H&R Block reviews: your taxes are worth a Second Look

Feb 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Daily Dispatch

Through April 30, participating H&R Block tax offices will offer taxpayers free Second Look reviews of their 2008-2010 income tax returns not prepared by H&R Block .

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of150
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
frustrated in Texas

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Judged:

I've been a Turbo Tax user for many years, however, this year for my corporate tax return I decided to use H&R Block Business. What a mistake, the time an effort that it took was certainly not worth the effort and the $40.00 worth of difference between the costs of H&R Block Business versus Turbo Tax. Turbo Tax is more user friendly and easier to use and H&R Block's technical support leaves a lot to be desired. My advice, use Turbo Tax, it's certainly worth paying the little bit more it cost when you consider what your time is worth.
LOLOLOLOLOL

Springfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

Judged:

H&R ARE A JOKE
they expect you to know everything and what you can right off or use in your taxes, if you dont bring it in they do not tell you what might help you or anything, in other words you bring in all the info, they just put it in and if you forget anything, they dont tell ya or have any clue, not worth the money i agree, use turbo tax
Agent Timothy McGee

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2012

Judged:

The OP might have had a point in comparing his/her pov on software packages. As they say, to each their own.

Obviously, however, the follow-up comments are from haters who, first, cannot use proper grammar and, second, can't get past calling people derogatory names. If you take their advice to heart, then good luck.

If you have any qualms about dealing with an HRB office on a 2nd-look issue (but are otherwise interested) call the office beforehand and ask to speak with the office manager. Tell him/her that you'd like to come in and *MAKE CLEAR* you want to deal with a veteran preparer and/or one with extensive experience in your particular area of filing.

These are requests that are easily met and honored. Then take all of your documentation in for your 2008 - 2011 returns and know that the reviews will be make w/o charge. If the preparer notes a discrepancy, ask him or her to show it to you in Publication 17 (put out by the IRS) why they disagree with your CPA, accountant, or whomever did your return.
Agent Turbo Tax

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2012

Judged:

Agent Timothy McGee wrote:
The OP might have had a point in comparing his/her pov on software packages. As they say, to each their own.
Obviously, however, the follow-up comments are from haters who, first, cannot use proper grammar and, second, can't get past calling people derogatory names. If you take their advice to heart, then good luck.
If you have any qualms about dealing with an HRB office on a 2nd-look issue (but are otherwise interested) call the office beforehand and ask to speak with the office manager. Tell him/her that you'd like to come in and *MAKE CLEAR* you want to deal with a veteran preparer and/or one with extensive experience in your particular area of filing.
These are requests that are easily met and honored. Then take all of your documentation in for your 2008 - 2011 returns and know that the reviews will be make w/o charge. If the preparer notes a discrepancy, ask him or her to show it to you in Publication 17 (put out by the IRS) why they disagree with your CPA, accountant, or whomever did your return.
You guys have been left in the dust.
terri

Macon, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2012

Judged:

DO NOT WASTE YOUR $$$ ON H&R BLOCK! These people are not up to date with the tax laws! Unless you can tell them how it needs to be done, they will give your $$$ to our Government!
Agent Timothy McGee

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2012

Judged:

If your collected wisdom on all things taxes is that Jackson Hewitt is da bomb, then guess that's what we get to read here when people decide to type after hitting da bong.
a unsatisfied customer

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2012

Judged:

i went to h&r block in early march 2012 and they turned around and told me that i couldnt claim my daughter on eitc this year because she was tooo old shes only 14 but i could claim my son thats ten. i am a single mom so i need all the help i can get since i dont get help from the dad of my kids. and i took my forms to someone else and they told me that it was a bunch bull**** that they told me. so i had to pay someone else to fix H&R blocks messup. wow never going there again.
Jess

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2012

Judged:

I can assure you we are not monkeys working here. AS a receptionist I do get the blunt end of many angry customers. We dont appreciate it, please dont take your anger out on anybody really. The best way to resolve your issues is by remaining calm and explaining everything clearly atleast in Canada this always works
CutieBUNZ

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2012

Judged:

H&R block did my taxes online and everything went by smoothly.. you just have to have someone who is educated in that field to help you with your taxes .. and just know what you are talking about
Agent Timothy McGee

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2012

Judged:

timmy mcgee wrote:
<quoted text>
"da-bomb?" I called them d-bags. Are you on drugs, or do you just have a hard time reading?
No, my reading comprehension is spot-on. My post said what it was meant to.
Agent Timothy McGee

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2012

Judged:

Jess wrote:
I can assure you we are not monkeys working here. AS a receptionist I do get the blunt end of many angry customers. We dont appreciate it, please dont take your anger out on anybody really. The best way to resolve your issues is by remaining calm and explaining everything clearly atleast in Canada this always works
Well said. However, for many that come here, "being calm, cool, and collected" is too much like work, thus it's avoided.

The problem is that when people run out of old Springer and Povich shows on their DVR's to catch up on, they run online and spew hate in any forum they can find it. And since everyone always has a story about how someone else screwed up their taxes, here we are.
Jeff

Fort Thomas, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2012

Judged:

People shouldn't have to request the one person who knows what they are doing when H&R Block advertises the second look claim. What you have pointed out is the lack of trained people H&R hires to key in people's taxes in to a program. They could do themselves for less. You also show what little respect you and H&R block have for your customers by pointing out their grammer, name calling etc. These people work hard for their money and people like you and H&R block are greedy opportunatist who can not be satisfied with making a decent profit but want to make a huge profit and rip people off in the process. Claim what you will but the 1 star ratings and negative reviews by all point to a continued abuse by H&R block. They tried to rip my daughter off by attempting to charge her $300 for a tax return that only required 1040ez. They claimed she couldn't use the EZ. Thankfully she called me before they swindled her. I gave it to my CPA who verified the 1040ez and did it for free along with my taxes. H&R, go sexually reproduce yourself.
Agent Timothy McGee

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2012

Judged:

Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
People shouldn't have to request the one person who knows what they are doing when H&R Block advertises the second look claim. What you have pointed out is the lack of trained people H&R hires to key in people's taxes in to a program. They could do themselves for less. You also show what little respect you and H&R block have for your customers by pointing out their grammer, name calling etc. These people work hard for their money and people like you and H&R block are greedy opportunatist who can not be satisfied with making a decent profit but want to make a huge profit and rip people off in the process. Claim what you will but the 1 star ratings and negative reviews by all point to a continued abuse by H&R block. They tried to rip my daughter off by attempting to charge her $300 for a tax return that only required 1040ez. They claimed she couldn't use the EZ. Thankfully she called me before they swindled her. I gave it to my CPA who verified the 1040ez and did it for free along with my taxes. H&R, go sexually reproduce yourself.
1. HRB is not the only place you find ill-tempered people and poor or lacking manners. Just read in this forum. Pissy people rule, apparently. I've seen it in restaurants, grocery stores, hotel lobbies, doctor's offices...you name it. To acknowledge that a problem exists doesn't mean A) You hold exclusive title to its occurrence...or B) It's the beginning, middle, and end of your experience working at your job. I'm so happy that you live and work in a happy place where all of the people you deal with kiss all 4 of your cheeks at the start & close of each day. To hear that it's not that way in the rest of the world must be scary.

2. You apparently lack reading comprehension skills. My words were "If you have any QUALMS about dealing with an HRB office on a 2nd-look issue...". Just as there are people who don't want to deal with the new kid in the store when it comes to getting their pants tailored, there are people who are afraid that *their* taxes are so special that only highly certified people, ordained by the head of the IRS itself, can address them. For those people, they can go the extra mile and seek higher assurances.

AND, do you REALLY think all CPA's are created equal when it comes to taxes? Thinking Block is doing shots with the devil but that a celestial choir resides over your CPA's shoulder and sings on a regular basis as they do their work only means you have a blind eye to their problems...such as hiring people with a modicum of the skills that even the worst-trained Block employee has to work on your precious taxes when you're not around. At the very least, HRB "newbs" have undergone an August-November tax training program. Many interns in a CPA office have..well...they've perhaps done their own taxes on Turbo Tax once or twice.

3. CPA offices make their fair share of mistakes, just as does HRB. Nobody is perfect. That you see it as just a one-way street, well I guess that's one of your unique charms in life.
Just my thought

Kahului, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2012

Judged:

Agent Timothy McGee - I know you're frustrated with the bad comments being left by unhappy customers but you should not be here arguing about it as it makes your company look bad. When an agent or a representative of a company lashes out and acts in the same behavior as the angry customer it sets a bad example of your business. Just take all this critisism with a grain of salt and move on. H&R block is a big company and can manage with or without these comments. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I've tried H&R block many years ago but found that I can prepare my taxes myself with Turbo Tax. My point is is that no matter how angry a comment makes you, dont misrepresent your company by lashing out as well.
Frustrated

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2012

Judged:

Never again will I go to HR block. The last 2 years I've used Turbo Tax online. I decided to go to HR because Turbo stated I owed a 1000 this year. I went to them thinking they knew the ins and outs of taxes. HR did the same thing I would have did at home... Fill in the blank.
I will take advice from my mother for next year and go to a CPA. If you want a good detailed look at your personal situation, don't go to HR. Its overpriced too! I paid less than a 100 for turbo. Paid 275 with HR! There commercials are just a way to get you in there. Remind you...I have no kids, no house, no property, one job to file. The lady barely spoke English. I had to tell her how to spell words. She was reading directions off the computer on how to file. She didnt put me at ease at all! I asked the lady... "U r filing this right correct? I dont want the IRS coming after me. This is why I came here. For it to be done correctly." i should have just walked out. I didnt wanna be rude. Needless to say, I plan to take to a CPA to make sure its correct.
Alex

Fredericton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
1. HRB is not the only place you find ill-tempered people and poor or lacking manners. Just read in this forum. Pissy people rule, apparently. I've seen it in restaurants, grocery stores, hotel lobbies, doctor's offices...you name it. To acknowledge that a problem exists doesn't mean A) You hold exclusive title to its occurrence...or B) It's the beginning, middle, and end of your experience working at your job. I'm so happy that you live and work in a happy place where all of the people you deal with kiss all 4 of your cheeks at the start & close of each day. To hear that it's not that way in the rest of the world must be scary.
2. You apparently lack reading comprehension skills. My words were "If you have any QUALMS about dealing with an HRB office on a 2nd-look issue...". Just as there are people who don't want to deal with the new kid in the store when it comes to getting their pants tailored, there are people who are afraid that *their* taxes are so special that only highly certified people, ordained by the head of the IRS itself, can address them. For those people, they can go the extra mile and seek higher assurances.
AND, do you REALLY think all CPA's are created equal when it comes to taxes? Thinking Block is doing shots with the devil but that a celestial choir resides over your CPA's shoulder and sings on a regular basis as they do their work only means you have a blind eye to their problems...such as hiring people with a modicum of the skills that even the worst-trained Block employee has to work on your precious taxes when you're not around. At the very least, HRB "newbs" have undergone an August-November tax training program. Many interns in a CPA office have..well...they've perhaps done their own taxes on Turbo Tax once or twice.
3. CPA offices make their fair share of mistakes, just as does HRB. Nobody is perfect. That you see it as just a one-way street, well I guess that's one of your unique charms in life.
You sir are a quack! And your "reading comprehension" can be no better then the very people your trying to insult if your not getting the point. You claim to realize there are under trained people working at the block just as there are under trained employees working at your local grocery store. If you acknowledge this fact but do nothing to fix it you are no different then the morons screwing up the peoples taxes; Even if you did graduate from any type of post secondary institution (Highly Debatable)and are capable of correctly filling out a tax return, your still a d-bag for not training or retraining the employees unable to uphold the standards depicted by the H&R Block. Now stop wasting your time on this blog and go fix all those mistakes lmfao :). People just hate taxes and you made yourself any easy target.
Agent Timothy McGee

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Alex wrote:
<quoted text>
You sir are a quack! And your "reading comprehension" can be no better then the very people your trying to insult if your not getting the point. You claim to realize there are under trained people working at the block just as there are under trained employees working at your local grocery store. If you acknowledge this fact but do nothing to fix it you are no different then the morons screwing up the peoples taxes; Even if you did graduate from any type of post secondary institution (Highly Debatable)and are capable of correctly filling out a tax return, your still a d-bag for not training or retraining the employees unable to uphold the standards depicted by the H&R Block. Now stop wasting your time on this blog and go fix all those mistakes lmfao :). People just hate taxes and you made yourself any easy target.
Your opinion has been duly noted and given the consideration it deserves.
Annie

Burleigh, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2012

Judged:

I wish I had read these reviews BEFORE I went to HR block yesterday in Brisbane. What a waste of time- I could tell the woman didn't know what she was doing- and then when it didn't come out well she asked if she could see last years return to compare what she had done !!!!!! So they got me back 90% less than last year and then $139 for the privilege. I didnt go to my regular accountant because she is sick.

I will never use them again. Actually now think if they dont know what they are doing I better have a go myself next year. I think I can do the same as they are. Since she certainly did not seem to know what she was doing. I did not realize that I would NOT be seeing an accountant when I went to H&R Block Tax Accountants. Oh well I broke my own rule- investigate before.!
Manuel

Chula Vista, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

timmy mcgee wrote:
<quoted text>
Directly from one of the monkey boys! You blockheads don't know how much you don't know about taxes. It is fruitless to argue with you people....Jackson Hewitt d-bags are geniuses compared to you guys.
there is no need to belittle anyone im a realist to. If you dont do research and dont speak up for yourself you will never aquire what you want or need. calling everyone monkeys and d-bags but yet you require their services what does that make you?
(Excuse my grammar but I had to type like so due to reader understanding :D)
American idol

Chula Vista, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

I just wanted to read reviews on h&r and I did find some advice but I wanted to let everyone know this was very funny entertainment and mr. Mc gee you sir have balls !

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of150
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent H and R Block Discussions

Search the H and R Block Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
H&R Block to divest bank; BofI Federal Bank to ... Apr 14 ray 1
Declaration Control Number (Apr '13) Apr 14 Sigmo 6
H&R Block Emerald card (Jan '08) Apr 13 McDino 261
HR block sucks (Apr '11) Apr 10 Captain Tax 47
Do NOT go to H & R Block (Mar '06) Apr 5 Stop Whining 655
Dependency Apr 3 Don Webb 1
HR Block Bank Direct Deposit and Emerald Pre pa... (Dec '06) Apr 3 KIM 782
•••
•••