Obama's pork finder-in-chief faces da...

Obama's pork finder-in-chief faces daunting task

There are 4 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 7, 2009, titled Obama's pork finder-in-chief faces daunting task. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Appointed by President-elect Barack Obama to the new position of "chief performance officer," Nancy Killefer faces a struggle as old as government itself: Vanquishing the forces of pork politics while trying to ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

roger duerr

Seal Beach, CA

#1 Jan 7, 2009
The "pork finder-in-chief" has to go beyond the pork and get into the potatoes as well. The "potatoes" being the political thugs engineering them in the first place. A public scoreboard with the findings should be published monthly. It will make good fodder when the elections roll around. New blood, famliar with the public pork board, will be less likely to engineer new pork projects.
Mark Winshel

El Cerrito, CA

#2 Jan 7, 2009
From reading this article a person could get the misimpression that there is not a huge amount of waste in federal government spending. In other words by arguing that earmarks are supposedly less than one percent of the total federal budget, some people might think that less than one percent of the federal budget is being wasted.

However most of the waste is not the money that is spent on pork barrel projects but instead money that is spent on essential projects, but is being spent extremely inefficiently. In other words and to make an extremely simple, and in fact even oversimplied, analogy, let's say that a family of only two people spent 100K per year total, and with 1K of that on balloons for birthday parties and the remaining 99K on food, but since it had an income of only 90K and therefore was going into the credit cards for 10K every year, so therefore insisted it needed still more money so as to get by.

While the 1K for balloons for birthday parties would sound like idiocy, and especially for a family that was going deeper and deeper into debt every single year, however that family's main financial problem would be that it was being extremely inefficient by spending 99K, in other words approx ten times as much as necessary, on an essential.

For instance when I worked for government, I saw tons of essential jobs being done extremely inefficiently. I saw people who were assigned to essential jobs regularky sleeping on the job, so therefore those essential jobs and projects had oversized crews assigned to them.

I saw ordinary light bulbs being purchased for $2.50 each when I myself as an ordinary homeowner who does not even buy in large enough amounts so as to get a quantity discount could buy them for about twenty six cents each.

I saw government paying seventy five cents each for ordinary, BUT ONLY TENTH RATE, flashlight batteries that would last at most one quarter as long as the flashlight batteries I would buy myself for only twenty five cents each.

I saw deputies from the Sheriff's Office who were assigned to providing security at that public hospital, and who were getting paid over 100K per year, who refused to walk in certain areas alone, and who would in fact only enter those areas in groups of at least three, and even though I myself used to all the time walk alone into those areas, as even a female janitor who was over sixty years old would regularly walk into alone, and as even at least two of the security guards, and who were over seventy years old and who were getting paid only seven dollars an hour, would regularly walk into alone.

So most of govt waste is not due to porkbarrel projects but instead due to spending in idiotic ways on essentials.
Righty Lefty

United States

#3 Jan 7, 2009
Daunting task? Just take a dead cat and toss it on any bill congress sends up. You can't miss hitting the pork.
citag

Eddyville, IL

#4 Jan 23, 2009
im the last post

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hercules Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Post a Comment (Feb '10) Jun '13 sabun 80
News Firefighters battle blaze at Hercules site in S... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Bowserfan235 1
More from around the web