Harley-Davidson recalls about 7,000 Softails for engine stalling issue

Feb 2, 2011 Read more: The York Daily Record 43
Harley-Davidson is recalling certain model-year 2011 Softails because of an engine stalling issue. Read more
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Al X Trebek

York, PA

#1 Feb 2, 2011
In related news, the midlife crises of 7,000 aging, graying, balding yuppies have now been put on hold.
Bandanna Skull Cap

York, PA

#2 Feb 2, 2011
Don't give a d--n!
Love my Harley!
You can live or you can ride a Harley!
Wooooooooooooooo-Hoooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo!
NoHeDint

Shrewsbury, PA

#3 Feb 2, 2011
Another quality piece of crap, built by Harley!
Common Sense Soldier

York, PA

#4 Feb 2, 2011
Sounds like their engines are DEFINITELY union made....they don't work half the time!
Former Employee

York, PA

#5 Feb 2, 2011
Yea that is what happens with no one cares casual workers! The Permanent workers warned of a problem but HD was more concerned with getting rid of the people who cared about their jobs for scabs!
john doe 000069

York, PA

#6 Feb 2, 2011
There's nothing wrong with the motorcycles it's the damn ethanol in the gas. Harleys run rich by design. Ethanol leans the air fuel mixture out to much. If the gas station puts to much ethanol in the fuel it causes the engine to run to lean. If this happen too much it will burn pistons or ruin them.
One-Eyed Dick

Shrewsbury, PA

#7 Feb 2, 2011
...so I'm on my softail, cruising southbound on I83 doin' about 80 downhill in front of a semi and all of a sudden....
The Truth

York, PA

#8 Feb 2, 2011
The BCM parts in question are not even made by Harley. They are made by the multi-national giant Delphi Automotive Systems who make pretty much every electronic part on a Harley and most cars and trucks as well. So I must insist you bash Delphi for their poor workmanship as well as Harley's Q&A team which didn't spot the defective units until 7000 were out the door and the first bike's came in to dealers for work.
For the truth try this well written article:
http://www.motorcycle.com/news/recall-for-201...
Capitalism is Over-Rated

York, PA

#9 Feb 2, 2011
john doe 000069 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with the motorcycles it's the damn ethanol in the gas. Harleys run rich by design. Ethanol leans the air fuel mixture out to much. If the gas station puts to much ethanol in the fuel it causes the engine to run to lean. If this happen too much it will burn pistons or ruin them.
This is the truth. Same thing happens in high-end cars - BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc. Some places are going well above the state ethanol % limit - which allows the point of sale to make more money per gallon. Tricky!
gimmeabreak

Rockville, MD

#10 Feb 3, 2011
no big shock here....
lack of brains shows in their product screw-ups....harley workers can't even drive correctly...
see it every morning on rt 30...passing people on left 1 or 2 lights before entrance only to cut them off an jump over 2 lanes to enter harley...duuuuhhhh
No Harley for Me

York, PA

#11 Feb 3, 2011
Ok so that explains the problem on those 7000 bikes, what's the problem with the rest of their motorcycles that won't run? They won't run when it's cold, they won't run when it's hot, won't start, won't idle. All the harley owners I know have some kind of problem with their bike. Couldn't give me one of the dang things.
Grisly Adams County

Shrewsbury, PA

#12 Feb 3, 2011
No Harley for Me wrote:
Ok so that explains the problem on those 7000 bikes, what's the problem with the rest of their motorcycles that won't run? They won't run when it's cold, they won't run when it's hot, won't start, won't idle. All the harley owners I know have some kind of problem with their bike. Couldn't give me one of the dang things.
Pretty sure that wasn't gonna happen anyway, Dickweed.
etters resident

Lewisberry, PA

#13 Feb 3, 2011
Gee, thats around the same time Harley laid off the people that were used to working on the line.They replace those people with employees who never assembled a motorcycle and brought in a lot of casuals to work the line. The June bunch of people laid off, were a group of hard working individuals (with the exception of a lazy/worthless few) who worked the line and assembled motorcycles for years, and knew what they were doing.

Everyday I see another headline with Harley Davidson hogging(no pun intended) the news. They are on a downward spiral, and although its slow and may take years, Harley is going to fail in York County. They don't care about the employees and that reflects on their work. I have to smile when every time I see another thing about HD's being recalled, losing money, etc... Karmas a bitch HD, deal with it!!!
glen

York, PA

#14 Feb 3, 2011
EXACTLY!!!!!! When you put saving $$ over quality and employees who care,thats what ya get. Stupid Harley
Former Employee wrote:
Yea that is what happens with no one cares casual workers! The Permanent workers warned of a problem but HD was more concerned with getting rid of the people who cared about their jobs for scabs!
glen

York, PA

#15 Feb 3, 2011
lol love this..Karmas a bitch HD, deal with it!... their gonna go down and we will all just laugh !! lol

etters resident wrote:
Gee, thats around the same time Harley laid off the people that were used to working on the line.They replace those people with employees who never assembled a motorcycle and brought in a lot of casuals to work the line. The June bunch of people laid off, were a group of hard working individuals (with the exception of a lazy/worthless few) who worked the line and assembled motorcycles for years, and knew what they were doing.
Everyday I see another headline with Harley Davidson hogging(no pun intended) the news. They are on a downward spiral, and although its slow and may take years, Harley is going to fail in York County. They don't care about the employees and that reflects on their work. I have to smile when every time I see another thing about HD's being recalled, losing money, etc... Karmas a bitch HD, deal with it!!!
Harry P Ness

Mechanicsburg, PA

#16 Feb 3, 2011
Harley's barely can idle in the first place. Shaking, vibrating, and sounding like a wet fart everytime they come up to a red light. The owners have to keep reving them up so they don't stall out. They say the sound is cool but it just sounds like an old lawn tractor with a bad miss and a blown out muffler.
Frank

Dover, PA

#17 Feb 3, 2011
Don't waste your money, buy a Honda!!
System Check

York, PA

#18 Feb 3, 2011
You hire temps, this what you get.
laughable

York, PA

#19 Feb 3, 2011
glen wrote:
EXACTLY!!!!!! When you put saving $$ over quality and employees who care,thats what ya get. Stupid Harley
<quoted text>
yeah they care about their high hourly rate and their benefit packages...
harleywife

Red Lion, PA

#20 Feb 3, 2011
glen wrote:
lol love this..Karmas a bitch HD, deal with it!... their gonna go down and we will all just laugh !! lol
<quoted text>
Go right ahead and laugh. Karma IS a bitch - and it will bite you just as quick as it bites anyone else. Might want to remember that. Jealousy is SO unattractive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harley Davidson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Motorcycle Rental Page (Jun '07) Jan '15 Zach 43
News Biker angered at huge repair bill after Harley ... (Sep '09) Jan '15 WildBill1962 41
News Ordinances aim to quiet ear-piercing motorcycle... (Aug '07) Jan '15 papamike69 177
News Report: Harley-Davidson Livewire electric bike ... Dec '14 benswing 1
News A few spare parts put old Harley on parade Dec '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News Harley rules out Kansas City for plant relocation (Sep '09) Nov '14 Matt Dalek 15
News Cheney touts economy, Patriot Act during Missou... (Jan '06) Nov '14 Dave 4
More from around the web