HP to cut 24,600 jobs, take $1.7B cha...

HP to cut 24,600 jobs, take $1.7B charge in EDS integration

There are 16 comments on the www.bizjournals.com story from Sep 15, 2008, titled HP to cut 24,600 jobs, take $1.7B charge in EDS integration . In it, www.bizjournals.com reports that:

Hewlett-Packard Co. on Monday announced plans to cut about 7.5 percent of its work force -- or about 24,600 employees -- as part of its integration of Electronic Data Systems Corp.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.bizjournals.com.

Crazy Ox3thong

United States

#1 Sep 15, 2008
:-)))))))))
Romparoom

Altoona, PA

#2 Sep 15, 2008
Their sh itty computer making finally caught up with them!!!

LOOK OUT, DELL!!!!

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#3 Sep 15, 2008
LOL!!!!

Use once and throw away. Congradualtions HP. You have cow towed to your stock holders over the moral responsibility to those who entrust in you thier financial family and livlihood.

Oh dont forget to make ready those Golden Parachutes. America is waking up to the new slave trade on wall street, and as in Normandy those parachutes may find those with them landing in enemy territory ......and greeted by bayonets.
nicks

Glenview Nas, IL

#4 Sep 15, 2008
that bad! who going buy anything
when they can`t pay there morgage!!
and all flood victims the homeless The
twisted election, I think that we need
goverment to bring work
to americans and people should
not hire elegals too save a buck!!
London Guy

London, KY

#5 Sep 16, 2008
DELL has already done this. The closed OKC and OR sites when I was at DELL in Nashville. The suck too!

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#6 Sep 16, 2008
The USA is 10,000 billion dollars in debt... what we have seen to date, 9/16/08, is the tip of the ice berg.

Many more will tank... Ford? GM?
KittyCob

Hayward, CA

#7 Sep 16, 2008
HP's aren't that bad. Everyone told me to buy a Dell. So I bought one and it was a piece of crap. So I buy an Acer and though it runs pretty great on XP, it runs like sh*t on Vista. It's bogged down with crap. I still have a 9 year old HP that works great that my kids use. I have an HP notebook thats 6 years old that works but was sitting in a closet. HP isn't bad. Dells used to be one of the best computers and now they suck. Dells name should be up there and not HP. I think HP will be my next computer.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#8 Sep 16, 2008
KittyCob wrote:
HP's aren't that bad. Everyone told me to buy a Dell. So I bought one and it was a piece of crap. So I buy an Acer and though it runs pretty great on XP, it runs like sh*t on Vista. It's bogged down with crap. I still have a 9 year old HP that works great that my kids use. I have an HP notebook thats 6 years old that works but was sitting in a closet. HP isn't bad. Dells used to be one of the best computers and now they suck. Dells name should be up there and not HP. I think HP will be my next computer.
If you want a good computer from HP, buy a workstation, not a consumer model. They come with a 3 year on site warranty. I've bought 4 of them, gave one to my daughter and in 4 years the only problem was wearing out a mouse. Just bought a new one, as an addition, not replacement. It is built to handle 4 SATA hard drives, dual light scribe DL DVD burners and has a dual DVI video card.

“IRISH STUNNER”

Since: Sep 08

Loughrea

#9 Sep 16, 2008
Tough strategy to follow this one. So they pay over billions to purchase a company. In spending that money, they cant afford a shit load of staff.

If it balances out, all is good, like some companies just make up departments that are really not needed and some departments are overstaffed.
KittyCob

Hayward, CA

#10 Sep 16, 2008
I'll keep that in mind. I just bought this acer last year and I'm pretty happy with it but in a few years I'll think of paying a little more and getting a work station instead of a consumer line product.
KittyCob wrote:
HP's aren't that bad. Everyone told me to buy a Dell. So I bought one and it was a piece of crap. So I buy an Acer and though it runs pretty great on XP, it runs like sh*t on Vista. It's bogged down with crap. I still have a 9 year old HP that works great that my kids use. I have an HP notebook thats 6 years old that works but was sitting in a closet. HP isn't bad. Dells used to be one of the best computers and now they suck. Dells name should be up there and not HP. I think HP will be my next computer.

“Tell the Truth”

Since: Nov 07

Orlando, Florida

#11 Sep 16, 2008
Nearly 25,000 jobs from HP. 25,000 from Lehman. GMAC is cutting 5,000. Bear Stearns lost 7,000 people. WAMU laid of 3,000. Whirlpool getting rid of 700. Lucent Technologies has canned 86,000 people in the last year and a half. Corning got rid of 4,000 people.

Those are just a few. The question is NOT will all these people find jobs, but will they find comparable jobs that allow them to continue paying a mortgage and taking care of a family?

One of the biggest problems facing Americans today is not UNemployment, but UNDERemployment. That means going from a job making 40,50,60,70k a year or more to making 20,25,or 30k a year. When someone loses a decent paying job they are often faced with not being able to replace that job with something similar and they have to take whatever is available, going from project coordinator at a major corporation to checking at groceries at the local market.

That's a huge financial hit and more and more Americans are facing that reality every day.

“Where the beer flows like wine”

Since: Jun 08

Bizarro World

#12 Sep 16, 2008
Indeed Donna. The underemplyment you speak of is largely due to outsourcing our jobs to foreign countries and the hiring of illegal immigrants on our own soil. All of this to simply benefit the bank roll of a few fat cats. These bastards have sold our own country out from underneath us and laughed all the way to the bank.
Job losses not new

Ashburn, VA

#15 Sep 16, 2008
Donna Atlanta GA wrote:
Nearly 25,000 jobs from HP. 25,000 from Lehman. GMAC is cutting 5,000. Bear Stearns lost 7,000 people. WAMU laid of 3,000. Whirlpool getting rid of 700. Lucent Technologies has canned 86,000 people in the last year and a half. Corning got rid of 4,000 people.
Those are just a few. The question is NOT will all these people find jobs, but will they find comparable jobs that allow them to continue paying a mortgage and taking care of a family?
One of the biggest problems facing Americans today is not UNemployment, but UNDERemployment. That means going from a job making 40,50,60,70k a year or more to making 20,25,or 30k a year. When someone loses a decent paying job they are often faced with not being able to replace that job with something similar and they have to take whatever is available, going from project coordinator at a major corporation to checking at groceries at the local market.
That's a huge financial hit and more and more Americans are facing that reality every day.
Recent job cuts are insignificant compared to the tens of millions of American jobs lost during the last 30 years. Government regulations are responsible for the majority of job cuts and technology is responsible for most of the rest.

American companies cannot afford to comply with environmental laws that penalize companies for pollution that occurred decades before the laws were enacted. It's much cheaper to move operation overseas to countries that are lax on pollution. Many more American companies have not moved overseas but have shut down altogether and put their money into brand new businesses that import from overseas.

Affirmative action laws have frustrated American corporations for 40 years. The expense of reporting racial and gender and handicapped numbers to the Federal government is very costly. The worst cost of affirmative action is the inefficiency of being forced to hire unqualified minorities to fill government requirements and then having to hire qualified people to accomplish the tasks that minorities seem unable and unwilling to do. Moving overseas eliminates Affirmative action costs.

Many companies are questioning the high costs of OSHA requirements when they can prove that their workplaces are safe. The expense comes from complying with regulations that actually don't affect safety one bit. If a company has a bottle of bleach used to claen toilets they must report the bleach on numerous forms, label the bleach as a hazardous substance, post warning sign around the factory and the office, and pay high fines if found to be in noncompliance. Most office buildings are in violation of this very item and subject to Federal fines and listing as a violator.

Every government regulation should be required to study the job losses created by environmental, safety, and preferential hiring and promotion laws. Too many politicians have gotten away with American job losses without being held accountable.
Small business

Ashburn, VA

#16 Sep 16, 2008
Job losses not new wrote:
<quoted text>Recent job cuts are insignificant compared to the tens of millions of American jobs lost during the last 30 years. Government regulations are responsible for the majority of job cuts and technology is responsible for most of the rest.
American companies cannot afford to comply with environmental laws that penalize companies for pollution that occurred decades before the laws were enacted. It's much cheaper to move operation overseas to countries that are lax on pollution. Many more American companies have not moved overseas but have shut down altogether and put their money into brand new businesses that import from overseas.
Affirmative action laws have frustrated American corporations for 40 years. The expense of reporting racial and gender and handicapped numbers to the Federal government is very costly. The worst cost of affirmative action is the inefficiency of being forced to hire unqualified minorities to fill government requirements and then having to hire qualified people to accomplish the tasks that minorities seem unable and unwilling to do. Moving overseas eliminates Affirmative action costs.
Many companies are questioning the high costs of OSHA requirements when they can prove that their workplaces are safe. The expense comes from complying with regulations that actually don't affect safety one bit. If a company has a bottle of bleach used to claen toilets they must report the bleach on numerous forms, label the bleach as a hazardous substance, post warning sign around the factory and the office, and pay high fines if found to be in noncompliance. Most office buildings are in violation of this very item and subject to Federal fines and listing as a violator.
Every government regulation should be required to study the job losses created by environmental, safety, and preferential hiring and promotion laws. Too many politicians have gotten away with American job losses without being held accountable.
The only bright side is the creation of new small businesses that are exempt from affirmative action if they have less than 15 employees. Small business creation has counterbalanced job losses in every state. Small businesses tend to be more efficient than larger corporations and aren't stifled by layers of management personnel.
kit in plano

Dallas, TX

#17 Sep 21, 2008
i posted early on this the e mail to their board, send it to your friends. We need to utilize these blogs to tell these companiesour feeling about sending our jobs away. We need to vote for common sende people and quit letting both of these political parties act like it is all about them and not us

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#18 Sep 24, 2008
kit in plano wrote:
i posted early on this the e mail to their board, send it to your friends. We need to utilize these blogs to tell these companiesour feeling about sending our jobs away. We need to vote for common sende people and quit letting both of these political parties act like it is all about them and not us
You sent Kay Hutchinson and John Cornyn to the Senate.

You sent Sam Johnson to Congress.

Look in your own backyard for the roots of America's problems.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Helmerich & Payne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Joseph Call (Apr '09) Dec '12 Rhonda Robbins 11
News Venezuela to nationalize Helmerich and Payne ri... (Jul '10) Jul '10 JIM 1
News Venezuela Government To Take Over Oklahoma-Owne... (Jun '10) Jul '10 DustyOutlaw 116
News State Dept Presses Venezuela To Pay For Rigs Ow... (Jun '10) Jun '10 I_need_a_beer 5
News Helmerich & Payne Says Venezuela Debts May Not ... (May '09) May '09 I_need_a_beer 11
News Venezuela to takeover oil services companies (May '09) May '09 Gianni 3
News Helmerich idles another Venezuela rig in dispute (Mar '09) Mar '09 I_need_a_beer 3
More from around the web