United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2010

Judged:

And the winner is ....DING DING....yes...most people think that hell hole known as home depot should organize its 320,000 hourly workers so they can start to live a bit better than being able to be fired for nothing and make a living wage, not the $10-11 hour that is the national average. Here is an idea: how about a structured system to transfer between stores. What a nice idea. Collective bargaining is just around the corner brothers and sisters. Our eyes are open. We are here. :-)
Barry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2010

Judged:

Wow I thought it would be infavor of a union but that is HIGH!! OMG. If you corporate monkeys are watching you better lube up...cause it is going to sting!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
OPS Lead

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2010

Judged:

This is great!! I am sure the clean aprons that voted no will be very happy when they meet with our union rep!!!
Allison

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2010

Judged:

Rock on!! Work union, live better!!
Expect us

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2010

Judged:

People get involved!!!! Its your future!!! Meet with your friends in the stores off site. You need many many of them to organize a collective. Don't let them the managers know you are discussing this. Nothing. When asked tell them everything is great. When they go to your store they need to leave thinking everything is great. Keep a log of everything. Write everything down. Get organized and organize!!! Remember this is your fight for your future. The clean aprons are getting rich off YOUR hard work. Get the word out. We are here. Expect us!!!
Been there Heard that

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2010

Judged:

What will you do when the customers don't show up?

Those big box stores fail more than they succeed.

Stop high-fiving each other and start thinking.
Red blooded

Scranton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2010

Judged:

What took so long for Home Depot workers to grow a pair and do this? About time. Welcome to the human race yall.

“Defecting to Mexico”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2010

Judged:

Do you like your jobs? Hire a union and you won't have one. Stop complaining and be thankful you have a job.
Expect us

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2010

Judged:

Net Guru wrote:
Do you like your jobs? Hire a union and you won't have one. Stop complaining and be thankful you have a job.
You must be a Home Depot Manager or SSC. No one that walks the miles in the store and deals with the endless Home Depot lies and deceit will agree with you. Its good to see the clean aprons like you are weighing in though. We have all heard your threats but we are not buying it anymore. We have organized and we are here!

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2010

Judged:

Unions for the lazy & selfish. You want a union because you can't survive or compete with average people. Unions are the first sign that your business will not survive. It will invite more dirtbags & lazy sleezeballs to your business. Good luck!
no more secrets

Palatine, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2010

Judged:

We already have dirtbags & lazy sleezeballs in our business--they manage the home deephole and that is why a union is needed to balance fair labor practice. It is not about competing with average people; it's about stopping management by intimidation, sex discrimination, age discrimination, and total disregard for Americans with disabilities act.
Expect us

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2010

Judged:

Yerboy wrote:
Unions for the lazy & selfish. You want a union because you can't survive or compete with average people. Unions are the first sign that your business will not survive. It will invite more dirtbags & lazy sleezeballs to your business. Good luck!
Wow you just insulted 15 Million Americans that are cops, teachers, engineers, nurses, machinist, firemen just to name a few. Can't compete and survive with who? White males? Your region has the HIGHEST amount of sexism and racism in the company!!! If in your mind you mean white male when you mean “average people”…yeah it would be a bit hard to compete with an RVP and Divisional President that is fine with what appears to be blatant sexist and racist outlook on staffing a region of leaders. Additionally what would help is some protection from what the law does not protect from, as it is a work at will (and fire at will for that matter) state. The average wage in your state is $11 an hour. Women and minoties are overlooked or forced out at an alarming rate in your area. Is that fine by you?!?! Does that not raise a few eyebrows?? Ahh I guess not if you work at Store Support or for the cronies that enforce this alarming trend of sexism and racism as I am sure you do. Home Depot associates overwhelmingly NEED a union because the company has not listened and will not listen to the facts. The executives in the company have the hiring and firing statistics. They have the facts and do not care about them. Ohh and by the way …its associates on all levels that are organizing. I assure you we are FAR from lazy and I wouldn’t even justify your other ignorant characterizations of the legion of people working to bring fairness to the ranks of hard working hourly Home Depot Associates everywhere. Thanks for the good wishes but we don’t need luck when we have all the hard working people at Home Depot that want and need this to happen.:-)
Expect us

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2010

Judged:

no more secrets wrote:
We already have dirtbags & lazy sleezeballs in our business--they manage the home deephole and that is why a union is needed to balance fair labor practice. It is not about competing with average people; it's about stopping management by intimidation, sex discrimination, age discrimination, and total disregard for Americans with disabilities act.
You so brilliantly stated it!! Right on the money!! Bravo!!!

“Defecting to Mexico”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2010

Judged:

Yerboy wrote:
They don't want to hear that. They simply want to get more money for less work. That's what unions give you. I was in one for years and I'm a hard ethical worker. People like me don't need unions. The lazy worker is the one that uses the unions to keep their job. Unions are why America can't compete anymore. Judge me nuts all you want, but you'll just have to find out the hard way. The last place I worked had a union and we had factory workers making 90k + with overtime per year. That company moved to China because it couldn't afford to stay in the states. There was a time when unions were necessary, but that time is gone. The only people the unions help are themselves and the lazy worker. Yerboy hit the nail on the head. Talk to me in 5 years and I bet those of you who are ethical, good workers will have a different stance on unions.
Expect us

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2010

Judged:

With all due respect NetGuru you do not have any of the facts. Here they are: The average wage of people working in the stores is $10-11 hours and the stores on average make 25-30% profit margin. A 30 million dollar store pays out $2Million in salary and in most cases YOU CAN BE FIRED FOR ANYTHING. Whether its your fault or not. YOU HAVE ZERO PROTECTIONS AS AN EMPLOYEE AT HOME DEPOT. I hear what you are saying but we do all the back breaking work. We bust our asses in these warehouses and are often treated terribly. We are incredibly ethical, incredibly hardworking and simply want some reasonable protections. We want to be paid fairly and reviewed for promotion fairly. Home Depot has blatantly been promoting, hiring and firing in a manner that has not been fair since the company started. It time for change because my friend the company is not listening. More importantly this is a company of executives and managers that the FACSTS support have become the slimiest, two faced, deceitful liars , cheats, and thieves that exists in ANY company.

“Defecting to Mexico”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2010

Judged:

Expect us wrote:
With all due respect NetGuru you do not have any of the facts. Here they are: The average wage of people working in the stores is $10-11 hours and the stores on average make 25-30% profit margin. A 30 million dollar store pays out $2Million in salary and in most cases YOU CAN BE FIRED FOR ANYTHING. Whether its your fault or not. YOU HAVE ZERO PROTECTIONS AS AN EMPLOYEE AT HOME DEPOT. I hear what you are saying but we do all the back breaking work. We bust our asses in these warehouses and are often treated terribly. We are incredibly ethical, incredibly hardworking and simply want some reasonable protections. We want to be paid fairly and reviewed for promotion fairly. Home Depot has blatantly been promoting, hiring and firing in a manner that has not been fair since the company started. It time for change because my friend the company is not listening. More importantly this is a company of executives and managers that the FACSTS support have become the slimiest, two faced, deceitful liars , cheats, and thieves that exists in ANY company.
I respect your stance, but honestly, you just described 99% of the companies in America. Most companies are run just like that. Quit and go somewhere else and you'll find the same thing. The grass is always greener on the other side. I'm not trying to offend anyone (impossible, I know) but you get paid in America based on how many people can do your job. Pro atheletes make more than me because I can't throw a football 80 yards, CEO's make more than me because I can't multi-task like they can. Again, not trying to offend, but why should you make more than $11 an hour to do a job that many unemployed people are willing and able to do right now? They are in business to make money. Part of that is to hire labor as cheap as the economy will allow to maximize their profits. As far as getting promoted unfairly, welcome to the business world. When you own a company do you want the employees telling you who to promote? I'm not denying anything you said in your post, it was spot on. I just don't believe it's any different than most companies.

“Defecting to Mexico”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2010

Judged:

Expect us wrote:
Honestly, I'm guessing you are a union head already. You want to talk about crooks? The unions are the #1 biggest crooks in America today and you want their help? I don't have a horse in this race, but all I can say is "Good luck".

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2010

Judged:

Expect us wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow you just insulted 15 Million Americans that are cops, teachers, engineers, nurses, machinist, firemen just to name a few. Can't compete and survive with who? White males? Your region has the HIGHEST amount of sexism and racism in the company!!! If in your mind you mean white male when you mean “average people”…yeah it would be a bit hard to compete with an RVP and Divisional President that is fine with what appears to be blatant sexist and racist outlook on staffing a region of leaders. Additionally what would help is some protection from what the law does not protect from, as it is a work at will (and fire at will for that matter) state. The average wage in your state is $11 an hour. Women and minoties are overlooked or forced out at an alarming rate in your area. Is that fine by you?!?! Does that not raise a few eyebrows?? Ahh I guess not if you work at Store Support or for the cronies that enforce this alarming trend of sexism and racism as I am sure you do. Home Depot associates overwhelmingly NEED a union because the company has not listened and will not listen to the facts. The executives in the company have the hiring and firing statistics. They have the facts and do not care about them. Ohh and by the way …its associates on all levels that are organizing. I assure you we are FAR from lazy and I wouldn’t even justify your other ignorant characterizations of the legion of people working to bring fairness to the ranks of hard working hourly Home Depot Associates everywhere. Thanks for the good wishes but we don’t need luck when we have all the hard working people at Home Depot that want and need this to happen.:-)
Yes I certainly did insult them. The examples you gave (cops, teachers, engineers, nurses, machinist, firemen) all have MANY members that wouldn't have a job if it weren't the union. They would be unemployable otherwise. In 25 years I have never seen a union work that was beneficial for both the company & union workers. Nor have I seen a union that didn't end up burying the business and everyone in it. UNIONS DO NOT WORK!

“Defecting to Mexico”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2010

Judged:

Expect us wrote:
<quoted text>
Net guru the point I am making is simple. Lets say you are correct that the 99% of the companies are the same way (which I seriously disagree with) does that make it correct? Does it make it right? Does it make it tolerable?? Does it make it something we should just accept and roll over?? For a company to turn a blind eye to injustice of this magnitude is incredibly irresponsible. Here is the deal: the company could address this on its own!! But it hasn’t. Much of what associates want is fairness and respect for being hardworking and contributing strongly to the great profitability of the company. Clearly the law favors the company. There is no doubt about that. But you are not asking the important question: What is it that the associates organizing want? Additionally if you are so vocal about this what is your motivation? Clearly you are not an hourly associate. Clearly you could not be just a customer because customer service in Home Depot is terrible. What is your motivation to repeat the “anti-union” speaking point’s line and verse from the Home Depot Managers training guide? Are you a Manager ? SSC? You can see by the 1000’s of posts online hourly workers are mistreated, discriminated against and fired for ridiculous reasons. That is okay by you ??
We live in a nation built on fighting for what one believes in. We have skin in the game because we are tired of being treated so poorly and paid a laughable wage. That is our motivation for change. What is your motivation to defend a company INFAMOUS for its terrible and well know **** poor employment practices?
My anti Union stance comes from experience. I don't disagree with you about right and wrong. But there has to be a better way than the unions. I worked at the Airport as a janitor for years for the Port Authority in a union. I made 11 dollars and hour and had pretty good benefits threw United Health Care. I worked hard and steady every day. 60% of the other workers slept in closets or spent all their effort avoiding management all shift long. The manager took a polaroid of a guy sleeping in a closet and the union got him a second chance. The VERY NEXT DAY the manager got another picture of him sleeping and again the union got him off. You're going to end up trading poor Home Depot management for crooked union's and the final result will be that you have a little more pay (though they will inevitably cut positions to pay for the increase, so thanks for screwing your buddy) that will be unnoticeable due to union fees and the same benefits. You think they are helping you but they are only helping themselves. I'm just a lower class guy with no management experience or anything like that so maybe I'm wrong on this, but that is my experience with unions. They only way to beat the union is to get an education and get a better job.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of539
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Home Depot Discussions

Search the Home Depot Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
home depot sucks!!!!!! (Aug '09) 13 hr bleeding orange in cali 199
Military discount program 16 hr Greg 4
meal breaks 23 hr Jay 4
late write up (Feb '11) Apr 15 sal 12
Home Depot CEO, Frank Blake Implicated In Emplo... (Aug '08) Apr 14 Douglas of Morgan Hill 173
Potential Child molester at store 8597 Auburn Ca. Apr 13 dannysd 2
management Apr 13 annon 1
•••
•••
•••
•••