HD MET Team and Customer Service

HD MET Team and Customer Service

Posted in the Home Depot Forum

Since: Jul 12

Wasilla, AK

#1 Jul 17, 2012
Hi, I am a MET associate, and have a growing concern about the attitude my MEM has taken with my customer service. A fellow MEA had complained to my MEM that I was not seen for a while in the department we were working together, and was disappearing frequently. I was off doing what most everyone else in this world refers to as customer service. I was working at a store that is in a central location of town, so it is always packed, and busy, and usually store associates are difficult to pin down, or are with other customers. Same with the DSs and ASMs. I had gladly used the skills and knowledge I had gained about store level to help a customer the best I could from a MET standpoint. I had attempted to pass the customer off to the ASM of flooring, but she was with customers, and almost to a meal violation so she had to go on lunch. I took over, checked On-hands, took down name and phone # of the customer, and ended up assisting in the selling over $500 worth of tile. Next I had two elderly ladies, who I greeted, while doing my regular MET duties, asked how they where, and had replied "Frusterated". I got the impression if I tried to walk away to get another associate to help, they would leave the store, still frusterated, without the item they had intended to buy. I gladly helped and sold over $300 worth of area rugs. All-in-all I was away from my regular MET duties for an hour.

For this however, I had my MEM talk at me for over 20 minutes, very forcefully about how I am supposed to get another associate to help, and when further trying to explain the situation, she had repeated again and again that the vendors are our customers, and our duty is to them, so on so forth. All the while, she had literally had my backed up against a bay of PVC pipes. I felt like a trapped mouse, animal in a cage if you will, and was being railed on. It was about all I could do on top of that to try and respond to her without choking out tears from feeling so beat down.

Now I had spoken to some new associates on MET about this, who had just gotten out of orientation (you know, the foundation for how we conduct ourselves?) and even higher up corperate MET officials preach CUSTOMERS FIRST... Period...(and they where referring to the ones we bump into int he store, not the vendors off in god knows where)

I would appreciate any advice, or course of action that would help, because I am feeling on edge every time my MEM is near or around me, or if heaven forbid, she catches me helping a customer grab an item.

Thanks
TMO

Voorheesville, NY

#2 Jul 20, 2012
You should have got your Area Sup involved & called for an MOD to assist the customers.
Force Closed

Selkirk, NY

#3 Sep 20, 2012
Agreed !
MEAS

Fenton, MI

#4 Sep 26, 2012
metlarper wrote:
Hi, I am a MET associate, and have a growing concern about the attitude my MEM has taken with my customer service. A fellow MEA had complained to my MEM that I was not seen for a while in the department we were working together, and was disappearing frequently. I was off doing what most everyone else in this world refers to as customer service. I was working at a store that is in a central location of town, so it is always packed, and busy, and usually store associates are difficult to pin down, or are with other customers. Same with the DSs and ASMs. I had gladly used the skills and knowledge I had gained about store level to help a customer the best I could from a MET standpoint. I had attempted to pass the customer off to the ASM of flooring, but she was with customers, and almost to a meal violation so she had to go on lunch. I took over, checked On-hands, took down name and phone # of the customer, and ended up assisting in the selling over $500 worth of tile. Next I had two elderly ladies, who I greeted, while doing my regular MET duties, asked how they where, and had replied "Frusterated". I got the impression if I tried to walk away to get another associate to help, they would leave the store, still frusterated, without the item they had intended to buy. I gladly helped and sold over $300 worth of area rugs. All-in-all I was away from my regular MET duties for an hour.
For this however, I had my MEM talk at me for over 20 minutes, very forcefully about how I am supposed to get another associate to help, and when further trying to explain the situation, she had repeated again and again that the vendors are our customers, and our duty is to them, so on so forth. All the while, she had literally had my backed up against a bay of PVC pipes. I felt like a trapped mouse, animal in a cage if you will, and was being railed on. It was about all I could do on top of that to try and respond to her without choking out tears from feeling so beat down.
Now I had spoken to some new associates on MET about this, who had just gotten out of orientation (you know, the foundation for how we conduct ourselves?) and even higher up corperate MET officials preach CUSTOMERS FIRST... Period...(and they where referring to the ones we bump into int he store, not the vendors off in god knows where)
I would appreciate any advice, or course of action that would help, because I am feeling on edge every time my MEM is near or around me, or if heaven forbid, she catches me helping a customer grab an item.
Thanks
. Stop whining you idiot
VirginnyGinny

United States

#5 Sep 27, 2012
Honestly, I can't wait for you people to vacate the store. You come in, take over, act as if everything in the store belongs to you, including my supplies, take over the terminals, interfere with customers, yes, interfere, even though I'm standing five feet away answering a customer question or on the phone for a moment. You treat us as if we don't exist and you come down from on high.

For all your desire to help, I know a million times more about the products and services we offer, I know how to offer services and add-ons, I am aware of local requirements that you could care less about, and lastly, I am the one stuck fixing your and your MET friends misguided attempts at 'customer service'.

Do the world a favor, get in, do your job, and then leave the rest of us, the mere mortals who run the store, alone, and let us deal with 'customer service'- it's what we do.
Optimus Prime

Comox, Canada

#6 Dec 28, 2012
I'm a MET associate, and here is some helpful advice. My MET supervisor has a motto for dealing with customers: "Walk fast and avoid eye contact."
Also, always have something in your hand so you look busy. As long as you look busy, you will deflect most customer attempts to flag you down. This is the lesson my supervisor passed down to me during my orientation.

And if that doesn't work, just page one of those lazy sales associates to assist the customer. It's not like they do any work anyway! HA.
Jimmy K

Mableton, GA

#7 Jan 19, 2013
Pathetic, turn in your orange shirts and get a gig elsewhere if you feel that your duties are to "vendors" first.
John

Austin, TX

#8 Jan 27, 2013
Your job is the customer, your supervisor is wrong, you work for Home Depot it is our job to take care of customers.
Elsie

Fort Worth, TX

#9 Feb 6, 2013
I also get into that issue. No employees to help, as stores schedule 'around' our work days. Unfortunately/fortunately the customers get mad, but also see that I am trying to help and I am also trying to find an associate. I get so embarrassed, but what can I do. I even have stores that that the dept sup tells me no, and then the ASM wont help either.
Elsie

Fort Worth, TX

#10 Feb 6, 2013
how about the fact that we pack down and clean the product? Amazing how much product can come out of the overheads...(MET is continually growing...)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Home Depot Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Homer Badges (Jun '07) Oct 14 Alyssa 52
Wrongful Termination at Home Depot (Jul '12) Oct 14 goingto sue 22
Attendance Sop (Aug '14) Oct 7 Anonymous 23
Have a job interview thursday, what to expect? Oct 4 Blorange 2
salary/hourly pay (Feb '08) Oct 4 Blorange 22
Lean Replenishment Warehouse Positon Oct 3 Gucci300 1
News Home Depot Sucks.org sees increase in visitors (Apr '09) Oct 3 Sharko 75
More from around the web