Do NOT go to H & R Block
RJT

Chester, CT

#404 Feb 11, 2011
P.S...If they cannot find their mistake or illistrate to me in detail why my return this year is so drastically different from years past, I will pick up my file, not pay them a cent and go back to Liberty where I should have gone to in the first place....Lessons learned...
Why not try and

Ottawa, KS

#405 Feb 11, 2011
RJT wrote:
I am in the middle of a H&R pickle. We usually go to Liberty Tax and have had great returns there but decided this year to us H&R. Bad decision! At Liberty, we usually get $3,500-$4,500 back as a refund over the last several years. This year, our income and other assets/liabilities are similar to years past, however, after sitting down with the H&R rep, he had to make several inquiries to other staff and was reading all the computer instructions as he went, then saying our return would be $322. Another staff member found an entry mistake but it did not change the result. He then asked if we had a copy of last years return and asked of we could bring it in to compare. I told him DO NOT do another thing with my file untile we get last years to him and I want an explanation before I pay them or it is final. I cant imagine why this return should be that much different from years past. They are in my sights for a law suit if they give my hard earned money back to Uncle Sam!
educate yourself just a little about income taxes. You know, read an article or two about it. You should know a little bit about what you are complaining about before you act the fool and threaten to sue.
Linda

Beaumont, CA

#406 Feb 11, 2011
H&R Block prefers to hire new people, who often don't have any accounting degree. The company prefers to let experinced people go. The pay is very low. H&R Block demands a lot and gives a little. They don't care about their employees or clients.
Dumb or dumber

Bucyrus, KS

#407 Feb 11, 2011
RJT wrote:
P.S...If they cannot find their mistake or illistrate to me in detail why my return this year is so drastically different from years past, I will pick up my file, not pay them a cent and go back to Liberty where I should have gone to in the first place....Lessons learned...
You haven't learned a thing. Liberty is just a reincarnation of H&R Block. Keep posting, you are looking dumber with each one you write.
Where have you been

United States

#408 Feb 11, 2011
Linda wrote:
H&R Block prefers to hire new people, who often don't have any accounting degree. The company prefers to let experinced people go. The pay is very low. H&R Block demands a lot and gives a little. They don't care about their employees or clients.
What decent accountant would work for an H&R Block? They continue to hire non-professionals because that is all they can get.
Hey mad guy

United States

#409 Feb 11, 2011
RJT wrote:
You wouldn't understand the return if it was explained to you anyway. I know this because you are dumb enough to go to Block and Liberty in the first place. Keep making smart choices and go to Hewitt next, then you can say you've been stupid enough to try all the non-professional chain preparers.
Kay

Lawrence, KS

#410 Feb 12, 2011
stayinhappy wrote:
I am an HR Block professional of 10 years. At my office we all strive to give each client the highest level and quality of tax service they deserve.
I am sure you are great at your job and that is appreciated. I had my taxes filed at H & R block last year and it was fine. When I went back this year the guy was so rude and made snibe comments. I was so offended that I walked out. I feel I am a polite person and have never written a bad review, but I was so astonished that I felt this should be mentioned.
You are too stupid

United States

#411 Feb 12, 2011
HRBEA wrote:
<quoted text> I am refering to the upper level certification test that block requires for advancement. You are obviously not aware of how Block preparers advance, a very small percentage are new preparers. Check the business card it has the cert. level listed and also check tax pro finder and you can see the years of service and cert. level of any employee.
to realize how much you don't know about taxes. I know this because you think HR employees are competent.
You snobbish fool

United States

#412 Feb 12, 2011
A CPA responds wrote:
<quoted text>
To write such a comment you must be an EA. Your comments are just an advertisement for EAs.
H&R Block workers are not professionals. They are mostly part time seasonal workers. Many of this lightly trained, inexperienced, and not paid much either. You'd be better off reading up a little and doing your own taxes than trusting H&R Block.
I'm a CPA and your comment that we don't study or keep up on taxes is a joke. Taxes are an integral part of the CPA examination. Most states require 40 hours a year on continuing education and many CPA's take as much of that in tax as possible and do even more.
I have seen the work of many EA's. It is often unsophisticated and knowledgeable EAs are nothings.
I have corrected work done by Block flunkies, CPAs, and other EAs. There are incompetents everywhere, especially at Block. Your attitude toward, apparently all EAs, is very childish.
Jane

Tulsa, OK

#413 Feb 13, 2011
RJT wrote:
I am in the middle of a H&R pickle. We usually go to Liberty Tax and have had great returns there but decided this year to us H&R. Bad decision! At Liberty, we usually get $3,500-$4,500 back as a refund over the last several years. This year, our income and other assets/liabilities are similar to years past, however, after sitting down with the H&R rep, he had to make several inquiries to other staff and was reading all the computer instructions as he went, then saying our return would be $322. Another staff member found an entry mistake but it did not change the result. He then asked if we had a copy of last years return and asked of we could bring it in to compare. I told him DO NOT do another thing with my file untile we get last years to him and I want an explanation before I pay them or it is final. I cant imagine why this return should be that much different from years past. They are in my sights for a law suit if they give my hard earned money back to Uncle Sam!
I'd say that if your return from last year is "very similar" (which it probably isn't), then your results should be fairly close. If I were you, what I'd be most concerned about isn't whether the Block return is wrong, but what if Liberty had been doing it wrong? Oops, can you say IRS problems?

To all of the whiners on this board - do it yourself! Tax software is cheap! Chances are you'll screw it up big time, but at least you won't be complaining about something that you know nothing about. Then, if you really mess things up you can sue yourself!
Me Tarzan You Jane

Chanute, KS

#414 Feb 13, 2011
Jane wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd say that if your return from last year is "very similar" (which it probably isn't), then your results should be fairly close. If I were you, what I'd be most concerned about isn't whether the Block return is wrong, but what if Liberty had been doing it wrong? Oops, can you say IRS problems?
To all of the whiners on this board - do it yourself! Tax software is cheap! Chances are you'll screw it up big time, but at least you won't be complaining about something that you know nothing about. Then, if you really mess things up you can sue yourself!
You don't get it, Jane. The people who go to Block, Hewitt, or Liberty for tax service are too stupid to read and figure out their own returns. "Do your own" software is only good if you are smart enough to read.
Karen

United States

#415 Feb 13, 2011
For several years I used H&R Block services to help me prepare my taxes, and this year was the WORST! It seems as if the locations remain the same,but there's a high turnover of tax preparers. The preparers appear to read directly from the screen and lack little knowledge about the ins and outs of tax preparations. After years of allowing H&R prepare my taxes, I'm calling it QUITS.
Jane

Tulsa, OK

#416 Feb 14, 2011
Karen wrote:
For several years I used H&R Block services to help me prepare my taxes, and this year was the WORST! It seems as if the locations remain the same,but there's a high turnover of tax preparers. The preparers appear to read directly from the screen and lack little knowledge about the ins and outs of tax preparations. After years of allowing H&R prepare my taxes, I'm calling it QUITS.
Just a thought, but why don't you have one of the preparers you liked previously prepare your taxes instead of just taking a chance on getting a good one? You can make an appointment with whichever tax pro you want. If you just walk into a retail tax shop you never know what type of tax pro you're going to get.
Misleading Jane

Chanute, KS

#417 Feb 14, 2011
Jane wrote:
<quoted text>
Just a thought, but why don't you have one of the preparers you liked previously prepare your taxes instead of just taking a chance on getting a good one? You can make an appointment with whichever tax pro you want. If you just walk into a retail tax shop you never know what type of tax pro you're going to get.
Don't call a person who works at one of these ripoff joints a "tax pro!" They are incompetent, minimum wage buffoons.
Edward A

Eastpointe, MI

#418 Mar 7, 2011
Tax Pro wrote:
I respect all of your comments as all of your situations vary. I have worked for Block for two years and have just recently passed the 3-part Enrolled Agent exam administered by the IRS. This was made possible due to the excellent courses provided by H&R Block. As a consumer, you will experience both good and bad tax preparers whether they are CPA's, H&R Block Tax Pros, or Enrolled Agents. It is up to the diligence and professional and ethical quality of each individual tax preparer that constitutes a bad experience. A bad experience with a single person does not deem the whole organization (H&R Block) to be inept. Just as one bad CPA does not deem all CPA's to be bad. At least with block, you have the option to be protected under thier "Peace of Mind" plan which will be hard to find a comparison in the private sector of tax preperation. Another misconception is that having a CPA makes one a good tax preparer. Taxation, tax law, and theory is a very very small part of passing the CPA exam and is little more than a sidenote in the 4 year education in Accounting. More precisely, 1 or 2 classes in taxation are required by most Educational institutions when pursuing an accounting degree. With H&R Block, you get an individual who recieved detailed and specialized training in Taxation and updated that training yearly as mandatory policy dictates. I work at a year-round district office, and most of my post tax season duties are to correct and amend the mistakes of individuals who had thier taxes done by CPA's, ma and pa tax preperation offices, and the infamous TURBOTAX victims. I urge all those with doubts to bad experiences to give H&R Block further consideration. You will get experienced and dedicated preparers who stay current with all the changes in tax law, and a company that supports you, the taxpayer. We are on your side.
Thank You,
Kirk M.
I am a CPA, who took the H&R Block tax course for fun.. It is true that tax courses are a small part of an accounting degree, but those courses are way more comprehensive than the H& R Block tax courses. Although Block offers advanced classes, the information in the classes is taught in more detail in accounting classes. First year tax preparers at Block have a basic understanding of the tax forms and the software aids them in knowing where to put some of the info, but if you have sold stocks, bonds,mutual funds or have rental property or have your own business don't go to H&R Block. If your filing a 1040EZ go Block.
Allan Shanks

Kingston, Canada

#419 Mar 8, 2011
H&R block have never made a mistake with my taxes in the dozen or so years I've used them. Maybe everyone else here is a retard.
Allan Shanks

Kingston, Canada

#420 Mar 8, 2011
Oh yeah, the one year I used a snooty private local firm they actually screwed my return up. Turned out I owed an extra $500. The guy who screwed it up has told me H&R Block was "bush league"
You are too stupid

Topeka, KS

#421 Mar 8, 2011
Allan Shanks wrote:
H&R block have never made a mistake with my taxes in the dozen or so years I've used them. Maybe everyone else here is a retard.
to know if they've made a mistake or not. You must be the retard.
Booth

Englewood, CO

#422 Mar 18, 2011
Stop being an a hole.
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I don't know how many years you are in the tax prep service, and I am not sure how good or bad you and your competitors are, but I am pretty confident that your punctuality in your comments are offsetting some people already. What? You are so busy that you can't type a capital to begin each sentense and just figure not to include the apostrophe where it should've been? You obviously has no respect for the people who will be reading this article and people can see your attitude in these comments already. I am not sure if H&R is as good as you say it is, but I can already tell that you are a somewhat hypocritical.
dave

Canada

#423 Mar 25, 2011
I definatly would never do my own taxes regardless of how simple they seem. I got audited at the same time as recieving chemo for stage 4 cancer. Auditors took the boots to Me saying I earned over a hundred thousand dollars more than declared. They had my bank records that showed I actually lost more than declared. I was too sick to respond to questions. An accountant could have handled this if I used one. These auditors dont care about anything but getting money, even if it kills You.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

H and R Block Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
H&R Block "Peace of Mind", or a big Scam? (Mar '08) Aug 8 Jallen1956 120
My paycheck direct deposit! Jul '17 Shay 1
News H&R Block reviews: your taxes are worth a Secon... (Mar '12) Jun '17 Chucklethe Truck 160
H and R block mistake (Apr '08) Jun '17 Gayle 30
hrblock prepaid master card( emerald card) (Dec '07) May '17 Dictionary 159
HR block sucks (Apr '11) May '17 Roy 74
H&R Block Emerald card (Jan '08) Apr '17 Butterfly 285
More from around the web