outside sales Consultant

outside sales Consultant

Posted in the Home Depot Forum

Diane

New London, CT

#1 Jan 31, 2010
See posting on outside Sales consultant, full time at home Depot, is this a salary or hourly job. Are benefits offered. Any idea on the pay rate for this job. is commission involved
Bobo

Columbia, SC

#2 Feb 1, 2010
These are paid commission jobs only. If you do not sell then no money coming in. All your expenses come out of your own pocket...gasoline....you name....you pay for it.

Plus if you do not sell....then THD will eliminate your job...fire you. I have known three people who took these jobs and all three have been fired by THD.....for not meeting sales goals.

These are dead end sales positions.
Pixy

Escalon, CA

#3 Mar 2, 2011
These are commision only jobs where you have to prospect / harass your own customers in the store. All expenses do come out of your pocket. They set the prices high and your success rate is low. When you get burnt out, they hire someone else to do what you couldn't do.
onlytruth

Cathedral City, CA

#4 Mar 4, 2011
Truth is all positions at home deephole are dead end with no future.
Bubba

United States

#5 Aug 23, 2011
They are commission only jobs. My area reimbursed for mileage, but that my not be true of all. You are expected to sell a minimum of abt $7300 worth of "jobs" a week, and will be "warned" in writing if you do not. You are told going in that selling 2-3 jobs a week averaging $5500/ea is "the norm", but I have not seen it yet. The BEST sales people average less than than that, and make it up in volume. Do the math: 10-15 appointments each week for 2-3 hours per appt equals 20-45 hours. Then travel, report the outcomes of your appts, and visit your store or stores to make more appts. Its an easy 60 hour work week if you are trying to do the job right.

Sales meetings, follow-up on your appts ( sold and un-sold ), and resolving "issues" that develop with your sold jobs are all done during your unpaid time, and they do add up.

Mgmnt will never admit it, but your success is due to you and your area/store. Work your *$#@* off in a weak economic area, and your sales will average less than $3000/ea, you'll never make a decent living, and they will let you go for "insufficient performance". In the almost 12 months I made a go of it, there were only 3 faces left from when I started, and I saw 20+ faces come and go.

Good luck, but honestly, a minimum wage associate's job in one of the stores would have paid me more for working 20 hours weekly than I earned in commissions working 10-12 hours, 6 days a week.

“What happened to self reliance”

Since: Jul 11

Los Altos Hills, CA

#6 Aug 23, 2011
onlytruth wrote:
Truth is all positions at home deephole are dead end with no future.
Truth is, working in retail is a dead-end job.
Softhands

Riverview, FL

#7 Feb 25, 2012
You just need to learn how to close, sales is not for everyone...Loosers!

“What happened to self reliance”

Since: Jul 11

Los Altos Hills, CA

#8 Feb 26, 2012
Softhands wrote:
Nope, it's for people can't find a real job. I prefer mines tighter.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#9 Feb 26, 2012
Softhands wrote:
-------You do not even know how to spell.(LOSER)

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#10 Mar 18, 2012
@ Bubba and anyone else having held this job: I've been torn for weeks about this, I think I kept Home Depot waiting on my answer for this position for 4 weeks, I've managed and worked in retail for years. 7 years ago I began a painting busines which went well until the housing market crashed and everyone is holding onto their money...blah blah, long story short(ened)- I was told in the interview that the appointments would be scheduled for me (3 daily) but that I also would work in the store to generate my own. I've rooughly spent our excess fundage toward the end of the paint gig...been working for a merchandising co 20 hours weekly for 3 months...anyway I swapped to nights with them(mainly due to HD's 100% commission...and I'll start with HD in the morning. So if you're still reading this ;) There
s no way I can NOT make any money at this, I certainly don't expect to rake it in, or I'd never kept my other job...but what I wanna know is how quick are they to release you for performance....not that I doubt my ethics and abilities...more the economy and housing market atm...teamed with higher prices and install labor I'll be selling for HD. Part of the reason I accepted this job was my paint history...I know every contractor in town and thought that would be good for me, eh, but no...I learn I make no missions unless we install the stuff, course what contractor would pay anyone ut theire employes for this? SO.....is there not one person out there with a success story holding this job? I want to hear everyone with experience give me a word of advice hopefully soon...also will they just fire you...or say, would it be possible to move to an hourly associate?
Barry B

San Pablo, CA

#11 Jun 15, 2012
I was interested in a position with Home Depot and saw the ad for Home Depot Outside Sales, and investigated this opportunity. My conclusion is, if Home Depot Outside Sales amounted to anything worth while they would offer a base salary plus commission, a full benefit package and a company car with gas card, like small companies offer.
I have 23 years of big ticket sales experience and achieved being the top sales person where I have worked over the years.
In my experience, I have never found a company that properly trains someone to close. It was after I bought my own sales training that I became a top salesperson where I worked. So, what I'm saying is to be a top sales person you have to invest in yourself just like college.
In addition, I always try to help other salespeople when ever I can. I never make fun of people who are doing their best working under unprofessional sales management that don't know how to support and train there staff.
Mickey

Hudson, NY

#12 Jul 2, 2012
Hmmmm I don't know...any of you ever have a sales consultant job before working at Home Depot?? I mean did you ever do bids for jobs that are meant to be for contractors?? I have. I have bid on various construction jobs by getting leads through the Dodge Reports and Brown's Letters as well as ServiceMagic. Recently, I received bids on 15 roofing jobs. Now, if Home Depot doesn't want them, then I subcontract them out to other contractors. You can't leave your pants down my friends. What I mean by that, is if it doesn't work for you with Home Depot, then make sure you have something extra in your back pocket, as a back-up so you don't get canned. I have my own contracting business, where I place bids on various jobs, and then I sub them out and make a nice commission. I have contractor's knocking on my door or calling me at all hours asking if i have a job for them. So, if Home Depot doesn't work for you, then stop the gripe, and try another route. Make your goals work for you. Work smart and not hard. And most of all, think positive, have an I Can Attitude.
Chicago Player

Hoboken, NJ

#13 Jul 4, 2012
I agree it is impossible to make a go of it without HD support. To start, that means helping with your expenses, some weekly income at least long enough to get you on your feet and prices that allow you to get orders and commissions even when business came in from your protected territory without you generating it.
Sadly, IMHO, if you were to be a huge income earner, I think HD would find a way to get rid of you to hire a part time replacement or two.
bill dodge

AOL

#14 Mar 26, 2013
Going for interview tomorrow for outside sales rep
any [email protected]
Abby L

Memphis, TN

#16 Aug 7, 2013
bill dodge wrote:
Going for interview tomorrow for outside sales rep
any [email protected]
Just got asked to join. I see you posted in May... How is it going?
cmoneyt

Norcross, GA

#19 Feb 26, 2015
Dr Moonshine wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth is, working in retail is a dead-end job.
I'm doing this now and I live it great pay perks and benefits, you are a shit if you can't make this work
cmoneyt

Norcross, GA

#20 Feb 26, 2015
Abby L wrote:
<quoted text>
Just got asked to join. I see you posted in May... How is it going?
If you have no construction back ground, don't do it, knowledge is key

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Home Depot Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Home Depot worker's 'America Was Never Great' h... Mon WEfought4U 8
Stores Maxxmar May 27 Anonymous 2
Tried to return defective flooring and got denied May 24 ariesfrk 2
3 year employee at the home depot making the sa... May 23 DOWNBUTnot out 10
Anything goes at Home Depot (Jun '09) May 20 CASEINPOINTmgr 24
Employee and customer complaints fall on deaf ears (Jan '10) May 17 ANONYMOUS 34
ratings (Apr '14) May 17 Raani 60
More from around the web