First Prev
of 34
Next Last
E From CA

United States

#1 Mar 10, 2006
Saw all the commercials and figured I would give HR Block a chance. Well, that was a BIG mistake. I should have went to my original accountant who was a REAL CPA. I dont think HR Block has CPAs working for them other than some people with minimal data entry skills. Anyhow, I made an appointment for 12pm noon online with a customer service rep. Making the appointment was easy and the rep was very helpful. WHen I got to the office, they didnt even know I had an appointment. So, I waited for about 15-20 minutes before being helped. The person that prepped my taxes was very friendly but far from being a CPA. She didnt speak English well and I even had to tell her how to spell things. She was reading the instructions on her computer screen a lot so that didnt put my mind at ease. I could have done that myself. Here is what made things worse. The person on the phone when I scheduled for an appointment told me it would cost $180 for the preparation. They billed me $253. Thats a pretty big jump. I could go on and on about the horrific near 2 hours I spent in there but I wont. Take my advice, DONT go to H&R Block.
Tricia

Baltimore, MD

#2 Mar 22, 2006
He's right! Come to Liberty Tax Service. If we quote you a price we stick to it and we wont try to sell you a bogus IRA either.
carl

San Gabriel, CA

#3 Mar 30, 2006
Tricia wrote:
He's right! Come to Liberty Tax Service. If we quote you a price we stick to it and we wont try to sell you a bogus IRA either.
I called Liberty for a quote and they would not give me one over the phone. Is this normal ?
Tricia

United States

#4 Apr 1, 2006
carl wrote:
<quoted text>

I called Liberty for a quote and they would not give me one over the phone. Is this normal ?
Not in Indiana, it isn't. Here we use a short interview process on the phone to give you the best quote possible. We base that quote on the information provided by the customer. I'm not sure how they do things in california.
Khabir Muttalib

United States

#5 Apr 5, 2006
E From CA wrote:
Saw all the commercials and figured I would give HR Block a chance. Well, that was a BIG mistake. I should have went to my original accountant who was a REAL CPA. I dont think HR Block has CPAs working for them other than some people with minimal data entry skills. Anyhow, I made an appointment for 12pm noon online with a customer service rep. Making the appointment was easy and the rep was very helpful. WHen I got to the office, they didnt even know I had an appointment. So, I waited for about 15-20 minutes before being helped. The person that prepped my taxes was very friendly but far from being a CPA. She didnt speak English well and I even had to tell her how to spell things. She was reading the instructions on her computer screen a lot so that didnt put my mind at ease. I could have done that myself. Here is what made things worse. The person on the phone when I scheduled for an appointment told me it would cost $180 for the preparation. They billed me $253. Thats a pretty big jump. I could go on and on about the horrific near 2 hours I spent in there but I wont. Take my advice, DONT go to H&R Block.
I received a civil case paer in the mail to fill out and return for possible money.. did you receive one? if so i lost mine and need a copy/another one...if you do or know how to get one can you email me? Khabr km90036@yahoo.com
Khabir Muttalib

United States

#6 Apr 5, 2006
I received a civil case paer in the mail to fill out and return for possible money.. did any one receive one? if so i lost mine and need a copy/another one...if you do or know how to get one can you email me? name: Khabir
email: km90036@yahoo.com

Thanks
stayinhappy

United States

#7 Apr 5, 2006
I am an HR Block professional of 10 years. At my office we all strive to give each client the highest level and quality of tax service they deserve.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Amy BOO

Suwanee, GA

#8 Jun 16, 2006
they always give me money.
Wendy

Burbank, CA

#9 Jul 5, 2006
After my CPA got me audited twice, i decided to go with the much more inexpensive alternative--H&R Block. Not only did I not get audited for 2005 taxes. They went back and amended the 2003 and 2004 taxes and now the IRS re-owes me money they took away in those audits. I think it's good to remember that a 4 year degree doesn't deem anyone an expert in anything.
quick bucks

Cleveland, OH

#10 Oct 6, 2006
I agree that a 4 year degree does not make anyone an expert but I have dealt with the most ignorant people at the H & R Block in the Cleveland, Ohio are that I will never use them again.

They wanted to charge me $350 for my taxes. My CPA was cheaper and H & R cannot get me back my W2's.

They are training people off the street to "data input" your return.

I have a 4 year degree and will save the $350 and do it myself.
henry b

Youngsville, LA

#11 Nov 21, 2006
h and r block is not just data entry,i teach the preparers in my district.i teach them tax theory,how to do returns by hand and in the computer.i also dont let first or second year tax preparers do complicated returns.at h and r block you are required to take 30 hours of continuing education and pass a test.we also have certification levels,that means you have to have so many hours and pass a certain amount of tests to move up a level.when you pass our course with an 80 or higher,you are a tax associate.the more advanced classes you take the higher your certification gets.theres tax associate,tax advisor 1,2,3,4,senior tax advisor 1,2,3,4,and master tax advisor.these certification levels are on the bottom of your preparers cards.someone who passes the basic test is capable of doing most normal everyday returns.if you are selfemployed(small business),you should take the time to schedule yourself an appointment with a tax preparer thats a tax advisor 3 or higher.if you have rental income and a larger business than you should talk to a senior tax advisor.in my office we match our clients with the right preparer.i want the clients in my office to be tottally satisfied,i believe that if i can help my clients succeed i will succeed.i ask of all of you that you listen to everyone with an open mind.we cant be mistake free in anything we do,but we can admit when we are wrong and fix our problem.if theres anything else you would like to ask,please do,i take pride in helping people,its what h and r block has instilled in us from day 1.
Jim

Homestead, FL

#12 Dec 11, 2006
henry b wrote:
h and r block is not just data entry,i teach the preparers in my district.i teach them tax theory,how to do returns by hand and in the computer.i also dont let first or second year tax preparers do complicated returns.at h and r block you are required to take 30 hours of continuing education and pass a test.we also have certification levels,that means you have to have so many hours and pass a certain amount of tests to move up a level.when you pass our course with an 80 or higher,you are a tax associate.the more advanced classes you take the higher your certification gets.theres tax associate,tax advisor 1,2,3,4,senior tax advisor 1,2,3,4,and master tax advisor.these certification levels are on the bottom of your preparers cards.someone who passes the basic test is capable of doing most normal everyday returns.if you are selfemployed(small business),you should take the time to schedule yourself an appointment with a tax preparer thats a tax advisor 3 or higher.if you have rental income and a larger business than you should talk to a senior tax advisor.in my office we match our clients with the right preparer.i want the clients in my office to be tottally satisfied,i believe that if i can help my clients succeed i will succeed.i ask of all of you that you listen to everyone with an open mind.we cant be mistake free in anything we do,but we can admit when we are wrong and fix our problem.if theres anything else you would like to ask,please do,i take pride in helping people,its what h and r block has instilled in us from day 1.
Well, I don't know how many years you are in the tax prep service, and I am not sure how good or bad you and your competitors are, but I am pretty confident that your punctuality in your comments are offsetting some people already. What? You are so busy that you can't type a capital to begin each sentense and just figure not to include the apostrophe where it should've been? You obviously has no respect for the people who will be reading this article and people can see your attitude in these comments already. I am not sure if H&R is as good as you say it is, but I can already tell that you are a somewhat hypocritical.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Tchhichhia

Valhalla, NY

#13 Dec 20, 2006
Hi,
I fully agree with the opinion of every person who thinks that the H &R Offices are full of Data entry clerks with one semi qualified accountant, who is ignorant and clueless.
I have been waiting for my refund for 6 months and have been informed by IRS that no returns have been filed for me, every tim eI complain to H & R they keep on telling me to wait, I am seriously considering tougher actions against them here...
TC
Amy

Sacramento, CA

#14 Dec 20, 2006
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I don't know how many years you are in the tax prep service, and I am not sure how good or bad you and your competitors are, but I am pretty confident that your punctuality in your comments are offsetting some people already. What? You are so busy that you can't type a capital to begin each sentense and just figure not to include the apostrophe where it should've been? You obviously has no respect for the people who will be reading this article and people can see your attitude in these comments already. I am not sure if H&R is as good as you say it is, but I can already tell that you are a somewhat hypocritical.
I do not know where you received your high and mighty degree in English grammar, but you should give it back! It is puntuation, not puntuality; a statement may be off-setting TO someone, but it cannot off-set someone; sentence is spelled with one s and one c, not two s's; hypocritical means the writer says one thing and does another, which impossible for you to infer from this writing; and your verb tense in several sentances, including the first, is incorrect. The sentance should read, "Well, I don't know how many years you have been in [the] tax prep service ...." And the fourth should read, "You obviously have no respect ...."

You know what they say: People in glass houses should not throw stones.
John

Shreveport, LA

#15 Dec 24, 2006
Amy wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not know where you received your high and mighty degree in English grammar, but you should give it back! It is puntuation, not puntuality; a statement may be off-setting TO someone, but it cannot off-set someone; sentence is spelled with one s and one c, not two s's; hypocritical means the writer says one thing and does another, which impossible for you to infer from this writing; and your verb tense in several sentances, including the first, is incorrect. The sentance should read, "Well, I don't know how many years you have been in [the] tax prep service ...." And the fourth should read, "You obviously have no respect ...."
You know what they say: People in glass houses should not throw stones.
You should not say anything yourself for the following reasons:
1. "which impossible for you to infer from this writing;" requires a verb after the word which.
2. It is sentences not "sentances"
Santiba

Cape Elizabeth, ME

#16 Jan 3, 2007
Lol, Well since everyone is arguing about grammer and punctuation I'll just tell you all that I've had nothing but great experiences with H&R Block. I have a child and pay a lot of exspenses out all year long. They have helped me retrieve a lot of my spendings back :o) People in these discussions do have a point that sometimes data entry professionals do make individuals cringe at the fact they may not be getting all they deserve but I am almost positive that with their training they will do all they can to make you the most money
Leo

Atlanta, GA

#17 Jan 5, 2007
henry b wrote:
I don't know if you know it or not but some people cheat on exams. I imagine it wouldn't be very hard to get a copy of the answers. Kids seem to be able to do it in university without any problem.
Leo

Atlanta, GA

#18 Jan 5, 2007
Myself and my wife went to H&R for two years. The first time there wasn't any problem. Last year we had our income tax done by H&R Block and we both received a refund. My wife received a refund of 760.00. Yesterday, Jan. 04 she received a letter from revenue Canada saying she owes then 1506.00 including interest for the past year. We went back to revwnue canada and they checked the file and the data from her t4 slips was entered wrong.
they will pay the interest but we have to pay the rest. Not a very nice Christmas present. we have to come up with $1400.00. If they had done it right the first time we would have paid the 600 + dollars back then and be finished with it. We won't be going back to H&R Block again
Leo

Atlanta, GA

#19 Jan 5, 2007
The above should read "we went back to H&R Block and they checked the file and the data from her t4 slip was entered wrong."
Steven H

United States

#20 Jan 13, 2007
Actually, it would be rather difficult for one to cheat on the exam. The exam consists of a long drawn out return consisting of depreciation, Schedule C, and various other forms that must be filled out and completed. I do not consider myself an english major; however, I do have to say that H&R Block employees ARE taught how to take proper care of a client, it is the TAX PREPARERS job to follow those teachings. At this time you should insist on speaking to the DISTRICT manager and discuss with them your problem. I must apologize to Tchhichhia that you have had such a disappointing experience. In my opinion employees that do not try to provide the best customer service possible are in the wrong and make the rest of the employees look bad.
Sincerely,
Steven H

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 34
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

H and R Block Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HR block sucks (Apr '11) 22 hr JRR 56
H & R Block's system hacked? (Mar '06) Apr 20 Mark 12
News H&R Block reviews: your taxes are worth a Secon... (Mar '12) Apr 8 broderickjoens 157
H&R Block "Peace of Mind", or a big Scam? (Mar '08) Apr 8 Aly 108
HR Block Bank Direct Deposit and Emerald Pre pa... (Dec '06) Apr 1 manda 786
First-Time Home Buyer Tax Credit 2012 (Jan '12) Mar '15 DamienCarl 79
Who has worked for H&R Block? (Oct '08) Mar '15 Mama 56
More from around the web