R Block..first of all they dont know wht they r doin..and once u r there..they make u pay..they cannot answer ur questions..

after my personal experience..i strongly discourage anyone to visit H&R Block..
kyle

AOL

#158 Feb 13, 2008
I will never do hr block again. i do my own taxes every year, but this year i thought lets get our money before a weekend. i comlpeted tax forms myself, as i have done before. took them in for them to simply efile and get one of the emerald cards. well we found out 3 days later after being told we would have money within 48hrs that we weren't eligible for the 2 day because of some back child support. no big deal, but the lady had wrote the wrong phone number down, so nobody called us. then tells us we would not be charged any fees. 10 days later when we got the refund they charged us 130.00. said it was their fee for efile! i think that should be illegal. irs website only charge 15,never, again will i use this incompetent group
Linda

United States

#159 Feb 15, 2008
Two week ago I call H & R Block asked for preparation fee they are going to charge me. The incompetent tax preparer told me that about $185 to $240. I said this is way too much to prepare a return. Then I went on line used Tobo Tax, take about 50 minutes to finished the entire tax return. The cost was $29.99 and I received my check today. Thank you all that have provide me with this untrusted company.
Holland

Hillsboro, OR

#160 Feb 20, 2008
went to my local H&R block. the rep on the phone said they charge between $80-120. the people there were nice. 2 old ladys. cost me a little over $200. I only made around $10,000 last year so $200 is a big chunk out of my return. everything they did on the computer seemed easy enough that i could do it if i had the access to the material. got my return in 2 days on a h&r block mastercard. credit uninon atm's wont take them. so i had to got to some bank that charged my 2 bucks to get my money...i hate the irs and their illegal income tax.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

H and R Block Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
H&R Block "Peace of Mind", or a big Scam? (Mar '08) Jul '16 CracklinRosy 112
noncompete clause Jul '16 Taxmonster 2
H & R Block's system hacked? (Mar '06) Jul '16 YouAreWrongThen 14
H and R block mistake (Apr '08) Jun '16 UAINTIT 22
H&R Block Emerald card (Jan '08) May '16 lovinlife 275
HR Block Bank Direct Deposit and Emerald Pre pa... (Dec '06) May '16 Linda 793
hrblock prepaid master card( emerald card) (Dec '07) May '16 JANALOITZ 154
More from around the web