A Harley worker loves his job, and mi...

A Harley worker loves his job, and might be watching it end

There are 171 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Dec 5, 2009, titled A Harley worker loves his job, and might be watching it end. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Peter French kisses his 8-year-old son Ethan as they read a book before dinner Friday at the family s home in Red Lion.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Darwin

Englewood, CO

#1 Dec 5, 2009
Nice story and best wishes to Mr. French, however, the editor needs to be chose his words more carefully: "Peter French kisses his 8-year-old son Ethan " just doesn't sound right.

Again, best wishes to Mr. French and his family!
Other Side of the Coin

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Dec 5, 2009
Really touching story. I also have friends in the same predicament. They had/have 20 or 25 or 30 years with the same company, and now the company wants to get rid of them. Their company is the UNITED STATES MILITARY. These guys/gals have Campaign Ribbons, Bronze Stars, Silver Stars, Purple Hearts; been away for a year at a time (several times), shot at and missed, shot at and hit. Missed every single holiday in the year, even family birthdays. As more troops are being sent to Afghanistan, the military is too top heavy...need young fodder fire...see you guys. Possibly dismissed Harley workers could apply for PTSD funding. Tough world out there. Handle it, handle it, handle it. Harley workers have truly been blessed!
steve

York, PA

#3 Dec 6, 2009
I fell sorry for him and family how do you think people are getting by now that are laid off.I worked there for 3yrs.I have to be there for my family too. It's not easy.
yorkbred

Kalamazoo, MI

#5 Dec 6, 2009
I feel sorry he and othes may and will lose thier jobs, but he said about those (private schools) well mr. I think you will have to find some other way to educate your children. like public school(you live in red lion).
A Yorker

Harrisburg, PA

#6 Dec 6, 2009
It is horrible losing your job and then your quality of life. I got laid off and lost mine. This family is no different than any others. I guess with the exception that the York Sunday New didn't do a story them.
Easyrider

Cockeysville, MD

#7 Dec 6, 2009
Look, what Americans need to do is realize that the American economic system and the private companies in America have a plan for the american middle-class...lay them off. Read the newspapers, follow the Asian markets...in that you will learn that WE are not priority one. Severence and unemployment will only last for so long. First thing to go is the car, the truck, private school tuition, the boat, and then...the house. I bet the wife doesn't work...Hey start saving NOW...Cut back...because at the end of the day, it's your pride that will have to be put to the side. Tighten Up!
I AGREE

York, PA

#8 Dec 6, 2009
yorkbred wrote:
I feel sorry he and othes may and will lose thier jobs, but he said about those (private schools) well mr. I think you will have to find some other way to educate your children. like public school(you live in red lion).
You are reponsible for educating your children in the Catholic Faith along with the church. Many have done it without Private School education, I beleive the concept is called Sunday School. Stop complaining, Red Lion is a good school district.

Private school is a luxury not a nessestity.
Jim

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Dec 6, 2009
They voted themselves out of a job I don't feel sorry for them Harley employees always lived above their means buying everything they saw, because they were overpaid to begin with. They should have voted it down and stuck together.
hey now

Felton, PA

#11 Dec 6, 2009
Other Side of the Coin wrote:
Really touching story. I also have friends in the same predicament. They had/have 20 or 25 or 30 years with the same company, and now the company wants to get rid of them. Their company is the UNITED STATES MILITARY. These guys/gals have Campaign Ribbons, Bronze Stars, Silver Stars, Purple Hearts; been away for a year at a time (several times), shot at and missed, shot at and hit. Missed every single holiday in the year, even family birthdays. As more troops are being sent to Afghanistan, the military is too top heavy...need young fodder fire...see you guys. Possibly dismissed Harley workers could apply for PTSD funding. Tough world out there. Handle it, handle it, handle it. Harley workers have truly been blessed!
Just like the Harley employees it is your friends choice to serve. Be it a job or serving our country most times these jobs can't equate as in dangerous situations and selflessness. But when it comes down to it many times a job is a passion and most times it is to serve others be their coountry or their families. So don't be cruel in your observations. People are people and their walk in life is not always as we see it untill we have walked in their shoes.
What do you gain

Felton, PA

#12 Dec 6, 2009
Jim wrote:
They voted themselves out of a job I don't feel sorry for them Harley employees always lived above their means buying everything they saw, because they were overpaid to begin with. They should have voted it down and stuck together.
You always bring this up when you want to be point negative concerning the Harley employee. What is it that you lived beyone your means, huh. Many in this country have been and continue to be laidoff and many of those people have been living on poverty level and now they have hit rock bottom. Do you condemen them and ridicule them for now having to live well below their means with many being homeless who once had a modest home or in a lowincome apartment they at that time could afford. How unjust and just plain simple minded your thinking to enjoy another's misfortune because they wanted nice th9ing for their family on their income. As you see Harley employees are no different then others just because they make a decent wage. Common sense would tell you people live accordingly to their income. Stop with the hate and personality destruction and look within yourself at your own life style before you critize others. Hateful you are. I am sorry for you. And I am not a Harley Employee.
frenchy

York, PA

#13 Dec 6, 2009
yorkbred wrote:
I feel sorry he and othes may and will lose thier jobs, but he said about those (private schools) well mr. I think you will have to find some other way to educate your children. like public school(you live in red lion).
I will do what I have to do to keep my children from learning to spell like you!!! Catholic school will be the last thing I cut.
frenchy

York, PA

#14 Dec 6, 2009
Easyrider wrote:
Look, what Americans need to do is realize that the American economic system and the private companies in America have a plan for the american middle-class...lay them off. Read the newspapers, follow the Asian markets...in that you will learn that WE are not priority one. Severence and unemployment will only last for so long. First thing to go is the car, the truck, private school tuition, the boat, and then...the house. I bet the wife doesn't work...Hey start saving NOW...Cut back...because at the end of the day, it's your pride that will have to be put to the side. Tighten Up!
First off my cars are paid for. the vehicles we drive are ten years or older. I don't own boats and things that I can't afford. I have never been afraid to do what i've had to do to supply needs for my family. As for my wife she has an RN degree,and a better paying job than I. This article is not meant for everyone to feel sorry for me, I don't want that. I was a to be a story representing the harley employees that will lose jobs with the restucturing. I am not the only one,I tried to let people know how that feels for those of us that love our jobs. If you don't like it don't read it, This is American you are free to turn the page,change the channel,turn off the radio!
frenchy

York, PA

#15 Dec 6, 2009
I AGREE wrote:
<quoted text>
You are reponsible for educating your children in the Catholic Faith along with the church. Many have done it without Private School education, I beleive the concept is called Sunday School. Stop complaining, Red Lion is a good school district.
Private school is a luxury not a nessestity.
You send your children to Red Lion, thats your choice. My choice is private school. Funny how this article turned into a private/public school debate.
frenchy

York, PA

#16 Dec 6, 2009
Jim wrote:
They voted themselves out of a job I don't feel sorry for them Harley employees always lived above their means buying everything they saw, because they were overpaid to begin with. They should have voted it down and stuck together.
Better education for my children, above my means?? Get a grip, did you get info about harley employees buying everything they see from one of you friends or family members that work there? Your stupid!!!
frenchy

York, PA

#17 Dec 6, 2009
What do you gain wrote:
<quoted text>You always bring this up when you want to be point negative concerning the Harley employee. What is it that you lived beyone your means, huh. Many in this country have been and continue to be laidoff and many of those people have been living on poverty level and now they have hit rock bottom. Do you condemen them and ridicule them for now having to live well below their means with many being homeless who once had a modest home or in a lowincome apartment they at that time could afford. How unjust and just plain simple minded your thinking to enjoy another's misfortune because they wanted nice th9ing for their family on their income. As you see Harley employees are no different then others just because they make a decent wage. Common sense would tell you people live accordingly to their income. Stop with the hate and personality destruction and look within yourself at your own life style before you critize others. Hateful you are. I am sorry for you. And I am not a Harley Employee.
AMEN!!!!!
Willie Don

Womelsdorf, PA

#18 Dec 6, 2009
I AGREE wrote:
<quoted text>
You are reponsible for educating your children in the Catholic Faith along with the church. Many have done it without Private School education, I beleive the concept is called Sunday School. Stop complaining, Red Lion is a good school district.
Private school is a luxury not a nessestity.
Going to Sunday School and being educated in a Catholic School grades 1-12 are hardly the same thing.
Working in Health Care

Baltimore, MD

#19 Dec 6, 2009
frenchy wrote:
<quoted text>
You send your children to Red Lion, thats your choice. My choice is private school. Funny how this article turned into a private/public school debate.
York County has affordable Catholic schools. If you can afford it, please continue to send your children to Catholic schools. Catholic education is the best investment that you will make. Have you thought about going into health care, maybe a radiation tech? You could use your hands as well as your critical thinking skills.
THINK REACT EXPERIENCE

Dearborn, MI

#21 Dec 6, 2009
Well this is getting into a battle of who is better off then and now......We all have to downsize and do what we can afford....Its called life and we in America will come out better for it in time...In my thinking keeping the family together and everyone stop to be thankful for what you have now This is a no brainer Enjoy the days ahead
Easyrider

Cockeysville, MD

#22 Dec 6, 2009
LMAO. But you know what, this is very serious. Someone could get...hurt...
Jesus Loves Me

Philadelphia, PA

#23 Dec 6, 2009
Other Side of the Coin wrote:
Really touching story. I also have friends in the same predicament. They had/have 20 or 25 or 30 years with the same company, and now the company wants to get rid of them. Their company is the UNITED STATES MILITARY. These guys/gals have Campaign Ribbons, Bronze Stars, Silver Stars, Purple Hearts; been away for a year at a time (several times), shot at and missed, shot at and hit. Missed every single holiday in the year, even family birthdays. As more troops are being sent to Afghanistan, the military is too top heavy...need young fodder fire...see you guys. Possibly dismissed Harley workers could apply for PTSD funding. Tough world out there. Handle it, handle it, handle it. Harley workers have truly been blessed!
F __ Kin' TOPIX/YDR deleted this post. Am submitting again. What is so derogatory about this post. No more stupid than the critical thinking of others. Another deletion coming up...fine! But they still SUCK! Had to change name: "YDR TOPIX SUCKS". Told me name WAS NOT available. See if above names goes through. "JUST LOVE YDR TOPIX" NOT available either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harley Davidson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Biker angered at huge repair bill after Harley ... (Sep '09) Aug 5 Brahma 62
News Motorcycle Review The 2008 Triumph Bonneville B... (Aug '08) Aug 1 Gary Lindenberg 18
Color wiring diagram for 1973 XLCH Sportster (Aug '07) Jun '16 todd 10
News Harley-Davidson Is Taking Steps To Reverse Its ... (Dec '15) Dec '15 glasspilot 4
News Cheney touts economy, Patriot Act during Missou... (Jan '06) Nov '15 Proud Lesbian 5
News Should You Buy a New Harley Davidson (Nov '07) Nov '15 glasspilot 558
News Rare skull disease afflicts child (May '08) Nov '15 District 1 27
More from around the web