Harley Davidson to shut their wheel m...

Harley Davidson to shut their wheel manufacturing unit in Adelaide, 212 jobless

There are 6 comments on the India Auto News story from Dec 11, 2011, titled Harley Davidson to shut their wheel manufacturing unit in Adelaide, 212 jobless. In it, India Auto News reports that:

Legendary American motorcycle manufacturer, Harley Davidson has decided to shut down their wheel manufacturing unit in Adelaide, Australia and that too just three weeks before Christmas.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at India Auto News.

Tom

Adelaide, Australia

#1 Dec 11, 2011
Looks like all Harleys wheels will be coming out of china from now on,seen some of the chinese wheels and they are no where near the quality of the Aussie made wheels,and now a chinese foundry has the tooling for the wheels you can guarentee the market will be flooded with copies. what a christmas present for the workers at New Castalloy, by the way they have made a profit of around 10million in the past two years, but looks like not enough for Harley.What it boils down to is corprate greed these people now have no job all they are is a number to Harley

Since: Oct 11

Timmins, Canada

#2 Dec 11, 2011
I wonder what the Chinese offered Harley to move their operation to China? If I was an aussie buying a bike I'd buy anything but Harley.

Since: Apr 07

TERRA AUSTRALIS

#3 Dec 11, 2011
Typical American corporate mindset. But it's 'okay', they aren't American jobs.

Just like GM and Ford usa want us to drop our local makes, to replace with their own. I would buy anything but, just out of principle. Call it spite if you like. These people have no soul or honor.

Maybe if they made the entire bike here in Australia, they wouldn't have so many oil and fuel leaks. Give me German or Japanese makes please, because American made is only one step up from chinese these days anyway.

“Rumoured asylum escapee”

Since: Jan 10

Queensland, Australia

#4 Dec 11, 2011
To those whinging about the greedy Harley company making $10m profit; $10 million is a pathetic profit considering the investment, risk, plus number of interests. They would have been better off dumping the money in a term deposit.

Btw : Harley has always been a shoddy piece of garbage dressed up in a badge. It was either Honda or BMW owners who had the saying; 'Own a Harley and know every piece of your bike better than the back of your hand. Own a Honda (or BMW) and you don't have to.'
Mechanic

Broadmeadows, Australia

#5 Dec 11, 2011
Harley; an over-rated heavy piece of shit that doesn't corner,only half good in a straight line,,not that most of their riders could walk the straight line anyway.
Damon

Mile End, Australia

#6 Dec 11, 2011
Had a Z1a 900 for a while. More reliable than mates 30 years newer Harley.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harley Davidson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Biker angered at huge repair bill after Harley ... (Sep '09) Aug 5 Brahma 62
News Motorcycle Review The 2008 Triumph Bonneville B... (Aug '08) Aug 1 Gary Lindenberg 18
Color wiring diagram for 1973 XLCH Sportster (Aug '07) Jun '16 todd 10
News Harley-Davidson Is Taking Steps To Reverse Its ... (Dec '15) Dec '15 glasspilot 4
News Cheney touts economy, Patriot Act during Missou... (Jan '06) Nov '15 Proud Lesbian 5
News Should You Buy a New Harley Davidson (Nov '07) Nov '15 glasspilot 558
News Rare skull disease afflicts child (May '08) Nov '15 District 1 27
More from around the web